Author Topic: House passes ObamaCare repeal, sending measure to president  (Read 3411 times)

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
Re: House passes ObamaCare repeal, sending measure to president
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2016, 04:37:02 pm »
It doesn't make up for the omnibus budget last month (which was treachery - IMO - that can never be forgiven), or the fact that they aren't highlighting and forcing Obama to repeatedly veto a suspension of the Syrian refugee program...but they did the right thing making him veto this.  Now they should do it over and over...making him veto it every other month or so this entire year.  You need to do things repeatedly to get the impact to sink in.

I think they are playing games because their ass has been scalded by their own voters, but it is not wrong to do this.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 04:37:23 pm by Scottftlc »
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2016, 05:11:40 pm »
It doesn't make up for the omnibus budget last month (which was treachery - IMO - that can never be forgiven), or the fact that they aren't highlighting and forcing Obama to repeatedly veto a suspension of the Syrian refugee program...but they did the right thing making him veto this.  Now they should do it over and over...making him veto it every other month or so this entire year.  You need to do things repeatedly to get the impact to sink in.

I think they are playing games because their ass has been scalded by their own voters, but it is not wrong to do this.

ABSOLUTELY right! 100%!  :patriot:

Where I grew up we called it "closing the barn door after the horse is out"!
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 05:28:40 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2016, 05:19:11 pm »

:beer:

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2016, 05:48:33 pm »

I question the timing.  Why didn't they do this before they caved on the budget?  What took them so long?

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2016, 06:17:41 pm »
Why YES GOPE, the voters actually expected you to follow thur on your promises

The Pledge to America is a list of proposed legislative items that the Republican Party promised to pursue in the 112th Congress if Republicans gained a majority of the seats in the U.S. House of Representatives in the November 2010 election.[1] The Pledge to America was written by Rep. Kevin McCarthy's staffer Brian Wild at the behest of House Republican leaders.[2] The Pledge to America was publicly released on September 23, 2010, at a hardware store in Sterling, Virginia.[3]

Contents

1 Main points
    2 Reactions
    3 Fundraising and electoral results
    4 Legislative results
    5 See also
    6 References
    7 External links

Main points

The pledge criticized the Obama administration, stating that "An arrogant and out-of-touch government of self-appointed elites makes decisions, issues mandates, and enacts laws without accepting or requesting the input of the many". It lists a number of issues, along with the Republican plan to solve them.

In the pledge, Republicans call for:

Extending the temporary tax cuts passed under President George W. Bush in 2001 and 2003 for all taxpayers, including those for those earning over $200,000 ($250,000 for married couples).
    A tax deduction for small businesses on up to 20 percent of their business income.
    A hold on all unspent funds authorized as part of 2009's stimulus bill or the 2008 TARP legislation.
    Roll back government spending to 2008 levels, to save $100 billion while exempting "seniors, veterans, and our troops" from cuts; this would entail cutting 21 percent of the $477 billion budgeted for domestic discretionary spending.[4]
    A hiring freeze on all federal agencies except those necessary to national security.
    A repeal of the 2010 health-care reform bill.
    Reform of medical liability and health insurance practices.
    A permanent ban on any federal funding for abortion.
    A requirement that Congress post all bills online three days before a vote.
    A requirement that lawmakers cite the specific constitutional authority that enables the legislation.
    A ban on trials on U.S. soil for detainees currently held at Guantanamo Bay.

I had forgotten this.  We might ought to send copies of it to our "representatives" & "public servants" in Congress.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2016, 06:21:01 pm »
I had forgotten this.  We might ought to send copies of it to our "representatives" & "public servants" in Congress.

And I'm sure they will file that in their "circular" file cabinet (garbage can).

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline flowers

« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2016, 06:44:39 pm »
Yes, uncle Harry gave them permission
If we didn't need anymore evidence that this is all just for some type of political gain and kabuki theater.....here is your sign. Reid gave the OK.

So now what? obama will have a hour long special on how congress is wants to take away your healthcare?  What if obama just rips this up and doesn't sign it or veto it. If he rips it up and throws it away it now give way for him to do so with all legislation that hits his desk. This must be the real reason Reid let them send this to him. :tinfoil:

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2016, 06:57:44 pm »
If we didn't need anymore evidence that this is all just for some type of political gain and kabuki theater.....here is your sign. Reid gave the OK.

So now what? obama will have a hour long special on how congress is wants to take away your healthcare?  What if obama just rips this up and doesn't sign it or veto it. If he rips it up and throws it away it now give way for him to do so with all legislation that hits his desk. This must be the real reason Reid let them send this to him. :tinfoil:

Reid did no such thing! The Senate used the reconciliation process to pass it after they got there asses handed them back home during the Christmas break!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2016, 07:09:27 pm »
Reid did no such thing! The Senate used the reconciliation process to pass it after they got there asses handed them back home during the Christmas break!

Yes they did...and frankly, I think it would have been even better if the Democrats were forced to filibuster endlessly to save Obama from getting this on his desk to veto.  That would have been wonderful theater, this theater requires repeated performances as he will probably veto at 1 AM on the day of the Super Bowl.
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Offline flowers

« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2016, 07:17:44 pm »
OK thank you for info.