General Category > Politics/Government

Republican eyes DOJ budget to block Obama gun orders

(1/1)

mystery-ak:
http://thehill.com/regulation/264714-house-republican-defund-doj-over-gun-executive-orders

By Tim Devaney - 01/04/16 05:24 PM EST

A powerful House Republican is threatening to block President Obama’s executive order on guns by defunding the Department of Justice (DOJ).

In a letter to Attorney General Loretta Lynch, Rep. John Culberson (R-Texas), chairman of the Appropriations subcommittee that oversees the Justice Department, warned against enforcing the new gun restrictions.

"The next twelve months will be an especially dangerous time for Americans who treasure our Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms,” Culberson said.

"I have formally notified Attorney General Lynch that I will aggressively protect our Second Amendment rights using Congress' power of the purse,” he added. "I notified the attorney general that if the Department of Justice attempted to create new restrictions on our Constitutional rights that I would use every tool at my disposal to immediately restrict their access to federal funding.”

Culberson appears to be the first Republican to call to block DOJ funding over the executive action on guns.

In future budget agreements, House appropriators could specifically prohibit the Justice Department from enforcing the gun restrictions without defunding the entire agency.

Culberson warned Lynch not to “create new law” in his letter.

“The House Appropriations Committee will not provide resources to your department for the development or implementation of unlawful limitations on the unambiguous Second Amendment rights of Americans,” Culberson wrote.

Culberson’s letter follows harsh words that Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) had for the Obama administration earlier Monday.

He accused Obama of “subverting” Congress by taking executive action on gun control.

“We all are pained by the recent atrocities in our country, but no change the president is reportedly considering would have prevented them,” Ryan said.

Scottftlc:
I have a couple of questions: 1. Given the nature of the "negotiations" regarding the last omnibus budget, what confidence should we have that you will carry this position through the conflicts and demagoguery which will result from such a threat?  2.  When the Attorney General claims loudly in the media that your position on her agency's budget means that all Americans will be much more vulnerable to terrorists if her department is defunded - given that her department is where the money for the FBI and other Federal law enforcement entities resides - what are you going to say then???

alicewonders:
Good questions Scott.  Personally, I'm not holding my breath to see them fight much of anything.

libertybele:
Same old song and dance to a different scenario.  Once again this Congress will do absolutely nothing.  If they do, Hussein will take it all the way to the SCOTUS.  Given their track record I'm not so sure they will rule in favor of the 2nd Amendment. Right now Hussein is only testing the waters...IF "We the People" and Congress do nothing, he will do everything he can to strip us of our rights under the 2nd Amendment. 

flowers:
http://media2.giphy.com/media/Fml0fgAxVx1eM/giphy.gif

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version