Author Topic: SAS to spearhead operation involving 1,000 British troops to wrest back control of a dozen oil fields from ISIS in Libya  (Read 654 times)

rangerrebew

SAS to spearhead operation involving 1,000 British troops to wrest back control of a dozen oil fields from ISIS in Libya

British special forces to lead offensive by 6,000 U.S. and European soldiers
    SAS will advise Libyan commanders on key tactics to control the battlefield
    ISIS has seized several oil fields and is targeting biggest refinery in region

By Simon Tomlinson for MailOnline

Published: 03:25 EST, 4 January 2016 | Updated: 14:20 EST, 4 January 2016

British special forces have been sent to Libya in a bid to halt the advance of the Islamic State, it has been reported.

SAS troops are understood to be preparing for an offensive involving 1,000 British soldiers to wrest back control of a dozen oil fields seized by the jihadists.

ISIS has taken advantage of the lawlessness since the 2011 ouster of Colonel Gaddafi to make large gains along the coastline, setting up its power base in the former dictator's hometown of Sirte.

Mirroring its strategy in Iraq and Syria, the terror group has seized a number of revenue-boosting oil fields and are now targeting the Marsa al Brega refinery, the biggest in North Africa.

In an attempt to stop the advance, a major coalition offensive is planned within the next few weeks or months, it was reported by The Daily Mirror.

The operation will involve around 6,000 U.S. and European soldiers led by Italian forces, the SAS and military close observation experts from the Special Reconnaissance Regiment.

British experts will advise Libyan military commanders on so-called 'battle-space management' – tactics and skills needed to control the battlefield.

They will also send intelligence back to MoD chiefs that could be used to determine whether airstrikes are needed.

A senior military source told the Mirror: 'This Coalition will provide a wide range of resources from surveillance, to strike operations against Islamic State who have made significant progress in Libya.

'We have an advance force on the ground who will make an assessment of the situation and identify where attacks should be made and highlight the threats to our forces.'

As the heart of the ISIS caliphate in Syria and Iraq shrinks, Firas Abi Ali, Middle East analyst at research firm IHS, has predicted ISIS would likely see oil-rich Libya as a 'plan B' and expand there.

He said: 'Moreover, the ideologies of jihadism and of political Islam are alive and well. It is far too soon to write off Islamic State and organisations similar to it.'

Libya has been in chaos since the 2011 ouster of Gaddafi and now has two governments and parliaments.

Jihadist groups such as the Islamic State have made gains along the coastline and the UN estimates that fighting has forced 435,000 people from their homes.

Meanwhile, the UN's envoy for Libya held talks in Tripoli Friday, seeking to encourage the administration there to commit to a national unity government that would end years of bloodshed.

Martin Kobler, on a desperate diplomatic push to get Libya's two separate administrations to sign a power-sharing agreement, met on Thursday with representatives of the internationally-recognised government near its headquarters in the east of the country.

On December 17, under UN guidance, envoys from both sides and a number of independent political figures signed a deal to unify the government.

Around 80 of 188 lawmakers from Libya's internationally recognised parliament and 50 of 136 members of the rival Tripoli-based General National Congress signed the deal.

It calls for a 17-member government, headed by businessman Fayez el-Sarraj as premier, based in Tripoli.

But analysts have cast doubt on the viability of a deal that would seek to bring together two parliaments controlled by hardliners.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3383459/SAS-spearhead-operation-involving-1-000-British-troops-wrest-control-dozen-oil-fields-seized-ISIS-Libya.html#ixzz3wJeuW1Tj
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
On December 17, under UN guidance, envoys from both sides and a number of independent political figures signed a deal to unify the government.

Sounded like a good idea until I got to that.  The ISIS gov't and the internationally recommended gov't have signed a deal to unify?

But 6000 troops are being sent to "wrest back control of a dozen oil fields from ISIS in Libya".  Have the two governments unified?  Or not?

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Sounded like a good idea until I got to that.  The ISIS gov't and the internationally recommended gov't have signed a deal to unify?

But 6000 troops are being sent to "wrest back control of a dozen oil fields from ISIS in Libya".  Have the two governments unified?  Or not?

There has never been a single idea that contained the words "under UN guidance" that turned out to be good and I personally doubt there ever will be!
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 01:41:47 am by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
This is just another outcome of Obama's infamous "Arab Spring". The Arab Spring program was intended to put the Muslim Brother in power in Libya, Tunisia, Morocco, Egypt, and Syria. He was trying to build his own Caliphate using the Muslim Brotherhood. He was trying to install his own 'home boys' in these countries. However the people of those countries did not want Obama's crew running their country. And they fought them, and threw them out.

The failure of this misguided, wholly illegal, and 'failed' program will be felt for decades all across Africa, the M.E., and Europe.

I don't know who can clean up Obama's and Hillary's mess, but it may take a global conflagration at this point, to get everything back to a point of stability.

The U.N. is useless. It will take someone like Putin. Or it will take a strong American leader who is unafraid, to put Humpty Dumpty back together again, after Obama/Hillary pushed him off the wall.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Paladin

"The operation will involve around 6,000 U.S. and European soldiers led by Italian forces, the SAS and military close observation experts from the Special Reconnaissance Regiment."

US troops? That doesn't sound like Obama. He's terrified of the possibility of American casualties. How big is our contingent projected to be and does it consist of Special Forces units only?
Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.