Author Topic: Rush: Caller: My Republican Friends and Relatives Won’t Vote for Trump  (Read 4165 times)

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Re: Rush: Caller: My Republican Friends and Relatives Won’t Vote for Trump
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2016, 05:27:48 pm »
There is no way your or anyone else could embarrass me over supporting/voting for Trump.
I just don't bother on TBR anymore because all I read is childish name calling and I just have no interest.
Not once has anyone discussed how any of his plans would not work, just he's a democrat, he is a plant, he has a big mouth... blah blah blah..

Not worth my time.

When all is said and done, the same machine that gave us Romney and McCain are going to give us Bush/Rubio/?? and I will go to the polls once again and hold my nose to vote against the democrats.

It's a straw man to suggest we need Trump to prevent Bush from being the nominee.  Bush is toast, it's just a matter of time before he drops out.  What Trump may well prevent is a principled conservative from becoming the nominee. 

I'm honest about my primary goal for this election season - preventing a megalomaniac and demogogue from becoming President.  Look to history - demogogues appeal to those who are easily led or manipulated.   So, no, I have no respect for Trump supporters.   Why not support Cruz?  Why not support Fiorina (as I do)?   Why not support a principled conservative you can be proud of?       
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2016, 05:30:55 pm »
Exactly. We are all entitled to our own opinion, and I was not about to have a circular argument with sinkspur day in and day out. So, mostly I stayed quiet--unless he started in with personal insults.

2016 is just beginning. I don't want to keep repeating everything I say over and over again trying to justify my humble opinion. As always, people will vote their conscience. I feel confident to say that as the strongest candidate, Donald Trump will be nominated--unless the RNC tries something foolish.

Sound advice!  I actually find it comical at this point, we keep seeing the same foolish memes being spouted over and over, often weeks and months after they been soundly discredited.  I ignore them for the most part, because all of the squeals don't amount to a hill of beans in the larger picture.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2016, 05:33:04 pm »
I feel confident to say that as the strongest candidate, Donald Trump will be nominated--unless the RNC tries something foolish.

Strongest in terms of winning the general election?   That's absurd - Trump will be massacred, and the conservative movement will be set back 20 years.   

It's not up to the RNC.   That's another straw man, that the RNC can somehow manipulate the voters.  Only the voters can reject Trumpism in favor of principled conservatism.   Or reject Trumpism in favor of another four years of liberal rule.  It's your choice.   

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2016, 05:36:45 pm »
It's a straw man to suggest we need Trump to prevent Bush from being the nominee.  Bush is toast, it's just a matter of time before he drops out.  What Trump may well prevent is a principled conservative from becoming the nominee. 

I'm honest about my primary goal for this election season - preventing a megalomaniac and demogogue from becoming President.  Look to history - demogogues appeal to those who are easily led or manipulated.   So, no, I have no respect for Trump supporters.   Why not support Cruz?  Why not support Fiorina (as I do)?   Why not support a principled conservative you can be proud of?       

As I have said many times... I am excited about both Trump and Cruz, just hope one of them make it to the Virginia primary, they are my focus and they are both principled conservatives that I am proud of.

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2016, 05:38:59 pm »
It's a straw man to suggest we need Trump to prevent Bush from being the nominee.   

I'm honest about my primary goal for this election season - preventing a megalomaniac and demogogue from becoming President.       

No one that I am aware of is supporting Trump for the purpose of preventing Bush.  Preventing the Republican establishment (which just gave us the omnibus budget) from choosing its nominee, yes I have heard that, but Bush specifically has not really been a factor ever. There may be some who think that...there is always someone that thinks anything. Hillary thinks we've been visited by space aliens. 

It is your premise (megalomaniac, demagogue) here that we reject out of hand.  You say he is a megalomaniac...that is a personal opinion of yours and should not - and will not - be considered fact by any others who do not hold that same opinion.  It is also Alinsky-like demagoguery on its own part...so you shouldn't complain about a "demagogue" by being a demagogue.  If your goal is preventing a megalomaniac and you consider Trump to be such, then you will be voting for Hillary.

Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Offline aligncare

« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2016, 05:42:41 pm »
Strongest in terms of winning the general election?   That's absurd - Trump will be massacred, and the conservative movement will be set back 20 years.   

It's not up to the RNC.   That's another straw man, that the RNC can somehow manipulate the voters.  Only the voters can reject Trumpism in favor of principled conservatism.   Or reject Trumpism in favor of another four years of liberal rule.  It's your choice.   

The RNC rule changes in 2012 allow them to simply take away a candidate's delegates under virtually any pretext, and at any time. That's the reason why early in the process Trump had Reince Priebus sign a deal that stipulated the RNC would not try any funny stuff and that in return Trump would not go rogue.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2016, 06:43:00 pm »
As I have said many times... I am excited about both Trump and Cruz, just hope one of them make it to the Virginia primary, they are my focus and they are both principled conservatives that I am proud of.

Trump a principled conservative?  On what basis?   Over the years, he's contributed to and voted for Democrats,  advocated a single payer health system, enthusiastically supported the abuse of eminent domain,  stiffed his own creditors by declaring his companies bankrupt, and supported a woman's right to abortion.  And that's just off the top of my head.   Trump is for Trump, and will say and do anything to fool the weak-minded.   

Offline aligncare

« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2016, 07:06:25 pm »
Trump a principled conservative?  On what basis?   Over the years, he's contributed to and voted for Democrats,  advocated a single payer health system, enthusiastically supported the abuse of eminent domain,  stiffed his own creditors by declaring his companies bankrupt, and supported a woman's right to abortion.  And that's just off the top of my head.   Trump is for Trump, and will say and do anything to fool the weak-minded.   

Did you vote for Mitt Romney?

Did you know Mitt Romney cofounded and led the spin-off company Bain Capital?

In his 2009 book The Buyout of America: How Private Equity Is Destroying Jobs and Killing the American Economy, Josh Kosman described Bain Capital as "notorious for its failure to plow profits back into its businesses," being the first large private-equity firm to derive a large fraction of its revenues from corporate dividends..... In at least some instances, companies acquired by Bain borrowed money in order to increase their dividend payments, ultimately leading to the collapse of what had been financially stable businesses.[55]

Did you know that Bain Capital gave millions in political contributions to, wait for it...Democrats?

Did you know as governor of Massachusetts Mitt Romney signed MassCare into law, the model for Obamacare?

So, what's your point?

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2016, 08:18:54 pm »

Well, my number one priority is the USA, not the party.
Blind allegiance to the party is the reason we have this mess in the first place.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2016, 08:22:53 pm »
Yes, aligncare,  I voted for Romney, and would do so again.  He's a good man - and his opponent was and is a disaster.   I had disagreements with the man, but on balance I supported more of his positions than I opposed.   As for merits of RomneyCare,  I'd like to have that discussion with you, but not in the context of this thread.  (For what it's worth, I'm the author of a treatise, now in its sixth printing, explaining the Affordable Care Act to employers.)

If you want to vote for Trump, then go right ahead.   But I'd love to try to persuade you to support one of the excellent conservatives in this race.     
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 12:09:49 am by Jazzhead »

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2016, 08:24:14 pm »
Well, my number one priority is the USA, not the party.
Blind allegiance to the party is the reason we have this mess in the first place.

But blind allegiance to Donald Trump is hardly a substitute.   We have some excellent candidates - excellent conservatives - who are having the air sucked out of their room by this expletive-spewing billionaire Archie Bunker.   

Is Trump, really, what's best for the USA?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 12:14:06 am by Jazzhead »

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2016, 08:38:50 pm »
Ed is one who you can't say follows blindly. Not if you know him in the slightest.

Dude over thinks everything.  :beer:

He has his reasons, that's good enough for me. Same for nearly everyone here who supports Trump - I may not agree with them, but they ain't sheep. They THINK things through.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2016, 08:42:30 pm »
But don't expect me to respect you, not when you have the chance to support one of the excellent conservatives in this race.     

Not to speak for the site's owner or the Mods, I do believe that respect is expected on this board.  If you do disrespect someone, that is something that you should keep to yourself and not display here.
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Offline flowers

« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2016, 08:42:58 pm »
From what little I am seeing around here the ones who don't like Trump wouldn't are Hil types. Family and friends I know that haven't voted in decades say the will vote for Trump. By the way all of you saying a vote for hil is like a vote for Trump................................How many dead bodies are on Trumps watch?  How many of billions of dollars has been gotten via selling of state secrets with Trump?  888sunglass  :smokin:

Offline flowers

« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2016, 08:46:59 pm »
The RNC rule changes in 2012 allow them to simply take away a candidate's delegates under virtually any pretext, and at any time.
That is exactly what I think will happen if Trump or Cruz gets it. :smokin:

Offline musiclady

« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2016, 09:01:06 pm »
So, if it comes down to Hillary vs Trump, your team will stay home?
That is the same as voting for Hillary in my book.

Did I say that?  Or did you just draw the wrong conclusion?
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2016, 09:04:03 pm »

It's not up to the RNC.   That's another straw man, that the RNC can somehow manipulate the voters.  Only the voters can reject Trumpism in favor of principled conservatism.    Or reject Trumpism in favor of another four years of liberal rule.  It's your choice.   

That's the bottom line.

Principled Conservatives need to win the day in the primary.  If not, the country won't make it back.........

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2016, 09:10:41 pm »
So why the blind allegiance to Donald Trump?

My eye are wide open, thanks to caffeine...
I understand his faults, and yes sometimes he gets to me too, but I also understand his strengths.
He is not worried about re-election and he is already a billionaire so he has the best chance at:
- reducing/eliminating agencies without being concerned with what will the party/voters think.
- getting the budget back under control
- getting the military back on track
- he knows how to actually run large organizations and how to actually manage them, not just put donors into his cabinet and ignore agency abuses.

My problem is my memory of Kennedy vs Khrushchev and imagining Bush/Rubio/?? having to go toe to toe with someone like that (Putin?)
How would the next president handle a Cuban Missile Crises?
Let alone the disaster we have had with terrorism for the last 15 years.

BO has let every evil known to society out of the bag and it is going to take everything we have to gather it all up and put it back in the bag.

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2016, 09:12:49 pm »
Did I say that?  Or did you just draw the wrong conclusion?

"will not vote for Trump" is pretty clear.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2016, 10:03:54 pm »
"will not vote for Trump" is pretty clear.

Unless I was referring to the primary......

NO one in either my husband's or my family who is a conservative will vote for Trump in the primary.  I have never in all my years seen this kind of unanimity against anyone running for President.

Because, as I have stated hundreds of time to no avail to his followers, he is not conservative in any way, shape, or form, and he is not an honorable man (which still matters to some of us).

And there are decent conservatives running against him.

After he loses to a conservative in the primary because voters come to their senses, this won't be an issue, now will it??
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 10:06:47 pm by musiclady »

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #45 on: January 05, 2016, 10:29:58 pm »
Unless I was referring to the primary......

NO one in either my husband's or my family who is a conservative will vote for Trump in the primary.  I have never in all my years seen this kind of unanimity against anyone running for President.

Because, as I have stated hundreds of time to no avail to his followers, he is not conservative in any way, shape, or form, and he is not an honorable man (which still matters to some of us).

And there are decent conservatives running against him.

After he loses to a conservative in the primary because voters come to their senses, this won't be an issue, now will it??

That's cool... that is what a primary is for... support your guy/gal... and we will see who the winner is.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #46 on: January 05, 2016, 10:49:57 pm »
So why the blind allegiance to Donald Trump?

When Donald Trump first announced his intention to run for president, I had a big belly laugh. The star of a reality show? Really?

Then I started looking into his history, researching who he is, how he operates, and especially reading what people who know him personally or have worked with him professionally have to say about him.

Then I stopped laughing and started supporting. He's got the right stuff to be president in my humble opinion.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #47 on: January 06, 2016, 12:04:03 am »
Ed is one who you can't say follows blindly. Not if you know him in the slightest.

Dude over thinks everything.  :beer:

He has his reasons, that's good enough for me. Same for nearly everyone here who supports Trump - I may not agree with them, but they ain't sheep. They THINK things through.

Fair enough,  EC.   I'm new here,  and I apologize for any inference that my issues with Trump's appeal mean I don't respect individual members here, or doubt that their convictions aren't sincere and the product of reflection.   I'm going back to edit at least one post.   

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #48 on: January 06, 2016, 12:07:59 am »
Not to speak for the site's owner or the Mods, I do believe that respect is expected on this board.  If you do disrespect someone, that is something that you should keep to yourself and not display here.

I agree, Scottftlc.   That was an inappropriate and stupid thing for me to say and I apologize.   I am going to edit that post.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #49 on: January 06, 2016, 12:17:58 am »
My problem is my memory of Kennedy vs Khrushchev and imagining Bush/Rubio/?? having to go toe to toe with someone like that (Putin?)
How would the next president handle a Cuban Missile Crises?
Let alone the disaster we have had with terrorism for the last 15 years.

BO has let every evil known to society out of the bag and it is going to take everything we have to gather it all up and put it back in the bag.

So why not Fiorina?   I like your construct of a leader who can go up against Putin.  Fiorina could stand toe to toe with him,  and so could Chris Christie.   I'm not so sure about Cruz and Rubio.   
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 12:19:07 am by Jazzhead »