Author Topic: Donald Trump Winning Michigan Electorate – and With It, The Presidency  (Read 6352 times)

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
Re: Donald Trump Winning Michigan Electorate – and With It, The Presidency
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2016, 08:07:47 am »
LOL!  That's quite alright.  If you look at her long enough she's got a little of Caitlyn Jenner there.   BRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!

It's that damn "trout-pout" mouth they all get! 

**nononono*

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

HAPPY2BME

« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2016, 10:08:06 am »
In this day and age, given what people have learned about how both "Republican" and "Democrat" members of the Uniparty have governed (for many decades) while in office, saying that someone was affiliated with "DEMS" (as opposed to "GOP") is pretty much a meaningless point of comparison.

============================================

I think you are onto something there that make a lot of 'Republicans' very, very nervous (about being a 'Republican.)

Both parties are progressive liberals.  The Republicans just hide it better.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2016, 02:42:35 pm »
Ok.  I feel the same way about Cruz.  He is Superman to me and I know he will kick ass and take names and I have no doubt he will shake up the Washington cartel ... his political affiliation has always been with the GOP, while Trump's affiliation has been with the DEMS.  At any rate ... if he is the GOP nominee, I would have no problem voting for him.  I would love nothing more than to see the Clinton dynasty come to an end.

Over the years Trump registered as republican, independent and as democrat. However, he's been registered as a republican far longer than the others.

In any event, his party affiliation was always done for pragmatic reasons, as a businessman--not as a politician--and was dependent on the local power structure at the time. There's a big difference in that point. Hillary Clinton was New York State senator for 8-years, and the city was run by successive republican mayors for 20 years; Giuliani, then Bloomberg.

When it came time for him to run for president, a democrat was mayor of New York City, yet Trump ran as a Republican, and with reason. Republican is his natural state. If Donald Trump were a democrat at heart he would have run as a democrat against Hillary Clinton in the democrat primary, rather than as a republican in the republican primary.

Anyway, since the R and D establishment parties are two sides of the same coin, to me, all of this party affiliation stuff is pretty much moot.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 02:45:56 pm by aligncare »

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2016, 03:00:47 pm »
If Donald Trump were a democrat at heart he would have run as a democrat against Hillary Clinton in the democrat primary, rather than as a republican in the republican primary.

Anyway, since the R and D establishment parties are two sides of the same coin, to me, all of this party affiliation stuff is pretty much moot.

Agree with both points. 

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2016, 03:46:12 pm »
It is pretty clear at this point - after witnessing the Frankenstein's monster of a budget passed by bi-partisan consensus, under the direction of the Republican majority leadership - that anyone who thinks there is some meaning to the party label is living in the past.  I can understand why Trump had difficulty landing on a party...I voted for HW Bush, Dole, W Bush, McCain and Romney (five nominees who were essentially the same exact candidate) so obviously I was slow to the realization that has become abundantly clear in Obama's second term.  Republican office holders, skimming the fat from K Street to live the high life in a country becoming weaker and poorer by the day, are part of the problem not part of the solution.

These are the days Jefferson spoke of when he talked about needing revolution from time to time.  Those clinging to party history are living in a fantasy land that hasn't existed in decades.  Some of us, like myself, were slow to see it but the 2nd failed Bush presidency and the actions of the Republican congress in Obama's 2nd term - not to mention the perfidy of John Roberts - Bush's Chief Justice - make it too clear for even a blind partisan such as myself to ignore. Republicans are an equal part of the problem today and we       must have someone strong enough to completely destroy and remake the party as the party of patriots.
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2016, 03:59:14 pm »
It is pretty clear at this point - after witnessing the Frankenstein's monster of a budget passed by bi-partisan consensus, under the direction of the Republican majority leadership - that anyone who thinks there is some meaning to the party label is living in the past.  I can understand why Trump had difficulty landing on a party...I voted for HW Bush, Dole, W Bush, McCain and Romney (five nominees who were essentially the same exact candidate) so obviously I was slow to the realization that has become abundantly clear in Obama's second term.  Republican office holders, skimming the fat from K Street to live the high life in a country becoming weaker and poorer by the day, are part of the problem not part of the solution.

These are the days Jefferson spoke of when he talked about needing revolution from time to time.  Those clinging to party history are living in a fantasy land that hasn't existed in decades.  Some of us, like myself, were slow to see it but the 2nd failed Bush presidency and the actions of the Republican congress in Obama's 2nd term - not to mention the perfidy of John Roberts - Bush's Chief Justice - make it too clear for even a blind partisan such as myself to ignore. Republicans are an equal part of the problem today and we       must have someone strong enough to completely destroy and remake the party as the party of patriots.

It is clear, Scott.  VERY clear, except to those that are simply unwilling to see.

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2016, 04:27:30 pm »

Spot-on.

:beer:

Offline Carling

« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2016, 05:09:27 pm »
Awesome post, Scott.  I've had the same awakening, and I owe a sweeping apology to the Biguns and the alicewonders of the board who I used to criticize for not being party-first in voting.  How misguided and incorrect I was before I had my moment of clarity when Trump and Cruz started speaking truth to the power establishment. This internal and peaceful revolution really is happening within the GOP with many of my fellow middle-class voters of my age who are struggling to even save up for our own retirements, let alone our childrens' future education.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 05:17:04 pm by Carling »
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2016, 05:26:25 pm »
Awesome post, Scott.  I've had the same awakening, and I owe a sweeping apology to the Biguns and the alicewonders of the board who I used to criticize for not being party-first in voting.  How misguided and incorrect I was before I had my moment of clarity when Trump and Cruz started speaking truth to the power establishment. This internal and peaceful revolution really is happening within the GOP with many of my fellow middle-class voters of my age who are struggling to even save up for our own retirements, let alone our childrens' future education.

We're all starting to awaken to the reality of what Washington DC is and what their plans are for us - courtesy of the Uniparty!    **nononono*

Good to see you back Carling!   :beer:

Offline aligncare

« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2016, 08:47:58 pm »
I have to disagree. Although the GOP has often let us down, there is a big difference. It the GOP had the White House we would not be looking at Obamacare, we would not be looking at all the new EPA regulations strangling our industry, we would not be looking at Iran receiving billions to continue there terrorist activities thanks to Obama and Kerry's great negotiating skills, we would not be looking at an Iraq falling to pieces with ISUS filling in the blank spots, we would not have the new definition of marriage being broadcast from the bully pulpit, and the list can go on and on.

The GOP is not to be put on a pedestal, but they are a world better than the Democrats.

A republican president and congress gave us No Child Left Behind and medicare prescription drug benefit.

Is that a world better or worse than the democrats would have done?

Offline aligncare

« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2016, 08:51:48 pm »

I should also mention, this was all done in a post-9/11 America, while we were gearing up to invade Iraq.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 08:52:33 pm by aligncare »

Offline Carling

« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2016, 08:56:12 pm »
A republican president and congress gave us No Child Left Behind and medicare prescription drug benefit.

Is that a world better or worse than the democrats would have done?

Any GOP contender is much better than HRC or Sanders, and I will vote accordingly in a general election.  Until there is a nominee, however, I will do whatever I can to get Cruz the nomination, or even Trump, than any of the big-money funded establishment candidates.  There will be up to three appointees to SCOTUS over the next 5 years, and there is zero chance I want HRC or Sanders to appoint another radical while the GOPe Senate rolls over and votes to confirm when the media starts calling them bigots.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 09:03:11 pm by Carling »
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

HAPPY2BME

« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2016, 10:20:16 pm »
I have to disagree. Although the GOP has often let us down, there is a big difference. It the GOP had the White House we would not be looking at Obamacare, we would not be looking at all the new EPA regulations strangling our industry, we would not be looking at Iran receiving billions to continue there terrorist activities thanks to Obama and Kerry's great negotiating skills, we would not be looking at an Iraq falling to pieces with ISUS filling in the blank spots, we would not have the new definition of marriage being broadcast from the bully pulpit, and the list can go on and on.

The GOP is not to be put on a pedestal, but they are a world better than the Democrats.

==========================================

What has changed?  Who has 'benefited' under either a GOP or DNC regime in the past FORTY YEARS?

Some have.  They are the ones LEADING the GOP -and- the DNC.  They still vote THE SAME, with the SAME RESULTS.

Does this still work for you?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sx5X3Jd8DI4

Offline libertybele

« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2016, 12:32:05 am »

That is a lot of IF's and assumptions. The fact of the matter is this; the RINOGOP ran McCain and lost to Barrack HUSSEIN Obama.  The RINOGOP ran Romney and lost to Obama.  The RINOGOP have the majority in BOTH houses and yet have FAILED to stop Obama. The Washington cartel MUST be stopped.  The RINOGOP is NOT the answer as they will lead continue us on our current path of destruction.

Ted Cruz 2016.  Reigniting the Promise of America!!

Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2016, 12:45:50 am »

These are the days Jefferson spoke of when he talked about needing revolution from time to time.  Those clinging to party history are living in a fantasy land that hasn't existed in decades.  Some of us, like myself, were slow to see it but the 2nd failed Bush presidency and the actions of the Republican congress in Obama's 2nd term - not to mention the perfidy of John Roberts - Bush's Chief Justice - make it too clear for even a blind partisan such as myself to ignore. Republicans are an equal part of the problems today and we       must have someone strong enough to completely destroy and remake the party as the party of patriots.

I agree! Took me a long time to catch on as well but I'm wide awake now!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2016, 01:24:10 am »
What we need now is a "raging bull" like Trump to break apart the "china shop" of the D.C. elites that BOTH parties have built up over time.

Knock it to pieces, knock the hell out of it.

I don't care what his previous party affiliation may have been.

Let Trump become a D.C. establishment version of Samson.

Tear it down!

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2016, 01:32:56 am »
It's that damn "trout-pout" mouth they all get! 

**nononono*

LOL!   Around these parts, we call them something else.   :laugh:

I'd latch on and have trouble letting go!        :smokin:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

HAPPY2BME

« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2016, 01:53:39 am »
It is pretty clear at this point - after witnessing the Frankenstein's monster of a budget passed by bi-partisan consensus, under the direction of the Republican majority leadership . .

=================================

THAT cannot be OVERstated.

HAPPY2BME

« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2016, 01:55:43 am »
What we need now is a "raging bull" like Trump to break apart the "china shop" of the D.C. elites that BOTH parties have built up over time.

Knock it to pieces, knock the hell out of it.

I don't care what his previous party affiliation may have been.

Let Trump become a D.C. establishment version of Samson.

Tear it down!

=============================================

In 2012, I went around  saying a PLACEBO could easily DEFEAT Barack Obama.

Mitt Romney lost.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2016, 04:41:38 am »
But, I still stand by my statement that we are far better off with the GOP than with a government controlled by Democrats. If Democrats ever had complete filibuster proof control of the government
we would see the quick implementation of redistribution of wealth on a scale we thought not possible.  Our second amendment rights would vanish in a heartbeat. I won't continue with a long list of the horrors we would face.  Even with the shortcomings of the GOP, our country is much better off when they have the reigns of power. I am waiting for one more opportunity for the GOP to control the Senate, House, and the Oval Office to see what might be accomplished.  Maybe I am delusional.

Your delusions must be contagious.  Imagine a GOP Congress and White House, without the distraction of war due to rat Presidents mismanaging their only Constitutional duty.  Imagine Reagan focused on domestic issues instead of the USSR, Iran, and Lebanon.  How much did Reagan have to concede to the rats to win funding for the military and SDI?  How much did Dubya have to give to the rats to respond to 9/11?

Our next GOP President ( unless it is Trump, because he is such a great manager ) will have to offer concessions to the rats to win approval of the funding and programs necessary to right the many Foreign Policy screw ups of Obama.  Conservatives will savage that President for those concessions...unless of course it is Trump...then they will rally for his universal healthcare, union/trade protection, and his weasel position on abortion....but I digress because Trump evil, bad, stupid, arrggghhhh!!!!

pull it together Once-Ler

ah...what I meant to say was great post cuky.  I agree the rats are the greater evil...always.

HAPPY2BME

« Reply #45 on: January 03, 2016, 05:35:58 am »
I agree on both counts Aligncare and understand the frustration and anger. I have been involved for decades in education and
No Child Left Behind has been disastrous, to say the least. I strongly oppose it, both now and when it was first implemented.

But, I still stand by my statement that we are far better off with the GOP than with a government controlled by Democrats.

=======================================

Do you agree with Jeb Bush on 'Common Core?'

HINT:  Jeb Bush is one of the creators of it.

HAPPY2BME

« Reply #46 on: January 03, 2016, 05:38:26 am »
Your delusions must be contagious.  Imagine a GOP Congress and White House, without the distraction of war due to rat Presidents mismanaging their only Constitutional duty. 

========================================

Delusions?  Distraction of WAR?

WHO caused THIS?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mO4UCYyef8

HAPPY2BME

« Reply #47 on: January 03, 2016, 07:27:23 am »
Tough issues.

==============================

They are.  Good discussion.  Continue later.  Thank you.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #48 on: January 03, 2016, 01:55:59 pm »
Tough issues. First gulf war I still think was a success because of the coalition that was built and the objective of removing Iraq from Kuwait was accomplished along with no-fly zones meant to diminish Iraq power. Second gulf war has to be seen through the prism of 9-11 and the intel that was available at the time. Mistakes were made, but when Bush left office Iraq had stability after the surge of troops. Obama messed that all up with his dealings with the Iraqi leadership and Iraqi military creating a vacuum for ISUS and other terror groups to fill. I agree that Bush made mistakes in second gulf war, but hindsight in war is never the same as real time data and decision making. And waterboarding was NOT a mistake. Also, the results of the second gulf war and the Arab spring does cause one to rethink about our involvement in ME without truly understanding all the different alliances and rivalries. It has been, is and probably will be for decades to come one messed up part of the world and a boiling pot spewing out terrorists to endanger the world.  Honestly Happy2BME this is a tough issue for me to understand and I am probably totally wrong in my views.

Happy New Years! (Of course, one could ask "What's so happy about it?")

To wit, I share your concerns on the Middle East, and your ambivalence. The region is a nightmare of sectarian tensions and violence. Why should anyone knowingly volunteer to broker that mess? Yet, there's al Qaeda and offshoots, and ISIS' regional expansion, and it's growing influence globally through the internet--all this cannot be ignored.

But, america's geopolitical influence is weakening. Geography is no longer protecting us from foreign threats, government is borrowing, overspending, stealing from future generations. While the culture coarsens and its underpinning unravel, and global warming threatens to bore little holes in our brains and wallets...and...and...

Happy new year, cuky.  :beer:

HAPPY2BME

« Reply #49 on: January 03, 2016, 06:55:15 pm »
Tough issues. First gulf war I still think was a success because of the coalition that was built and the objective of removing Iraq from Kuwait was accomplished along with no-fly zones meant to diminish Iraq power. Second gulf war has to be seen through the prism of 9-11 and the intel that was available at the time. Mistakes were made, but when Bush left office Iraq had stability after the surge of troops. Obama messed that all up with his dealings with the Iraqi leadership and Iraqi military creating a vacuum for ISUS and other terror groups to fill. I agree that Bush made mistakes in second gulf war, but hindsight in war is never the same as real time data and decision making. And waterboarding was NOT a mistake. Also, the results of the second gulf war and the Arab spring does cause one to rethink about our involvement in ME without truly understanding all the different alliances and rivalries. It has been, is and probably will be for decades to come one messed up part of the world and a boiling pot spewing out terrorists to endanger the world.  Honestly Happy2BME this is a tough issue for me to understand and I am probably totally wrong in my views.

=========================================

Where to start?

I was in Desert Storm, and traveled all over Saudi Arabia.  Didn't go into Kuwait.  The Saudis (at that time) treated us like Royalty (because we were fighting THEIR war FOR them).  Desert Storm was much different than 'Iraqi Freedom' in that it was completely clear to the world WHO the aggressor was (Iraq for invading Kuwait) and WHY the war was fought. At THAT point, the USA still had 'the high moral ground' in world opinion and had done 'the right thing.'

Fast forward to Iraqi Freedom, and the scenario is much foggier, much more controversial, and NOT clearly justified (WEAPONS OF MASS DESTRUCTION was almost the sole justification) in world opinion.  Bush had to beg 'allies' to join in the coalition to invade Iraq.  It is well documented that the majority of the Joint Chief's of Staff advised Bush NOT to invade Iraq, and that is where it started.  No WMD was EVER found.  It was complete bull$hit.  And the rest is history.

My own son spent THREE YEARS in Iraq and came back and told me: "What Iraq really needs is another Saddam Hussein."  He saw clearly, on the ground, up close and personal how the US invasion of Iraq had caused COMPLETE chaos not just in Iraq, but in the entire global region of the Middle East.  He was not justifying Saddam's methods, but clearly pointing out that PRIOR TO Iraqi Freedom the region at least had SOME stability and was not in COMPLETE chaos and mayhem that really DID threaten the stability of the ENTIRE WORLD, thanks to the invasion of Iraq.

In retrospect, nobody in their right mind can dispute this.