Author Topic: Obituaries for 2016  (Read 143298 times)

Silver Pines

Re: Obituaries for 2016
« Reply #950 on: December 27, 2016, 07:05:00 pm »
@Freya

As an EMT, I didn't think she would survive.  For one thing, she was on an extremely long flight and likely she didn't walk on the plane.  Sitting that long on a plane causes blood to collect in the legs/feet and can cause blood clots, especially if the heart is already compromised.  These clots can move to the heart and stop it.

For those of you who fly or have flown overseas to Europe in the past, you likely noted your feet had swelled by the time you touched down overseas or flying back from there.  Her flight was longer than flying from central US or the east coast to or back from Europe.  I don't recall the country she left but did note it was a longer flight to California than the east coast or central US.  Blood clots was my first thought when I heard her heart stopped.

@Victoria33

About three years ago I was diagnosed with a DVT (blood clot in the leg).  I had none of the risk factors, and they never found out what caused it---the closest they could come was a folic acid deficiency.  At the final visit when the doctor let me go, he said that if I take an overseas flight I'll have to treat myself with a blood thinner---injection into the stomach---before the flight, as a precaution.

It's extremely important to move around during a flight, and to stay well hydrated.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #951 on: December 27, 2016, 07:15:51 pm »
Carrie Fisher dies, age 60

Details on her thread here.

60 is WAY too young.......  **nononono*
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #952 on: December 27, 2016, 07:18:51 pm »
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #953 on: December 27, 2016, 07:28:15 pm »
Rats!  I was so hoping Miss Fisher would have made it.  Unfortunately, the odds were against her.  Survival rate for cardiac arrest is very low.

May she rest in peace.

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #954 on: December 27, 2016, 07:31:51 pm »
@Victoria33
About three years ago I was diagnosed with a DVT (blood clot in the leg).  I had none of the risk factors, and they never found out what caused it---the closest they could come was a folic acid deficiency.  At the final visit when the doctor let me go, he said that if I take an overseas flight I'll have to treat myself with a blood thinner---injection into the stomach---before the flight, as a precaution.  It's extremely important to move around during a flight, and to stay well hydrated.

I made many trips overseas and did get up and walk on the plane but every time my feet were swollen when I got off the plane.  By the next day the feet were okay.  At my advanced age now, I would not fly overseas.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #955 on: December 27, 2016, 07:40:08 pm »
Rats!  I was so hoping Miss Fisher would have made it.  Unfortunately, the odds were against her.  Survival rate for cardiac arrest is very low.

May she rest in peace.

It took too long to get her resuscitated.  It was probably 20 minutes between the heart attack and she was in the hospital.  So sorry, Carrie...I know our politics didn't match up, but nobody deserves to die that young.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Applewood

« Reply #956 on: December 27, 2016, 07:43:18 pm »
I made many trips overseas and did get up and walk on the plane but every time my feet were swollen when I got off the plane.  By the next day the feet were okay.  At my advanced age now, I would not fly overseas.

Same here.  Even on shorter domestic flights, I always take an aisle seat so I can get up and move around.  I'm going to Florida next month -- about a 2-1/2 hour flight.  I'll be up and moving at least twice. 

Offline Applewood

« Reply #957 on: December 27, 2016, 07:53:48 pm »
It took too long to get her resuscitated.  It was probably 20 minutes between the heart attack and she was in the hospital.  So sorry, Carrie...I know our politics didn't match up, but nobody deserves to die that young.

I thought someone on the plane tried CPR.  You are correct that CPR has to start right away.  The longer the patient is unconscious, the less likely he or she will survive.  And the longer it takes to get the heart started, the more likely there will be organ damage from lack of oxygen, especially the brain.  With a damaged heart and the other organs dying from lack of oxygen, the prognosis is not good.  Many patients, even with prompt CPR, don't make it.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #958 on: December 27, 2016, 07:55:05 pm »
There was an EMT on the flight. From what I read, it took 10 minutes to get her heart beating after he started rescue efforts.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Mod1

« Reply #959 on: December 27, 2016, 07:58:20 pm »
Merging Carrie Fisher thread from Sports/Entertainment into the Obituaries thread.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #960 on: December 27, 2016, 08:04:43 pm »
I thought someone on the plane tried CPR.  You are correct that CPR has to start right away.  The longer the patient is unconscious, the less likely he or she will survive.  And the longer it takes to get the heart started, the more likely there will be organ damage from lack of oxygen, especially the brain.  With a damaged heart and the other organs dying from lack of oxygen, the prognosis is not good.  Many patients, even with prompt CPR, don't make it.

The heart has to be beating, and I think that's what took too long.  It's very sad....  **nononono*
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #961 on: December 27, 2016, 08:08:13 pm »
There was an EMT on the flight. From what I read, it took 10 minutes to get her heart beating after he started rescue efforts.

In 10 minutes, her brain may have been severely damaged, as may have been other organs.  If revived in 20 minutes, a patient may survive,  but damage to the organs will start sooner and the damage could be serious and permanent. 

I don't know how long my heart stopped,  but I do have some residual effects.  My memory and concentration are shot and my sense of balance is off.  For many patients, the brain damage is severe -- persistent vegetative state.   If that was the alternative for Miss Fisher,, perhaps it's a blessing she did not survive.

Silver Pines

« Reply #962 on: December 27, 2016, 08:11:22 pm »

@Victoria33

That's wise, IMO.  According to what I've read, the average person's risk for a clot goes up three times when flying, and if there are other factors---genetic predisposition, obesity, sedentary lifestyle, oral contraceptives/hormone therapy, smoking---the risk increases many more times. 

geronl

« Reply #963 on: December 27, 2016, 10:21:22 pm »
Richard Adams, author of 'Watership Down' dead at 96

Richard Fox who was "Dr Bombay" on 'Bewitched' apparently died on December 14

A guy who was on "Everybody hates Chris" just died

blah blah blah

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #964 on: December 27, 2016, 10:40:58 pm »
If it gives you any idea of what kind of year it's been, last year's obituary thread has less than 300 posts. We're over three times that this year.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #965 on: December 28, 2016, 12:38:32 am »
May it not be quite so long as last years!
Well, that didn't work out so well, did it? :-/
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #966 on: December 28, 2016, 12:57:48 am »

We gab a lot more about it now....
I will NOT comply.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #967 on: December 28, 2016, 02:19:03 am »

**nononono*

Unfortunately not.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #968 on: December 28, 2016, 03:14:45 am »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #969 on: December 28, 2016, 03:30:17 am »
George S. Irving Dies: Tony-Winning Character Actor Was 94

Wow. One of those actors who did so much work over so any decades. .....RIP.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #970 on: December 28, 2016, 10:04:58 pm »
Debbie Reynolds just suffered a medical emergency, which we're told is a possible stroke ... and EMTs just raced to the scene, TMZ has learned.

Debbie was at her son Todd Fisher's home in Beverly Hills and just after 1 PM someone from the house called 911.

More at the link: http://www.tmz.com/2016/12/28/debbie-reynolds-hospitalized-stroke/
Let it burn.

Offline Millee

« Reply #971 on: December 28, 2016, 10:15:38 pm »
 **nononono*  Awful. 

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #972 on: December 28, 2016, 10:21:44 pm »
Merging Carrie Fisher thread from Sports/Entertainment into the Obituaries thread.

No self respecting obit thread is complete w/o an obligatory "best" photo of the decedent......

OOO  La La.....

I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #973 on: December 28, 2016, 10:25:50 pm »
Debbie Reynolds just suffered a medical emergency, which we're told is a possible stroke ... and EMTs just raced to the scene, TMZ has learned.

Debbie was at her son Todd Fisher's home in Beverly Hills and just after 1 PM someone from the house called 911.

More at the link: http://www.tmz.com/2016/12/28/debbie-reynolds-hospitalized-stroke/

Not surprising after losing her  child
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #974 on: December 28, 2016, 10:43:23 pm »
Prayers up for Debbie. Loved her in Singing in the Rain and a movie she made with Tony Randall which I can't think of the name..

Ping @CatherineofAragon
@Victoria33
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 10:45:34 pm by Freya »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️