Author Topic: Obituaries for 2016  (Read 143118 times)

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Re: Obituaries for 2016
« Reply #425 on: June 28, 2016, 11:16:28 am »
Pat Summitt, winningest coach in women's basketball history, dies at 64

A competent and well-respected player in her own right (playing in the 1975 Pan-Am Games), Summitt spent her entire career as coach at her alma mater, the University of Tennessee, where she built the Lady Volunteers into college basketball's first female dynasty. In her 38 years as coach, the Volunteers won eight NCAA titles, appeared in the Final Four ten further times, had a winning season every single year she coached (with 36 consecutive seasons of 20 wins or more), and a reputation for being so tough that she twice received (and declined) offers to coach the men's team at Tennessee.

Summitt had been diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease in 2012, forcing her resignation and eventual death.

Obituary from the Associated Press

Wikipedia
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #426 on: June 28, 2016, 11:57:33 am »
So sad. As an old basketball player myself - who also had a parent who died from early onset Alzheimers - I feel a bit of a connection to Coach Summit and her family. I always admired her. Her players adored and above all, respected her.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #427 on: June 28, 2016, 12:43:35 pm »
Former NFL coach, defensive guru Buddy Ryan dies at age 82

Former NFL head coach and influential defensive coordinator Buddy Ryan has died, agent James Solano confirmed Tuesday. He was 82.

Ryan, who coached in the NFL for 35 seasons, was known for building some of football's top defenses behind a relentlessness that focused on creating havoc on the field.

(full story at the link above)
Let it burn.

Offline SirLinksALot

« Reply #428 on: June 29, 2016, 01:03:56 am »
SOURCE: NEW YORK TIMES

URL: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/29/movies/bud-spencer-the-good-giant-of-spaghetti-westerns-dies-at-86.html?_r=0

Bud Spencer (right) with Terence Hill in “Trinity Is Still My Name.”

Bud Spencer, a burly comic actor known as the “good giant” for punching out bad guys on the screen in a series of spaghetti westerns, died on Monday in Italy. He was 86.

His son, Giuseppe Pedersoli, confirmed his death to the Italian news agency ANSA, but did not say where he died or specify the cause.

Born in Naples on Oct. 31, 1929, Carlo Pedersoli adopted the screen name Bud Spencer — the first name inspired by a beer and the last to honor his favorite star, Spencer Tracy.

In his youth, Mr. Spencer was an athlete, becoming the first Italian to swim the 100-meter freestyle in under a minute.

His roles exploited his physical strength, especially his big frame and girth. His imposing figure earned him a walk-on part as a Praetorian guard in the 1951 film “Quo Vadis?”

Mr. Spencer abandoned his swimming career after the 1960 Olympics in Rome. Working on a 1967 film, “Dio Perdona Io No” (“God Forgives, I Don’t”), he met Mario Girotti, who would take the screen name Terence Hill and become his frequent movie partner in spaghetti westerns.

A review of “They Call Me Trinity” in 1972 in The New York Times described Mr. Spencer as “a grizzled bear of a man” and said that he and Mr. Hill “couldn’t be more likable.”

Mr. Spencer, who had a law degree, made his name in unmistakably lowbrow films.

After he made a film with the Italian director Ermanno Olmi in 2003, Mr. Spencer confessed that it was perhaps the first time he felt he was an actor. “I always said that I was only a character,” he said.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #429 on: June 29, 2016, 03:35:54 am »
Scotty Moore, who played guitar on some of Elvis's Sun recordings such as Heartbreak Hotel and Jail House Rock has passed away, he was in the original band backing Elvis.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQf1fuIlCBo

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/28/arts/music/scotty-moore-hard-driving-guitarist-who-backed-elvis-presley-dies-at-84.html

Former Colts RB Zurlon Tipton dead after accidental shooting
Tipton, 26, was accidentally shot in the stomach when a gun in a bag was taken out of the trunk of his car.
http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/report-former-colts-rb-dead-after-accidental-shooting/ar-AAhJH8u?ocid=ansmsnsports11

« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 03:38:40 am by TomSea »

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #430 on: June 29, 2016, 03:45:12 pm »
More on Pat Summitt:
...  This is the impact Pat had on the life of a young woman: a letter saved for 34 years. Long, long after playing days are over, taken from a drawer and reread whenever there is trouble. It’s impossible to peruse it without finally understanding Pat, the soul-stretching generosity at the heart of her, and the degree to which she tried to live out her values. It’s dated Nov. 22, 1982:

Shelia, This is your first game. I hope you win for your sake, not mine. Because winning’s nice. It’s a good feeling. Like the whole world is yours. But it passes, this feeling. And what lasts is what you’ve learned. And what you’ve learned about is — life. That’s what sport is all about — life!

The whole thing is played out in an afternoon. The happiness of life, the miseries, the joys, the heartbreaks. There’s no telling what will turn up. There’s no telling how you’ll do. You might be a hero. Or you might be absolutely nothing.

There’s just no telling. Too much depends on chance, on how the ball bounces.

I’m not talking about the game. I’m talking about life. But it’s life that the game is all about. Just as I said, every game is life, and life is a game. A serious one. Dead serious. But here’s what you do with serious things. You do your best. You take what comes.

You take what comes and you run with it.

Winning is fun . . . Sure.

But winning is not the point.

Wanting to win is the point.

Not giving up is the point.

Never letting up is the point.

Never being satisfied with what you’ve done is the point.

The game is never over. No matter what the scoreboard reads, or what the referee says, it doesn’t end when you come off the court.

The secret of the game is in doing your best. To persist and endure, “to strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.”

I’m proud to be your Coach,

Pat Head Summitt
Sally Jenkins, WashPost
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Online Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #432 on: June 29, 2016, 09:20:18 pm »
SOURCE: NEW YORK TIMES

URL: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/29/movies/bud-spencer-the-good-giant-of-spaghetti-westerns-dies-at-86.html?_r=0

Awww, man... I loved the "Trinity" films as a kid.  :-(

You should consider adding this to the Obituary Thread.  Never mind.  ^-^
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 12:25:54 am by Bear_in_RoseBear »
Let it burn.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #433 on: June 30, 2016, 08:42:28 pm »
So sad. As an old basketball player myself - who also had a parent who died from early onset Alzheimers - I feel a bit of a connection to Coach Summit and her family. I always admired her. Her players adored and above all, respected her.

One of the greatest coaches ever.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #434 on: July 02, 2016, 04:23:19 pm »
Beverly Resident and Tylenol Reporter John Rooney Dies of ALS at 56
Beverly resident and respected journalist John Rooney broke Tylenol poisoning news story in 1982.
http://patch.com/illinois/beverly-mtgreenwood/beverly-resident-tylenol-reporter-john-rooney-dies-als-56

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #435 on: July 02, 2016, 05:17:37 pm »
The Wicker Man director Robin Hardy dies

BBC News
July 2, 2016

Film director Robin Hardy has died at the age of 86, a family friend has confirmed.

He was best known for cult British film The Wicker Man, starring Sir Christopher Lee and Edward Woodward.

The 1973 film told the story of police sergeant Howie, played by Woodward, who was sent to search for a missing girl on the fictional island of Summerisle.
More

Wikipedia

IMDb

Offline kartographer

« Reply #436 on: July 02, 2016, 10:30:51 pm »
Elie Wiesel, Holocaust Survivor And Nobel Laureate, Dies At 87

Holocaust survivor, Nobel laureate and author Elie Wiesel has died at the age of 87. Wiesel survived the World War II Nazi death camps of Auschwitz and Buchenwald. After liberation, he went to France, then Israel and the United States, where he advocated on behalf of victims of hate and persecution around the world.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/07/02/166184644/elie-wiesel-holocaust-survivor-and-nobel-laureate-dies-at-87?utm_campaign=storyshare&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social

Die Gedanken Sind Frei

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHuSktaQRuE
Charley Waite: "Well you may not know this, but there's things that gnaw at a man worse than dying."

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #437 on: July 02, 2016, 11:51:10 pm »
Elie Wiesel...RIP....may you find peace and be reunited with all your family and friends that were killed so many years ago.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #438 on: July 02, 2016, 11:53:22 pm »
Michael Cimino, ‘Deer Hunter’ and ‘Heaven’s Gate’ Director, Dies at 77

RIP Mr. Cimino. You are hereby forgiven for Hell's Service Entrance. ;)

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #439 on: July 03, 2016, 02:20:07 am »
Michael Cimino, ‘Deer Hunter’ and ‘Heaven’s Gate’ Director, Dies at 77

RIP Mr. Cimino. You are hereby forgiven for Hell's Service Entrance. ;)

Although Heaven's Gate has recently earned new respect in some quarters, it was originally trashed unmercifully.

From Leonard Maltin's Movie Guide: Writer-director Cimino's now-notorious spectacle is missing just one thing: a story.

From Vincent Canby in The New York Times: "Heaven's Gate," ... fails so completely that you might suspect Mr. Cimino sold his soul to the Devil to obtain the success of "The Deer Hunter," and the Devil has just come around to collect... Mr. Cimino's approach to his subject is so predictable that watching the film is like a forced, four-hour walking tour of one's own living room.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #440 on: July 03, 2016, 05:18:20 am »
Although Heaven's Gate has recently earned new respect in some quarters, it was originally trashed unmercifully.

From Leonard Maltin's Movie Guide: Writer-director Cimino's now-notorious spectacle is missing just one thing: a story.

From Vincent Canby in The New York Times: "Heaven's Gate," ... fails so completely that you might suspect Mr. Cimino sold his soul to the Devil to obtain the success of "The Deer Hunter," and the Devil has just come around to collect... Mr. Cimino's approach to his subject is so predictable that watching the film is like a forced, four-hour walking tour of one's own living room.

I actually sat through Heaven's Gate just to see what all the hoopla was all about.

I thought Maltin had it just about right regarding the original film. But I came to think that if Cimino could
have laid his pride to one side and gotten with a judicious editor, that film could have been saved. I think
now that, cut exactly in half, Heaven's Gate might have been a good film. Might. But no. He had to
see the whole thing, his way, and disaster. For himself, and as it turned out for United Artists. Heaven's
Gate
destroyed the studio created by Charlie Chaplin, Douglas Fairbanks, Mary Pickford, and D.W.
Griffith.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #441 on: July 03, 2016, 11:07:02 am »
Caroline Aherne: Royle Family writer and actress dies aged 52

Comedy writer and actress Caroline Aherne has died at the age of 52.

Aherne, star and writer of The Royle Family and The Mrs Merton Show, had suffered from cancer, her publicist said.

The actress said two years ago that she had been diagnosed with lung cancer, having previously had bladder and eye cancer.

Aherne was also the narrator of Gogglebox and appeared in The Fast Show.

Her publicist Neil Reading said on Saturday: "Caroline Aherne has sadly passed away, after a brave battle with cancer.

"The Bafta award-winning writer and comedy actor died earlier today at her home in Timperley, Greater Manchester. She was 52.

"The family ask for privacy at this very sad time."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-36694598

Since many here won't know of her, she was a wickedly talented comedian and actress, with multiple characters she played to perfection. Caroline Aherne: Her best-loved characters
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

geronl

« Reply #442 on: July 04, 2016, 11:35:10 pm »
http://comicbook.com/2016/07/04/noel-neill-supermans-first-live-action-lois-lane-has-passed-away/

excerpt
The first live-action Lois Lane, The Adventures of Superman's Noel Neill, has passed away, according to reports. She was 95.

One of Neill's personal friends posted the news to Facebook, and it's working its way into the fan community via a post at Bleeding Cool.

Neill was born in 1920. In her teens, she began modeling and her pin-up was reportedly second only to Betty Grable's in terms of popularity among American servicemen during World War II. She graduated from high school in 1938 -- the same year Superman first appeared in the comics.

She signed with Paramount in the 1940s and appeared in, among other things, the final Charlie Chan movie. She had a recurring role as Betty Rogers in movies like Freddie Steps Out, Sarge Goes to College, and Campus Sleuth. She also had roles in The Adventures of Frank and Jesse James and in The Lone Ranger TV series in 1951.

and her pin-up was reportedly second only to Betty Grable's in terms of popularity among American servicemen during World War II.

everybody claims that!
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 07:30:58 pm by geronl »

geronl

« Reply #443 on: July 04, 2016, 11:39:43 pm »

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #444 on: July 05, 2016, 12:47:13 am »
RIP to the first large and small screen Lois Lane . . .

Noel Neill, Actress Who Played First Lois Lane, Dies at 95

As you remember her best:

As you probably don't remember her, when she wasn't yet Lois Lane:

And, approaching her 90s . . .

« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 12:48:29 am by EasyAce »

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #445 on: July 05, 2016, 01:46:15 am »
RIP to one of the Tuskegee Airmen of World War II . . .

Roscoe Brown, former Tuskegee Airman and NYC educator, has died at 94

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #446 on: July 05, 2016, 03:24:06 am »
Boy, that sure was some disguise Superman had as Clark Kent. He put those glasses on and it was just impossible to tell he was Superman.

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #447 on: July 05, 2016, 05:20:16 pm »
RIP to the first large and small screen Lois Lane . . .

Noel Neill, Actress Who Played First Lois Lane, Dies at 95
Adventures of Superman main cast:

Superman / Clark Kent - George Reeves (January 5, 1914 - June 16, 1959)

Lois Lane - Season 1 - Phyllis Coates (January 15, 1927 - ), Seasons 2-6 - Noel Neill (November 25, 1920 - July 3, 2016)

Jimmy Olsen - Jack Larson (February 8, 1928 - September 20, 2015)

Perry White - John Hamilton (January 16, 1887 - October 15, 1958)

Inspector Henderson - Robert Shayne (October 4, 1900 - November 29, 1992)

Offline guitar4jesus

• Yup...
« Reply #448 on: July 05, 2016, 05:33:34 pm »
Caroline Aherne: Royle Family writer and actress dies aged 52

Comedy writer and actress Caroline Aherne has died at the age of 52.

Aherne, star and writer of The Royle Family...

Wow, that's sad news.  I loved that show... kind of like All in the Family on the dole.

Offline Zionist Conspirator

« Reply #449 on: July 05, 2016, 07:21:30 pm »
Although Noel Neill played Lois Lane in the movie serials with Kirk Alyn (sp?), Phyllis Coates played her for the first season of "Adventures of Superman."

I'm so sorry to hear this.  We lost Jimmy Olsen last year, now this!
My heroes have always been ancient Jewish Theocrats.