Author Topic: Obituaries for 2016  (Read 143233 times)

Offline mlizzy

• Rosary for Peace
Re: Obituaries for 2016
« Reply #400 on: June 11, 2016, 06:08:10 pm »
There is no respect for unborn life [or their mothers] in our nation. I can see how that could trigger [or lend to] a violent act of an imbalanced person.

To heal our minds, we must heal our land.

Many prayers for the Grimmie family.

America needs no words from me to see how your decision in Roe v. Wade has deformed a great nation. The so-called right to abortion has pitted mothers against their children and women against men. Human rights are not a privilege conferred by government. They are every human being's entitlement by virtue of his humanity. The right to life does not depend, and must not be declared to be contingent, on the pleasure of anyone else, not even a parent or a sovereign. -Blessed Mother Teresa of Calcutta

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #401 on: June 11, 2016, 06:20:23 pm »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online mountaineer

« Reply #402 on: June 11, 2016, 06:20:27 pm »
What an incredibly senseless act, and her brother was right there to witness it.  I wasn't familiar with her, never having watched TheVoice, but my niece posted on FB a video of this young lady singing "In Christ Alone" by Keith and Kristin Getty.  She said it was one of her favorites,  and it's one of mine, too.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline WAC

« Reply #403 on: June 11, 2016, 06:40:26 pm »
What an incredibly senseless act, and her brother was right there to witness it.  I wasn't familiar with her, never having watched TheVoice, but my niece posted on FB a video of this young lady singing "In Christ Alone" by Keith and Kristin Getty.  She said it was one of her favorites,  and it's one of mine, too.

Hopefully she's with the Lord...but I can't imagine the roller coaster of emotions her brother's having...he needs prayers to get past this event no doubt.

Offline Idiot

« Reply #404 on: June 12, 2016, 01:24:49 am »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnZyg4K-DTE

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #405 on: June 12, 2016, 12:15:34 pm »
Florida authorities say Christina Grimmie killer showed up at concert to attack her

Marcus Grimmie statement:
“By now I’m sure many you have heard that Christina has passed away due to gunfire after a show. I really don’t have much to say about anything and am just blown away with the prayers and support.
I PROMISE I will respond to everyone when I can.
Christina was more than my sister. She was a partner in life. A superstar. A goofball. Introverted. And a friend to everyone. Genuinely. But above all…she was my baby sister. She loved the Lord and  her family and was always there for me and I honestly don’t know what ill do without her.
But please, if you are reading this far, I would love all and any of you to post pics of you and her and/or memories you have of her down in the comments. I will cherish it forever and always. So please do that for me. Thank you all so so much. The support has been crazy and I do feel a peace. I just don’t have any words. I love you all.”
« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 12:50:12 pm by Lando Lincoln »
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #406 on: June 12, 2016, 04:56:16 pm »
Former Gov./Sen. George Voinovich (R-OH) dies at 79

Voinovich served as a state legislator from Ohio from 1967 until 1971, as Lieutenant Governor of the state for most of 1979, mayor of Cleveland from 1980 to 1989, Governor of Ohio from 1991 to 1998, and finally U.S. Senator (where he replaced John Glenn) from 1999 to 2010. Widely perceived as a moderate-to-liberal Republican with a strong debt-hawk streak, Voinovich often broke with party orthodoxy on taxes, the war in Iraq, homosexual rights, and judicial appointments. Voinovich famously stalled John Bolton's nomination to the position of UN Ambassador, a position Voinovich admitted later was a mistake. As mayor, governor and civic leader, he successfully helped stabilize Cleveland's then-ailing reputation.

Voinovich died suddenly from what was believed to be a heart condition.

Obituary from Politico

Wikipedia
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online mountaineer

« Reply #407 on: June 12, 2016, 06:23:04 pm »
Christina Grimmie may have been murdered because shooter hated her Christian faith, says Santa Monica Observer.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline musiclady

« Reply #408 on: June 12, 2016, 06:57:28 pm »

One of the finest hymns written in recent years.

It tells the WHOLE story, and the music is beautiful!
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #409 on: June 14, 2016, 02:37:35 am »
RIP Janet Waldo---who was the title role of old-time radio's Meet Corliss Archer (CBS's answer to the
NBC hit A Date with Judy) and one of the Radio Row ensemble cast of the syndicated Favourite Story (Ronald Colman hosted)
long before anyone even thought of Judy Jetson . . .

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #410 on: June 15, 2016, 12:07:02 am »
RIP Janet Waldo---who was the title role of old-time radio's Meet Corliss Archer (CBS's answer to the
NBC hit A Date with Judy) and one of the Radio Row ensemble cast of the syndicated Favourite Story (Ronald Colman hosted)
long before anyone even thought of Judy Jetson . . .
This is what she looked like three years ago—at 93 years old.

She aged pretty gracefully, didn't she?

Of course, a lot of the women in voice roles have aged very well. Penny Singleton lived to be 95. Janet, of course, was 96, and amazingly June Foray is still with us at a whopping 98 years young.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #411 on: June 15, 2016, 12:31:20 am »
Christina Grimmie may have been murdered because shooter hated her Christian faith, says Santa Monica Observer.

Didn't know this. Of course the warped perverts in the MSM wouldn't be keen on making this detail widely known - counterproductive, from their point of view.

BTW this is the kind of information I used to depend upon FR for, I'm glad I can get it here.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #412 on: June 15, 2016, 02:24:12 pm »
This is what she looked like three years ago—at 93 years old.

She aged pretty gracefully, didn't she?

Of course, a lot of the women in voice roles have aged very well. Penny Singleton lived to be 95. Janet, of course, was 96, and amazingly June Foray is still with us at a whopping 98 years young.

Many have. Paula Winslowe (radio collectors probably know her best as Peg Riley on the original radio Life of Riley and Mrs.
Conklin, patient wife of blowhard principal Osgood Conklin on radio's Our Miss Brooks) made it to 85.

Many others, alas, haven't. One of the two greatest actresses of the old-time radio era, Cathy Lewis, died at 51. (Cancer.) The other,
Lurene Tuttle (who was so versatile and so much in demand---she could voice any role of any age---she was often called the first lady
of radio), died at 71. (Also cancer.) Jean Vander Pyl---you know her best as Wilma Flinstone and Rosie the Robot (The Jetsons)
but she was also Margaret Anderson on the radio original of Father Knows Best and played several roles on the Ronald Colman
radio vehicle The Halls of Ivy)---died at 79. (Cancer, again. Vander Pyl developed the habit of signing notes and answers to
fan mail with "Love, Wilma" . . .)

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #413 on: June 16, 2016, 04:49:27 pm »
Ann Morgan Guilbert, Millie on 'Dick Van Dyke Show,' Dies at 87

Not to mention Grandma Yetta on The Nanny . . .

NEW YORK (AP) — Ann Morgan Guilbert, beloved as the next-door neighbor on The Dick Van Dyke Show and seen recently on the CBS comedy Life in Pieces, has died. She was 87.

Guilbert died of cancer on Tuesday in Los Angeles, her daughter Nora Eckstein said.

Recent TV appearances included a starring role on the hospital comedy Getting On and a guest spot on Grey's Anatomy. Guilbert was a regular as feisty Grandma Yetta on the 1990s sitcom The Nanny, and in the early 1960s, played Millie Helper, Laura Petrie's perky pal, on the acclaimed Van Dyke series.

The actress starred in Nicole Holofcener's 2010 Sundance Film Festival selection, Please Give.

Guilbert had extensive theater credits, including the 2005 Broadway play A Naked Girl on the Appian Way, and productions of The Matchmaker, Arsenic and Old Lace, Waiting for Godot, To Kill a Mockingbird and Harvey.

A native of Minneapolis, Guilbert graduated from Stanford University's Department of Speech and Drama, where she met the late producer-actor George Eckstein. They married and had two daughters, actress Hallie Todd (Lizzie McGuire) and Nora Eckstein, a writer, actress and acting teacher.

After her 1966 divorce, Guilbert married actor Guy Raymond, who died in 1997.

She is survived by her two daughters.

Classic Ann Morgan Guilbert . . . .first, as Millie Helper . . .

The Dick Van Dyke Show, "A Man's Teeth Are Not His Own"

. . . and, as Grandma Yetta . . .

The Nanny, Best Yetta Moments

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #414 on: June 19, 2016, 07:05:31 pm »
Anton Yelchin, actor in 'Star Trek' films, dies in freak car accident at age 27

Actor Anton Yelchin, perhaps best known for his role in the new “Star Trek” films, died early Sunday after his vehicle rolled down his Studio City driveway and trapped the actor against a mailbox, authorities confirmed.
More

Wikipedia

IMDb

California Ping

Please click here to be added to or removed from the California Ping List.  ^-^

@bootless
@flowers
@Half Vast Conspiracy
@Machiavelli
@Meshuge Mikey
@Mr McBeevee
@pogo101
@skeeter
@SZonian
@The Jackal
@truth_seeker

« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 08:28:29 pm by Machiavelli »

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #415 on: June 19, 2016, 07:15:27 pm »
Anton Yelchin, actor in 'Star Trek' films, dies in freak car accident at age 27
More

Wikipedia

IMDb

Aw man. I loved him as Chekov. The funny straight man. Was just thinking about him the other day hoping to see him more in the upcoming movie.
The Republic is lost.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #416 on: June 19, 2016, 09:53:56 pm »
Just heard about that Star Trek actor, my condolences. So young.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #417 on: June 19, 2016, 10:41:40 pm »
Excerpts:

Mexico 'Voice' singer Alejandro Fuentes shot in Chicago
He was in his car on the street outside Tras Bambalinas, a performing arts school he ran for young people in south-west Chicago.

A gunman ordered him out of the car - when he refused, the gunman shot him three times in the head.
The number of murders in Chicago this year is up 72% from 2015. 

There was another story about someone broadcast streaming on facebook shot dead; it's really ad there.

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #418 on: June 20, 2016, 03:37:06 pm »
Just heard about that Star Trek actor, my condolences. So young.

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #419 on: June 24, 2016, 08:58:02 pm »
Bluegrass music patriarch Ralph Stanley dies at 89

NASHVILLE, Tenn.

Ralph Stanley, a patriarch of Appalachian music who with his brother Carter helped expand and popularize the genre that became known as bluegrass, died Thursday. He was 89.

Stanley died at his home in Sandy Ridge, Virginia, because of difficulties from skin cancer, publicist Kirt Webster said.

(snip)

Despite health problems, he continued to record and tour into his 80s, often performing with his son Ralph Stanley II on guitar and his grandson Nathan on mandolin.

He is survived by his wife of 47 years, Jimmie Stanley. He had three children, seven grandchildren and one great-grandchild.

Full obituary: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/latest-news/article85668412.html
Let it burn.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #420 on: June 24, 2016, 08:59:24 pm »

NASHVILLE, Tenn.

Ralph Stanley, a patriarch of Appalachian music who with his brother Carter helped expand and popularize the genre that became known as bluegrass, died Thursday. He was 89.

Stanley died at his home in Sandy Ridge, Virginia, because of difficulties from skin cancer, publicist Kirt Webster said.

(snip)

Despite health problems, he continued to record and tour into his 80s, often performing with his son Ralph Stanley II on guitar and his grandson Nathan on mandolin.

He is survived by his wife of 47 years, Jimmie Stanley. He had three children, seven grandchildren and one great-grandchild.

Full obituary: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/latest-news/article85668412.html

Darn!

I love his music.  He left quite a legacy.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #421 on: June 25, 2016, 02:49:48 pm »

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #422 on: June 25, 2016, 02:55:27 pm »

I was listening to WSM last night and someone requested Ralph Stanley; now I know why.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #423 on: June 27, 2016, 02:34:27 am »
Parliament-Funkadelic keyboardist Bernie Worrell dies at 72

Worrell was famous for making extensive use of the Moog synthesizer, an instrument still in the early stages of mainstream popularity in the 1970s. After Parliament-Funkadelic's implosion in the 1980s, Worrell moved into session work.

Worrell died after a brief battle with lung cancer.

Obituary from the Associated Press

Wikipedia

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #424 on: June 27, 2016, 04:18:46 am »
RIP Jim Hickman---outfielder, Original Met, whose grand salami ended Roger Craig's notorious 18-game losing streak (he
was the first Met to hit a grand slam and to hit for the cycle . . . and in proper order, yet: single, double, triple, bomb);
who also set up Pete Rose's dismemberment of Ray Fosse (yes, it was an excessive and dangerous play, especially since
Fosse wasn't really blocking the plate) in the 1970 All-Star game by getting the hit on which Rose was able to score.
Hickman was the last of the Original Mets---as in, picked in the expansion draft that stocked their original roster in 1962
---to leave when he was traded to the Dodgers with second baseman Ron Hunt for Tommy Davis in 1966.

Jim Hickman, Slugger for Expansion Mets and All-Star with Cubs, Dies at 79
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 04:19:52 am by EasyAce »