Author Topic: Obituaries for 2016  (Read 144034 times)

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Re: Obituaries for 2016
« Reply #225 on: March 25, 2016, 05:28:53 am »
Why would boomer entertainers be any different from others?

There are several of the top music people from the era of the very best music, turning about 70 and still creative and hard working. Eric Clapton, Ringo Starr, Rod Stewart, Van Morrison to name just a few.

Not to mention this Over 70 guy, Seasick Steve

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAz-XRMXXW8

Because entertainers who came on in the 60's and 70's in particular often lived hard, especially with the cocaine. They just didn't know or think about the consequences at the time.
The Republic is lost.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #226 on: March 25, 2016, 05:52:08 am »
Because entertainers who came on in the 60's and 70's in particular often lived hard, especially with the cocaine. They just didn't know or think about the consequences at the time.

Musicians had been abusing substances since long before the 60s and 70s. Robert Johnson, Billie Holiday and Art Blakey to name just a few. And from the 50s Elvis, Johnny Cash, Glenn Campbell, too.

More occupational and less generational.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #227 on: March 25, 2016, 05:55:26 am »
Musicians had been abusing substances since long before the 60s and 70s. Robert Johnson, Billie Holiday and Art Blakey to name just a few. And from the 50s Elvis, Johnny Cash, Glenn Campbell, too.

More occupational and less generational.

Which is why I qualified to entertainers. But as pop culture exploded from the 60's on, so did the drugs, and things ratcheted from there. The chickens will come home to roost.

Believe me, it won't get better as the X'ers and Millenials age either.
The Republic is lost.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #228 on: March 25, 2016, 06:10:47 am »
RIP the man who created The Waltons out of his own Virginia childhood during the Depression:

Earl Hamner Jr., creator of 'The Waltons,' dies at 92

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #229 on: March 25, 2016, 06:15:20 am »
RIP the man who created The Waltons out of his own Virginia childhood during the Depression:

I always wondered what it drew on, it was very similar to the family stories of that time from the foothills of Alabama and Tennessee, so it seemed like the real deal.

It's hard to even watch the original movie, reminds me so much of grandma and all the brothers and sisters that I just break down.
The Republic is lost.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #230 on: March 25, 2016, 02:17:50 pm »

Oh, that's sad!  Earl Hamner brought to the screen healthy family life.  So many on the left mocked The Waltons as 'unrealistic,' but they clearly had never seen a loving family at work.

RIP, Mr. Hamner.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #232 on: March 28, 2016, 03:56:04 pm »
Mother Mary Angelica, founder of EWTN Catholic radio and TV, dies at 92

Born Rita Antoinette Rizzo into a childhood of poverty, she began pursuing life as a nun at age 21. A devout Roman Catholic from birth, she founded the Our Lady of the Angels Monastery in 1962. Her 1981 founding of Eternal Word Television Network was one of the first efforts from a Roman Catholic to branch out into the full-scale televangelism of contemporaries such as Pat Robertson (who gave Mother Angelica his support during her early years in television).

Mother Angelica was a staunch conservative in Catholic circles, closely aligned with Pope John Paul II, and often sparred with other Catholic clergy, prompting EWTN to hire additional staff in 2001, who insisted on adherence to the official church dogma in order to maintain the Vatican's blessing. She retired from EWTN in 2001 following a stroke, living a cloistered life from then until her death on Easter Sunday.

Obituary from the Associated Press via the Daily Mail

Wikipedia
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #233 on: March 28, 2016, 05:33:04 pm »
An artist friend of mine helped with set design for Mother Angelica in the early or mid-80s and said she was just as sweet as she appeared on TV.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #234 on: March 29, 2016, 05:13:00 pm »
Patty Duke, Oscar Winner and Sitcom Star, Dies at 69

Well, this is sad.  A relative youngster.

http://news.yahoo.com/patty-duke-oscar-winner-sitcom-star-dies-69-164024164.html

Offline musiclady

« Reply #235 on: March 29, 2016, 05:19:22 pm »

http://news.yahoo.com/patty-duke-oscar-winner-sitcom-star-dies-69-164024164.html

Yikes.  As someone in my upper 60's, I see my peers dropping like flies.

Anna had a rough life.  RIP......

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline flowers

« Reply #236 on: March 29, 2016, 05:29:09 pm »

I remember watching her.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #237 on: March 29, 2016, 06:53:44 pm »
Yes, and a heck of a way to go, too.  **nononono*

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #238 on: March 29, 2016, 06:59:54 pm »
Terrible and very painful way to die.....I too grew up watching Patty...she was a very talented actress...RIP Anna
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline musiclady

« Reply #239 on: March 29, 2016, 07:38:40 pm »
Yes, and a heck of a way to go, too.  **nononono*

Sounds absolutely awful.  I can't imagine the pain.

There may not be a lot of others who agree, but I absolutely loved her as Martha Washington in the George Washington mini-series ('90's?) where Barry Bostwick played George.

She made Martha seem like a delightful and devoted wife to a man she deeply admired.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #240 on: March 29, 2016, 08:10:26 pm »
Terrible and very painful way to die.....I too grew up watching Patty...she was a very talented actress...RIP Anna

I wonder if this is a record of some kind---Patty Duke won an Oscar for playing Helen Keller, then eventually
went on to win an Emmy for playing Anne Sullivan, Keller's teacher. I don't know of any other actor to win
an Oscar for one role in a production and then an Emmy for another role in, essentially, the same production.

She had the guts to overcome her abusive agents and her bipolarity and remake her life and career happily.

RIP Anna Marie.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #241 on: March 29, 2016, 08:32:41 pm »
Yikes.  As someone in my upper 60's, I see my peers dropping like flies.

Part of it's simply because it's the baby boomer era and there were simply a lot more BIRTHS in 1946, hence a lot more deaths once their time comes.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline mrclose

« Reply #242 on: March 29, 2016, 10:01:03 pm »

"Anna 'Patty Duke' Pearce passed away this morning March 29, 2016 at 1:20 am," his statement read. "Her cause of death was sepsis from a ruptured intestine. She was a wife, a mother, a grandmother, a friend, a mental health advocate and a cultural icon. She will be missed."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/movies/2016/03/29/oscar-winning-former-child-star-patty-duke-dies-age-69/82382666/

"Hell is empty, all the devil's are here!"
~ Self

Offline musiclady

« Reply #243 on: March 29, 2016, 11:34:20 pm »
Part of it's simply because it's the baby boomer era and there were simply a lot more BIRTHS in 1946, hence a lot more deaths once their time comes.

Yes.  But in my opinion, someone who was born in 1946 shouldn't be dying yet.  69 isn't very old these days. 

It seems, however, that a lot are.

Wingnut

« Reply #244 on: March 30, 2016, 01:43:22 am »
Yes.  But in my opinion, someone who was born in 1946 shouldn't be dying yet.  69 isn't very old these days. 

It seems, however, that a lot are.

I don't know how old it is to be to young to die... but I plan on living long enough to see my children get everything they never had growing up so that I can move in with them.   

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #245 on: March 30, 2016, 05:21:49 pm »
Saw this posted on another site as a remarkable picture. 

Offline musiclady

« Reply #246 on: March 30, 2016, 05:25:29 pm »
Saw this posted on another site as a remarkable picture. 

Wow.  I've never seen that!  Thanks for posting it, Sanguine.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #247 on: March 30, 2016, 08:08:26 pm »
That is a wonderful photo, Sanguine. Wow.

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #248 on: March 30, 2016, 10:17:27 pm »
Patty started so many heated arguments between me and my sister over who would have control over our one TV. Me wanting to watch Gilligan, Adams Family, the Munsters, F-troop, Flintstones, and the rest of the great kids shows of that era, and my sister wanting to watch Patty Duke or worse, the Flying Nun.

RIP Patty.    Oh and sis,  I now have the full seasons on DVD of  Gilligan, F-Troop, Flintstones, and many of my other favorites if you ever want to come over to watch TV and have a fight for old times sake.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline musiclady

« Reply #249 on: March 31, 2016, 02:21:14 pm »
Patty started so many heated arguments between me and my sister over who would have control over our one TV. Me wanting to watch Gilligan, Adams Family, the Munsters, F-troop, Flintstones, and the rest of the great kids shows of that era, and my sister wanting to watch Patty Duke or worse, the Flying Nun.

RIP Patty.    Oh and sis,  I now have the full seasons on DVD of  Gilligan, F-Troop, Flintstones, and many of my other favorites if you ever want to come over to watch TV and have a fight for old times sake.

I hope your sister won the fight once in a while so that you got to see those adorable "identical cousins, who walked alike and talked alike..... (you could lose your mind!)".  It was a really fun show!  ^-^