Author Topic: FIZZLED OUT ALREADY? - Two of Ben Carson's Top Aides Quit Campaign  (Read 932 times)

HAPPY2BME

by Hallie Jackson
Dec 31, 2015

Two top aides to Republican presidential candidate Ben Carson have quit the campaign, NBC News has confirmed.

In an another sign that Carson's campaign is struggling, Campaign Manager Barry Bennett and Communications Director Doug Watts have resigned amid the one-time top-tier candidate's dropping poll numbers.

"Barry Bennett and I have resigned from the Carson campaign effective immediately," Watts said in a statement. "We respect the candidate and we have enjoyed helping him go from far back in the field to top tier status. Having just announced raising $23m(illion) for the 4th Q(uarter), more than any other Republican candidate, and passing 1 million contributions and and over 600 mm unique donors since March, we are proud of our efforts for Dr Carson and we wish him and his campaign the best of luck."

Carson has dropped from leading the Republican field with 29 percent support in a NBC News/Wall Street Journal poll in late October to just 11 percent by the middle of this month.

Carson's comments in two interviews last week were interpreted to suggest that he has been considering major "personnel changes," leading him to issue a statement recently saying he had "100 percent confidence" in his team.

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2016-election/top-aides-ben-carson-quit-n488576

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Re: FIZZLED OUT ALREADY? - Two of Ben Carson's Top Aides Quit Campaign
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2015, 06:19:24 pm »
Amazing that he out-fundraised Cruz.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2015, 06:20:15 pm »
And yet, he raised $23 million dollars last quarter - more than Ted Cruz.  I'm thinking he raised a great deal of that early in the quarter, before he had such a series of missteps.  Doesn't sound like he's trending back up.

http://www.businessinsider.com/r-republican-carson-raised-about-23-million-for-us-presidential-bid-politico-2015-12

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

HAPPY2BME

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2015, 07:51:38 pm »
Amazing that he out-fundraised Cruz.

================================================

Carson has been around awhile, but never actually GOVERNED in a public office.

IMO, that is (was) one of his central positive attributes which brings on the appearance of not being compromised yet by the eGOP.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2015, 08:05:31 pm »
================================================

Carson has been around awhile, but never actually GOVERNED in a public office.

IMO, that is (was) one of his central positive attributes which brings on the appearance of not being compromised yet by the eGOP.
Thanks for filling me in. Same goes for Trump.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2015, 08:12:15 pm »
People come and go from campaigns all the time. Opposition and the media often try to make something of it, but it is like any business and employees move off for better deals. Considering the amount of money Carson is bringing in (right at the top of GOP contenders) it wouldn't be wise to drop out now, especially before an actual vote has been cast. If he was out of money that would be a different story.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2015, 08:25:03 pm »
Where are they going. That is the question. If they are quitting to spend more time with their garden, that is one thing. To join another campaign staff is something quite different.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

HAPPY2BME

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2015, 09:08:27 pm »
Where are they going. That is the question. If they are quitting to spend more time with their garden, that is one thing. To join another campaign staff is something quite different.

=======================================

The article does not allude to any of Carson's x-staff joining any other candidate's team.  I doubt they would want them.  Not because they are not capable, more likely they won't agree with most of the other candidate's platforms.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2015, 09:13:03 pm »
People come and go from campaigns all the time. Opposition and the media often try to make something of it, but it is like any business and employees move off for better deals. Considering the amount of money Carson is bringing in (right at the top of GOP contenders) it wouldn't be wise to drop out now, especially before an actual vote has been cast. If he was out of money that would be a different story.

I hope he stays in.  He brings an intelligence and outside-the-box (but kind) perspective that has been healthy.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2015, 10:54:16 pm »
I hope he stays in.  He brings an intelligence and outside-the-box (but kind) perspective that has been healthy.
I think he can certainly still do that whether he's running for President or not. Remember, there can be only one winner, and this process's sole purpose is to decide that winner.

Herman Cain has developed a pretty solid career as a pundit since leaving the 2012 race. Carson could very well go that route in the next few years.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline musiclady

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2016, 12:13:33 am »
I think he can certainly still do that whether he's running for President or not. Remember, there can be only one winner, and this process's sole purpose is to decide that winner.

Herman Cain has developed a pretty solid career as a pundit since leaving the 2012 race. Carson could very well go that route in the next few years.

True enough.

I think Carson could be a good Surgeon General in a conservative administration.  Can you imagine how wonderful it would be to have this gifted, intelligent, pro-life REAL surgeon in a medical role in the next administration??

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

HAPPY2BME

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2016, 01:08:59 am »
True enough.

I think Carson could be a good Surgeon General in a conservative administration.  Can you imagine how wonderful it would be to have this gifted, intelligent, pro-life REAL surgeon in a medical role in the next administration??

===================================

Not sure Carson would work for Trump or not. 

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2016, 01:13:10 am »
And yet, he raised $23 million dollars last quarter - more than Ted Cruz.  I'm thinking he raised a great deal of that early in the quarter, before he had such a series of missteps.  Doesn't sound like he's trending back up.

http://www.businessinsider.com/r-republican-carson-raised-about-23-million-for-us-presidential-bid-politico-2015-12

My guess is he spent all of it already and can't pay his people.  Nothing else makes sense with that kind of haul.  People will stay on a losing campaign if they are paid.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2016, 04:38:03 am »
===================================

Not sure Carson would work for Trump or not.

Probably not, since Carson is a man of character.

I'm praying that we elect a man/woman of character so that Carson would be able to work with him/her.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2016, 05:12:14 am »
My guess is he spent all of it already and can't pay his people.  Nothing else makes sense with that kind of haul.  People will stay on a losing campaign if they are paid.

I would agree.  I think he spent heavy in Iowa and then he had those "missteps" and the money started slowing.  He's a nice guy and I'm sure he'll come out of this and make something positive of it.  I think our next president could be a war president and I don't think he's the man for the time.

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2016, 05:42:29 am »
I think our next president could be a war president and I don't think he's the man for the time.
Excellent point.  I fear you are correct.  Admittedly I have not followed Carson's campaign closely but I don't recall being comforted by his knowledge of foreign affairs or our military capabilities.

Sadly these traits only become political issues after shots are fired.  It would be wise for all of us to consider our military preparedness and standing with our allies in choosing our next leader.