Author Topic: Obama Poised to Use Executive Orders to Attack Gun Rights  (Read 2465 times)

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Re: Obama Poised to Use Executive Orders to Attack Gun Rights
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2016, 11:57:21 pm »
Obama is nothing if not breathtakingly insincere, and his mastery of the language of propaganda will be studied in future years, assuming it is still allowed to be. Consider this:

“The gun lobby is loud and well organized in its defense of effortlessly available guns for anyone,” Obama said. “The rest of us are going to have to be just as passionate and well organized in our defense of our kids.”

Allow me to parse this remarkably cynical and disingenuous statement for you:

“The gun lobby (a favored term here employed as a political pejorative, as opposed to "gun rights organizations" or "2nd Amendment supporters", of which there are many tens of millions, by the way) is loud (the adjective is intended to imply anger, instead of, say, "vocal") and well organized (which is to say, "highly popular") in its defense of effortlessly available guns for anyone (a falsehood embedded within a straw man argument- no person obtains anything, including firearms without effort, and background checks are already mandated for all legal purchases from Federal Firearms Dealers (FFD's), who are duly licensed for that purpose),” Obama said. “The rest of us (a false dichotomy, wrongly implying victimization) are going to have to be (an unproven assertion implying a moral choice) just as passionate and well organized (community organizer-speak; a call for collective agitation) in our defense of our kids (meaning that defenders of firearms rights either want to hurt or are unconcerned about the safety of our children).”

Lies go around the world, while the truth is still putting on its trousers.

Great Post!

Offline Paladin

« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2016, 12:19:29 am »
“The gun lobby is loud and well organized in its defense of effortlessly available guns for anyone,” Obama said. “The rest of us are going to have to be just as passionate and well organized in our defense of our kids.”

Oh, ok, he's doing it for the children. I'm in.
Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2016, 12:41:51 am »
Could a majority directed GOP congressional committee, go to court for an injunction blocking an Obama executive order?

Or a private citizen?

On the basis Obama doesn't have the authority, and is explicitly prevented by the 2nd amendment from interfering?
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline libertybele

« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2016, 12:45:48 am »
Could a majority directed GOP congressional committee, go to court for an injunction blocking an Obama executive order?

Or a private citizen?

On the basis Obama doesn't have the authority, and is explicitly prevented by the 2nd amendment from interfering?

Not sure, but didn't Congress take him to court on his e.o. on amnesty?
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2016, 12:48:52 am »

Or a private citizen?

Good question.  I am not a legal scholar, but it seems to me the NRA should be able to file suit on behalf of its members.

« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2016, 12:50:11 am »
Not sure, but didn't Congress take him to court on his e.o. on amnesty?

Actually that was GOP controlled state attorneys general

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2016, 12:58:30 am »
Anything is possible Paladin, but Executive Orders only last until a GOP President rescinds them.  I can't think of anything that will unite the GOP and gun loving rats more than an unconstitutional EO gun ban.  I think Obama is very stupid, but I don't think he is "New American" stupid.

That is the mistake everyone is making... Obama is NOT stupid... all of his administration actions are deliberate and well thought out...... that is why he has been so successful....

Offline musiclady

« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2016, 01:02:21 am »
Obama is nothing if not breathtakingly insincere, and his mastery of the language of propaganda will be studied in future years, assuming it is still allowed to be. Consider this:

Allow me to parse this remarkably cynical and disingenuous statement for you:

“The gun lobby (a favored term here employed as a political pejorative, as opposed to "gun rights organizations" or "2nd Amendment supporters", of which there are many tens of millions, by the way) is loud (the adjective is intended to imply anger, instead of, say, "vocal") and well organized (which is to say, "highly popular") in its defense of effortlessly available guns for anyone (a falsehood embedded within a straw man argument- no person obtains anything, including firearms without effort, and background checks are already mandated for all legal purchases from Federal Firearms Dealers (FFD's), who are duly licensed for that purpose),” Obama said. “The rest of us (a false dichotomy, wrongly implying victimization) are going to have to be (an unproven assertion implying a moral choice) just as passionate and well organized (community organizer-speak; a call for collective agitation) in our defense of our kids (meaning that defenders of firearms rights either want to hurt or are unconcerned about the safety of our children).”

Lies go around the world, while the truth is still putting on its trousers.

Brilliant analysis of the anatomy of deceit.  BRAVO!
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2016, 01:53:58 am »
That is the mistake everyone is making... Obama is NOT stupid... all of his administration actions are deliberate and well thought out...... that is why he has been so successful....
Aside from his failed Obamacare I'm not seeing a lot of "success."  7 years and he has no gun control, he has not shut down Gitmo, he extended and then made much of Bush's taxcuts permanent.  His immigration amnesty is stalled in the courts http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/27/us/fifth-circuit-court-of-appeals-rules-on-obama-immigration-plan.html.  The only thing he can point to as a success is his bungled foreign policy and watching our soldiers kill Osama Bin Ladin.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2016, 02:07:48 am »
Aside from his failed Obamacare I'm not seeing a lot of "success."  7 years and he has no gun control, he has not shut down Gitmo, he extended and then made much of Bush's taxcuts permanent.  His immigration amnesty is stalled in the courts http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/27/us/fifth-circuit-court-of-appeals-rules-on-obama-immigration-plan.html.  The only thing he can point to as a success is his bungled foreign policy and watching our soldiers kill Osama Bin Ladin.

You are correct on those issues but those pale in comparison to him deliberately withdrawing our troops too early in the Middle East and arming Syrian rebels thus enabling a caliphate to form.  The results have been catastrophic; barbaric beheadings and murders, massive Muslim (refugee?) migration to Europe and the plan for thousands to enter the U.S. in addition to the thousands that are already here.  I would say he has been extremely successful in allowing ISIS to expand throughout the western world while leaving our borders wide open.  He still has another year left; don't under estimate him on gun control.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2016, 02:49:48 am »
Brilliant analysis of the anatomy of deceit.  BRAVO!

During the course of his seemingly interminable term, Obama has issued forth almost daily with this sort of thing. He speaks a language of linguistic legerdemain unlike any other President, or any other public figure that I can recall. Even Bill Clinton, a master political wordsmith, has been known to lapse into occasional episodes of plain spoken sense.

But for Obama, nothing the man says about anything can ever be taken at face value: he is a full-grown political organism at the root, stem, branch and leaf.

Ask him about the weather, and he's certain to answer in such a way as to implicate climate change.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2016, 04:12:02 am »
You are correct on those issues but those pale in comparison to him deliberately withdrawing our troops too early in the Middle East and arming Syrian rebels thus enabling a caliphate to form.  The results have been catastrophic; barbaric beheadings and murders, massive Muslim (refugee?) migration to Europe and the plan for thousands to enter the U.S. in addition to the thousands that are already here.  I would say he has been extremely successful in allowing ISIS to expand throughout the western world while leaving our borders wide open.  He still has another year left; don't under estimate him on gun control.
I agree Obama has been extraordinarily successful in undermining the war on terror.  Unfortunately he is the CIC and elections have consequences.

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2016, 04:14:22 am »

Dear Bambi... we appreciate everything you are doing to get Trump elected...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2016, 04:37:05 am »

The democrats and the media will be most pleased to face Trump. They are wishing, hoping, praying AND laying way off him for the while.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2016, 04:42:15 am »

I still love how you present a point.   ^-^

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2016, 04:47:16 am »
The democrats and the media will be most pleased to face Trump. They are wishing, hoping, praying AND laying way off him for the while.

Of course the demonrats and the media will be most pleased to face any GOP candidate.  They are wishing, hoping, praying AND laying off all GOP candidates for the while...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

rangerrebew

« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2016, 12:13:04 pm »
Obama Declares He Will Act Unilaterally on Gun Control: ‘Congress Still Hasn’t Done Anything’

(CNSNews.com) - In his first weekly address of 2016, President Barack Obama expressed dismay that the U.S. Congress had not enacted gun control legislation he desired, so now he is planning to act unilaterally on the matter.

“This Friday, I’ll be thinking about my friend Gabby Giffords, five years into her recovery from the shooting in Tucson,” said Obama. “And all across America, survivors of gun violence and those who lost a child, a parent, a spouse to gun violence are forced to mark such awful anniversaries every single day.

“And yet Congress still hasn’t done anything to prevent what happened to them from happening to other families,” he said.

The president said he plans to meet with the attorney general to get the process moving.

“A few months ago, I directed my team at the White House to look into any new actions I can take to help reduce gun violence. And on Monday, I’ll meet with our Attorney General, Loretta Lynch, to discuss our options,” he said.

Here is the full text of the president’s weekly address [1]:

Happy New Year, everybody. I am fired up for the year that stretches out before us. That’s because of what we’ve accomplished together over the past seven.

Seven years ago, our businesses were losing 800,000 jobs a month. They’ve now created jobs for 69 straight months, driving the unemployment rate from a high of 10% down to 5%.

Seven years ago, too many Americans went without health insurance. We’ve now covered more than 17 million people, dropping the rate of the uninsured below 10% for the very first time.

Seven years ago, we were addicted to foreign oil. Now our oil imports have plummeted, our clean energy industry is booming, and America is a global leader in the fight against climate change.

Seven years ago, there were only two states in America with marriage equality. And now there are 50.

All of this progress is because of you. And we’ve got so much more to do. So my New Year’s resolution is to move forward on our unfinished business as much as I can. And I’ll be more frequently asking for your help. That’s what this American project is all about.

That's especially true for one piece of unfinished business, that’s our epidemic of gun violence.

Last month, we remembered the third anniversary of Newtown. This Friday, I’ll be thinking about my friend Gabby Giffords, five years into her recovery from the shooting in Tucson. And all across America, survivors of gun violence and those who lost a child, a parent, a spouse to gun violence are forced to mark such awful anniversaries every single day.

And yet Congress still hasn’t done anything to prevent what happened to them from happening to other families. Three years ago, a bipartisan, commonsense bill would have required background checks for virtually everyone who buys a gun. Keep in mind, this policy was supported by some 90% of the American people. It was supported by a majority of NRA households. But the gun lobby mobilized against it. And the Senate blocked it.

Since then, tens of thousands of our fellow Americans have been mowed down by gun violence. Tens of thousands. Each time, we’re told that commonsense reforms like background checks might not have stopped the last massacre, or the one before that, so we shouldn’t do anything.

We know that we can’t stop every act of violence. But what if we tried to stop even one? What if Congress did something – anything – to protect our kids from gun violence?

A few months ago, I directed my team at the White House to look into any new actions I can take to help reduce gun violence. And on Monday, I’ll meet with our Attorney General, Loretta Lynch, to discuss our options. Because I get too many letters from parents, and teachers, and kids, to sit around and do nothing. I get letters from responsible gun owners who grieve with us every time these tragedies happen; who share my belief that the Second Amendment guarantees a right to bear arms; and who share my belief we can protect that right while keeping an irresponsible, dangerous few from inflicting harm on a massive scale.

Source URL: http://cnsnews.com/news/article/cnsnewscom-staff/obama-says-he-will-act-unilaterally-gun-control-congress-still-hasnt

Offline PzLdr

« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2016, 01:33:40 pm »
And the wusses won't do anything when Super Putz acts unilaterally. either.
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee