Author Topic: Marco Rubio Is Plenty Conservative... By Jim Geraghty  (Read 4424 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Right_in_Virginia

Re: Marco Rubio Is Plenty Conservative... By Jim Geraghty
« Reply #51 on: December 31, 2015, 07:29:28 pm »
Progress doesn't occur because of hissy fits, it occurs as the result of planning, hard work and knowing when to negotiate and deal .   

"It occurs as the result of planning, hard work and knowing when to negotiation and deal".  ---  Thanks for this Jazz.  You've written the very best description of Donald Trump I've read.  And it's spot on!

Well done!!   :patriot:

« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 07:32:31 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #52 on: December 31, 2015, 11:20:59 pm »
"It occurs as the result of planning, hard work and knowing when to negotiation and deal".  ---  Thanks for this Jazz.  You've written the very best description of Donald Trump I've read.  And it's spot on!

Well done!!   :patriot:

Good one!   :seeya:

I see your point.   Myself, I have far less concern in the abstract with having a businessman in the White House than a first-term Senator.   There IS another proven business executive in the race, of course, the one I favor - Fiorina.

My issues with Trump have to do with his tone, temperament and amorality.  Not that he's a businessman.    Hell,  I'd like to see a military executive run for the job, like Petraeus.   Trump's a populist demagogue who thrives on division.  History tells us that's a very bad thing.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 11:26:33 pm by Jazzhead »
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline musiclady

« Reply #53 on: January 01, 2016, 12:11:45 am »
Good one!   :seeya:

I see your point.   Myself, I have far less concern in the abstract with having a businessman in the White House than a first-term Senator.   There IS another proven business executive in the race, of course, the one I favor - Fiorina.

My issues with Trump have to do with his tone, temperament and amorality.  Not that he's a businessman.    Hell,  I'd like to see a military executive run for the job, like Petraeus.   Trump's a populist demagogue who thrives on division.  History tells us that's a very bad thing.

Indeed!
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #54 on: January 02, 2016, 02:06:45 am »
actions speak louder then words

Does that apply to El Trumpo too?

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #55 on: January 02, 2016, 02:09:41 am »
I may be one of just a few, to observe how ridiculous "conservatives" appear, arguing over a guy with a rating of 98, and claiming he is not conservative.

Well, according to some "true" conservatives, the ACU is just another "GOP-E / RINO" organization.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #56 on: January 02, 2016, 02:28:53 am »
Well, according to some "true" conservatives, the ACU is just another "GOP-E / RINO" organization.

I believe many of these so called conservatives, are really democrat operatives moving certain ideas, to discredit Republicans-conservatives.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #57 on: January 02, 2016, 02:31:41 am »
Rubio’s the guy who earned a 100 from National Right to Life in two straight cycles, and a zero rating from NARAL. He supports an abortion ban after 20 weeks, opposes exceptions for rape and incest (although he’s voted for legislation that includes those exceptions), and opposes embryonic stem-cell research. In the first Republican debate he declared, “Future generations will look back at this history of our country and call us barbarians for murdering millions of babies who we never gave them a chance to live.”

Sounds like a social conservative.

On Obamacare, Rubio was the one who made the risk-corridor insurer bailout an issue, starting in 2013, which led to Congress’s enacting limits on how much taxpayer money insurers could be given to cover losses related to the newly insured. Insurance companies that spent small fortunes lobbying for the bill and fighting its opponents are now griping that they’re getting a bad deal and the law may eventually become unworkable for them. If Obamacare is eventually replaced, Rubio will have played a big role in making it happen.

Sounds like someone who can get things done.

He’s got the guts for entitlement reform, too. He wants to raise the retirement age for those under 55, change the benefit calculation for wealthy seniors who do not rely on Social Security, and eliminate the Social Security payroll tax after retirement age to encourage older Americans to stay in the workforce. He wants to open federal workers’ Thrift Savings Program to all Americans.

Not afraid to take on issues laden with political timebombs.

This is a man who has a lifetime ACU rating of 98 out of 100. A man who has a perfect rating from the NRA in the U.S. Senate. A man who earned scores of 100 in 2014, 100 in 2013, 71 in 2012, and 100 in 2011 from the Family Research Council. A “Taxpayer Super Hero” with a lifetime rating of 95 from Citizens Against Government Waste. A man Club for Growth president David McIntosh called “a complete pro-growth, free-market, limited-government conservative.”

These are some of the reasons I am backing Rubio. As an added bonus, he can bring in more Hispanics into the conservative tent and appeal to the younger generation. He also quite articulate. IMHO
 :seeya:

That's quite amazing, Cuky.  Thank you for posting this.   :beer:

The media will take any controversial decision by Marco Rubio and blow it up...for ratings, because they know the ideological social conservatives will scream bloody murder.

For example, his desire to do immigration reform with amnesty.  That drowned out the entire 98% favorability rating.

A Republican Conservative even hinting at amnesty...is dead to them.

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #58 on: January 02, 2016, 02:45:48 am »
Quite the contrary, Cuky.    :patriot:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #59 on: January 02, 2016, 02:55:03 am »
I do like a great number of things about Marco Rubio, and I do not doubt his essential conservatism.

That said, I need to hear more from him about his border and immigration policy, and in a way that helps to assuage my concerns about his priorities with respect to that vital, even existential issue.

I intend to ask him about it directly, if given a chance at one of his upcoming appearances here in my home state.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline musiclady

« Reply #60 on: January 02, 2016, 03:19:12 am »
I do like a great number of things about Marco Rubio, and I do not doubt his essential conservatism.

That said, I need to hear more from him about his border and immigration policy, and in a way that helps to assuage my concerns about his priorities with respect to that vital, even existential issue.

I intend to ask him about it directly, if given a chance at one of his upcoming appearances here in my home state.

Please share with us what he actually says, if you get to ask him, andy.  I have heard what others think he thinks, but I would like to know from the proverbial horse's mouth.

I too need clarification because it's definitely a weakness, and before I make my final decision on who to vote for in the primary, I need more information.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #61 on: January 02, 2016, 03:48:28 am »
Just a reminder - Rubio was one of the Gang of Eight.  He actually joined with John McCain R-AZ, Michael Bennet, D-CO, Richard J. Durbin, D-IL, Jeff Flake, R-AZ, Lindsey Graham, R-SC,  Bob Menendez, D-NJ, and last but not least, Chuck Schumer, D-NY.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #62 on: January 02, 2016, 03:52:24 am »
Just a reminder - Rubio was one of the Gang of Eight.  He actually joined with John McCain R-AZ, Michael Bennet, D-CO, Richard J. Durbin, D-IL, Jeff Flake, R-AZ, Lindsey Graham, R-SC,  Bob Menendez, D-NJ, and last but not least, Chuck Schumer, D-NY.

He wanted so much to be accepted..... :shrug:            :chairbang:       :laugh:

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #63 on: January 02, 2016, 04:36:26 am »
He wanted so much to be accepted..... :shrug:            :chairbang:       :laugh:

Yep.  Running with a really bad crowd.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #64 on: January 02, 2016, 06:28:05 am »
Rubio’s the guy who earned a 100 from National Right to Life in two straight cycles, and a zero rating from NARAL. He supports an abortion ban after 20 weeks, opposes exceptions for rape and incest (although he’s voted for legislation that includes those exceptions), and opposes embryonic stem-cell research. In the first Republican debate he declared, “Future generations will look back at this history of our country and call us barbarians for murdering millions of babies who we never gave them a chance to live.”

Sounds like a social conservative.

On Obamacare, Rubio was the one who made the risk-corridor insurer bailout an issue, starting in 2013, which led to Congress’s enacting limits on how much taxpayer money insurers could be given to cover losses related to the newly insured. Insurance companies that spent small fortunes lobbying for the bill and fighting its opponents are now griping that they’re getting a bad deal and the law may eventually become unworkable for them. If Obamacare is eventually replaced, Rubio will have played a big role in making it happen.

Sounds like someone who can get things done.

He’s got the guts for entitlement reform, too. He wants to raise the retirement age for those under 55, change the benefit calculation for wealthy seniors who do not rely on Social Security, and eliminate the Social Security payroll tax after retirement age to encourage older Americans to stay in the workforce. He wants to open federal workers’ Thrift Savings Program to all Americans.

Not afraid to take on issues laden with political timebombs.

This is a man who has a lifetime ACU rating of 98 out of 100. A man who has a perfect rating from the NRA in the U.S. Senate. A man who earned scores of 100 in 2014, 100 in 2013, 71 in 2012, and 100 in 2011 from the Family Research Council. A “Taxpayer Super Hero” with a lifetime rating of 95 from Citizens Against Government Waste. A man Club for Growth president David McIntosh called “a complete pro-growth, free-market, limited-government conservative.”

These are some of the reasons I am backing Rubio. As an added bonus, he can bring in more Hispanics into the conservative tent and appeal to the younger generation. He also quite articulate. IMHO
 :seeya:

Great post.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #65 on: January 02, 2016, 06:41:19 am »
I'm sorry but actions speak louder then words.
All Trump has is talk. 

Trump on Hillary, 2007: “Very talented, very smart. She's a friend of mine, so I'm a little bit prejudiced. She's a very, very capable person… I think she is [ready to be commander-in-chief]. I think she's a very, very brilliant person. And as a senator in New York, she has done a great job… And I like John Kerry a lot. He's a wonderful guy… But I'm so upset that he blew it [in 2004]… I think Bush is probably the worst president in the history of the United States. I know Hillary and I have great respect… [She's] fantastic.”

[The Situation Room, with Wolf Blitzer. CNN, Mar 16]

Trump on Hillary, 2012: “Hillary Clinton I think is a terrific woman. I am biased because I have known her for years… I really like her and her husband both a lot. I think she really works hard… and I think she does a good job. I like her… I just like her. I like her husband… He is a really good guy, and she's a really good person and woman.” [On the Record, with Greta Van Susteren. Fox News, Mar 28]

He has not voted for anything but he has given lots of his money

http://www.wsj.com/articles/records-show-scant-reagan-trump-ties-1442359829

One month after Mr. Reagan announced his candidacy on Nov. 13, 1979, Mr. Trump, his parents, sister and brother each made the maximum federal campaign contribution allowed—but not to Mr. Reagan. The Trumps all gave to the re-election campaign of Democratic President Jimmy Carter, according to Federal Election Commission records.

FEC records show no donation from Mr. Trump to Mr. Reagan for four more years. In fact, 10 months after Mr. Reagan’s 1981 inauguration, Mr. Trump made an early contribution to the political-action committee for the presidential bid of former Vice President Walter Mondale, a Democrat.

Mr. Trump said Tuesday he couldn’t recall, but thought he had donated to Mr. Reagan. He suggested FEC records might be incomplete. “Keep checking,” he said.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 08:45:11 am by Once-Ler »

Offline musiclady

« Reply #66 on: January 02, 2016, 02:27:59 pm »

The mistake that can't be erased........

(But I don't think any of us are in need of a reminder of that catastrophe).

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #67 on: January 02, 2016, 03:24:34 pm »
The mistake that can't be erased........

(But I don't think any of us are in need of a reminder of that catastrophe).

That was exactly the point I tried to make earlier.  Cuky posted a terrific synopsis of Rubio's 'SoCon pedigree'.  And, it's impressive.

But because of his being part of the Gang of Eight, he's terribly flawed.

He can never be trusted...even with nominating Supreme Court justices.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #68 on: January 02, 2016, 03:35:41 pm »
That was exactly the point I tried to make earlier.  Cuky posted a terrific synopsis of Rubio's 'SoCon pedigree'.  And, it's impressive.

But because of his being part of the Gang of Eight, he's terribly flawed.

He can never be trusted...even with nominating Supreme Court justices.

I have a different perspective.

I agree that he's flawed because of the Gang of Eight, but I don't think it necessarily translates into "he can never be trusted."

I think he just made a terrible mistake, and it may haunt him forever, but that it doesn't mean he's a liar or can't be trusted.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #69 on: January 02, 2016, 03:58:35 pm »
I have a different perspective.

I agree that he's flawed because of the Gang of Eight, but I don't think it necessarily translates into "he can never be trusted."

I think he just made a terrible mistake, and it may haunt him forever, but that it doesn't mean he's a liar or can't be trusted.

So, why take that chance right now?  There are better options, and, me, I'm not willing to take that chance. 

Additionally, Rubio has expressed his support for amnesty since then!  I'm going to take him at his word.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #70 on: January 02, 2016, 04:46:57 pm »
So, why take that chance right now?  There are better options, and, me, I'm not willing to take that chance. 

Additionally, Rubio has expressed his support for amnesty since then!  I'm going to take him at his word.

I completely understand your POV, Sanguine, and yes, there is at least one better option (my first choice right now).

I just haven't completely eliminated Rubio yet.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #71 on: January 02, 2016, 05:34:48 pm »
I completely understand your POV, Sanguine, and yes, there is at least one better option (my first choice right now).

I just haven't completely eliminated Rubio yet.

I can understand that.  Rubio is the better choice were it ever to come to Rubio vs. the democrat candidate.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #72 on: January 02, 2016, 06:26:19 pm »
I can understand that.  Rubio is the better choice were it ever to come to Rubio vs. the democrat candidate.

Indeed.

One of my standards has always been the most conservative, electable candidate.  If Rubio continues to poll well above Hillary, he's still on my short list.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #73 on: January 02, 2016, 06:43:09 pm »
Yes he is except on immigration. If he gets the nomination I will vote for him, but not until then.

The problem I've always had with Rubio is he lied about his stance on illegal immigration from the start in order to get into the Senate and of course his affiliation with the Gang of Eight.  More recently his vote to block conservative amendments to the Iran nuke deal.

Rubio by comparison to most of the other candidates (other than Cruz and perhaps Paul) is fairly conservative.  I would vote for him in the general but not in the primary.

https://www.conservativereview.com/2016-presidential-candidates

Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #74 on: January 02, 2016, 07:22:27 pm »
The problem I've always had with Rubio is he lied about his stance on illegal immigration from the start in order to get into the Senate and of course his affiliation with the Gang of Eight.  More recently his vote to block conservative amendments to the Iran nuke deal. 

This is not very scientific and cannot be documented---but there is something a little too slick, almost slimy about Rubio.  And I'm not referring to his propensity for flop sweat.