Author Topic: Donald Trump takes another apparent shot at Ted Cruz's Cuban ancestry  (Read 443 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Real-estate mogul Donald Trump took another apparent shot at presidential rival and Sen. Ted Cruz’s (R-Texas) Cuban ancestry at a Tuesday-night rally.

“To the best of my knowledge, not too many evangelicals come out of Cuba, OK? Just remember that, OK? Just remember,” Trump said while speaking at an event in Council Bluffs, Iowa.

Trump made the comments while discussing his Iowa poll numbers relative to Cruz’s and touting that he has the same “values” as Iowa voters.

“When you’re casting your ballot, remember,” the Republican presidential front-runner added.

Trump’s statement was almost identical to what he said earlier in the month, just as Cruz started to overtake him in some of the polls of the Iowa GOP caucus. At the time, Trump claimed to be an evangelical himself before highlighting the fact that the senator’s father is Cuban.

“We’re doing really well with the evangelicals,” Trump said then. “And by the way, and again, I do like Ted Cruz, but not a lot of evangelicals come out of Cuba, in all fairness. It’s true. Not a lot come out. But I like him nevertheless.”

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com.au/donald-trump-ted-cruz-evangelical-cuba-iowa-2015-12
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline katzenjammer

Re: Donald Trump takes another apparent shot at Ted Cruz's Cuban ancestry
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2015, 11:59:58 am »
Re-writing the headline: "Donald Trump tries another ham-fisted attempt to win over Iowa Evangelicals"

That's the reality, like it or not.  Cruz's Cuban ancestry is a secondary, or tertiary, aspect.

Trump's Presbyterian background is not what most would consider "Evangelical," by a long shot.

Trump (the neophyte, but highly skilled) politician is trying to leverage a couple of things here:

1.  Most Cubans are Catholic, not Evangelical Protestants.
2.  A Presbyterian is commonly noted as a Protestant.

Will it work for him?  unknown

In his calculus I suppose that he is hoping to accomplish:

1.  Plant the seed, "Cruz == Cuban," which may or may not dissuade N% of caucus goers that don't particularly like Cubans.
2.  Plant the seed, "Cruz ~~ Catholic," for those that don't particularly care for Catholics, and may think that Cruz's Baptist religion is just a politically-based choice.
3.  Plant the seed, "Trump == Protestant ~~ Evangelical," for those that may not think it through all that much.

This is pure political calculus (at the second derivative), like it or not, it is how the game has been played in this country for years.

Most politicians have been a lot less ham-fisted in how they attempt these things; Trump is, Trump.

Offline Longiron

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2015, 12:35:22 pm »
What  does your candidate have planned or have to say on the any subject. Another HATER with no back up and will not say what their candidate stands on anything? Is TRUMP the only one in this race that has anything to say??? There are about 14 others left?  :seeya:

Online mountaineer

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2015, 12:39:31 pm »
What  does your candidate have planned or have to say on the any subject. Another HATER with no back up and will not say what their candidate stands on anything? Is TRUMP the only one in this race that has anything to say??? There are about 14 others left?  :seeya:
Insulting another candidate's heritage doesn't exactly show us where Trump stands on the issues. Perhaps he could spend more time talking about policy and less on personal attacks.

Please note: the foregoing does not mean I hate Trump, nor am I bashing him, so please don't go there.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2015, 12:48:28 pm »
Is TRUMP the only one in this race that has anything to say??? There are about 14 others left?  :seeya:

They are talking but it is the same ole GOP party lines and no one believes them.