Author Topic: Bill Clinton will crush Donald Trump — with a smile  (Read 5107 times)

Offline musiclady

Re: Bill Clinton will crush Donald Trump — with a smile
« Reply #50 on: December 30, 2015, 09:45:53 pm »
“It is necessary for every American, with becoming energy to endeavor to stop the dissemination of principles evidently destructive of the cause for which they have bled. It must be the combined virtue of the rulers and of the people to do this, and to rescue and save their civil and religious rights from the outstretched arm of tyranny, which may appear under any mode or form of government.”

Mercy Warren, History of the Rise, Progress, and Termination of the American Revolution, 1805

1805.  Archaic.  Doesn't matter any more.  Everything's different now.   
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #51 on: December 30, 2015, 09:50:54 pm »
But God never, ever says the sin doesn't matter.   If you use Biblical examples of God's using sinful people to lead, you can't ignore the repentance of those leaders, or the negative consequences their sins had on them.

IOW, you can't compare David with Donald and conclude that integrity doesn't matter.....

I never said, nor implied, anything of the sort.  Merely offered up an example in response to Alice's musings.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #52 on: December 30, 2015, 09:51:29 pm »
1805.  Archaic.  Doesn't matter any more.  Everything's different now.

I suppose so! To our sorrow! They were all precedent!

"When you become entitled to exercise the right of voting for public officers, let it be impressed upon your mind that God commands you to choose for rulers, 'just men who will rule in the fear of God.' The preservation of government depends on the faithful discharge of this duty; if the citizens neglect their duty and place unprincipled men in office, the government will soon be corrupted; laws will be made, not for the public good so much as for selfish or local purposes; corrupt or incompetent men will be appointed to execute the laws; and the rights of the citizens will be violated or disregarded. If a republican government fails to secure public prosperity and happiness, it must be because the citizens neglect the divine commands, and elect bad men to make and administer the laws." 

History of United States by Noah Webster.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 10:05:17 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #53 on: December 30, 2015, 10:04:21 pm »
I guess only dinosaurs like us still care about virtue................

I think people recognize and appreciate virtue where it is in evidence. But we have also grown cynical, owing to our civic culture and perhaps, our own diminished expectations.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline musiclady

« Reply #54 on: December 30, 2015, 10:06:05 pm »
I never said, nor implied, anything of the sort.  Merely offered up an example in response to Alice's musings.

That had been done previously.

The entire point of many here was that it didn't matter if Trump cheated on his wife, and that it wasn't relevant to the discussion of his qualifications to be President.

I consistently have posited that integrity is an important factor in leadership.

I still maintain that it is.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline musiclady

« Reply #55 on: December 30, 2015, 10:14:05 pm »
I think people recognize and appreciate virtue where it is in evidence. But we have also grown cynical, owing to our civic culture and perhaps, our own diminished expectations.

I think that is obvious during this election cycle.  I continue seeing the argument that 'things are different now'  and I wonder how we can so easily discard basic principles of decency and honor as we apparently are being told to do.

How does the badness, if you will, of the GOPe somehow make long held values obsolete?  How can we throw away what has always been important in looking for leadership, and say somehow that because Donald Trump is giving the establishment a hard time, we should overlook the myriad of character flaws he has?

These are troubling times when honor in a leader no longer matters to people whose own integrity is unquestioned.