Author Topic: Anti-Virus Pioneer John McAfee Enters Libertarian Party Presidential Race  (Read 774 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
John McAfee is the 70-year-old founder of the antivirus software firm that bears his name (though he has not been actively involved with it since 1994, and the company was bought by Intel in 2010). He's also a colorful world adventurer who has been candid about his extreme exploits in everything from drug use (and sales) to private home antibiotic-tech experimentation.

He is also seeking the presidential nomination of the Libertarian Party (L.P.), he announced last week via an exclusive story in USA Today. (His edgy life in Belize, which ended when he fled the country under suspicion that he was involved in the shooting death of a neighbor, was chronicled in vivid detail in an epic 2012 Wired magazine profile.)

While McAfee had been planning since September to launch a presidential run under the rubric of a new "Cyber Party," McAfee says in a phone interview this morning that he changed his mind when he realized getting meaningful ballot access from a standing start like that for a third party is effectively impossible (which is just as the major party forces who write and enforce ballot access laws intend it)....

https://reason.com/blog/2015/12/28/anti-virus-pioneer-john-mcafee-enters-li

Offline ABX

Re: Anti-Virus Pioneer John McAfee Enters Libertarian Party Presidential Race
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2015, 07:03:18 pm »
Here is where he really loses me:

It is not the job of the President to resolve our differences or adjudicate our grievances. That is the unenviable job of Congress. The President’s job is to find a common ground upon which all Americans, excluding none, can stand. I am told that this is impossible, yet I can give you one clear example: we are all human, and share the commonalities of fear, love, anger, jealousy, hope and compassion. If we start there, we can begin a conversation, myself and the American public, and perhaps grow that commonality into a substantive base...

No, the job is Commander in Chief of the United States Armed Forces. No where in the Constitution does it say his job is to 'find common ground'

Offline aligncare

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2015, 07:03:22 pm »

My God! This won't hurt Jeb's chances for the nomination, will it?

Offline ABX

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2015, 07:05:21 pm »
My God! This won't hurt Jeb's chances for the nomination, will it?

From what I've seen on libertarian forums, they aren't taking him seriously either. Too much baggage.

Offline flowers

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2015, 08:07:12 pm »

Didn't he get in trouble or arrested in another country sometime this last year?

Offline ABX