Author Topic: Report: Obama to start “speaking out” against Trump in 2016  (Read 2542 times)

rangerrebew

Report: Obama to start “speaking out” against Trump in 2016
« on: December 28, 2015, 10:01:29 pm »
Report: Obama to start “speaking out” against Trump in 2016
posted at 11:31 am on December 28, 2015 by Allahpundit

But … but that’ll help Trump. Can’t Obama see that? If a man as distrusted by Republicans as O starts name-checking Trump as a special threat, undecided GOPers will rally around him. That could be the difference in a close race with Cruz and/or Rubio. Why would Obama do something that’s likely to increase Trump’s chances at the nom—-

Oh. Ohhh.

According to people in the White House, Obama doesn’t talk about Trump much. When he does, it’s with a combination of amusement and disgust at the rhetoric, occasionally mentioning his amazement at GOP leaders’ inability to understand Trump’s supporters and the long-term damage the president thinks Trump is doing to the party with the groups of voters who will decide future elections…

“In the long sweep of history, this chapter is all pretty simple: The country actually switched from one dominant culture that was in charge for 240 years to one that’s multicultural,” said one Obama campaign veteran. “And that wasn’t going to go easy. But now we’re in the middle of it, so it seems chaotic and complicated.”…

Going into next year, Obama will be speaking out against Trump, as he did indirectly in several pro-immigration speeches earlier this month and by name in an interview with NPR last week, when he argued that the Republican front-runner is exploiting the fears of “particularly blue-collar men [who] have had a lot of trouble in this new economy.” And pushing back against Trump will be a central theme of Obama’s international engagement.

If this sounds familiar, it’s because Democrats used the same strategy to brilliant effect in the 2012 Senate race in Missouri. The GOP primary was jammed up with three candidates; Claire McCaskill, the Democratic incumbent, wanted to do something to help Todd Akin win, believing (correctly) that Akin would be the easiest of the three to beat in a general election. The solution: Start attacking Akin before the Republican primary, knowing that a big-name Democrat’s official seal of disapproval would be a strong lure to Republican voters to consider Akin. Some of that is pure tribalism at work — Democrats are bad, therefore things they dislike must be good — and some of it is “they’ll tell you who they fear” reasoning at work. The problem is, sometimes they’re not telling you who they fear when they attack. Sometimes they’re telling you who they don’t fear and hoping you’ll fall for it. In McCaskill’s own words:

Using the guidance of my campaign staff and consultants, we came up with the idea for a “dog whistle” ad, a message that was pitched in such a way that it would be heard only by a certain group of people. I told my team we needed to put Akin’s uber-conservative bona fides in an ad—and then, using reverse psychology, tell voters not to vote for him. And we needed to run the hell out of that ad…

This presentation made it look as though I was trying to disqualify him, though, as we know, when you call someone “too conservative” in a Republican primary, that’s giving him or her a badge of honor. At the end of the ad, my voice was heard saying, “I’m Claire McCaskill, and I approve this message.”

It started to work. Our telephones were ringing off the hook with people saying, “Just because she’s telling me not to vote for him, I’m voting for him. That’s the best ad for Akin I’ve ever seen!”

McCaskill knocking Akin will have a fraction of the reverse-psychology appeal that Obama knocking Trump could have, and of course Obama knows that. If I were him, I’d maximize the impact by holding off on hitting Trump until the last week of January, when Iowans and New Hampshirites start making up their minds, and I’d specifically accuse Trump (a la McCaskill and Akin) of being “too conservative” for America. The more Obama can build up Trump’s ideological bona fides, the more undecided Republicans will consider him a suitable alternative to Cruz and Rubio. Obama will take some flak for that even from his own side on the theory that if, as some critics argue, Trump has been flirting with fascism then it’s irresponsible to promote him even if you think he’s a sure loser in the general election. But the White House counter to that will be simple: He’s a sure loser in the general election. His favorable rating among the wider electorate averages net -23. Even some Republicans will refuse to back him if he’s the nominee. Hillary can’t lose! Which is … probably true, but there’s a lot of risk hidden in that “probably,” as even some liberals admit. She’ll be better organized than Trump will, she’ll raise more money than Trump will, but she’s a black hole of charisma and he’s got enough of it to power a city. If he spends most of the campaign talking about wages and jobs, he’ll contend. Especially in a country where each major party nominee realistically is looking at a floor of 45 percent in a national election.

Remember the last time Obama laid into Trump publicly? Last time it was personal; this time it’s business.

http://hotair.com/archives/2015/12/28/report-obama-to-start-speaking-out-against-trump-in-2016/
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 10:02:06 pm by rangerrebew »

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Re: Report: Obama to start “speaking out” against Trump in 2016
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2015, 10:36:12 pm »
 :2popcorn:
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2015, 10:44:01 pm »
Please, please, please, Obama. Please do us this favor.

Obama is so vulnerable to attack by Trump, (anti-Christian, anti-American, pro-Islam, statements) that if Obama gave Trump any excuse to attack him, Obama would be hit by a Battleship full of rounds coming at him. Trump would not hold back anything.

And if Obama wants to make this a Trump vs. Obama campaign, then bring it on.

Every time Obama and Hillary open their mouth about Trump, they will get ten times as much coming right back at them. And it will only make Trump stronger.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

HonestJohn

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2015, 12:08:12 am »
Obama is not running for President in 2016.

And it'll look mighty strange if Trump campaigns on a "Keep Obama out of the White House in 2016" ideal.

---

The point of this article is that the Democrats *WANT* Trump to be the Republican nominee for the general election as they think him the easiest to defeat.

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2015, 12:12:22 am »

The point of this article is that the Democrats *WANT* Trump to be the Republican nominee for the general election as they think him the easiest to defeat.

Yes, and the Democrats keep telling you that over and over because they really want to do a service to their opposition and make sure they don't nominate their weakest candidate.  Those Democrats are so fair-minded.  They amaze me with their thoughtfulness.
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

HonestJohn

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2015, 12:19:11 am »
Yes, and the Democrats keep telling you that over and over because they really want to do a service to their opposition and make sure they don't nominate their weakest candidate.  Those Democrats are so fair-minded.  They amaze me with their thoughtfulness.

???

The Democrats know there will be a knee-jerk response in support of Trump if Obama speaks out against him.  That's what they are hoping for.

Much like how Pelosi and her opposition of the Sequester pushed Republicans to support cutting the military.

It's Br'er Rabbit and the Tar Baby...  "please, Br'er Fox, don't fling me in dat brier-patch".

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2015, 12:54:00 am »
???

The Democrats know there will be a knee-jerk response in support of Trump if Obama speaks out against him.  That's what they are hoping for.

Much like how Pelosi and her opposition of the Sequester pushed Republicans to support cutting the military.

It's Br'er Rabbit and the Tar Baby...  "please, Br'er Fox, don't fling me in dat brier-patch".

But that's not what they are doing, they are attempting to convince Republicans to turn away from him because he is "sure to lose"...as the article states right here:

But the White House counter to that will be simple: He’s a sure loser in the general election. His favorable rating among the wider electorate averages net -23. Even some Republicans will refuse to back him if he’s the nominee. Hillary can’t lose!

They are giving us political advice out of the goodness of their blessed hearts.
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Offline PzLdr

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2015, 04:36:26 am »
There's another 10 points waiting to happen.
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Offline aligncare

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2015, 11:45:48 am »

Well, this would be a new low for Obama. Lame duck presidents traditionally, generally, stay above the fray. But, of course, Obama is an unseemly person, so no surprise here.

Offline Longiron

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2015, 04:48:46 pm »
There's another 10 points waiting to happen.

Barry knows this and Remember he is not going to give control of the LIB party back to the CLINTIONS. Under NO circumstances is that going to happen. He would rather see TRUMP, CRUZ in there for 4 years and make their MOVE with someone else. JMO :shrug:

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2015, 05:02:45 pm »
Conventional political wisdom is that Trump is a preferable opponent for Hillary than, say, Rubio.  However, if this year is teaching us anything it is that conventional political wisdom is out the window.

If Trump wins the GOP nomination (big if) it will represent a paradigm shift so seismic Hillary will get sucked into it like useless debris into a black hole.  She will get schlonged big time.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 05:03:13 pm by massadvj »

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2015, 05:08:36 pm »
I'm going to respectfully disagree.

One of the under-reported advantages we have is that, if Hillary is the Dem candidate, the vast majority of younger voters aren't exactly excited about her. They'll vote for her, sure - IF THEY BOTHER TO VOTE AT ALL.

Good for us - unless Trump is the Repub candidate. Because they almost universally HATE Trump and will turn out to vote against him, rather than for her.

Just my read on it.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2015, 05:16:30 pm »
I'm going to respectfully disagree.

One of the under-reported advantages we have is that, if Hillary is the Dem candidate, the vast majority of younger voters aren't exactly excited about her. They'll vote for her, sure - IF THEY BOTHER TO VOTE AT ALL.

Good for us - unless Trump is the Repub candidate. Because they almost universally HATE Trump and will turn out to vote against him, rather than for her.

Just my read on it.

I work with Millennials on a daily basis.  My sense is that there is quite a bit of buyers' remorse over OPapaDoc, and I think that spills over to Hillary.  If the Republicans do not nominate someone who inspires them I think they will hang out at Starbucks texting and forget to vote come election day.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2015, 05:35:44 pm »

Trump's a minor celebrity in the millennial's world--so it probably won't get much deeper than that for many of them. So, they'll probably pull the lever for the guy that had the TV show (you know, that billionaire with the orange hair, remember?).

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2015, 05:52:28 pm »
No, my friend.

Millennials are very conformist. Spend a little time checking the humour sites aimed at them - cracked, college humor, something awful. Trump is treated with a mixture of ridicule and venom and they lap it up.

They ain't going to pull the lever for him - not unless he promises free pot and student loan forgiveness - and probably not even then.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline aligncare

« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2015, 06:08:38 pm »
No, my friend.

Millennials are very conformist. Spend a little time checking the humour sites aimed at them - cracked, college humor, something awful. Trump is treated with a mixture of ridicule and venom and they lap it up.

They ain't going to pull the lever for him - not unless he promises free pot and student loan forgiveness - and probably not even then.

You could be right. I have no special understanding of millennials. Except that I have three daughters, who are happily nearly 100% conservative--although one is mildly eco-friendly (thinks it was a good idea when New York City banned styrofoam, to the dismay and consternation of businesses and consumers alike--by the way, the city council politburo reversed that order about two months after announcing it)

HonestJohn

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2015, 06:22:30 pm »
I work with Millennials on a daily basis.  My sense is that there is quite a bit of buyers' remorse over OPapaDoc, and I think that spills over to Hillary.  If the Republicans do not nominate someone who inspires them I think they will hang out at Starbucks texting and forget to vote come election day.

There is buyers remorse over Obama.  However, Obama is not running in 2016... and the millennials know the choice might be Trump vs Clinton.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2015, 06:27:25 pm »
But that's not what they are doing, they are attempting to convince Republicans to turn away from him because he is "sure to lose"...as the article states right here:

But the White House counter to that will be simple: He’s a sure loser in the general election. His favorable rating among the wider electorate averages net -23. Even some Republicans will refuse to back him if he’s the nominee. Hillary can’t lose!

They are giving us political advice out of the goodness of their blessed hearts.

You are reading it wrong.  Those are not the words of the rats.  Those are the words of Allahpundit speculating what Obama would say to rats in secret.

The rats love Trump as a candidate.