Author Topic: Donald Trump Isn’t the Biggest Narcissist in the GOP Field. Ted Cruz Is.  (Read 662 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Interesting take. I don't agree with it, exactly, but there have been times I've wanted to say to Cruz "Chill out, dude."

To hear the pundits and experts in Washington tell it, the problem with Ted Cruz is that he doesn’t play well with others in the Senate, he’s too hardheaded and he doesn’t compromise. In other words, he’s exactly what the Republican primary voters want.

On this score, I side with the Republican primary voters. If Cruz’s problem is that he is a conservative who has no regard for senatorial decorum and fights too hard for the right things, I’m all in.

But there is a far bigger problem with Cruz: Donald Trump is not the most self-absorbed Republican running for president—Cruz is. Whether you like Trump or not (and I don’t), at least Trump makes no effort to hide his narcissism. In that sense, Trump is oddly genuine.

Cruz, on the other hand, takes great pains to be whatever he thinks you want him to be. And the troubling thing is he’s really good at it.

Occasionally, he offers a glimpse of his vanity and his need to be loved—such as the hilariously painful 15 hours of B-roll footage his campaign put on the Web for use by his super PACs. My favorite part of that footage is the multiple times he and his family practiced the prayer scene before a meal … once more, with feeling. There is nothing quite as genuine and humble as a rehearsed, made-for-TV prayer.

The other revealing scene is when Cruz is sitting on the couch with his mom and he says, “Not a day goes by that my mom is not lifting me up in prayer.” Then mom agrees saying, “It’s true.” But then, Cruz can’t help himself and he adds, “for hours at a time,” after which mom can’t take it anymore and very tellingly gives us a roll of the eyes that says it all.

My dad was a preacher for 40 years—a great one I might add. He gave me some sage advice: “Never trust a preacher who wears makeup.” There it is. Cruz is the televangelist candidate. (To be clear, not all televangelists are phony, just most of ’em.)

There is no denying that Cruz is a smart and gifted orator. But if you listen closely you will find that he sells everything with the exact same level of zeal. Whether he is condemning the Islamic State or ordering a ham sandwich, the invective is identical. When a speaker oversells everything, it calls everything he says into question, and it begs questions regarding authenticity and genuineness.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2015/12/ted-cruz-2016-ego-213460
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Paladin

Re: Donald Trump Isn’t the Biggest Narcissist in the GOP Field. Ted Cruz Is.
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2015, 05:33:17 am »
"Curt Anderson is a partner at OMI, a Republican consulting firm. He was an aide in the Reagan White House, former RNC political director, and strategist for Gov. Jindal’s presidential campaign."

Politico and a GOPe insider, consultant. Just what we need for objective analysis.

Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2015, 06:26:01 am »
True. But then again, if you want objective analysis, go in for gas chromatography. You'll never get an objective analysis of a person - or a politician.

In this case, the author's biases are fairly clearly stated.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2015, 06:26:59 am by EC »
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2015, 07:43:51 am »
I don't disagree with much of what the author states but I'm still left saying "So What?"

Yes Cruz comes off as a used car salesman or a preacher.  He's vain.  He's a narcissist.

But on the issues he's pretty good and all politicians are vain and narcissist.  The line about his mother rolling her eyes could indicate that Cruz plays a character in front of the camera, and he may even be in on the joke, and know he is overplaying his role.  None of this makes me less confident that Cruz could be a good President.

I don't have a problem with a politician putting out the best possible case for their election.  Cruz is a lawyer.  Dat's how they do.

The best argument offered against Cruz was the fact that Cruz hasn't actually accomplished anything despite being a headline news maker., and I would counter he is still a freshman Senator.

I also don't have a problem with a politician moderating his views to better represent the views of his, possibly changing, constituents.  That is what a Representative Republic is all about.

Lastly, that this author can say "Trump is oddly genuine,"  :shrug: calls into question everything that follows, in my inebriated opinion. :beer:

Even though I didn't agree with this author, I did enjoy reading the article.  Thank you for posting it EC and although I'm too late to wish you a Merry Christmas this year, I should have. 

I really appreciate your contributions here and I enjoy getting a little English flavor on the news of the day.  I hope Santa brought you lots of figgy pudding.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2015, 05:14:29 pm »
We do not need a leader who loves to play the martyr, because the thing about martyrs is that they always die.

And Cruz the martyr will make sure you know he's dying and he's doing it all for himself.....er, you.........
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.