Author Topic: Trey Gowdy to Endorse, Campaign With Marco Rubio  (Read 8431 times)

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Re: Trey Gowdy to Endorse, Campaign With Marco Rubio
« Reply #50 on: December 27, 2015, 11:51:45 pm »
Yeah, the Omnibus spending bill was a great Republican victory. Just ask Nancy Pelosi, ""[Republicans] wanted big oil so much that they gave away the store".
Do you suppose Nancy might be trying to exacerbate tensions within the GOP, or do you take everything she says at face value?

Offline Paladin

« Reply #51 on: December 27, 2015, 11:52:18 pm »
Do you suppose Nancy might be trying to exacerbate tensions within the GOP, or do you take everything she says at face value?

I think, based on the Omnibus spending bill, this time Nancy is spot on.

As Sanguine stated earlier, "How could a conservative have passed that multi-trillion $ leftist dream budget?  I really don't get it." Perhaps you can explain how this is a Republican victory.

"And because of some terrific negotiations by the Democrats up on Capitol Hill and I think some pretty good work by our legislative staff here… it was a good win,” [Obama] said. “We met our goals,” he said.

“Almost anything, the Republican leadership in the Senate achieved this year, they achieved on Democratic terms… Democrats had an amazingly good year,” [Reid] declared.

https://lexingtonlibertarian.wordpress.com/2015/12/19/democrats-win-everything-in-omnibus-spending-bill-laugh-at-republicans/
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 12:04:59 am by Paladin »
Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #52 on: December 28, 2015, 12:31:58 am »
DCPatriot wrote above:
"Children will be voting next year that were 'only' 10 years old when Barack Obama was first elected.  And BTW....those 10 year olds were taught using Common Core directed by Progressives.
In summary, I don't believe the the USA is a Conservative Nation anymore."

Sad, but true.
One doesn't need a weatherman to see which way the winds are blowin'.
And demographically, they ain't a-blowin' towards the right.

"Term limits are important if we're even going to slow down this car."

Without an "Article V" Convention of The States, this cannot happen.
It's the only way Congressional term limits (and term limits for federal judgeships) will ever become possible.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #53 on: December 28, 2015, 12:37:06 am »
DCPatriot wrote above:
"Children will be voting next year that were 'only' 10 years old when Barack Obama was first elected.  And BTW....those 10 year olds were taught using Common Core directed by Progressives.
In summary, I don't believe the the USA is a Conservative Nation anymore."

Sad, but true.
One doesn't need a weatherman to see which way the winds are blowin'.
And demographically, they ain't a-blowin' towards the right.

"Term limits are important if we're even going to slow down this car."

Without an "Article V" Convention of The States, this cannot happen.
It's the only way Congressional term limits (and term limits for federal judgeships) will ever become possible.

Just wondering what makes you think that anything that might come out of an article 5 convention wouldn't be subverted just as easily as what we have now has been?
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #54 on: December 28, 2015, 01:56:56 am »
Bigun wonders:
"Just wondering what makes you think that anything that might come out of an article 5 convention wouldn't be subverted just as easily as what we have now has been?"

Because anything that comes out of an Article V convention would still have to withstand the ratification process by the states -- same as if it had come from the Congress.

Are not the majority of states now governed by Republican legislatures?
Have not Republicans (conservative or otherwise) won the lion's share of state government elections the past few years?

Why should we fear their ultimate judgement?

Conservatives have a far better chance at passing amendments that will pull America towards conservatism and traditional values via Article V, than we will -ever- have again trying to get them passed through Congress!

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #55 on: December 28, 2015, 02:33:06 am »
Bigun wonders:
"Just wondering what makes you think that anything that might come out of an article 5 convention wouldn't be subverted just as easily as what we have now has been?"

Because anything that comes out of an Article V convention would still have to withstand the ratification process by the states -- same as if it had come from the Congress.

Are not the majority of states now governed by Republican legislatures?
Have not Republicans (conservative or otherwise) won the lion's share of state government elections the past few years?

Why should we fear their ultimate judgement?

Conservatives have a far better chance at passing amendments that will pull America towards conservatism and traditional values via Article V, than we will -ever- have again trying to get them passed through Congress!

I get all that but my question is what will prevent any reforms  that actually make their way into the Constitution from being subverted in the same manner the original has been?

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Paladin

« Reply #56 on: December 28, 2015, 03:06:35 am »
"Are not the majority of states now governed by Republican legislatures?"

Oh, absolutely, and as the recent passage of the Democrat Omnibus Bill shows we can definitely put our trust in that quarter.
Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #57 on: December 28, 2015, 03:19:51 am »
I get all that but my question is what will prevent any reforms  that actually make their way into the Constitution from being subverted in the same manner the original has been?

Well that's the thing. If there is currently no enforcement of Constitutional principles, what good would amending it do? They would simply ignore or subvert the amendments the same as they are doing now.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #58 on: December 28, 2015, 03:34:24 am »
Well that's the thing. If there is currently no enforcement of Constitutional principles, what good would amending it do? They would simply ignore or subvert the amendments the same as they are doing now.

My point exactly!  :beer:

- J. R. R. Tolkien

« Reply #59 on: December 28, 2015, 05:28:22 am »

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/625869142592212992

Donald J. Trump@realDonaldTrump

"@USARestoring: @HillaryClinton's toast. Dems had better get the"B Team" off the bench. @TGowdySC for Attorney General under President Trump

8:23 PM - 27 Jul 2015

Of course this was tweeted 5 months ago, so it probably means nothing to Trump supporters today.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #60 on: December 28, 2015, 05:42:23 am »
Very disappointed and not surprised either....just damn

“Few men have virtue to withstand the highest bidder. “

George Washington, Letter to Major-General Robert Howe, 17 August 1779

- J. R. R. Tolkien

HAPPY2BME

« Reply #61 on: December 29, 2015, 08:29:15 pm »
By Al Weaver • 12/29/15 2:37 PM

Rep. Trey Gowdy officially threw his weight behind Sen. Marco Rubio's presidential campaign Tuesday by joining him on the road in Iowa for a two-day trip to close out 2015.

"I'm in Iowa to give you a word of encouragement," Gowdy started. "It is not my job to tell you who to vote for. But I am going to tell you who I'm going to vote for ... I'm going to vote for Marco Rubio."

Gowdy explained to the crowd that national security and public safety was his determining factor, saying there is "no one better" than Rubio on those two issues.

"I trust Marco Rubio to lead a country safely that has the three most precious things in my life in it," Gowdy said, pointing to his wife and two children, "which is the United States of America over the next four to eight years."

"I've found my candidate: It's Marco Rubio," Gowdy concluded.

Gowdy is best known as the chairman of the House Select Committee on Benghazi, which has led the effort into finding out who was at fault for the Benghazi terror attacks on Sept. 11, 2012.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/gowdy-ive-found-my-candidate-its-marco-rubio/article/2579238

HAPPY2BME

« Reply #62 on: December 29, 2015, 08:29:37 pm »
What a crock of $hit Trey Gowdy has turned out to be.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #63 on: December 29, 2015, 08:41:31 pm »
Actually, I agree with Gowdy that Rubio would be best on national security.  I know others here disagree, but I stand by that opinion.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Longiron

« Reply #64 on: December 29, 2015, 09:11:24 pm »
What a crock of $hit Trey Gowdy has turned out to be.

Lets see he and MARCO could have a hearing if the RINOGOPe needs some PRESS time. As usual nothing comes out except SHOW TIME. MARCO and the Gang of Eight will see that AMNESTY will be provided on his FIRST DAY in OFFICE?  Traitors to the people who put them in OFFICE. :tongue2:

Offline libertybele

« Reply #66 on: December 30, 2015, 01:34:02 am »
Lets see he and MARCO could have a hearing if the RINOGOPe needs some PRESS time. As usual nothing comes out except SHOW TIME. MARCO and the Gang of Eight will see that AMNESTY will be provided on his FIRST DAY in OFFICE?  Traitors to the people who put them in OFFICE. :tongue2:

Yep.  Gowdy has turned out to be another GOPe hunk of crap.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 01:34:27 am by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Relic

« Reply #67 on: December 30, 2015, 01:39:40 am »
Yep.  Gowdy has turned out to be another GOPe hunk of crap.

I was fooled. I thought he was the real deal. And the GOPe types chide us for discarding our favorites. Our favorites discard themselves.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #68 on: December 30, 2015, 01:54:37 am »
I was fooled. I thought he was the real deal. And the GOPe types chide us for discarding our favorites. Our favorites discard themselves.

Without a doubt; I think he fooled quite a few people. He was on my list of a handful or so of Congressmen who I thought were actually worth a damn.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

« Reply #69 on: December 30, 2015, 01:55:21 am »

Besides Cruz, Lee, and Sessions...are there any other "real deal"s in the Senate?  Are there more than a few dozen Congressional "real deal"s? and why do the voters keep getting fooled?

Curious if you have any answers, and whether you have asked yourself these questions.

Offline Relic

« Reply #70 on: December 30, 2015, 02:22:31 am »
Besides Cruz, Lee, and Sessions...are there any other "real deal"s in the Senate?  Are there more than a few dozen Congressional "real deal"s? and why do the voters keep getting fooled?

Curious if you have any answers, and whether you have asked yourself these questions.

Do I keep track of each and every member of Congress? 435 individuals? No, absolutely not.

Money and power. That's what it's about. If a member is elected, they can either play ball, or they'll be shut out. It's a gravy train far too tempting to ignore. I believe lots of good people are sent to Washington DC, only to be corrupted by the machine.

Why do voters get fooled? Well, some voters don't pay any attention, so fooling them isn't much of a task. Why do people who pay attention get fooled? Because they lie, and we accept it. I'd rather not accept it, but my fellow citizens overrule me.

There is only one real answer, for the people to pay attention. That won't happen until things get intolerably bad.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #71 on: December 30, 2015, 02:36:47 am »
Actually, I agree with Gowdy that Rubio would be best on national security. 

I'm truly curious.  Why?

« Reply #72 on: December 30, 2015, 02:44:46 am »
Do I keep track of each and every member of Congress? 435 individuals? No, absolutely not.

Money and power. That's what it's about. If a member is elected, they can either play ball, or they'll be shut out. It's a gravy train far too tempting to ignore. I believe lots of good people are sent to Washington DC, only to be corrupted by the machine.

Thank you for your reply.

The point I am getting to is, if the "real deal" is 3-5% of the elected, then you don't have a lot more of your team to fight against the rats and GOPe.  If Trey Gowdy can't live up to the expectations of "real" conservatives, what hope do you have that those numbers are going to increase?

What happens when you burn a bridge?  You have to learn to swim or fly.

Right now Gowdy's twitter feed and email is being filled by a lot of despicable rants and allegations from the far right, and a whole lot of thank you messages and some donations  from squishy moderates like me.
Why do voters get fooled? Well, some voters don't pay any attention, so fooling them isn't much of a task. Why do people who pay attention get fooled? Because they lie, and we accept it. I'd rather not accept it, but my fellow citizens overrule me.

There is only one real answer, for the people to pay attention. That won't happen until things get intolerably bad.

On this we are agreed.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #73 on: December 30, 2015, 03:06:22 am »

The other part is simply a lack of viable options. If a Congressman had to go through a yes-or-no vote on whether they keep their job, it'd be much tougher to keep their seat. But as it stands, we have to vote directly for somebody, and that other person has to be better than the option we're given. That almost never happens. So, if you're presented with two bad options, it doesn't really matter if you vote or not; an entrenched incumbent or a power-hungry nut will be going to represent "you" in Congress against your will.

With a few exceptions, conservatives, as I've pointed out before, are grossly outnumbered. Even the Freedom Caucus, which backed down from the Speaker fight but is still more conservative than most Republicans, only makes up less than 9% or so of the House of Representatives. Simply put, as good as the conservative platform is for the long-term health of the republic, the positions are ones that people don't like and are hard to sell to a populace used to free bennies and their own special pet causes.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Relic

« Reply #74 on: December 30, 2015, 03:10:59 am »
On this we are agreed.

Most of us here agree more than we disagree. The problem is, many of us see what we thought was "our side" governing as if they were the other side. So, to support those who betray us at every turn gets us almost nothing. I would grant you that the GOP won't govern like the current Marxist government, but the difference is small. When the GOP has the majority they govern as if they are the minority. It's frustrating.

I don't trust Trump, but he is the flashpoint, the lightning rod. Trump channels that frustration, for both sides, it appears.