Author Topic: Trey Gowdy to Endorse, Campaign With Marco Rubio  (Read 8430 times)

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Re: Trey Gowdy to Endorse, Campaign With Marco Rubio
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2015, 09:23:10 am »
:beer:
Conservatives chew up and spit out their heroes at an alarming rate.  It wasn't that long ago that Paul Ryan, and Marco Rubio were the darlings of the right.
Why do you suppose that is my friend?  I tend to believe the goal posts keep moving.  The party evolves and has gotten more conservative over the years, but I imagine Rush, Levin, and Hannity would say that good men get elected then corrupted by Washington.  Perhaps a combination.

What say you?

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2015, 01:23:57 pm »
Conservatives chew up and spit out their heroes at an alarming rate.  It wasn't that long ago that Paul Ryan, and Marco Rubio were the darlings of the right.
Why do you suppose that is my friend?  I tend to believe the goal posts keep moving.  The party evolves and has gotten more conservative over the years, but I imagine Rush, Levin, and Hannity would say that good men get elected then corrupted by Washington.  Perhaps a combination.

What say you?

I say that there are more Americans dying off that are typical of that saying..."....if you're not Conservative by the age of 27, then you're an idiot".

The combination of a stagnant economy since 2008 and the advent of Obamacare may infuse 'new blood' in our Conservative ranks, but the Baby Boomers are now approaching 70 years of age.  We're not being replaced one for one....

The younger people today seem to be 'getting high' on government benefits...and addiction every bit as bad as heroin or meth.

Children will be voting next year that were 'only' 10 years old when Barack Obama was first elected.  And BTW....those 10 year olds were taught using Common Core directed by Progressives.

In summary, I don't believe the the USA is a Conservative Nation anymore.

I do agree with you that many of the "Conservatives" elected to Congress become corrupted because there is a lack of Conservative leadership in the Oval Office and typically a minority of Republicans.

They too, become addicted to the gig and the retirement package.

Term limits are important if we're even going to slow down this car.   Somebody needs to tell that to Thelma and Louise.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2015, 05:10:12 pm by DCPatriot »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline flowers

« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2015, 04:53:42 pm »
 **nononono*

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2015, 04:59:48 pm »

...Term limits are important if we're even going to slow down this car.   Somebody needs to tell that to Thelma and Louise.

Looks like Thelma Ryan and Louise McConnell have already punched the pedal.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2015, 05:53:46 pm »
...Ryan is a conservative, as is Gowdy, in my book.

I find that statement baffling.  How could a conservative have passed that multi-trillion $ leftist dream budget?  I really don't get it.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2015, 06:01:23 pm »
I find that statement baffling.  How could a conservative have passed that multi-trillion $ leftist dream budget?  I really don't get it.

He got a large number of tax breaks made permanent, exporting US oil (which helps the economy) and increased military spending.  For that, tradeoffs were necessary.

That's how Congress and getting legislation works.

I'm sure there are many here who would have jumped up and down for a government shutdown but, given who gets the blame for those, that wasn't going to happen.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2015, 06:30:15 pm »
Conservatives chew up and spit out their heroes at an alarming rate.  It wasn't that long ago that Paul Ryan, and Marco Rubio were the darlings of the right.  Heads up Senator Cruz...you're probably next.

What's the difference between a conservative patriot and a squishy RINO?  One re-election.

That is the Truth.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2015, 06:31:07 pm »
I do like the oil export ban being lifted. I have been building up oil shares (UCO) in anticipation of a turn around. Few opportunities like these with such potential upside and so little downside left  8888forgot Sorry about getting off topic.

As Ryan put it, lifting the ban on oil exports is the equivalent of multiple Keystone pipelines.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2015, 06:35:38 pm »
Because of Ryan's past work on a responsible budget I am willing to give him a pass on the current budget as he has stated that he was given the current package after all the
negotiations were already done by his predecessor and Obama leaving him few options on what to do. I do understand your disappointment and anger and do not fault you for it. However, for myself, I will wait and see what Ryan does in 2016 as Speaker before passing judgement and deciding that his conservative past was a hoax.

We've already seen what he does as speaker!

This wasn't just a budget - they funded most, if not all of 0's pet projects, and put all of that on the backs of the taxpayers, born and unborn.  If you're NOT totally disgusted and angry it's beyond baffling.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2015, 07:37:59 pm »
I do like the oil export ban being lifted. I have been building up oil shares (UCO) in anticipation of a turn around. Few opportunities like these with such potential upside and so little downside left  8888forgot Sorry about getting off topic.

The problem with this is that we have budgets that are being used for legislation instead of their intended purposes. Instead of clean funding bills, the budget is packed with riders and regulations that have nothing to do with funding. I agree with the ban being lifted, but it should  be done as its own bill, not a rider on a budget. That's how we get in the regulatory mess we are in.

Offline Relic

« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2015, 07:41:36 pm »
Trey needs to stay in DC and actually accomplish something.

He has. He'll never have to worry about money.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2015, 08:24:03 pm »
Very true. All show and no results.
Fast Furious -- nothing
IRS -- nothing
Benghazi -- nothing
Emails -- nothing

Batting zero for four

That's quite a list.   **nononono*

« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2015, 08:26:21 pm »
I know EXACTLY how the process works! The big money donors call the tune and their minions dance!

:thumbsup2:   :thumbsup2:    :thumbsup2:

« Reply #38 on: December 27, 2015, 08:31:02 pm »
The combination of a stagnant economy since 2008 and the advent of Obamacare may infuse 'new blood' in our Conservative ranks, but the Baby Boomers are now approaching 70 years of age.  We're not being replaced one for one....

The younger people today seem to be 'getting high' on government benefits...and addiction every bit as bad as heroin or meth.

Children will be voting next year that were 'only' 10 years old when Barack Obama was first elected.  And BTW....those 10 year olds were taught using Common Core directed by Progressives.

I do agree with you that many of the "Conservatives" elected to Congress become corrupted because there is a lack of Conservative leadership in the Oval Office and typically a minority of Republicans.

They too, become addicted to the gig and the retirement package.

Term limits are important if we're even going to slow down this car.   Somebody needs to tell that to Thelma and Louise. 

:thumbsup2:    goopo    :thumbsup2:

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #39 on: December 27, 2015, 08:54:12 pm »
That's quite a list.   **nononono*

I love Gowdy. I like him a lot. I did not mean in any way to bash him in particular. My anger is at the establishment in general, both of them, establishing precedent that they themselves will one day regret. Once the idea of 'law' becomes meaningless, then they are just as much at risk as all of us. Maybe even more, with some ruler that arises in the future.

I know Trey wanted to do the right thing. And I understand his constraints.

With Tammy Faye as his boss, and Malcom X as the AG, there was very little chance of success.

My problem is with the whole GOP structure, and their obsessive obsequiousness to whatever Obama dictates on any particular day.

Having said all of that, it is disappointing that he chose Rubio over Cruz. But, every man makes his own choices, so, what can you do.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #40 on: December 27, 2015, 08:59:12 pm »
He got a large number of tax breaks made permanent, exporting US oil (which helps the economy) and increased military spending.  For that, tradeoffs were necessary.

I'm sure there are many here who would have jumped up and down for a government shutdown but, given who gets the blame for those, that wasn't going to happen.

Right, except we gave up the equivalent of the house, the farm, the profitable side business, our firstborn into indentured servitude, and taking on all their debt, to the neighbors, while they gave us a new Lexus, cool bomber jackets, Ray-ban sunglasses, new ski equipment, and an all-expenses paid weekend to Aspen.

All good things, but not worth near what was given up. Not exactly how getting legislation should work.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2015, 08:59:58 pm by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

« Reply #41 on: December 27, 2015, 09:35:15 pm »
I love Gowdy. I like him a lot. I did not mean in any way to bash him in particular. My anger is at the establishment in general, both of them, establishing precedent that they themselves will one day regret. Once the idea of 'law' becomes meaningless, then they are just as much at risk as all of us. Maybe even more, with some ruler that arises in the future.

I know Trey wanted to do the right thing. And I understand his constraints.

With Tammy Faye as his boss, and Malcom X as the AG, there was very little chance of success.

My problem is with the whole GOP structure, and their obsessive obsequiousness to whatever Obama dictates on any particular day.

Having said all of that, it is disappointing that he chose Rubio over Cruz. But, every man makes his own choices, so, what can you do. 

I had such high hopes invested in Gowdy.  I believed he was a warrior--and would stop at nothing to get to the truth. To say I'm disappointed in him would be an enormous understatement. 

With bloody fingernails I've held onto to the belief that Gowdy's failures made him a victim of establishment constraint.  But his choice of Rubio over Cruz or Trump just proves to me Gowdy was part of the establishment and the constraints were either his own choosing or a welcomed relief.

I appreciate that you're not looking to "bash" Gowdy.     Appreciate that I am--and that IMO he's earned it.

Offline MBB1984

« Reply #42 on: December 27, 2015, 09:51:33 pm »
Gowdy is a show pony.  He did nothing to find Lerner in contempt for refusing to testify.  He knew about the Clinton emails six months before they became public.  He is completely disinterested in filing any impeachment charges.

Gowdy is a castrated, toothless poodle who has a large bark, but no bite.  he is good at a few things, however.  He is a master at Kabuki theater and will thrust himself violently to the forefront of television cameras.

I am glad that he endorsed amnesty boy.  He needed to be "outed" as another Rino owned by the amnesty donor class.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #43 on: December 27, 2015, 10:02:22 pm »
Gowdy is a show pony.  He did nothing to find Lerner in contempt for refusing to testify.  He knew about the Clinton emails six months before they became public.  He is completely disinterested in filing any impeachment charges.

Gowdy is a castrated, toothless poodle who has a large bark, but no bite.  he is good at a few things, however.  He is a master at Kabuki theater and will thrust himself violently to the forefront of television cameras.

I am glad that he endorsed amnesty boy.  He needed to be "outed" as another Rino owned by the amnesty donor class.

Trey Gowdy was not chairman of the House Oversight Committee when Lerner testified.  Darrell Issa was.

How does he file impeachment charges?  Against whom?

Trey Gowdy has the respect of his fellow GOP House members.  That he didn't scream and yell and refer charges (because that's all he can do)  is indicative of nothing except some fantasy in the mind of his critics.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #44 on: December 27, 2015, 10:09:16 pm »
Trey Gowdy was not chairman of the House Oversight Committee when Lerner testified.  Darrell Issa was.

How does he file impeachment charges?  Against whom?

Amazing sometimes here, to see the low knowledge and skill threshold. Just misdirected anger.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #45 on: December 27, 2015, 10:17:58 pm »
I defer to the opinion of the group. I have massive amounts of respect for all of you, and consider most of you to be much more informed than I will ever be.

However, although I understand the arguments and the emotions, I am stubbornly holding on to hope for Gowdy. I have to hope that he is doing what he feels is the right thing to do. I just cannot picture him as an establishment type.

I do believe that things would have been much different with Gowdy and Issa, had they been working under a different administration. Obama has bragged about playing by what he called, "Chicago Rules". It is more than difficult to do anything in that environment unless you have the support of the GOPe. And the GOPe has always supported Obama. So, they both were left hanging on their own with no backup.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

« Reply #46 on: December 27, 2015, 10:58:13 pm »

The good news(?) is the youth rarely vote.  The voters in their mid twenties can't find a good job.  And we all have almost 6 years experience with the promise of government ..."if you like your doctor you can keep him."

I'd add that "conservatism" is a much more subjective term than when Reagan was President.

Thank you for your response.

« Reply #47 on: December 27, 2015, 11:04:38 pm »
I do believe that things would have been much different with Gowdy and Issa, had they been working under a different administration. Obama has bragged about playing by what he called, "Chicago Rules". It is more than difficult to do anything in that environment unless you have the support of the GOPe. And the GOPe has always supported Obama. So, they both were left hanging on their own with no backup.

This is, IMHO, the one thing Obama cannot be blamed for.  Putting the responsibility for failure to oppose and expose the Obama administration does rest entirely with the establishment Republican Party.  And not because the "Chicago Rules" intimidated them, it is as you said:  The establishment GOP supports Obama and his goals for America.

If we do not make a break from this political uniparty now, I don't see us getting another chance.  Anyone tarred with the GOPe scarlet letters should be cast aside and shunned during this election cycle.  No ifs, ands, or buts about it. 

« Reply #48 on: December 27, 2015, 11:17:08 pm »
If we do not make a break from this political uniparty now, I don't see us getting another chance.  Anyone tarred with the GOPe scarlet letters should be cast aside and shunned during this election cycle.  No ifs, ands, or buts about it.

So once we purge the GOP of all but 4 Senators and a couple dozen Congressmen we can finally win?  Let's get started.

Offline Paladin

« Reply #49 on: December 27, 2015, 11:30:54 pm »

Yeah, the Omnibus spending bill was a great Republican victory. Just ask Nancy Pelosi, ""[Republicans] wanted big oil so much that they gave away the store".
Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.