Author Topic: Conrad Black: In defence of Donald Trump  (Read 1363 times)

Offline GAJohnnie

Conrad Black: In defence of Donald Trump
« on: December 21, 2015, 04:45:55 pm »
http://news.nationalpost.com/full-comment/conrad-black-in-defence-of-donald-trump

The principal news about Donald Trump’s candidacy for the U.S. Republican presidential nomination is not the sometimes controversial things that he says, but the increasingly hysterical responses to him from the traditionally respectable political quarters that he discomforts. In this shrill political atmosphere, he is not the chief offender to civil standards of political discourse. Roger Cohen wrote in The New York Times last week, and he was reprinted in the National Post on Wednesday, that Trump was reminiscent of Hitler, that there were serious comparisons between Weimar Germany (1919-1933) and the contemporary United States, and that American politics is being Europeanized. By this, Cohen meant succumbing to the charms of France’s Front National, fascism, and, quite explicitly, Nazism. Unfortunately, this theme was taken up in a National Post editorial and letters on Thursday, Dec.17. The editorial represented Donald Trump as “manifestly a mean-spirited, egomaniacal buffoon unfit to govern.” In The Globe and Mail the same day, Trump was lampooned by the urbane John Doyle as a practitioner of Dr. Joseph Goebbels’ Big Lie.

I wrote about the Trump candidacy in my column in the National Review Online (New York) last week and it was widely reposted, including by Donald himself. He is not my preferred candidate but I denounced the Cohen piece, as well as the comparison of Trump with Senator Joseph R. McCarthy by Max Boot, a distinguished guerrilla war and Middle East expert. Now that the Cohen comments have migrated to Canada, I say that that column, and reflections like it, including these local echoes, are ignorant, false, and grossly misleading. There is no comparison to be drawn between any of these individuals, except in contrasts, and the outrages committed by this sort of Trump-accuser are far more egregious than even Donald’s clumsiest sallies.

Offline GAJohnnie

Re: Conrad Black: In defence of Donald Trump
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2015, 04:48:45 pm »
The principal news about Donald Trump’s candidacy for the U.S. Republican presidential nomination is not the sometimes controversial things that he says, but the increasingly hysterical responses to him from the traditionally respectable political quarters that he discomforts. In this shrill political atmosphere, he is not the chief offender to civil standards of political discourse.

The gist of the article above. As my wife told me 3 months ago or so "They (the "News" media) keep this up, they are going to end up electing him (Trump) President. The response to Trump has ben so shrill, hysteric and over the top that NO one is listening to the Junk media anymore. It is a case of the classic "Boy who cried Wolf" syndrome.

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2015, 04:57:40 pm »
The principal news about Donald Trump’s candidacy for the U.S. Republican presidential nomination is not the sometimes controversial things that he says, but the increasingly hysterical responses to him from the traditionally respectable political quarters that he discomforts. In this shrill political atmosphere, he is not the chief offender to civil standards of political discourse.

The gist of the article above. As my wife told me 3 months ago or so "They (the "News" media) keep this up, they are going to end up electing him (Trump) President. The response to Trump has ben so shrill, hysteric and over the top that NO one is listening to the Junk media anymore. It is a case of the classic "Boy who cried Wolf" syndrome.

The Republican elite will not go down quietly. And I suspect that they will definitely unite in subterfuge with Hillary...one political class, two party names.  They will do this to either Cruz or Trump, anyone who is not an approved insider under the control of the money men.
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Offline GAJohnnie

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2015, 05:05:03 pm »
The Republican elite will not go down quietly. And I suspect that they will definitely unite in subterfuge with Hillary...one political class, two party names.  They will do this to either Cruz or Trump, anyone who is not an approved insider under the control of the money men.

Yes been real eye opening experience watching the Dc Machines maneuvering here. After more than 30 years as a loyal GOP foot solder, the blinders are off now.

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2015, 05:09:40 pm »
Yes been real eye opening experience watching the Dc Machines maneuvering here. After more than 30 years as a loyal GOP foot solder, the blinders are off now.

I know, once I get done voting in this primary, I'm changing my registration to Independent.  This party, just like the Democrat, will put a knife in the back of anyone who isn't an insider in the money club.

...Bob Dylan

Offline flowers

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2015, 05:35:49 pm »
Add in this WH they will stop at nothing to get her in too.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2015, 05:37:24 pm »

Mine came off some time ago so I'll say Welcome aboard!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Carling

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2015, 07:09:29 pm »

It took me until this summer to wake up.  I used to be a party loyalist, but I'm done with being lied to by the establishment GOP.  Last week's Omnibus capitulation leaves me with no regrets of leaving the party after 25 years as a loyal party hack.

The rude behavior of GOPe posters towards anyone who won't do anything other than bash Trump has validated my change, too.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 07:12:59 pm by Carling »
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

Offline GAJohnnie

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2015, 07:12:16 pm »
Sad to realize that we are back where we started. Started as one of the "extremists" for Ronald Reagan, now considered too "extremist" for today's GOPe.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 07:12:41 pm by GAJohnnie »

Offline Longiron

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2015, 08:00:40 pm »
It took me until this summer to wake up.  I used to be a party loyalist, but I'm done with being lied to by the establishment GOP.  Last week's Omnibus capitulation leaves me with no regrets of leaving the party after 25 years as a loyal party hack.

The rude behavior of GOPe posters towards anyone who won't do anything other than bash Trump has validated my change, too.

Please do not go anywhere to after the PRIMARY. We need you to vote against the RINOGOPe, Big Business, Big Media, Big GOV't and I am sure your candidate is against that also. Many will follow you out the RINOGOPe door but that is what they want one to do but BEFORE THE primary. :patriot:

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2015, 08:05:01 pm »
I still maintain Trump could win going Third Party.

All he needs is 25% from each party.  And IMO, it's there.

:patriot:
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 08:05:19 pm by DCPatriot »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline GAJohnnie

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2015, 08:11:36 pm »

Can't Neither Ohio or Texas allow sore losers to run as indepdendents

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2015, 08:13:22 pm »
Can't Neither Ohio or Texas allow sore losers to run as indepdendents

Okay, then why is anybody talking about Third Party...generally speaking?  It was asked again during the last debate, wasn't it?
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2015, 08:14:32 pm »

The parties, both of them, do not have much support outside of the donor class - they are not held in high regard by the voters.  You may be right.  If it does happen, I hope the message isn't lost on the political class - though the money probably shouts louder than anything in their ears.  Our government may be the most corrupt in the history of the planet.

...Bob Dylan

Offline GAJohnnie

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2015, 08:15:29 pm »
Okay, then why is anybody talking about Third Party...generally speaking?  It was asked again during the last debate, wasn't it?

Because it is "DRAMA"!

Drama queens run news broadcasts and newspapers. However, doesn't mean if things go south this year he doesn't run a winning Indy campaign in 2020.

Offline Longiron

« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2015, 08:53:59 pm »
The parties, both of them, do not have much support outside of the donor class - they are not held in high regard by the voters.  You may be right.  If it does happen, I hope the message isn't lost on the political class - though the money probably shouts louder than anything in their ears.  Our government may be the most corrupt in the history of the planet.

Agree most of the support comes from BIG Donors of BOTH parties but especially the RINOGOPe . I also agree TRUMP can run 3 rd Party and WIN. He checked it out by NOW you can bet on it. NOT much support of the RINOGOPE their as BIG Media, BIG Business and BIG Gov't, BIG Donors want everyone to think. They think they are the NORN of what people want and think and that is why TRUMP and CRUZ are WINNING.

Another subject: WHOM is going to pick up Ms Lindsey 0.05% voters?? That will be a coveted endorsement. :silly:
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 08:56:22 pm by Longiron »