Author Topic: Mass Casualty Incident on Las Vegas Strip  (Read 10913 times)

Offline andy58-in-nh

Re: Mass Casualty Incident on Las Vegas Strip
« Reply #100 on: December 22, 2015, 04:10:19 pm »
where are the calls for common sense car laws?

That's right. After all, "if it could save just one life"....
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline flowers

« Reply #101 on: December 22, 2015, 04:30:09 pm »
Good grief.......what happened to this thread. I left here yesterday, it seemed to be going well. Wow....there is a double standard.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #102 on: December 22, 2015, 05:20:05 pm »
I like this place.  I like most of the posters here.  Given that, I'm going to say something that is bound to be unpopular, at least with some.

We have a couple of posters here who are clueless and who regularly post things that really make you wonder, silly, thoughtless, shallow-minded stuff.  A few of them only post things that make you wonder. 

And, then there are those who post things for the purpose of getting a rise out of reasonable people.  You can try to make the non-thinkers think, but those who are here only to spread bile and discord can and should be put on ignore.  Then all you see is:  "You are ignoring this user. "  It's beautiful.  The beauty is only marred by those who just have to quote the offending comment. 

So, why does the second type of person post this kind of stuff?  To get a rise!  How do we discourage them posting that kind of stuff?  Put them on ignore and leave them there!  (And, I say this after having responded fairly recently to one of those screeds.  No more.)

Conclusion - we are all complicit in keeping this going.  We need to stop.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #103 on: December 22, 2015, 05:29:29 pm »
I like this place.  I like most of the posters here.  Given that, I'm going to say something that is bound to be unpopular, at least with some.

We have a couple of posters here who are clueless and who regularly post things that really make you wonder, silly, thoughtless, shallow-minded stuff.  A few of them only post things that make you wonder. 

And, then there are those who post things for the purpose of getting a rise out of reasonable people.  You can try to make the non-thinkers think, but those who are here only to spread bile and discord can and should be put on ignore.  Then all you see is:  "You are ignoring this user. "  It's beautiful.  The beauty is only marred by those who just have to quote the offending comment. 

So, why does the second type of person post this kind of stuff?  To get a rise!  How do we discourage them posting that kind of stuff?  Put them on ignore and leave them there!  (And, I say this after having responded fairly recently to one of those screeds.  No more.)

Conclusion - we are all complicit in keeping this going.  We need to stop.

If only we would follow your prescription. Feed trolls and all you get is a handful of saliva.

But, we are at our root all liberty loving conservatives. Like trying to herd cats.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #104 on: December 22, 2015, 05:31:57 pm »
If only we would follow your prescription. Feed trolls and all you get is a handful of saliva.

But, we are at our root all liberty loving conservatives. Like trying to herd cats.

So, we have to mindlessly follow our liberty-loving instincts?  I think not. 

**nononono*

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #105 on: December 22, 2015, 05:41:58 pm »
So, we have to mindlessly follow our liberty-loving instincts?  I think not. 

**nononono*

Well, I rarely put anyone on ignore - but there are several people that I usually ignore. It's not as fun to make a provocative remark if no one retorts - however, there are times I must enter the fray, but I have cut way back! 

If people that see remarks they don't like could just avert their eyes and move on to something else, I think it would reduce those remarks over a short period of time. 

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline aligncare

« Reply #106 on: December 22, 2015, 06:03:42 pm »
Well, I rarely put anyone on ignore - but there are several people that I usually ignore. It's not as fun to make a provocative remark if no one retorts - however, there are times I must enter the fray, but I have cut way back! 

If people that see remarks they don't like could just avert their eyes and move on to something else, I think it would reduce those remarks over a short period of time.

I'm happy to say I do exactly that. Shunning is an age old remedy for disruptive members of any community.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #107 on: December 22, 2015, 06:08:49 pm »
I'm happy to say I do exactly that. Shunning is an age old remedy for disruptive members of any community.

There are a couple that I try very hard to ignore but usually without success unfortunately!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #108 on: December 22, 2015, 06:12:47 pm »
I never said that SB was workplace violence. I said we didn't know, the same thing some posters on here have been saying.

Take it from me, a nasty piece of work, YOU are a nasty piece of work.

You know what buddy, it took me a bit, but I realized that you really remind me of the worst side of Trump. I like alot of things he says, but at times he goes off the rails with the insults. The funny part is that your style is almost EXACTLY the same as his in that regard. It's uncanny, like you are relatives or something. Weird considering you hate him so much, but are almost identical in the way you verbally spar with people.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 06:13:28 pm by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Offline xfreeper

« Reply #109 on: December 22, 2015, 06:42:15 pm »
There are people here who can't discuss or debate issues with out taking personal shots at anyone that disagrees with them or challenges a position. The love to drag you in to a chicken shit squabble and hope that they can keep you in it page after page. It's best not to even respond. Maybe then they will eventually go away

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #110 on: December 22, 2015, 06:46:47 pm »
There are people here who can't discuss or debate issues with out taking personal shots at anyone that disagrees with them or challenges a position. The love to drag you in to a chicken shit squabble and hope that they can keep you in it page after page. It's best not to even respond. Maybe then they will eventually go away

Yes, it is the most common and basic form of trolling.  But apparently it is "protected speech" (for some) here.  As long as it persists, the entire forum will be continued to be dragged down into the sewer. 

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #111 on: December 22, 2015, 07:04:02 pm »
...It's best not to even respond. Maybe then they will eventually go away

:beer:

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
« Reply #112 on: December 22, 2015, 07:29:10 pm »
I'm very sorry that I fired back at Sinkspur...he is like Trump in that he purposely tries to get under your skin.  I could have just let his first silly comment go but I hate the way he tries to bully his way around a thread.  So I made it all worse...on a thread I started.  Sorry for that, it was my fault.
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #113 on: December 22, 2015, 07:33:36 pm »
Meh - it happens. No one likes their thread getting messed up - especially one that they worked hard on (seriously, thank you so much for the real time updates!).
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #114 on: December 22, 2015, 07:45:39 pm »
I'm very sorry that I fired back at Sinkspur...he is like Trump in that he purposely tries to get under your skin.  I could have just let his first silly comment go but I hate the way he tries to bully his way around a thread.  So I made it all worse...on a thread I started.  Sorry for that, it was my fault.

I too, appreciate your thread and your firsthand comments.  Really good!  In spite of good efforts, it's really hard not to get sucked into responding to negativism sometimes.  Been guilty of that myself. 

:beer:

« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 07:46:33 pm by alicewonders »
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!