Author Topic: Did Fiorina nail Trump on the Middle East question in the December 15 debate? In other words, does Trump sound more like a liberal than a conservative here?  (Read 606 times)

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
Excerpt from the December 15, 2015 CNN main Republican debate in Las Vegas:

BLITZER: Mr. Trump, are Americans safer with dictators running the world in the Middle East?

TRUMP: In my opinion, we've spent $4 trillion trying to topple various people that frankly, if they were there and if we could've spent that $4 trillion in the United States to fix our roads, our bridges, and all of the other problems; our airports and all of the other problems we've had, we would've been a lot better off. I can tell you that right now.

We have done a tremendous disservice, not only to Middle East, we’ve done a tremendous disservice to humanity. The people that have been killed, the people that have wiped away, and for what? It’s not like we had victory.

It's a mess. The Middle East is totally destabilized. A total and complete mess. I wish we had the $4 trillion or $5 trillion. I wish it were spent right here in the United States, on our schools, hospitals, roads, airports, and everything else that are all falling apart.

(APPLAUSE)

FIORINA: That is exactly what President Obama said. I'm amazed to hear that from a Republican presidential candidate. But let's just start with, who got it wrong? Who really got it wrong?

Hillary Clinton has gotten every foreign policy challenge wrong. Hitting the reset button with Vladimir Putin – recall that she called Bashar Al-Assad a positive reformer and then she opened an embassy and then later she said, over, and over, and over again, "Bashar Al-Assad must go." Although she wasn't prepared to do anything about it. Recall that Hillary Clinton was all for toppling Gadhafi then didn't listen to her own people on the ground. And then of course, when she lied about the terrorist attack in Benghazi, she invited more terrorist attacks.

BLITZER: Thank you.

Mr. Trump?

TRUMP: Well, there's nothing to respond to. Well, people feel differently. I mean, the fact is Benghazi was a disaster because of Libya, everything just fell into place. It could not have been worse.

What do we have now? We have nothing. We've spent $3 trillion and probably much more – I have no idea what we've spent. Thousands and thousands of lives, we have nothing. Wounded warriors all over the place who I love, we have nothing for it.

And by the way – and Ben said incorrectly – and I'm not saying this as a knock – he's one of finest men. You're not going to find a finer men.

But I've been talking about oil for three years. I've been saying,, "take the oil, take the oil." I didn't say, "just bomb it," I said," take it and use it and distribute it so that the wounded warriors -" People, I've been saying this now for many years.

BLITZER: All right.

TRUMP: Now, all of a sudden everybody's saying, "take the oil." It wasn't so fashionable to take the oil six months ago. I've been saying it for years.

BLITZER: Thank you.

FIORINA: We've mismanaged going into Iraq.

BLITZER: Dr. Carson, is the Middle East…

FIORINA: We've mismanaged going out of Iraq.

Source

The entire exchange has been included for context, but this is about the emphasized portion at the beginning of the excerpt.

Did Fiorina nail Trump on the Middle East question in the December 15 debate? In other words, does Trump sound more like a liberal than a conservative here?

What say you?

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

I've thought Trump was a rat plant since day one.  The only differences between Trump and Hitlery are Hitlary is hundreds of times more wealthy than the average American while Trump is thousands of times more wealthy, and Trump publicly hates Mexicans while Hitlery hides it.

Both calculate the cost of 2 wars without realizing the cost of inaction.  The cost of inaction is the war comes to us.  The cost is San Bernardino.

Online libertybele

"Both calculate the cost of 2 wars without realizing the cost of inaction.  The cost of inaction is the war comes to us.  The cost is San Bernardino."

If we look back at the bombing of the U.S.S. Cole -- Billy Bob did nothing -- and we all know the rest of the story.

Obama did just the opposite; he tried to stop the 'action' that was already put into place. I think he and the Beast knew full well what was going to happen.  Afterwards he made a nuke deal with Iran and now he's going to allow thousands of people who want to kill us into our country.  If those aren't signs that he wants to destroy this country, I don't know what is.  Oh, did I mention that he intends to implement gun control via executive action so that we are defenseless against those thousands that want to kill us?
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Obama did just the opposite; he tried to stop the 'action' that was already put into place. I think he and the Beast knew full well what was going to happen.  Afterwards he made a nuke deal with Iran and now he's going to allow thousands of people who want to kill us into our country.  If those aren't signs that he wants to destroy this country, I don't know what is.  Oh, did I mention that he intends to implement gun control via executive action so that we are defenseless against those thousands that want to kill us?
That is a pretty good argument for a distinction between the rat Presidents

I don't know that we can ever get inside the head of evil people, but I imagine Hitler, Stalin, Saddam, and Osama did not think they would bring ruin to their people and shame upon their families.  They thought they were good people, and doing good for their people.

I bet Obama thinks his Iran nuke deal, Syrian refugee plan, and gun confiscation will make us safer.