Author Topic: Rush: GOP Sells America Down the River  (Read 2939 times)

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Re: Rush: GOP Sells America Down the River
« Reply #50 on: December 18, 2015, 08:23:34 am »
That's a false dichotomy.

It's not either Trump or 'the people we elected.'

I understand the anger, but voting for a Progressive because you're angry with the Republicans doesn't make sense in a rational world.

I find myself hesitant to praise your eminently logical posts like this one.  I fear my flippant humor and self surrender to reality will somehow taint your comments. It is sad because you make too much sense for some, but I recognize in you, the reasons why I used to call myself conservative.   Your posts bring me back to a day when I could proudly call myself a conservative.  When that meant more than a dismissal of both parties as evil, or the lessor of 2 evils.  Today I say I am a pro-life, pro-gun, pro-business, pro-God, pro-taxcut, pro-military Republican...I have no idea what a conservative is in the age of pro PP, pro gun restriction, pro-emanate domain, pro-bankruptcy, pro-tax, pro-soldiers who don't get captured Trump.  I am so filled with rage and disgust that this f*cker is representing MY party...a party that his fans callously reject, that I sometimes see good and honorable people like DC and AlignCare as my enemy, while Obama, and Hitlery laugh.  I guess I wouldn't believe in anything if it wasn't for my Lucky Astrology Mood Watch (thanx Steve)

Seriously, I am so glad you take the time to be heard and understood...against the slings and barbs of those who would see you as a 1 issue voter.  I may not call myself conservative today,  but in my heart, and in the heart of liberal Madison, WI...I am.

« Reply #51 on: December 18, 2015, 09:00:56 am »
King Barack Hussein Obama the 1st:

I accept your unconditional surrender Mr Ryan, you may now kiss my feet.

What betrayal of principals and promises by the DC gang is it going to take to get some people to STOP being the water carriers of the GOPe?
Tax cuts are now a betrayal of conservatives.  I am glad I am not conservative. 

Offline musiclady

« Reply #52 on: December 18, 2015, 02:21:17 pm »
I find myself hesitant to praise your eminently logical posts like this one.  I fear my flippant humor and self surrender to reality will somehow taint your comments. It is sad because you make too much sense for some, but I recognize in you, the reasons why I used to call myself conservative.   Your posts bring me back to a day when I could proudly call myself a conservative.  When that meant more than a dismissal of both parties as evil, or the lessor of 2 evils.  Today I say I am a pro-life, pro-gun, pro-business, pro-God, pro-taxcut, pro-military Republican...I have no idea what a conservative is in the age of pro PP, pro gun restriction, pro-emanate domain, pro-bankruptcy, pro-tax, pro-soldiers who don't get captured Trump.  I am so filled with rage and disgust that this f*cker is representing MY party...a party that his fans callously reject, that I sometimes see good and honorable people like DC and AlignCare as my enemy, while Obama, and Hitlery laugh.  I guess I wouldn't believe in anything if it wasn't for my Lucky Astrology Mood Watch (thanx Steve)

Seriously, I am so glad you take the time to be heard and understood...against the slings and barbs of those who would see you as a 1 issue voter.  I may not call myself conservative today,  but in my heart, and in the heart of liberal Madison, WI...I am.

I proudly accept your compliment, Once-ler, and am humbled by it at the same time.

I understand your angst about being called a conservative, seeing what's going on among some conservatives these days (I call many of them "pseudo-cons").  I used to think that liberals base their ideology on feelings (they do), but that conservatives based our ideology on rational thought.

That, obviously, is no longer true.  I've seen the Trump phenomenon explained a zillion times, but it always comes down to one thing..... we're angry.  Well I'm angry too, but I refuse to make emotion the basis of any decision I make.......... especially when that decision is to vote for someone who doesn't share a single conservative value.   

And in addition, what I see from many so-called conservatives is a deeper hatred for Republicans than for Marxists.

What sense does THAT make in a rational world?   I would think that they tacitly agreed with Hillary Clinton when she said her greatest enemy was the Republican party.   They hate it as much as she does, and hate Republicans viscerally, and if some posts on this (or any) board are what people really think (and not just what they say to be noticed), then they hate the GOP more than they hate Hillary herself.

I think that's why so many Trump devotees jump on anyone who calls out who he really is as a "hater."  They are projecting their own emotional attachment to this mirage - a reflection of anger, not thought - on those of us who are thinking beyond the moment.

Not to say that I'm not angry at the Republican party.  I am.  I'm among those who feel deeply betrayed by the people we've sent to DC to represent us.   But I'm not about to support a Progressive because I'm angry that the Republican party for being too liberal.

If Trump wins the nomination, I'm going to have to give serious thought as to whether or not I can even vote for him.  And that's never happened to me in my life.   These are dangerous days, my friend.

Thanks again for your kind words............... and hang in there.    :patriot:
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Relic

« Reply #53 on: December 18, 2015, 02:34:51 pm »

As long as there is a tax cut, there is no concern about level of spending or what is funded?

Yep, you're not a conservative.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #54 on: December 18, 2015, 02:43:28 pm »
As long as there is a tax cut, there is no concern about level of spending or what is funded?

Especially when the said "cuts" are, in reality no such thing! They are just minor reductions in the rate of growth to anyone who actually speaks English!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline GAJohnnie

« Reply #55 on: December 18, 2015, 02:45:16 pm »
Especially when the said "cuts" are, in reality no such thing! They are just minor reductions in the rate of growth to anyone who actually speaks English!

Classic GOPe Liberal. ""Sure spend all you want, just make sure I don't have to pay anything for any of it."

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #56 on: December 18, 2015, 02:51:59 pm »

What tax cuts? I not seeing any cuts! All I see are some slight reductions in the rate of growth tagged cuts in the language of the beltway bastards!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

« Reply #57 on: December 19, 2015, 02:32:33 am »
What tax cuts? I not seeing any cuts! All I see are some slight reductions in the rate of growth tagged cuts in the language of the beltway bastards!
$629 Billion.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #58 on: December 19, 2015, 02:42:05 am »
I proudly accept your compliment, Once-ler, and am humbled by it at the same time.

I understand your angst about being called a conservative, seeing what's going on among some conservatives these days (I call many of them "pseudo-cons").  I used to think that liberals base their ideology on feelings (they do), but that conservatives based our ideology on rational thought.

That, obviously, is no longer true.  I've seen the Trump phenomenon explained a zillion times, but it always comes down to one thing..... we're angry.  Well I'm angry too, but I refuse to make emotion the basis of any decision I make.......... especially when that decision is to vote for someone who doesn't share a single conservative value.   

And in addition, what I see from many so-called conservatives is a deeper hatred for Republicans than for Marxists.

What sense does THAT make in a rational world?   I would think that they tacitly agreed with Hillary Clinton when she said her greatest enemy was the Republican party.   They hate it as much as she does, and hate Republicans viscerally, and if some posts on this (or any) board are what people really think (and not just what they say to be noticed), then they hate the GOP more than they hate Hillary herself.

I think that's why so many Trump devotees jump on anyone who calls out who he really is as a "hater."  They are projecting their own emotional attachment to this mirage - a reflection of anger, not thought - on those of us who are thinking beyond the moment.

Not to say that I'm not angry at the Republican party.  I am.  I'm among those who feel deeply betrayed by the people we've sent to DC to represent us.   But I'm not about to support a Progressive because I'm angry that the Republican party for being too liberal.

If Trump wins the nomination, I'm going to have to give serious thought as to whether or not I can even vote for him.  And that's never happened to me in my life.   These are dangerous days, my friend.

Thanks again for your kind words............... and hang in there.    :patriot:

I'm sure this will be the kiss of death for you, but this is one of the most cogent pieces I've ever read here.  You're so aware, musiclady. 

I'm so glad you're on this forum.  I know you can't identify too closely with me, but I'm identifying with you in your thoughts and words.

Kudos to you for this.  Stay strong and courageous.  There are more who support you than you may know.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #59 on: December 19, 2015, 02:45:46 am »
We were better off when Congress was divided and the sequestrations ruled the day...

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
« Reply #60 on: December 19, 2015, 02:50:27 am »
We were better off when Congress was divided and the sequestrations ruled the day...

We were in exactly the same place we are now when the Democrats had both houses and the presidency.  No difference.
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #61 on: December 19, 2015, 02:54:32 am »
We were in exactly the same place we are now when the Democrats had both houses and the presidency.  No difference.

Deficit was twice what it is today.
Tax cuts for most Americans were preserved.
Obamacare risk corridors have been shut off

That's a big difference.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
« Reply #62 on: December 19, 2015, 03:10:23 am »
Deficit was twice what it is today.
Tax cuts for most Americans were preserved.
Obamacare risk corridors have been shut off

That's a big difference.

The deficit in 2008 was almost exactly what it is today, and less than it will be after the most recent omnibus act. It spiked from TARP in 2009. And Obamacare got pushed back two years. The GOP will do nothing, absolutely nothing, to stop it.  What we are left with are tax cuts being made permanent.
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

« Reply #63 on: December 19, 2015, 04:00:53 am »

Why do conservatives hold Reagan as the finest President if spending and deficits are the end all and be all of conservatism?

I don't really care much about the spending.  It is a concern much like the 2nd Amendment and religious liberty, but I focus on 3 issues above the rest
1. Tax cuts
2. A strong military
3. Pro-life

That is why I'm a RINO...no different than a rat, and probably worse.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #64 on: December 19, 2015, 03:49:20 pm »
I'm sure this will be the kiss of death for you, but this is one of the most cogent pieces I've ever read here.  You're so aware, musiclady. 

I'm so glad you're on this forum.  I know you can't identify too closely with me, but I'm identifying with you in your thoughts and words.

Kudos to you for this.  Stay strong and courageous.  There are more who support you than you may know.

Thank you so much, sinkspur. 

And don't worry.  I've already been kissed by death by some around here.  Not only as a hater in some sort of 'cabal' or anti-Trump conspiracy, and a liar (2 or 3 times in the last day or so), but as one who, if I don't agree with denying every Muslim in the world entrance into the United States, doesn't care if thousands of Americans get killed in terrorist attacks here in America.

It's a strange world we are in when differences of opinion among fellow conservatives are vilified as coming from 'haters' in cahoots with the enemy.

I don't like it very much........

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline musiclady

« Reply #65 on: December 19, 2015, 03:50:24 pm »
Why do conservatives hold Reagan as the finest President if spending and deficits are the end all and be all of conservatism?

I don't really care much about the spending.  It is a concern much like the 2nd Amendment and religious liberty, but I focus on 3 issues above the rest
1. Tax cuts
2. A strong military
3. Pro-life

In the eyes of a few around here, you are definitely worse.

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #66 on: December 19, 2015, 03:59:04 pm »

1. Tax cuts
2. A strong military
3. Pro-life

I am not so concerned with the spending levels per say, but what we spend the money on is what drives me nuts.
If we were "buying" tangibles it would be one thing, but we are not.  We are paying farmers not to farm, workers not to work, businesses not to create and educational institutions not to teach.