Author Topic: Why the Secret Service is such a mess  (Read 915 times)

Offline mountaineer

Why the Secret Service is such a mess
« on: December 04, 2015, 12:12:25 pm »
Secret Service agents can’t stop thinking about their sex lives
By Marisa Schultz
December 4, 2015 | 2:11am
New York Post
WASHINGTON — A scathing new congressional report on the Secret Service found that agents assigned to protect the president in New York were preoccupied with their sex lives.

One “egregious example” was a special agent in the New York field office who had a crush on a woman in 2013 and used his access to sensitive information to stalk her across the country.

When she rejected him, he tracked her down and appeared at her home in California to ask her out again. She called the local cops.

The report from the House Oversight Committee also found 143 instances where intruders entered secure spaces over the last 10 years, including White House fence jumpers and unauthorized people getting close to the president.

The report concluded that the Secret Service is “an agency in crisis.”
Related stories of USSS misbehavior at above link.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline mountaineer

Re: Secret Service agents can’t stop thinking about their sex lives
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2015, 12:00:33 pm »
By Dan Bongino
December 9, 2015 | 8:26pm
New York Post
Because we’ve always done it that way.”

During my 12-year tenure as a special agent with the US Secret Service, I heard those words all too often. The agency, in my experience, has an entrenched management culture resistant to change.

And it’s an agency in crisis.

As a proud former Secret Service agent, it’s tough to stand by and watch the agency struggle. But many of its problems are chronic and have only surfaced recently because they’re manifesting themselves through the intense media spotlight generated by some of the agency’s recent high-profile lapses.

I joined the Secret Service in June 1999 as a special agent and vividly remember an agency brimming with pride. The agency was part of the Treasury Department back then, and the best moment of my day was when someone would ask me, “What do you do for a living?”

However, after the 2003 transfer from Treasury to the Department of Homeland Security, the Secret Service’s chronic problems began to grow in severity, and new problems began to emerge.

First, the Secret Service’s management culture has a strong bias toward the status quo.

The mission of the Secret Service (to keep the president of the United States safe and secure) is, by its very nature, pivotal to the proper functioning of the country, and any failure to accomplish this mission has the potential to cause an immediate international crisis.

In my estimation, it’s the gravity of this mission that feeds the stubborn, risk-averse management culture of the Secret Service.

Put yourself in a Secret Service manager’s shoes for a moment, and you can begin to understand the mentality. If a physical protection strategy, piece of security equipment or weapons system currently in use hasn’t been implicated in a security breach, but is clearly deficient, then there’s no incentive to risk your Secret Service management career by changing it.

Attaching one’s name to an untested, new path forward, even if its superiority appears evident, is dangerous to a Secret Service manager’s career because if something goes wrong with it, that manager is going to suffer the consequences.

Using the old, subpar technology or piece of equipment which has yet to fail (despite its clear deficiencies) allows the current manager to blame someone else for the failure of that technology because “that’s the way we’ve always done it.”

The debacle with the subpar White House fence is a clear example of this chronic risk-aversion problem in action. Long before infamous White House fence-jumper Omar Gonzalez scaled the fence on the White House North Grounds last year and made his way into the East Room of the White House, the fence’s security deficiencies were well-known.

I recall having a conversation in 1999, just weeks into my new career, with a Secret Service Uniformed Division officer who had transferred to the agent position, and was assigned to my recruit training class, about how easy it was to scale the White House fence and the many security problems it presented. Yet nothing was done to improve its security until the public pressure from the embarrassing fence-jumper incident forced management to add strategically placed spikes to the fence.

Second, after the Secret Service’s transfer to Homeland Security, I noticed this risk-averse culture work its way into the agency’s human-resources decision-making. The new, layered DHS bureaucracy forced the Secret Service into unfamiliar bureaucratic territory, making it a small fish in an enormous pond, in sharp contrast to its historical role as a big fish in the small Treasury pond.

The bureaucratic pressure from the top of this new DHS bureaucracy to prioritize, at nearly any expense, the use of a rewards system for managers to meet hiring quotas based on the DHS’s definition of “diversity,” rather than an agent candidate’s ability to keep the president safe, unquestionably put the president’s life at risk.

None of these issues are unique to the Secret Service and, in working with personnel from numerous government agencies during my time as an agent, the risk-aversion problem in particular is ubiquitous. The problem here is that the penalties for failure within the Secret Service are severe, and acute, compared to the penalties for failure within agencies such as the Department of Commerce.

As a quote attributed to an IRA bomber accurately states, “You have to be lucky every day; we have to be lucky once.” The Secret Service’s luck has run out.

Offline EdinVA

Re: Secret Service agents can’t stop thinking about their sex lives
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2015, 12:42:44 pm »
In my estimation, it’s the gravity of this mission that feeds the stubborn, risk-averse management culture of the Secret Service

I think our entire society, governments, businesses and individuals, have given up on the American Dream because of the risk-averse disease that has swallowed our nation, this is not just limited to the Secret Service.  Primarily because ANY slip and the media belittles, demeans and criminalizes any perceived failure which destroys careers, stock values and looses elections.

Our society now demands that no organization or individual have any battle scars consequently, we have organizational leaders and politicians who have never done anything because if a person/organization takes any risk and stumbles, they now become reckless and selfish....

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2015, 01:12:01 pm »
http://nypost.com/2015/12/09/why-the-secret-service-is-such-a-mess/

By Dan Bongino

December 9, 2015 | 8:26pm

Because we’ve always done it that way.”

During my 12-year tenure as a special agent with the US Secret Service, I heard those words all too often. The agency, in my experience, has an entrenched management culture resistant to change.

And it’s an agency in crisis.

As a proud former Secret Service agent, it’s tough to stand by and watch the agency struggle. But many of its problems are chronic and have only surfaced recently because they’re manifesting themselves through the intense media spotlight generated by some of the agency’s recent high-profile lapses.

I joined the Secret Service in June 1999 as a special agent and vividly remember an agency brimming with pride. The agency was part of the Treasury Department back then, and the best moment of my day was when someone would ask me, “What do you do for a living?”

However, after the 2003 transfer from Treasury to the Department of Homeland Security, the Secret Service’s chronic problems began to grow in severity, and new problems began to emerge.

First, the Secret Service’s management culture has a strong bias toward the status quo.

The mission of the Secret Service (to keep the president of the United States safe and secure) is, by its very nature, pivotal to the proper functioning of the country, and any failure to accomplish this mission has the potential to cause an immediate international crisis.

In my estimation, it’s the gravity of this mission that feeds the stubborn, risk-averse management culture of the Secret Service.

Put yourself in a Secret Service manager’s shoes for a moment, and you can begin to understand the mentality. If a physical protection strategy, piece of security equipment or weapons system currently in use hasn’t been implicated in a security breach, but is clearly deficient, then there’s no incentive to risk your Secret Service management career by changing it.

Attaching one’s name to an untested, new path forward, even if its superiority appears evident, is dangerous to a Secret Service manager’s career because if something goes wrong with it, that manager is going to suffer the consequences.

Using the old, subpar technology or piece of equipment which has yet to fail (despite its clear deficiencies) allows the current manager to blame someone else for the failure of that technology because “that’s the way we’ve always done it.”

The debacle with the subpar White House fence is a clear example of this chronic risk-aversion problem in action. Long before infamous White House fence-jumper Omar Gonzalez scaled the fence on the White House North Grounds last year and made his way into the East Room of the White House, the fence’s security deficiencies were well-known.

I recall having a conversation in 1999, just weeks into my new career, with a Secret Service Uniformed Division officer who had transferred to the agent position, and was assigned to my recruit training class, about how easy it was to scale the White House fence and the many security problems it presented. Yet nothing was done to improve its security until the public pressure from the embarrassing fence-jumper incident forced management to add strategically placed spikes to the fence.

Second, after the Secret Service’s transfer to Homeland Security, I noticed this risk-averse culture work its way into the agency’s human-resources decision-making. The new, layered DHS bureaucracy forced the Secret Service into unfamiliar bureaucratic territory, making it a small fish in an enormous pond, in sharp contrast to its historical role as a big fish in the small Treasury pond.

The bureaucratic pressure from the top of this new DHS bureaucracy to prioritize, at nearly any expense, the use of a rewards system for managers to meet hiring quotas based on the DHS’s definition of “diversity,” rather than an agent candidate’s ability to keep the president safe, unquestionably put the president’s life at risk.

None of these issues are unique to the Secret Service and, in working with personnel from numerous government agencies during my time as an agent, the risk-aversion problem in particular is ubiquitous. The problem here is that the penalties for failure within the Secret Service are severe, and acute, compared to the penalties for failure within agencies such as the Department of Commerce.

As a quote attributed to an IRA bomber accurately states, “You have to be lucky every day; we have to be lucky once.” The Secret Service’s luck has run out.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: Why the Secret Service is such a mess
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2015, 02:56:12 am »
I sense that the S.S. has become "a mess" in the same way that the rest of the DCGov's agencies have...

... total corruption from this administration.

"Trickle-down incompetence!"

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2015, 03:51:02 am »
"Because we’ve always done it that way.”

There is no phrase in the English language I hate more than those seven words! They are, IMHO,  the source of most of what ails civilized society on this planet!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2015, 08:28:04 pm »
More scandal.

Suspended Uniformed Division Secret Service Officer Shot and Killed
    By Jack Date
Dec 16, 2015, 11:56 AM ET
ABC News

Suspended Secret Service Uniformed Division Officer Arthur Baldwin was shot and killed in the District of Columbia Tuesday afternoon. The DC Metropolitan Police Department is investigating the incident.

“The Secret Service is aware of this information. We express our condolences to the family of our employee," according to a statement by the Secret Service. "Any inquiries regarding the investigation of this homicide should be directed to Washington Metropolitan Police Department.”

Baldwin was put on suspended status after he was arrested and charged with first degree attempted burglary and destruction of property last April. In that incident, police officers responded to a call that a burglary was taking place in a home in Southeast DC. Officers at the scene found the front door kicked in with the hinges broken, according to court documents. A woman whom police said was “observed crying, shaking and appeared to be in fear of her life" told police that her "ex-boyfriend won’t leave me alone.”

The woman became uncooperative under questioning by police and allegedly said, “I don’t want him to lose his job, he is a police officer," according to court filings.

Baldwin then pulled up to the scene in his truck and allegedly said to the officers, “I am a police officer, can I talk to her?” Police asked him where his service weapon was and he pointed to his vehicle where they recovered a loaded Sig-Saur hand gun, according to court filings.

Police asked Baldwin if he kicked the door. Baldwin allegedly told police, “I kicked the door but did not break the windows.” Baldwin was placed under arrest and Secret Service Director Joseph Clancy ordered his security clearance suspended and placed Baldwin on administrative leave.

Baldwin appeared in DC Superior Court Tuesday for a status hearing just hours before he was killed.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2015, 08:31:14 pm »
The reason the current Secret Service is a mess?

Because all the replacements were hired based upon ONE sole criteria....their blind loyalty to Barack Hussein Obama.

...same with the military and FBI, CIA and DOJ.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2015, 08:41:42 pm »
The reason the current Secret Service is a mess?

Because all the replacements were hired based upon ONE sole criteria....their blind loyalty to Barack Hussein Obama.

...same with the military and FBI, CIA and DOJ.

There is a concept called 'Tone at the Top' where top management sets the behavioral standard for the whole organization.

It is painfully visible throughout the entire Obama administration...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2015, 10:01:39 pm »
There is a concept called 'Tone at the Top' where top management sets the behavioral standard for the whole organization.

It is painfully visible throughout the entire Obama administration...

Agonizingly painful.

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!