Author Topic: Focus Group of Trump Supporters Is Undeterred and Fiercely Loyal  (Read 3048 times)

Offline andy58-in-nh

Re: Focus Group of Trump Supporters Is Undeterred and Fiercely Loyal
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2015, 06:07:28 pm »
As a student of history, when I see the words "undeterred and fiercely loyal" associated with the supporters of a political candidate, I don't think of someone like Ronald Reagan. I think of someone like Huey Long.

Sure you did. Which is why you seem to share the standard GOPe notion, as opposed to Reagan's vision, that the best was to inspire people to support your views is to insult them.

Shoe, meet foot.  People who can't see the difference between a statesman and a carnival barker are going to have a rough go of it in life.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline GAJohnnie

« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2015, 06:11:37 pm »
I think Trump's strength is he speaks his mind. This is viewed as a fault the political class.

The political class has been so manipulated and managed by a Leftist media machine for decades that they are brainwashed to run everything thru the standard PC filter before they speak. The average politician is so busy trying to figure out what the "right" thing to say is they end up sounding weak and doltish. Trump just says what is on his mind. I think a lot of Trump support comes from the novelty of having a political leader speak honestly and openly. To the Political class, this too is error. To them the "correct" way is their way of measure platitudes, empty slogans and balanced, passionless "tone" . Their reaction to hearing Trump is to cringe in dismay at his "incorrect" behavior.

It is interesting to note that Trump is being reacted to much the same way the DC Political class reacted to Rush Limbaugh when he started out. His "tone" was all wrong, his ideas "nutty".

I cringe every time I hear Trump speak too. 35 years of political conditioning causes in me a physical reaction to the "incorrect" tone and style he uses. But if you work past that conditioning, the fundamental points Trump is making are sound.

We MUST, for the survival of our country, move past the "business as usual" political mindset and start fundamentally questioning all our knee jerk assumptions and conditioning. We must start asking "why are we doing this" "is this the right answer"?

The DC Political/media machine reaction to Trumps comments this week indicate that they are fundamentally incapable of thinking outside their PC mindset. Their arguments about "Freedom of Religion" and "Constitutionality" indicates both a pretty shocking ignorance and an inability to think beyond their PC conditioning and look for real solutions.

The Political Establishment is so busy having fits about Trumps "tone" they are missing the message his wide spread, growing support is sending them.

There must be deep, far reaching, fundamental change in the political class defiantly corrupt, inept, incompetent "Business as usual" performance.

IF the Political Class will not fix the problem, the voters will be sending people to DC who can do that for them.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2015, 06:11:51 pm »
On this thread, is not post #15 the first personal shot?

Post #5.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Mod1

Offline GAJohnnie

« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2015, 06:18:26 pm »

Nope that would be number 2. That the person refrains from directing it at any one person doesn't change the fact  this statemnt  is an insult pretending to be a "thoughtful" comment.

They were a group filled with emotion.

The basest human instinct.

Offline Mod1

« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2015, 06:20:38 pm »
Nope that would be number 2. That the person refrains from directing it at any one person doesn't change the fact  this statemnt  is an insult pretending to be a "thoughtful" comment.

Nonsense

Offline GAJohnnie

« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2015, 06:23:58 pm »
As a student of history, when I see the words "undeterred and fiercely loyal" associated with the supporters of a political candidate, I don't think of someone like Ronald Reagan. I think of someone like Huey Long.

Leaders create inspiration. Demagogues create perspiration.

Just a thought.

And there there is this which is another insult pretending to be "thoughtful' comments. Not any reasoned substance being add to the topic by this, merely an effort to demean and degrade anyone who does not share the posters viewpoint.

Offline Mod1

« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2015, 06:27:57 pm »

Just a thought.

And there there is this which is another insult pretending to be "thoughtful' comments. Not any reasoned substance being add to the topic by this, merely an effort to demean and degrade anyone who does not share the posters viewpoint.

No

Offline aligncare

« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2015, 06:32:01 pm »

Just a thought.

Good point. We're also getting comparisons of Trump to Hitler. Which implies if that if you support Trump then you must be a brown shirt Nazi. Sounds like an insult to me.

Offline Mod1

« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2015, 06:39:32 pm »
Good point. We're also getting comparisons of Trump to Hitler. Which implies if that if you support Trump then you must be a brown shirt Nazi. Sounds like an insult to me.

No, doesn't fly on this thread.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 06:40:57 pm by Mod1 »

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2015, 06:56:50 pm »

Utterly off the mark, and way out of bounds.

NO ONE here is accusing Trump or his supporters of being Brown Shirts. Hitler was a monster. Trump is just a game show wheeler-dealer with bad hair and a big mouth.

Speaking only for myself, I am suggesting that Trump's supporters appear largely unmoved by their man's penchant for brute insult in lieu of argument, gaseous over-generalizations in place of policy specifics and emotive language instead of reasoned thought.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline aligncare

« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2015, 07:21:43 pm »
Utterly off the mark, and way out of bounds.

NO ONE here is accusing Trump or his supporters of being Brown Shirts. Hitler was a monster. Trump is just a game show wheeler-dealer with bad hair and a big mouth.

Speaking only for myself, I am suggesting that Trump's supporters appear largely unmoved by their man's penchant for brute insult in lieu of argument, gaseous over-generalizations in place of policy specifics and emotive language instead of reasoned thought.

What is off the mark? That I heard someone compare Trump to Hitler? It's all over the news. It happened. It happened on the steps of New York City's City Hall. Trump was compared to Hitler.

So I was merely illustrating that if someone makes a comparison, such as Trump to Hitler (or Huey Long, an assassinated Louisiana politician with a shady history) you are deliberately trying to insult his supporters through a slanderous comparison.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2015, 07:24:12 pm »
Oh the drama and entertainment of all of this, day in and day out.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2015, 07:31:24 pm »
What is off the mark? That I heard someone compare Trump to Hitler? It's all over the news. It happened. It happened on the steps of New York City's City Hall. Trump was compared to Hitler.

So I was merely illustrating that if someone makes a comparison, such as Trump to Hitler (or Huey Long, an assassinated Louisiana politician with a shady history) you are deliberately trying to insult his supporters through a slanderous comparison.

1. Given enough time, every Republican will be compared with Hitler. That's what liberals do, because they have no arguments. So what? 

2. My point about the Kingfish was that his supporters didn't care that he was a crook, or that he routinely promised favors without the means or intentions of delivering them. "Every man a king!". "It's gonna be great!". What's the difference, really?

Offline GAJohnnie

« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2015, 07:55:11 pm »
No, doesn't fly on this thread.

I will have to disagree. I  think discussion that straight forward, honest and not tainted with fake polite hypocrisies of the veiled insult are much more productive.

-
-
-
-
-

So still ok with the above sorts of rhetorical tactics being used here on this thread?

Offline Mod1

« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2015, 08:02:03 pm »
Discussion is fine. Insults and hyperole - not so much.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #41 on: December 10, 2015, 08:29:38 pm »

I saw it. Thousands and thousands of people were on the steps of New York city hall with fake black moustaches and swastika arm bands.  And I've gotten hundreds of emails from other people who saw it too.

Offline Mod1

« Reply #42 on: December 10, 2015, 08:43:54 pm »
I saw it. Thousands and thousands of people were on the steps of New York city hall with fake black moustaches and swastika arm bands.  And I've gotten hundreds of emails from other people who saw it too.

STOP the provocation. Others have been admonished. Certainly you have seen it.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #43 on: December 10, 2015, 09:02:12 pm »

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2015/12/09/donald-trump-muslims-opposition/

Scroll all the way down.

The city Council Speaker compared Donald Trump to Hitler. It's not reported in this piece, but her comment was caught on radio which was played on WOR this morning.

In Atlanta, someone painted large swastikas featuring Trump’s face with a Hitler mustache on at least two overpass supports. The graffiti was being removed by police, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #44 on: December 10, 2015, 09:09:09 pm »
http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2015/12/09/donald-trump-muslims-opposition/

Scroll all the way down.

The city Council Speaker compared Donald Trump to Hitler. It's not reported in this piece, but her comment was caught on radio which was played on WOR this morning.

In Atlanta, someone painted large swastikas featuring Trump’s face with a Hitler mustache on at least two overpass supports. The graffiti was being removed by police, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported.

The irony is completely lost................

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #45 on: December 10, 2015, 09:10:51 pm »

What is this line of questioning about?  Is it a joke?  Is it a slow news day?

geronl

« Reply #46 on: December 11, 2015, 12:06:10 am »
Trump supporters are a Fact-Free Bunch

Offline Mod1

« Reply #47 on: December 11, 2015, 12:23:53 am »
Trump supporters are a Fact-Free Bunch
Please stop this line of provocation. Good people here support him. Good people here do not. Discuss issues.

geronl

« Reply #48 on: December 11, 2015, 12:33:33 am »
Trump is a lifelong liberal. Trump is a supporter of Hillary.

These are facts.

There is nothing about Trump that a real conservative could support, nothing.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #49 on: December 11, 2015, 12:45:30 am »
Trump is a lifelong liberal. Trump is a supporter of Hillary.

These are facts.

There is nothing about Trump that a real conservative could support, nothing.

And that there is a better way to go about making your point. Although, you could still use some work--you see, I consider myself a conservative/libertarian. Is that okay with you?

Insulting people you don't know because of their choice in a candidate is considered tacky around here. Argue facts. But, a graceful taunt can add a bit of whimsy to a post, that's fine.