Author Topic: Cruz Skips ISIS Hearing for Fox News Appearance, NY Fundraiser  (Read 631 times)

Offline sinkspur

Cruz Skips ISIS Hearing for Fox News Appearance, NY Fundraiser
« on: December 09, 2015, 05:28:04 pm »
Cruz Skips ISIS Hearing for Fox News Appearance, NY Fundraiser

by ELAINA PLOTT   

December 9, 2015 12:12 PM

Texas senator Ted Cruz skipped Wednesday’s Armed Services Committee hearing on the American strategy to counter the Islamic State. Instead, he was making an appearance on Fox News and then set to attend a fundraiser in New York City. Cruz was the only committee Republican not to attend, the committee’s office confirmed.

Cruz watched a portion of the hearing from a split screen while appearing on America’s Newsroom with Bill Hemmer in Manhattan. He told Hemmer he was “working to lead on defending this nation against ISIS, on standing up [to] radical Islamic terrorism.” His next event today, a fundraising luncheon in Manhattan hosted by several supporters, including the president of a cluster of super PACs backing his candidacy, Kellyanne Conway, and a managing partner of Goldman Sachs, is slated to begin at 12:30 p.m., according to an invitation obtained by National Review.

Testifying in the hearing, taking place now on Capitol Hill, are Secretary of Defense Ash Carter and General Paul J. Selva. Earlier this morning, Carter lambasted the committee’s Republicans for attempting to block the State Department’s defense appointees, including their nominee for undersecretary of the Army. Cruz has been criticized as a prime driver of this delay, after he announced this summer that he would place holds on all State Department nominees in protest of the administration’s nuclear deal with Iran.

During the 2014 cycle, former North Carolina senator Kay Hagan, who was at the time a member of the Armed Services Committee, came under fire for missing a hearing on the rise of the Islamic State to attend a New York City fundraiser. She went on to lose badly in her reelection bid that year.

A spokesman for the Cruz campaign did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/article/428260/ted-cruz-skips-isis-hearing-fox-news-ny-fundraiser
« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 05:28:20 pm by sinkspur »
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline sinkspur

Re: Cruz Skips ISIS Hearing for Fox News Appearance, NY Fundraiser
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2015, 05:29:00 pm »
Wasn't Cruz whining about Rubio missing hearings?

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2015, 05:37:27 pm »

No, Votes.....

Everything is in the record and he can catch up when he gets back in town.
Besides, congress is not going to do anything about the obama administration so what is the point of the hearings?

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2015, 05:40:15 pm »
This was not the best choice of a meeting to miss (even though listening to Carter requires one Helluva lot of caffeine).  I'm certain Fox would have been happy to make room to get him on tape whenever he could make it.
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2015, 05:43:20 pm »
This was not the best choice of a meeting to miss (even though listening to Carter requires one Helluva lot of caffeine).  I'm certain Fox would have been happy to make room to get him on tape whenever he could make it.

No, and you can bet he's going to see this in an ad..................

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2015, 05:51:03 pm »

Amnesty boy can't even be bothered to do his job! How about when he gets his act together you can whine about the other candidates.

Exposed for the con artist you are - attacking every other candidate to make your look good.
The Republic is lost.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2015, 05:53:43 pm »
Amnesty boy can't even be bothered to do his job! How about when he gets his act together you can whine about the other candidates.

Exposed for the con artist you are - attacking every other candidate to make your look good.

And you don't do that?  LOL!!

It's no secret here that I like Rubio, so I'm going to post articles that make Cruz and Trump look like the self-aggrandizers they are.

Con artist?  What a silly analogy.  You don't even know what words mean.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2015, 06:12:08 pm »

It's no secret here that I like Rubio, so I'm going to post articles that make Cruz and Trump look like the self-aggrandizers they are.

What candidates have I attacked, other than Jeb? More from the lying scam artist who think we're all Earnest T. Bass clowns.

You literally are so deranged you can't even keep it all straight anymore with cogent sentences. Just spewing to spew.
The Republic is lost.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2015, 06:17:27 pm »
What candidates have I attacked, other than Jeb? More from the lying scam artist who think we're all Earnest T. Bass clowns.

You literally are so deranged you can't even keep it all straight anymore with cogent sentences. Just spewing to spew.

Takes one spewer to know one.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2015, 06:20:15 pm »

Fool, don't you know you must either praise Cruz or Trump here...
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2015, 06:26:50 pm »

Why would this be a bad meeting to miss?

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2015, 06:28:27 pm »
Fool, don't you know you must either praise Cruz or Trump here...

You're sounding like Sinkspur there.  You don't have to praise either one.  Just be honest and factual, and don't unnecessarily denigrate other posters. 

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2015, 06:34:08 pm »

Simply the optics of missing it...I am certain Rubio will point to it with an "and you didn't even bother to attend..." line at the debate.  Missing it was not necessary, an unforced error, if you will.  Does it amount to a whole lot...no, but just a bad idea in the current environment and a missed opportunity to ask pointed questions in a formal setting - he could have made headlines and pushed the discussion.  From a strategy standpoint, I would have advised him to attend and make some waves with pointed questions to the Obama Administration members that were testifying - pick an argument with them. 
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2015, 07:04:39 pm »
Simply the optics of missing it...I am certain Rubio will point to it with an "and you didn't even bother to attend..." line at the debate.  Missing it was not necessary, an unforced error, if you will.  Does it amount to a whole lot...no, but just a bad idea in the current environment and a missed opportunity to ask pointed questions in a formal setting - he could have made headlines and pushed the discussion.  From a strategy standpoint, I would have advised him to attend and make some waves with pointed questions to the Obama Administration members that were testifying - pick an argument with them.

That makes sense.

Offline famousdayandyear

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2015, 07:08:44 pm »

I tried to watch the hearing on CSPAN.  After about 5 minutes of listening to Ash Carter string together nebulous, rambling academic-speak, I turned it off.  Some poor Marine officer sitting behind the secdef was doing all he could to keep a straight face.

Three cans of Red Bull would not be near enough.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2015, 07:09:44 pm »

And that would be the kind of tactic I'd expect a lying scumbag like Rubio to use. The guy doesn't show up for votes already, he can't even do his job. Will he get too bored to be President and stop showing up too like the Deadbeat in Chief we have now?
The Republic is lost.