Author Topic: Poll: 68% of Trump’s supporters would vote for him if he bolts the GOP  (Read 6258 times)

Offline sinkspur

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/elections/2015/12/08/poll-trump-cruz-rubio-clinton-sanders/76948760/

Poll: 68% of Trump’s supporters would vote for him if he bolts the GOP

Susan Page, USA TODAY 2:46 p.m. EST

December 8, 2015

WASHINGTON — Donald Trump not only continues to lead the Republican presidential field in a new USA TODAY/Suffolk University Poll. The overwhelming majority of his supporters also say they would vote for him if he bolted the GOP and ran as an independent.

The nationwide survey, taken Wednesday through Sunday, finds a trio of Republican candidates who show emerging national strength — Trump, Texas Sen. Ted Cruz and Florida Sen. Marco Rubio — as other once-serious contenders struggle for traction.

And in a chilling sign for Republicans, 68% of Trump's supporters say they would vote for the blustery billionaire businessman if he ran as an independent rather than a Republican; just 18% say they wouldn't. The rest were undecided.

Among Democrats, former secretary of State Hillary Clinton has widened her lead over Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders to nearly 2-1, 56%-29%.

The poll of 1,000 likely voters was taken before the latest Trump firestorm, this time over his statement Monday calling for a "complete and total shutdown" on all Muslims entering the United States until concerns about terrorism can be addressed. In TV interviews Tuesday morning, he refused to back down in the face of criticism not only by Democrats but also some leading Republicans.

He likened his actions to those taken by President Franklin Roosevelt during World War II against Japanese Americans and others. "If you look at what he was doing, it was far worse," he said on MSNBC.

The survey findings come less than two months before the Iowa caucuses on Feb. 1 start a cascade of contests designed to choose the parties' nominees. What seems likely to follow in the general election, at least at the moment, is a margin-of-error contest in which neither party starts off with a commanding advantage. In hypothetical head-to-heads, Clinton leads Trump by 4 percentage points, Cruz by 2 and Ben Carson by 1. Rubio leads Clinton by 3 points.

Those results show how firmly polarized the electorate already seems to be. Clinton's support ranges in a narrow band, from 45% to 48%. Support for her prospective Republican opponents ranges from 44% for Trump to 48% for Rubio. Only 7% or 8% of voters describe themselves as undecided.

All the leads are within the survey's margin of error of plus or minus 3 points.

Both front-runners have made predominantly negative impressions among voters. For Clinton, 54% have an unfavorable view of her, 39% a favorable one — putting her image "under water" by 15 points. But that deficit is dwarfed by Trump, who is viewed favorably by 30%, unfavorably by 60% — a 30-point gap that raises alarm among some Republican strategists about his electability in November.

That said, there is an almost even divide among those who have an unfavorable opinion of both Trump and Clinton: 45% say they dislike Clinton more; 42% dislike Trump more.

"Their mantra is ABCT— Anybody But Clinton or Trump," says David Paleologos, director of Suffolk's Political Research Center in Boston. More than one in five of those surveyed fall into this category. "If each is their party’s respective nominees, the poll tells us that the majority of the country does not see either candidate as acceptable, which means that the race for president may come down to which candidate voters view as the lesser of two evils."

In the Democratic contest, Clinton has strengthened her standing since the USA TODAY/Suffolk poll taken in September, when Vice President Biden was still a possible contender. She's gained 15 points since then; Sanders has gained six. Former Maryland governor Martin O'Malley, who registered no support in the September survey, has climbed to 4%.

In the Republican contest, Cruz and Rubio, now at 17% and 16%,  have surged from the single-digit support they had in the fall. Carson's support has dipped by 3 points, to 10%. Former Hewlett Packard CEO Carly Fiorina, in a freefall, has lost 12 of the 13 points she held in September. Support for former Florida governor Jeb Bush has been cut in half, to 8% from 4%.

Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul, New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie and Ohio Gov. John Kasich are each at 2%. Former Arkansas governor Mike Huckabee, former Pennsylvania senator Rick Santorum and Fiorina are at 1%.

The margin of error for the sample of 363 likely Democratic voters and 357 likely Republican voters is plus or minus 5 points.

Some of the campaigns argue they score stronger standings in states with early contests, where momentum from a victory could boost a candidate across the country. In New Hampshire, which holds the nation's first primary, the RealClearPolitics average of recent statewide polls puts Kasich at 8%, Bush at 7% and Christie at 6%.

In the new national poll's hypothetical matchups for November, Clinton leads Trump 48%-44%. She edges Cruz by 47%-45% and Carson by 46%-45%. Rubio leads Clinton 48%-45%.

Given the poll's margin of error, those results essentially reflect jump balls in the general election.

Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline sinkspur

Re: Poll: 68% of Trump’s supporters would vote for him if he bolts the GOP
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2015, 08:27:58 pm »
This, friends, is the ultimate plan and has been all along.

Screw the GOP so his pal Hillary wins the White House.

Offline Longiron

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2015, 08:36:28 pm »
Any conservative could of told anyone that. What is the NEWS?

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2015, 08:37:37 pm »

This is, after all, the whole GOP plan... they will treat Trump so badly and deny him the nomination that voters will be begging him to go 3rd Party... which he will... and Her Heinous will get elected... but that's the GOP plan... not Trump's... I think Trump loves America and Americans...

The GOP should be using Trump to tap into voter discontent, win the Presidency, keep the Congress and fix all of Bambi's crap...

But they aren't and won't... that would be anathema to the real GOP plan...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2015, 08:38:31 pm »
Any conservative could of told anyone that. What is the NEWS?

So the candidate you support is a stalking horse for Hillary.  Got it.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2015, 08:45:22 pm »

Yep.  That's the plan.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline LottieDah

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2015, 09:09:41 pm »
Yep.  That's the plan.

Stay tuned for photos of Donald Trump dancing with Hillary Clinton at her Inaugural Ball.

Offline flowers

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2015, 09:13:27 pm »

This is, after all, the whole GOP plan... they will treat Trump so badly and deny him the nomination that voters will be begging him to go 3rd Party... which he will... and Her Heinous will get elected... but that's the GOP plan... not Trump's... I think Trump loves America and Americans...

The GOP should be using Trump to tap into voter discontent, win the Presidency, keep the Congress and fix all of Bambi's crap...

That is why Jeb is still in the race. He knows the fix is in.

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2015, 09:24:50 pm »

I guess my point is not so much the individual politicians involved (like Trump, Bush, Rubio, etc), but that the GOP party leadership is so compromised and controlled that they are actually working to get Her Heinous elected...

And I have to assume that the real control goes much higher than just the 'GOP leadership' in this country...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline LottieDah

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2015, 09:26:18 pm »

Jeb may still be in it but he isn't going to win.  He'll be dancing the with Trumps at Hillary's coronation er inauguration.

Offline flowers

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2015, 09:32:33 pm »
Jeb may still be in it but he isn't going to win.  He'll be dancing the with Trumps at Hillary's coronation er inauguration.
Correct, now way he will win that is why the fix is in.

Offline Longiron

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2015, 10:46:18 pm »

Don't see how that happens if TRUMP goes 3rd party. The RINGOPe will not vote for him in if he is the Pubbie candidate anyhow! His support is NOT the RINOGOPE and his supporters will vote for him regardless od the letter behind his name. The crossover voters of DEMS, Hispanics, blacks, Asians, Independents who like myself registered R just to vote in primary and then back to independent, other independents who did not do that, grass roots is what is going to elect TRUMP not the R party.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 10:47:44 pm by Longiron »

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2015, 10:49:34 pm »
Don't see how that happens if TRUMP goes 3rd party. The RINGOPe will not vote for him in if he is the Pubbie candidate anyhow! His support is NOT the RINOGOPE and his supporters will vote for him regardless od the letter behind his name. The crossover voters of DEMS, Hispanics, blacks, Asians, Independents who like myself registered R just to vote in primary and then back to independent, other independents who did not do that, grass roots is what is going to elect TRUMP not the R party.

No 3rd party candidate has ever come close to winning and it won't happen his time either if Trump runs. People are not going to waste their vote.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 10:50:03 pm by sinkspur »

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2015, 10:58:05 pm »

It has been my fear from the beginning.  I still can't believe he would do it.  Just can't.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2015, 11:05:29 pm »
It has been my fear from the beginning.  I still can't believe he would do it.  Just can't.

Oh, I can.  Trump is about Trump.  Period.

But, if he did it, he'd whine and blame it on "they're not treating me fairly."
See nothing is EVER his fault.
Evil people are plotting against him.

Childish, narcissistic attitudes like Trump's are classic megalomania.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 11:05:52 pm by sinkspur »

Offline aligncare

« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2015, 11:10:17 pm »

That's the plan; yep, the fix is in; it's been my fear from the beginning.

So, Trump doesn't even have to hint at bolting the party and the "third-party" narrative spreads.

More sensationalism. This was a news outlet's question asked of Trump's supporters, not of Trump. Trump never said a thing.

In other words, this is a non-story, criticism looking for a controversy.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2015, 11:26:08 pm »
That's the plan; yep, the fix is in; it's been my fear from the beginning.

So, Trump doesn't even have to hint at bolting the party and the "third-party" narrative spreads.

More sensationalism. This was a news outlet's question asked of Trump's supporters, not of Trump. Trump never said a thing.

In other words, this is a non-story, criticism looking for a controversy.

Nope.  Trump fosters this uncertainty. If he didn't, the question wouldn't even be asked.

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2015, 12:11:09 am »
Look, as I said - I can't believe he'd do it but if he did, enough people would follow him like a tied goat to (almost certainly) give the election to Hillary. My hedge is that Hillary may still find herself in trouble over those blasted emails, Benghazi, and such.

Trump is clever in that everything he says and does is calculated to suck the air out the room and make the conversation about him.  It has worked well, hasn't it?.  His bombast is contrived at times just for tactical effect, in my opinion.  Can he ride that strategy to a nomination?  I still doubt it but we will see, won't we?

This is just my danged opinion... except for that tied goat thing.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2015, 12:20:28 am »
Where in this article does it say Trump is going to go third party? 

This is just BS yellow journalism trying to stir the pot.  What's more disappointing than the "journalist" is how so many are so ready to show up with their shovels and help the media achieve its goal.    **nononono*

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2015, 12:21:30 am »
Count me in!    :smokin:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2015, 12:23:00 am »

This is just BS yellow journalism trying to stir the pot.  What's more disappointing than the "journalist" is how so many are so ready to show up with their shovels and help the media achieve its goal.    **nononono*

Trump TWEETED out the results of this poll. So, if anything, Trump is doing what he can to keep that pot stirred.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2015, 12:23:19 am »

BWAAHAH!  Jeb Bush couldn't find his a$$ in a room full of mirrors.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2015, 12:28:07 am »

You want to blame somebody for the article title blame Trump. He was the one right from the start of his campaign who said he would bolt, and run third party if he is not treated fairly.   So asking the question, how many voters would follow him, is completely fair. And like it has already been said, Trump is shouting the results from the mountain top making sure every news source covers it.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 12:29:47 am by NavyCanDo »
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2015, 12:40:46 am »
You want to blame somebody for the article title blame Trump. He was the one right from the start of his campaign who said he would bolt, and run third party if he is not treated fairly.   So asking the question, how many voters would follow him, is completely fair. And like it has already been said, Trump is shouting the results from the mountain top making sure every news source covers it.

So?  Blame the GOP if he bolts.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2015, 12:41:18 am »

Trying to follow your logic ...except you are assuming that all Republicans voters that aren't GOPe voters want to vote for Trump; I don't see that happening at all.  Hypothetically, we currently have the top 3 as Trump, Cruz and Rubio.  Though I don't trust or care much for Rubio, any of the three winning over Hillary will be a relief on election day.

IF Trump runs third party; that then leaves - Trump, Hillary and Cruz or Rubio. Any way you cut it, the GOP vote gets divided which gives the presidency to Hillary.  There is a very very slim chance that neither of the candidates get enough votes and the House votes and decides.  Since the House majority basically consists of the GOPe -- will they vote for Trump over Hillary?  Don't think so.  Will they vote for Cruz over Hillary?  Don't think so.  Will they vote for Rubio over Hillary - of course.  Rubio is the best outcome for the GOP if Trump runs third party; otherwise it goes to Hillary.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 12:41:37 am by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.