Author Topic: White House plans executive action to expand background checks for gun sales  (Read 1175 times)

Offline flowers

http://www.latimes.com/nation/politics/la-na-obama-gun-order-20151203-story.html

White House officials are seeking a way to use executive authority to close the so-called gun show loophole that allows thousands of people to buy guns each year without a background check, but complicated legal issues have slowed the process.

Almost three years ago, President Obama asked Congress to change the law to require background checks for weapons sold at gun shows, but a bill to do so died in the Senate – dashing administration hopes for legislative action to address the loophole.

Efforts to use Obama's executive powers to address the issue took on added urgency in October, when a shooter at a community college in Oregon killed nine people, then shot himself.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Almost 3 years ago - didn't the Dems control the Senate then?
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline flowers

They still do............. :smokin:

Offline Relic

They still do............. :smokin:

Well played.  :beer:

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Agreed.  :beer:
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline aligncare

It's the Limbaugh theorem.

Rush notes that Obama complains about things as if he had no role or control over the very thing he says is wrong and needs fixing. And the media smiles stupidly and reports it as if he's an innocent bystander.

It really is fascinating to witness.

Offline EdinVA

Requiring background checks for weapons sold at gun shows might not have had any effect on Wednesday's shooting in San Bernardino, in which 14 people were killed.

Well, at least they are admitting this is nothing more than the progressive agenda and gun grab....

HAPPY2BME

Offline andy58-in-nh

THERE IS NO GUN SHOW LOOPHOLE.

This is about regulating the private sale of firearms between individuals, not between licensed Federal Firearms dealers and customers.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Relic

It's the Limbaugh theorem.

Rush notes that Obama complains about things as if he had no role or control over the very thing he says is wrong and needs fixing. And the media smiles stupidly and reports it as if he's an innocent bystander.

It really is fascinating to witness.

It is indeed.
I can be a bit calmer than some here, because I have already come to terms with our fate. The US is like one of the towers after the jet hit it. It's still standing, battered, but for all intents and purposes looks as though it will stand. It won't. This country is going to fall, hard. Americans think that since we are unlikely to be directly invaded by an occupying force, short of nuclear war, we're invincible. They are so wrong.

We are going to die the death of a thousand cuts. Mexicans who chose not to assimilate, and owe their allegiance to Mexico. muslims who actively hate this country, and will attack it from within. The left, who sees this as a criminal nation, founded by old white men who owned slaves. America's past sins, slavery, the treatment of Native Americans, negates anything good about America, and renders the constitution a "flawed document". The left wants to scrap the constitution and draft their own, (presumably with no gun ownership, wealth redistribution, and political correctness built in). We have a news media that is owned by a select few, and is driven to promote all things left, and attack all things conservative. And we have the external challenges of China, Russia, India and others out smarting us at every turn. The leaders of other nations are motivated to further their own countries' interests, while our leaders seek to subvert America's interests. Eventually, that will come back to bite us, as our economic power dwindles, and our competitiveness withers. It will all simply be the "new normal", and the public will accept it, as long as they can facebook, and tweet, and do whatever else.

This is where the analog to the tower fails. Unlike the tower that falls in a heap with a roar, America will slowly wither, and become unrecognizable. A stooge to stronger, more motivated nations.

And we get to watch it happen.

Offline aligncare

(Just a joke) but, have your wife take your belt and shoelaces away.

Offline Relic

(Just a joke) but, have your wife take your belt and shoelaces away.

I know it's dark, but reality can be dark.

Trust me, I leave that stuff here, (mostly), and enjoy my life. I smoke my cigar while walking my dog, and on occasion enjoy some scotch or a beer after the walk. I have my lights up, and my tree up, and am mostly happy.

But I am aware of what's happening. I just hope the timescale is long enough that I miss the worst of it.

Offline aligncare

Trust me, I leave that stuff here, (mostly), and enjoy my life. I smoke my cigar while walking my dog, and on occasion enjoy some scotch or a beer after the walk. I have my lights up, and my tree up, and am mostly happy.

But I am aware of what's happening. I just hope the timescale is long enough that I miss the worst of it.

Actually, I found nothing to disagree with in your original post.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Relic wrote above:
"This is where the analog to the tower fails. Unlike the tower that falls in a heap with a roar, America will slowly wither, and become unrecognizable. A stooge to stronger, more motivated nations."

I agree with your general point of view because I, too, have reached a conclusion similar to yours, insofar as the fate of The West is concerned.

However, I believe the collapse will come far more rapidly than you predict.

What we're seeing now are cracks and fissures spreading through the foundations of our civilization.
A crack here, another there -- the building stands, for now.

But a point will be reached when that foundation has so weakened that it won't be able to support the towers above it any longer.

Out of nowhere it's going to come down so fast that all will be left is a great cloud of dust and smoke.

Same as in lower Manhattan back on that beautiful September morning.

In the span of a few moments, from this:

To this:
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 01:53:54 am by Fishrrman »

HAPPY2BME

This is where the analog to the tower fails. Unlike the tower that falls in a heap with a roar, America will slowly wither, and become unrecognizable. A stooge to stronger, more motivated nations.

==================================

Oceander

Here's the stupid thing about this:  to all appearances the two terrorists in fact would have passed background checks (or did pass, since she was apparently "vetted" when she applied for permanent residency).  In other words, expanded background checks would not have prevented these two from purchasing their arsenal.

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS

Your post was outstanding, no need be concerned about pointing out the darkness.

The politics of this nation have destroyed it. Our sensibilities are such that we cannot even speak the name of our enemy.  We cannot even call them what they are for fear of offending them.  The woman in the neighborhood was afraid of saying anything about the terrorist's activities because she was more afraid of being called a bigot.  In America, being a bigot is WORSE than being a mass murderer. 

And people wonder why Trump is popular? America is the walking dead.
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
It is indeed.
I can be a bit calmer than some here, because I have already come to terms with our fate. The US is like one of the towers after the jet hit it. It's still standing, battered, but for all intents and purposes looks as though it will stand. It won't. This country is going to fall, hard. Americans think that since we are unlikely to be directly invaded by an occupying force, short of nuclear war, we're invincible. They are so wrong.

We are going to die the death of a thousand cuts. Mexicans who chose not to assimilate, and owe their allegiance to Mexico. muslims who actively hate this country, and will attack it from within. The left, who sees this as a criminal nation, founded by old white men who owned slaves. America's past sins, slavery, the treatment of Native Americans, negates anything good about America, and renders the constitution a "flawed document". The left wants to scrap the constitution and draft their own, (presumably with no gun ownership, wealth redistribution, and political correctness built in). We have a news media that is owned by a select few, and is driven to promote all things left, and attack all things conservative. And we have the external challenges of China, Russia, India and others out smarting us at every turn. The leaders of other nations are motivated to further their own countries' interests, while our leaders seek to subvert America's interests. Eventually, that will come back to bite us, as our economic power dwindles, and our competitiveness withers. It will all simply be the "new normal", and the public will accept it, as long as they can facebook, and tweet, and do whatever else.

And we get to watch it happen.

I watched an episode of 'Madam Secretary' a couple of nights ago. The plot was Air Force 1 was attacked and she asked the Chinese ambassador straight out if they did it. The ambassador's reply was essentially, we have $1 trillion of your debt, so why would we attack you? When we come for you, it will not be with missiles or cyber attacks, we will repossess you.

And they will. The show may be fiction, but that line was full of truth.

I hope those in California, Hawaii, Oregon, and Washington are brushing up on their Chinese, and Alaska their Russian.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 05:45:29 am by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...

Unfortunately as Generation X, I won't be so lucky. I'm fine with that, someone has to teach the young ones to survive and care for them.

I fully expect to die with a bullet in my head and my face in the dirt by the hand of some jackboot goon. Better quick than slow wasting away in my bed.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Relic

Relic wrote above:
"This is where the analog to the tower fails. Unlike the tower that falls in a heap with a roar, America will slowly wither, and become unrecognizable. A stooge to stronger, more motivated nations."

I agree with your general point of view because I, too, have reached a conclusion similar to yours, insofar as the fate of The West is concerned.

However, I believe the collapse will come far more rapidly than you predict.

What we're seeing now are cracks and fissures spreading through the foundations of our civilization.
A crack here, another there -- the building stands, for now.

But a point will be reached when that foundation has so weakened that it won't be able to support the towers above it any longer.

Out of nowhere it's going to come down so fast that all will be left is a great cloud of dust and smoke.

Same as in lower Manhattan back on that beautiful September morning.

Obviously it's just a guess on my part, and I have no specific knowledge, I'm just an observer.

I'm a Christian. I'm a believer, but I'm not what you'd call devout, or zealous. However, I do believe that it's no coincidence that this country is failing while turning it's collective back on God.

Offline EdinVA

Obviously it's just a guess on my part, and I have no specific knowledge, I'm just an observer.

I'm a Christian. I'm a believer, but I'm not what you'd call devout, or zealous. However, I do believe that it's no coincidence that this country is failing while turning it's collective back on God.

Not sure the nations relationship with God per se, but I am convinced that the abandonment of traditional christian values like respect, courtesy, honor, will be our undoing...

Offline Relic

Not sure the nations relationship with God per se, but I am convinced that the abandonment of traditional christian values like respect, courtesy, honor, will be our undoing...

At this point, it is a distinction without difference.