Author Topic: Following Paris Attacks, NYC Steps up Outreach to Muslims  (Read 538 times)

Offline mountaineer

Following Paris Attacks, NYC Steps up Outreach to Muslims
« on: December 04, 2015, 11:56:29 am »
Following Paris Attacks, NYC Steps up Outreach to Muslims
    By jonathan lemire, associated press
Posted at ABC News
NEW YORK — Dec 4, 2015, 6:28 AM ET
In the aftermath of last month's terror attacks in Paris, New York City officials have bolstered security and quietly stepped up outreach efforts to Muslim residents, trying to calm fears of possible hate-filled retaliation while trying to extend government services to a community that often has felt neglected.

The city has increased its presence in Muslim neighborhoods, sending staffers to visit mosques and build better relationships with imams and worshippers. Police officials have briefed community leaders on new counterterrorism procedures. Other city officials have urged Muslims to report any hate crimes, the number of which — despite terror-filled headlines and the inflammatory rhetoric of some national politicians — is sharply lower in New York in 2015 than at this time a year ago.

Mayor Bill de Blasio on Friday is to deliver a speech at an Islamic community center, reaffirming that the city's 800,000 Muslims have the same rights as all New Yorkers while pledging protection from any hate crimes, the mayor's aides told The Associated Press on Thursday.

De Blasio's speech at the Jamaica Muslim Center, or Masjid Al-Mamoor in Queens, is the most high-profile move the administration has made to calm jittery Muslims since the Nov. 13 attacks that killed at least 129 people in Paris, and this week's slaying of 14 people in San Bernardino, California. But it's far from the only step the administration has taken to reach out to Muslims, some of whom deeply feared discrimination after 9/11.

Six days after the Paris attacks, the Mayor's Community Affairs Unit organized a meeting between 40 community leaders — the vast majority from the Muslim community — and the NYPD's Hate Crimes Unit with aims of building the trust necessary for Muslims to turn to law enforcement to report crimes.

Teams from the mayor's office and city council have spent time at mosques and community centers, hoping to improve relations with imams who could also advocate city services, such as free pre-kindergarten and municipal identification cards, that would improve some Muslims' level of civic engagement and potentially ward off alienation.

"This is a community that has not always had the best relationship with city government," said Marco Carrion, head of the mayor's community affairs unit. "Some have never seen a helpful government and welcomed us with open arms. But other times we face real resistance and mistrust."

NYPD officials said there has not been an uptick in bias crimes against Muslims since the Paris attacks. So far this year, there have been 14 hate crimes against Muslims, a 39 percent decrease from this time a year ago, according to NYPD statistics. But officials acknowledge that some hate crimes go unreported.

The NYPD, which has 900 Muslim officers, uses its Community Affairs Bureau to foster better relationships with all of the city's diverse communities by staffing street festivals, providing services to accident victims and trying "to make people who don't normally talk to cops feel comfortable coming to us," said the head of the unit, Chief Joanne Jaffe.

This summer, the unit circulated fliers offering support to Muslim-owned shops in Brooklyn and the Bronx.

After the Paris attacks, the NYPD increased security at mosques, as well as synagogues, and reached out to more than 40 Muslim organizations. On Monday, Police Commissioner William Bratton will host a conference for clergy members focusing on community involvement and the NYPD's counterterrorism threat assessment program.

"Outreach by the city to the Muslim community is critically important, especially now," said Donna Lieberman, executive director of the New York Civil Liberties Union. "But there must be clear distinctions between the outreach and anti-terrorism efforts. Otherwise, it will discourage Muslims from going to law enforcement and just breed further distrust."

After September 11, the NYPD used its intelligence division to detect terror threats by cultivating informants and conducting surveillance in Muslim communities. Over the years, the practice resulted in a handful of prosecutions of homegrown terrorists and, more recently, became the subject of a series of articles by The Associated Press revealing that the intelligence division had infiltrated dozens of mosques and Muslim student groups and investigated hundreds.

Last year, amid complaints of religious and racial profiling, the NYPD disbanded a team of detectives assigned to create databases but has continued its use of informants and undercover investigators to fight terror.

Some Muslims say they have felt harsh stares in recent weeks.

"I don't like the idea that regular everyday Muslims are being lumped together with terrorists," said Maryam Mohiuddin, a hijab-wearing American artist from Bangladesh who was visiting the Al Farooq Mosque in Brooklyn. "I'd like it better if people don't look at me with suspicion. I'd rather them ask me questions."
Well, no, we wouldn't want anyone to feel alienated. Otherwise they might go on a shooting spree or something.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

HAPPY2BME

Re: Following Paris Attacks, NYC Steps up Outreach to Muslims
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2015, 03:56:27 pm »
Washington Post
By Kevin Sullivan, Elahe Izadi and Sarah Pulliam Bailey
December 3, 2015

Rabia Chaudry kept her 7-year-old daughter home from her private Islamic school in Maryland on Thursday, fearing anti-Muslim backlash from Wednesday’s massacre nearly 3,000 miles away in San Bernardino, Calif.

“I think we are all feeling exhausted and very vulnerable,” said Chaudry, a lawyer and national security fellow at the New America Foundation. “I’m angry at those people who did this attack. And I’m angry at how this is being politicized. Everything boils down to, ‘We should fear Muslims. And they shouldn’t be here.’ ”

American Muslims say they are living through an intensely painful moment and feel growing anti-Muslim sentiment after the recent Islamic State attacks in Paris and this week’s San Bernardino shootings, carried out by a Muslim husband and wife.

The motivations of the California killers are still unclear, although authorities are investigating it as a potential act of terrorism. Muslims said they are bracing for an even more toxic climate in which Americans are increasingly suspicious of Muslims.

Muslims say that Americans, like many in Europe, often do not draw a distinction between radical Islamist militants, such as those associated with the Islamic State and al-Qaeda, and the religion of Islam and its followers who have no ties to extremism.

CAIR VIDEO claiming Islam is not the problem at source link.

Thursday’s New York Post reported the San Bernardino massacre story with the headline “MUSLIM KILLERS.”

Arsalan Iftikhar, a human rights lawyer who is working on a book on Islamophobia in the United States, said that headline was evidence of how people jump to conclusions about a suspect in a crime who is Muslim.

“When a Muslim American commits a murder, their religion is brought front and center,” he said. “With anyone else, [it’s] a crazy, kooky loner.”

Many Muslims said fear of Islam is being fueled by the heated rhetoric of Republican presidential candidates, particularly businessman Donald Trump, who has called for surveillance of some mosques and requiring Muslims to register with the government.

That may be smart electoral politics: A 2014 survey by the Pew Research Center showed that 82 percent of Republicans said they were “very concerned” about the rise of Islamic extremism in the world, compared with 51 percent of Democrats.

“Islamophobia is the accepted form of racism in America,” Iftikhar said. “Leaders like Donald Trump show us that you can take a potshot at Muslims and get away with it.”

Estimates of the number of American Muslims vary from about 4 million to perhaps 12 million.

The backlash against them has created a deepening sense of alienation. Talk of creating Muslim databases and noting Muslims’ religion on their IDs has echoes for many of the forced internment of Japanese Americans during World War II. Many mosques have asked local police for more security.

“There’s a constant climate of insinuation of terrorism and disloyalty that creates this pervasive sense of being an outsider,” said Haroon Moghul, a fellow at the Institute for Social Policy and Understanding in Washington.

On Tuesday morning, Terry Cormier arrived to open her Anaheim, Calif., Islamic clothing shop and found a Koran, riddled with more than 30 bullet holes, left at the door. She made a report to police and the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR), whose officials called it “a note that says, ‘You’re not welcome here.’ ”

“Our Koran is something that is very important to us and that we hold very dear, and to see it full of bullet holes and defaced and intentionally delivered to me to find is a hate-filled message,” said Cormier, a California native who married an Egyptian immigrant and converted to Islam. “Whoever did it, I think they probably didn’t have any understanding of the religion itself.”

Cormier, who wears the head scarf known as the hijab, said she has felt little anti-Muslim sentiment in her ethnically diverse community in Southern California until now.

“But especially after what happened yesterday in San Bernardino, it’s pretty intense,” she said. “But I really think that if people would just get out there and talk to a Muslim person, they would see that they are human just like you. We’re just as upset about what’s going on and how people are being hurt. It’s devastating to us as well.”

Pew studies show that since the 9/11 attacks, Americans have become far more likely to think that Islam encourages violence more than other religions might. A Pew survey in March 2002 found that 25 percent of Americans held that view, and the number reached 50 percent by September 2014.

Research by Pew and CAIR shows that apprehension about Islam has increased sharply with the rise of the Islamic State, also known as ISIS and ISIL, in the past two years, especially since the group’s highly publicized beheadings of foreign journalists and aid workers began in August 2014.

“After 2010, we had a few years where things seemed to be getting better,” said Corey Saylor, national legislative director at CAIR. But he said the beheadings “set us back down a darker path. . . . People of goodwill are trying to do work to bring people together, and it just takes a few moments of ISIS’s time to unravel all of that.”

Anti-Muslim violence in the United States has jumped since the Paris attacks, including gunfire and vandalism targeting mosques and assaults against individual Muslims.

One recent evening, Haneen Jasim, 22, a University of Cincinnati pre-med student who wears the hijab, said she had just left a Starbucks where she was studying for an exam when a man approaching in a car began honking his horn.

With his window rolled down, he began shouting insults at her and called her a terrorist.

“He was yelling, ‘Paris!’ and told me to go back to my country,” Jasim said in an interview.

As he yelled, she said, he drove toward her, “almost running me over.” Three people pulled her to safety on the sidewalk, she said.

“I’ve never gotten anything negative about being a Muslim, ever,” she said. “I always read articles about other people, but I honestly did not think it would happen to me.”

Jasim said the encounter has bolstered her resolve to educate others that her religion is not about violence, that Islamic State militants are not true Muslims. She said she would organize an anti-Islamophobia rally Friday on campus.

But the incident has also left her scared, for herself and her three younger sisters.

“I am terrified. My friends are scared. My family is scared. I’m scared for other people, but this is an opportunity to show to people what Islam is, instead of what the media or ISIS shows.”

At least one Muslim was also wounded in the San Bernardino attack. Khaled Zeidan, board chairman at the Islamic Community Center of Redlands, said a Muslim woman was shot in the legs and is in stable condition.

“We’re all grieving. We’re all together in this,” Zeidan said. “We’re all hurting, whether people want to believe it or not.”

Muslim leaders are also debating whether they need to apologize each time Islamic extremists carry out an attack, said Adem Carroll, a member of the Muslim American Civil Liberties Coalition in New York.

“If our voice is not included, that silence is interpreted as acquiescence or guilt,” Carroll said. “We’ve been in a position since 9/11 where we have to prove our innocence, which is the opposite of the way it should be.”

Other Muslims think that moderate Muslims need to be more aggressive about denouncing acts of terror and rejecting the Islamic State’s call to establish a caliphate — a Muslim homeland ruled by sharia.

On Friday at the National Press Club in Washington, a group of American Muslims will announce the Muslim Reform Movement, calling on other American Muslims to reject the caliphate and advocate for the equality of men and women.

“We need to deal honestly with issues of extremism,” said Asra Nomani, an author and activist who is part of the group. “As long as Americans see denial and deflection, it feeds distrust.”

Muslims, Nomani says, need to directly address how extremist Muslims interpret the Koran and how that affects church-state relations.

“What we’re struggling with is on the far right, a lot of people who want to deal with Islam in a monolithic way, and on the far left, no one wants to acknowledge there’s a larger problem,” Nomani said. “The truth lies somewhere in the middle. There is an extremism problem. The majority of Muslims don’t live that way, and we have to reclaim a middle path.”

At Dar Al-Hijrah Islamic Center, a Falls Church mosque that was targeted by a man throwing smoke bombs and a Molotov cocktail on Nov. 19, leaders said they would respond to the current “culture of intolerance” by touting good works done by Muslims at the mosque.

Imam Johari Abdul-Malik said he was pointing out his community’s outreach efforts, including a weekly food pantry serving 250 families, mostly non-Muslims; free Thanksgiving dinners for the needy; and an upcoming countywide coat and blanket drive for displaced persons in Syria.

“The best defense is offense,” Abdul-Malik said. “People are telling other people to be afraid of what you do? Then let them come and see what you do.”

source: https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/after-paris-and-california-attacks-us-muslims-feel-intense-backlash/2015/12/03/bcf8e480-9a09-11e5-94f0-9eeaff906ef3_story.html

Offline Relic

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2015, 04:00:11 pm »
There are good muslims, but the problem is in their "religion".

HAPPY2BME

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2015, 04:40:03 pm »
There are good muslims, but the problem is in their "religion".

==============================================

I can't recall knowing or hearing of any Christians who cut off other people's heads in the name of Christ.

Offline flowers

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2015, 05:09:24 pm »
Horrible....yeah lets play nice with the ones who are going to slaughter you.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2015, 08:56:29 pm »
Horrible....yeah lets play nice with the ones who are going to slaughter you.
Exactly. DeBlasio is just Obama - taller, paler skin - but just as stupid and anti-American.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2015, 01:46:35 pm »
De Blasio vows to protect Muslims against hate crimes
By NY Post Staff
December 5, 2015 | 2:10am
Mayor de Blasio told more than 200 people at a Queens mosque Friday night that Muslims have the same rights as all New Yorkers and vowed the city would protect them from hate crimes by bigots seeking scapegoats for the recent terror attacks in California and Paris.

“We are here to say that with every tool we have as a city and with all the capacity of the greatest police force on earth, we will protect this community,” said de Blasio at the Jamaica Muslim Center. “We reject in New York City hate crimes of all kinds. We take them very seriously.”

He also said he considers “the Muslim community in New York City an ally in the fight against terrorism,” adding “when acts of terror occur, all communities suffer.”

He also said his administration is on an “important mission” to “deepen the relationship” between the Muslim community and city government, adding it needs to be improved after years of apathy.

"We know we are living in a difficult time in history,” he said. He also thanked the leadership of the Jamaica Muslim center for “sending a very clear message” that it condemns the California attack and that “this is a religion of peace.”

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2015, 01:49:54 pm »
Meanwhile...

California killers’ link to controversial New York mosque
The California terror couple had an Allah-praising sticker slapped on a dresser drawer in their town house that traces back to a Muslim organization with headquarters in Queens, The Post has learned.

The decal, which has a prayer for coming out of the bathroom, is from the Islamic Circle of North America Sisters’ Wing, and says, “Praise to be Allah Who relieved me from the suffering and gave me relief.”  ...
A spokesperson says the group condemns the attack. Rest of story

Offline aligncare

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2015, 01:58:01 pm »

Mayor Bill Di Blasio (born Warren Wilhelm Jr.). Obama's brother from another mother. Both are dangerous communists. That's not hyperbole—that's historical fact.

rangerrebew

Following Paris attacks, NYC steps up outreach to Muslims
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2015, 03:20:27 pm »
Following Paris attacks, NYC steps up outreach to Muslims

Mr. De Blasio’s speech at the Jamaica Muslim Center, or Masjid Al-Mamoor, is the most high-profile move the administration has made to calm jittery Muslims

New York City officials have bolstered security and quietly stepped up outreach to Muslim residents in the aftermath of last month’s Paris attacks, trying to calm fears of hate-filled retaliation and mend a relationship that has been fraught with mutual suspicion.

The city has increased its presence in Muslim neighbourhoods, sending staffers to visit mosques and meet with imams and worshippers. Police officials have briefed community leaders on new counterterrorism procedures. Other city officials have urged Muslims to report any hate crimes, the number of which is sharply lower in New York in 2015 than at this time a year ago.

In a speech on Friday evening at an Islamic community centre, Mayor Bill de Blasio said the city would deepen its relationship with the 800,000 Muslim New Yorkers and vowed dogged investigations into any hate crimes.

“We are a stronger city because of the contributions of the Muslim community,” he said.

Mr. De Blasio’s speech at the Jamaica Muslim Center, or Masjid Al-Mamoor, is the most high-profile move the administration has made to calm jittery Muslims since the Nov. 13 attacks that killed at least 129 people in Paris and this week’s slaying of 14 people in San Bernardino, California.

Six days after the Paris attacks, the mayor’s office organized a meeting among 40 community leaders the vast majority Muslims and police with aims of building the trust necessary for Muslims to turn to law enforcement to report crimes. The police department has also increased security at mosques, as well as synagogues.

“We, really, we feel protected,” she said, adding that what she likes about the U.S. is, “it’s the first country on Earth that takes care of other religions.”

Ms. Dannech said some public officials could do a better job of pointing out that violent extremists are the minority among Muslims rather than the norm. She said there is always a chance of harassment after “big things happen” and that “each time something happens, it gets worse.”

New York Police Department officials said there has not been an uptick in bias crimes against Muslims since the Paris attacks, though they acknowledge that some hate crimes go unreported.

The NYPD, which has 900 Muslim officers, uses its community affairs bureau to foster better relationships by staffing street festivals, providing services to accident victims and trying “to make people who don’t normally talk to cops feel comfortable coming to us,” said the head of the unit, Chief Joanne Jaffe.

“Outreach by the city to the Muslim community is critically important, especially now,” said Donna Lieberman, executive director of the New York Civil Liberties Union. “But there must be clear distinctions between the outreach and anti-terrorism efforts. Otherwise, it will discourage Muslims from going to law enforcement and just breed further distrust.”

http://www.thehindu.com/news/international/following-paris-attacks-nyc-steps-up-outreach-to-muslims/article7951791.ece?w=alauto
« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 03:21:38 pm by rangerrebew »