Author Topic: Rubio slams Trump on Israel  (Read 992 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Rubio slams Trump on Israel
« on: December 03, 2015, 05:42:47 pm »
http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/261945-rubio-slams-trump-on-israel

December 03, 2015, 11:20 am
Rubio slams Trump on Israel

By Ben Kamisar and Jonathan Easley

Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) on Thursday lashed out at Donald Trump’s comments suggesting that Israel should offer “sacrifices” to win a peace deal, telling a prominent Republican Jewish group that conflict is the Middle East amounts to more than “a real estate deal.”

Rubio, who is rising in polls of GOP voters, questioned Trump's commitment to Israel given the business mogul’s interview published earlier in the day with The Associated Press.

“There is no moral equivalence between Israel and those who seek to destroy her,” Rubio said in an address to the Republican Jewish Coalition. “Understanding that fundamental truth is essential to being the next commander in chief.

“This is not a real estate deal with two sides arguing over money. It’s a struggle to safeguard the future of Israel.”

The barb came about an hour before the famous real estate developer, who has dominated the GOP race so far, is to speak to the group, and hours after news of Trump's comments appeared.

Trump told the AP that “a lot” of peace in the Middle East “will have to do with Israel and whether or not Israel wants to make the deal — whether or not Israel’s willing to sacrifice certain things.”

He didn’t elaborate on what “certain things” Israel would need to sacrifice to win peace, but described Israeli settlements in the West Bank as a “huge sticking point.”

Palestinians have repeatedly called for Israel to make land concessions as per the borders drawn by the United Nations in 1948; Israel has bucked those calls and argued that it only took control of the land after its neighbors attacked the country.

The RJC is an unconditional supporter of Israel, and its board of directors includes major GOP power players and donors, such as Paul Singer, who has supported Rubio, and Sheldon Adelson.

Adelson, a patron to Mitt Romney in 2012, hasn’t publicly supported a candidate, but reports say he’s leaning toward Rubio. All 14 major Republican candidates are slated to speak to the group.

Rubio also hit the Obama administration for being weak on national security, while vowing that as commander in chief he’d repair U.S. relations with Israel.

“Each time I return to this gathering, the urgency of the topic at hand has increased since the year before,” Rubio said. “That’s true this year more than ever. The threats facing both our country and Israel have grown dramatically in recent months, in large part because our president has placed his own legacy ahead of our mutual security.”

Rubio blasted the Obama administration for a foreign policy that he said lacks “moral clarity.” He said that under the president’s direction “our allies feel betrayed and our adversaries feel emboldened.” The senator also warned that Obama has “exacerbated” the “existential threat of the Iranian nuclear weapons program,” and vowed to “shred” the administration’s nuclear deal with the country.

“When we gather here a year from now, we’ll have a new president-elect,” Rubio said. “And depending on who it is, we’ll have either taken a significant step toward reviving American leadership in the world and advancing Israel’s security, or we will have slid even further toward weakness and disengagement.”

The freshman senator accused Obama and former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, the Democratic front-runner, of abandoning Israel, a key U.S. ally, warning that Israel faces an existential threat from “Apocalyptic Islam” and saying he would fight a growing strain of anti-Semitism at home — his biggest applause line of the day.

“Today, anti-Semitism hides behind the label of anti-Israel,” Rubio said. “We need a president who will call it that. I will be that president.”

From the start of his campaign, Rubio, a member of Select Committee on Intelligence, has sought to frame himself as one of the party’s foremost voices on national security.

The terror attacks in Paris last month have re-focused the GOP debate on foreign policy, and Rubio seems poised to benefit if he can convince national security-minded Republicans to look past his relative lack of experience.

Rubio on Thursday pointed to his work on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee as a primary selling point.

“This is only the beginning of what I will do as president in support of Israel, but it is far from the beginning of my efforts on this issue as a public servant,” Rubio said. “Throughout my time in the Senate, I have worked to strengthen and deepen our alliance.” 
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Re: Rubio slams Trump on Israel
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2015, 06:11:14 pm »
I almost was going to step away from :baghead: and not post the article below after he had a nice response yesterday to the shooting, then he came out with the stupid 'poll number' tweet this morning about it so my flicker of respect went away...

Trump: If Israel isn’t willing to sacrifice certain things, there will be no peace deal with Palestinians

Trump is putting the onus of ‘peace’ on the Israelis, saying if they aren’t willing to sacrifice certain things, then there won’t be any peace between Israel and the Palestinians:

ASSOCIATED PRESS – Donald Trump says that if he’s elected president, he’ll know within six months whether he can achieve an elusive peace accord between Israelis and Palestinians, one of the world’s most vexing challenges. But the Republican presidential candidate says he has doubts about each side’s commitment to the peace process.

“I have a real question as to whether or not both sides want to make it,” Trump said in an interview with The Associated Press.

The Republican presidential front-runner said his concerns are greater regarding “one side in particular.” While Trump wouldn’t say whether he was referring to the Israelis or the Palestinians, he said the chances for a lasting peace rest with Israel.

“A lot will have to do with Israel and whether or not Israel wants to make the deal – whether or not Israel’s willing to sacrifice certain things,” Trump said. “They may not be, and I understand that, and I’m OK with that. But then you’re just not going to have a deal.”

“If I win, I’ll let you know six months from the time I take office,” he added.

Read more: http://therightscoop.com/trump-if-israel-isnt-willing-to-sacrifice-certain-things-there-will-be-no-peace-deal-with-palestinians/#ixzz3tHaCoXdq

Offline flowers

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2015, 06:25:37 pm »
I almost was going to step away from :baghead: and not post the article below after he had a nice response yesterday to the shooting, then he came out with the stupid 'poll number' tweet this morning about it so my flicker of respect went away...
He is dead wrong about this........
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 06:27:40 pm by flowers »

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2015, 06:49:27 pm »
"This" is about settlement expansion and has been the obstacle to a negotiated peace for at least 25 years (maybe Rubio's too young to remember what James Baker had to say to Congress in 1990, so I'll repost a few sentences): 

If that is going to be the Israeli approach, said Mr. Baker, ''there won't be any dialogue and there won't be any peace, and the United States of America can't make it happen.'' He said: ''You can't. I can't. The President can't. And so, it's going to take some really good faith, affirmative effort on the part of our good friends in Israel.''

If such new thinking is not forthcoming ''quickly'' from Israel, Mr. Baker cautioned, then the Bush Administration is simply going to disengage from Middle East diplomacy. Washington, he suggested, will adopt the attitude that could be summed up as ''call us when you are serious about peace.''

To drive home that point to the Israelis, the Secretary of State gave them President Bush's White House telephone number.  ''I have to tell you that everybody over there should know that the telephone number is 1-202-456-1414,'' Mr. Baker said. ''When you're serious about peace, call us.''

http://www.nytimes.com/1990/06/14/world/baker-rebukes-israel-on-peace-terms.html

Offline Carling

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2015, 06:50:16 pm »

Yep

There is no compromise with Muslims.  They don't stop until they control everything.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 06:51:02 pm by Carling »
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2015, 06:58:46 pm »
"This" is about settlement expansion and has been the obstacle to a negotiated peace for at least 25 years (maybe Rubio's too young to remember what James Baker had to say to Congress in 1990, so I'll repost a few sentences): 

http://www.nytimes.com/1990/06/14/world/baker-rebukes-israel-on-peace-terms.html

You have to go back 25 years to find a more anti-Israel administration than Obama's, and it was 41's.

Yeah,Israel has to give up settlements while living with a terrorist state that doesn't recognize Israel's right to exist.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2015, 06:59:00 pm »
Yep

There is no compromise with Muslims.  They don't stop until they control everything. 

I believe the conflict between Israel and the Palestinians is unique to their political relationship.  And until 9-11 so did the world. 

As the years have passed, I've come to better understand and reluctantly respect Netanyahu's quote:  "9-11 was very good for Israel".

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2015, 07:06:31 pm »
You have to go back 25 years to find a more anti-Israel administration than Obama's, and it was 41's.

No.  Every administration, Republican and Democrat alike, has stood opposed to additional settlements in the West Bank and considered this the obstacle to peace negotiations.

If Netanyahu wanted a peace deal, he'd have one tomorrow.  More than that deal, Netanyahu (as did his predecessors ) wants the West Bank.  And he wants it without annexing the people living there into the State of Israel.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2015, 07:16:23 pm »
No.  Every administration, Republican and Democrat alike, has stood opposed to additional settlements in the West Bank and considered this the obstacle to peace negotiations.

If Netanyahu wanted a peace deal, he'd have one tomorrow.  More than that deal, Netanyahu (as did his predecessors ) wants the West Bank.  And he wants it without annexing the people living there into the State of Israel.

LOL!  Ehud Barak wanted a peace deal, with Bill Clinton and Arafat spit in their faces.

You're naive if you think the Palestinians are going to give up the right of return and to recognize Israel's right to exist.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2015, 07:32:11 pm »
Not sure how a story on Trump insulting Jews and him suggesting an Israel foreign policy more pro-Palestinian than Obama's has turn into a Israel Foreign policy debate here, but it has.   Anything to get divert us away from the beginning topic. 
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2015, 07:34:32 pm »
LOL!  Ehud Barak wanted a peace deal, with Bill Clinton and Arafat spit in their faces.

You're naive if you think the Palestinians are going to give up the right of return and to recognize Israel's right to exist.

Abbas isn't Arafat--but what does that matter, I probably am naïve. 

I think it's time to turn this "situation" over--in full--to the elected leaders of the Israelis and the Palestinians.  Let both parties work it out together--and if this turns out to be impossible, then let both parties turn to their local neighbors and work out a regional agreement to end this ongoing conflict. 

What the Western powers, the US included, have been doing for forty-plus years clearly has not and will not accomplish peace.  Let's give the major players in this conflict their time at bat.

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2015, 07:37:14 pm »
Not sure how a story on Trump insulting Jews and him suggesting an Israel foreign policy more pro-Palestinian than Obama's has turn into a Israel Foreign policy debate here, but it has.   Anything to get divert us away from the beginning topic.

Because in this context,  "insulting Jews" has everything to do with foreign policy.  Rather than a diversion, this is a refreshing refocus on an issue rarely discussed honestly in American politics.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 07:37:44 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline flowers

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2015, 09:00:21 pm »
Yep

Bingo!

Online libertybele

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2015, 09:16:54 pm »
"Rubio on Thursday pointed to his work on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee as a primary selling point."   :silly:  :silly:

So let me get this straight; Rubio who voted to block conservative amendments to the Iran Nuclear Agreement Review Act is criticizing Trump on Israel.  Got it!
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2015, 12:30:15 am »