Author Topic: Donald Trump cancels press conference after black pastors say they were tricked into meeting  (Read 1394 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
 Donald Trump has been forced into a humiliating climbdown, cancelling a major campaign event after black church leaders complained that a private meeting was being billed as a public endorsement of the leading Republican presidential candidate.

Journalists had been invited to Trump Tower in New York on Monday to hear 100 African-American evangelical pastors endorse Mr Trump following the meeting.

But the claim prompted a number of angry denials from those involved who said they had simply agreed to hear the candidate set out his position on key issues. Others said they had declined the invitation altogether.

Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump, middle, speaks near his wife, Melania, left, son Baron, daughter Ivanka, second from right, and daughter Tiffany during a campaign event at the Myrtle Beach Convention CentreRepublican presidential candidate Donald Trump, middle, speaks near his wife, Melania, left, son Baron, daughter Ivanka, second from right, and daughter Tiffany during a campaign event at the Myrtle Beach Convention Centre  Photo: Willis Glasgow/AP

Bishop Clarence McClendon, a pastor well-known for his role in the reality show The Preachers of LA, said he would not decide who to endorse until next year.

“The meeting was presented not as a meeting to endorse but a meeting to engage in dialogue,” he said on Facebook.

Plans for the press conference were announced after a black activist was forcibly ejected from a Trump campaign rally in Alabama.

More: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/donald-trump/12023971/Donald-Trump-cancels-press-conference-after-black-pastors-say-they-were-tricked-into-meeting.html
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline sinkspur

Well, well.  Trump's attempt to jump offside and blindside these black pastors blew up in  his face.

Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Paladin

Lando Lincoln (8:15:59): "The "stop talking about Trump" begins with me. Right now."

Sinkspur (8:17:58): "Me too, I guess."

Uh huh.
Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.

Oceander

Lando Lincoln (8:15:59): "The "stop talking about Trump" begins with me. Right now."

Uh huh.

You were expecting otherwise?

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!

Uh huh.

I believe Sink's "me too" comment was in reference to Myst implying that he didn't get the message when she warned him about insulting and impugning fellow "Briefers".

In fairness, insulting Trump is and should be okay here in the forum.....it's when he includes fellow members who haven't given up on Trump yet.

IMO, Sink never said he would avoid Trump discussions.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline kevindavis007

Well, well.  Trump's attempt to jump offside and blindside these black pastors blew up in  his face.

My guess the check wasn't big enough..
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Online Right_in_Virginia

My guess the check wasn't big enough..

This was my first reaction, only I used the words "quid-pro-quo" instead of check.   ^-^

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
These folks are experienced in the art of the shakedown.  Hillary must have upped the ante.
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Offline flowers

This didn't turn out well for him. I wonder what he will say about this? He walked into this one full on it seems.

Offline Longiron

This didn't turn out well for him. I wonder what he will say about this? He walked into this one full on it seems.

Lets see who else is talking to Black Ministers beside Hillary. Rubio, Bushie, Carly, Kasich, Christie, even Cruz and TC is one of the Good guys! Not a word from any other candidate about Blacks? Trump gets a communication problem and believes "all lives matter" just not Black lives the ministers get the heat and that is a great reason not to support the guy and Jump ship. As always when the Truth becomes known in a few days the Trump haters and Bill Kristal can go back into their holes. :amen:
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 05:15:31 pm by Longiron »

Offline flowers

LOL>>>>>>>Trump is on Cnn right now with black pastors!!! They endorsed him!

Offline kevindavis007

LOL>>>>>>>Trump is on Cnn right now with black pastors!!! They endorsed him!

Not all of them. I'm guessing they got a good check.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 09:07:25 pm by kevindavis »
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline flowers

Not all of them. I'm guessing they got a good check.
yes....not all of them. But some of them did. They asked about the money. Of course he said no.

Online Right_in_Virginia

UPDATE:  Trump did hold a press conference today and received endorsements.

Good presser.  See link below:
https://videopress.com/embed/Xx3DheSL?autoPlay=0&hd=0&permalink=1&loop=0

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
UPDATE:  Trump did hold a press conference today and received endorsements.

Good presser.  See link below:
https://videopress.com/embed/Xx3DheSL?autoPlay=0&hd=0&permalink=1&loop=0

Thanks for that link, it was very good!  Everyone that has commented on this thread should watch that link - and decide for themselves - instead of letting slanted media headlines define the story for them. 

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline NavyCanDo

Whether some of these pastors did or did not give them their endorsement - I'm not understanding the excitement over a bunch of liberal black theologian ministers who are more closely aligned with Jeremiah Wright than Billy Graham, or to even some of the black pastors who were guest speakers at my church.   Looking at that video only confirms some things for me about them - black activist, all.    At least the ones that are standing with Trump in that video.   
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline kevindavis007

Whether some of these pastors did or did not give them their endorsement - I'm not understanding the excitement over a bunch of liberal black theologian ministers who are more closely aligned with Jeremiah Wright than Billy Graham, or to even some of the black pastors who were guest speakers at my church.   Looking at that video only confirms some things for me about them - black activist, all.    At least the ones that are standing with Trump in that video.

My guess, is that the check was the right amount for their support.

Offline flowers

Thanks for that link, it was very good!  Everyone that has commented on this thread should watch that link - and decide for themselves - instead of letting slanted media headlines define the story for them.
At the beginning of that video did you see how Trump responded when that woman mentioned race? He wasn't happy. He frowned and shook his head no. Then talked to the man and then he spoke.