Author Topic: This College President’s Message To Students Is AWESOME  (Read 591 times)

rangerrebew

This College President’s Message To Students Is AWESOME
« on: December 01, 2015, 02:03:52 pm »
This College President’s Message To Students Is AWESOME

Robert Gehl
November 30, 2015

At least one college president has had enough with whiny, delicate students who are offended by everything.

In an open letter titled “This is not a daycare. It’s a university!” Oklahoma Wesleyan University President Everett Piper pushed back hard against other college presidents who accommodate and coddle student groups like Black Lives Matter who feel “triggered” by any and every symbol and utterance they might find “offensive.”

He began with a shocking true story:

This past week, I actually had a student come forward after a university chapel service and complain because he felt “victimized” by a sermon on the topic of 1 Corinthians 13. It appears that this young scholar felt offended because a homily on love made him feel bad for not showing love! In his mind, the speaker was wrong for making him, and his peers, feel uncomfortable.

I’m not making this up. Our culture has actually taught our kids to be this self-absorbed and narcissistic! Any time their feelings are hurt, they are the victims! Anyone who dares challenge them and, thus, makes them “feel bad” about themselves, is a “hater,” a “bigot,” an “oppressor,” and a “victimizer.”

Piper said the “discomfort” students feel is actually a “conscience,” and that’s the point of a Christian institution like his.

If you’re more interested in playing the “hater” card than you are in confessing your own hate; if you want to arrogantly lecture, rather than humbly learn; if you don’t want to feel guilt in your soul when you are guilty of sin; if you want to be enabled rather than confronted, there are many universities across the land (in Missouri and elsewhere) that will give you exactly what you want, but Oklahoma Wesleyan isn’t one of them.

At OKWU, we teach you to be selfless rather than self-centered. We are more interested in you practicing personal forgiveness than political revenge. We want you to model interpersonal reconciliation rather than foment personal conflict. We believe the content of your character is more important than the color of your skin. We don’t believe that you have been victimized every time you feel guilty and we don’t issue “trigger warnings” before altar calls.

Oklahoma Wesleyan is not a “safe place,” but rather, a place to learn: to learn that life isn’t about you, but about others; that the bad feeling you have while listening to a sermon is called guilt; that the way to address it is to repent of everything that’s wrong with you rather than blame others for everything that’s wrong with them. This is a place where you will quickly learn that you need to grow up!

This is not a day care. This is a university!

http://downtrend.com/robertgehl/this-college-presidents-message-to-students-is-awesome
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 02:04:30 pm by rangerrebew »

Online mountaineer

Re: This College President’s Message To Students Is AWESOME
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2015, 02:07:19 pm »
The word of God isn't supposed to make anyone feel comfortable.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline aligncare

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2015, 02:12:37 pm »

I'm sure ABC, NBC, CBS and CNN will be doing a feature story on this traditional-minded university president...not.

Oceander

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2015, 02:48:31 am »
I'm sure ABC, NBC, CBS and CNN will be doing a feature story on this traditional-minded university president...not.

If they do, it'll be to create a narrative about his "hate".

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2015, 02:50:49 am »
If they do, it'll be to create a narrative about his "hate".

Stop being right, please.  :beer:
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Oceander

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2015, 02:51:42 am »
Stop being right, please.  :beer:

Not only am I right, I'm correct, too.  :beer: