Author Topic: Evangelical Groups Break Away From GOP Over Syrian Refugees  (Read 1654 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Evangelical Groups Break Away From GOP Over Syrian Refugees
« on: November 19, 2015, 07:33:38 pm »
http://www.newsmax.com/Headline/evangelical-christian-groups-GOP/2015/11/19/id/702814/

ewsmax
Evangelical Groups Break Away From GOP Over Syrian Refugees
Thursday, November 19, 2015 09:25 AM

By: Cathy Burke

Some evangelical Christian leaders are breaking away from national security-minded Republicans who want to stop the entry of any Syrian refugees.

For evangelicals, particularly those organizations approved by the State Department to resettle refugees, there is no choice but to welcome those fleeing war-torn Syria, Matthew Soerens of Church Mobilization for World Relief tells NPR.

"Jesus himself was a refugee," Soerens tells the outlet. His group is an offshoot of the National Association of Evangelicals and one of nine groups approved to help in the resettlement that stirred up opposition among many Republican governors, lawmakers and GOP presidential candidates.

"He fled as a small child to Egypt when there was a tyrannical government threatening his life. So as Christians we don't really have a choice but to welcome refugees."

Fewer than 2,000 Syrian refugees have been admitted so far, NPR reports, and legislation is being considered that would make the screening process stricter.

But Soerens warns the tough stance on refugees' entry by some GOP lawmakers and conservatives could ultimately hurt them politically.

"I think it's the wrong decision morally," he tells NPR. "But I also think it could be a poor political position. I think a lot of candidates very quickly took a position, and I think that they may not realize the voters that they could be alienating with that position."

The National Association of Evangelicals also is firmly supporting refugee resettlement.

"Of course we want to keep terrorists out of our country, but let's not punish the victims of ISIS for the sins of ISIS," Leith Anderson, NAE president, says in a statement.

"We are horrified and heartbroken by the terrorist atrocities in Paris, but must not forget that there are thousands more victims of these same terrorists who are fleeing Syria with their families and desperately need someplace to go."

Anderson tells NPR he hopes evangelical churches will continue to step forward and offer to house Syrian refugees — and pointed out some of them are Christians fleeing persecution.

"If a child is suffering; if a child, a family, has been forced out of their home, are we really going to put them through a religious test in order to protect their lives? I hope not," Anderson tells NPR.

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline GAJohnnie

Re: Evangelical Groups Break Away From GOP Over Syrian Refugees
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2015, 07:37:03 pm »
Remember there are Left wing "Evangelical groups" committed to "Liberation Theology".

I think this author might want to take a look at the US House vote on the issue. Enough House Democrats voted for the GOP measure to override 0's promised veto.

Don't think the GOP is the one who needs to be worried over the "Refugee" issue

Offline GAJohnnie

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2015, 07:38:26 pm »
His group is an offshoot of the National Association of Evangelicals

So in other words, a Leftist fringe wack job has now been elevate to speak for all Evangelicals.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2015, 07:39:48 pm »
These are phoney "faith-based" groups.  They're just in it for the $$$.

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline aligncare

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2015, 07:46:56 pm »
His group is an offshoot of the National Association of Evangelicals

So in other words, a Leftist fringe wack job has now been elevate to speak for all Evangelicals.

That's what the media does. Just like, somehow, Al Sharpton speaks for black folk! (NOT!)

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2015, 08:00:11 pm »
These are phoney "faith-based" groups.  They're just in it for the $$$.

How about Methodists?  Are they phony and in it just for the $$$?

What about Catholics?  The Catholic Church has lots of buildings and fancy artwork.  Are they in it just for the $$$?

I'm just wondering what the favored religion is around here since Islam and Evangelical Christianity don't measure up.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2015, 09:24:03 pm »
particularly those organizations approved by the State Department to resettle refugees
This is all you need to know.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline evadR

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2015, 09:45:02 pm »
When dealing with anything from the MSM, NEVER accept the premise.
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2015, 10:01:08 pm »
When dealing with anything from the MSM, NEVER accept the premise.

:amen:  :amen: and  :amen:  :beer:
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online mountaineer

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2015, 12:45:40 am »
I'm just wondering what the favored religion is around here since Islam and Evangelical Christianity don't measure up.
What a tidy bit of hyperbole. What makes you think Matthew Soerens (whoever the heck he is) represents evangelicals? Criticizing him is not the same as criticizing Christianity.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline raml

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2015, 06:43:11 am »
I know large spectrum of evangelicals and we don't want the refugees coming over. There are Catholic groups not evangelicals that get money to feed and house these people and most parishes are not rich only the Vatican and the some of the higher bishops and arch bishops have money. Cities where these folks were being sent are not rich and the Catholic church does not spread around the wealth they have and the there are certain religions like the Catholics that do this but they are not evangelicals the article is bogus as most that come from the media are. My dad gave so much money to the Catholic church over the years and I thought him a fool for doing it because mostly they spent it on building more lavish rectories and churches  than actually helping people in distress. Instead we had a steady stream of people coming to our home over the years for meals when my father heard about them needing help. I admired my dad for his good deeds but did not admire the Catholic church ever. The Catholic church does do this for money and could care less if they turn out to be terrorists.

Offline flowers

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2015, 06:37:49 pm »
This is all you need to know.
Yep! that is when I stopped reading the article.

Offline GAJohnnie

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2015, 06:52:46 pm »
How about Methodists?  Are they phony and in it just for the $$$?

What about Catholics?  The Catholic Church has lots of buildings and fancy artwork.  Are they in it just for the $$$?

You know you really need to check your emotions. These sorts of Ad Hominem Argument by Emotive Language you favor really do not make your case.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2015, 07:39:49 pm »
You know you really need to check your emotions. These sorts of Ad Hominem Argument by Emotive Language you favor really do not make your case.

Wait till he calls you a "butt sniffer." Then you know you've arrived.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2015, 09:13:24 pm »
Wait till he calls you a "butt sniffer." Then you know you've arrived.

:happyhappy: :happyhappy: :happyhappy: :happyhappy: :happyhappy: :happyhappy: :happyhappy: :happyhappy: :happyhappy: :happyhappy:
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien