Author Topic: Obama says Syrian refugees are no bigger threat to U.S. than ‘tourists’  (Read 2788 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/nov/19/obama-says-syrian-refugees-no-bigger-threat-us-tou/print/

Obama says Syrian refugees are no bigger threat to U.S. than ‘tourists’
By Dave Boyer - The Washington Times - Thursday, November 19, 2015

President Obama said Thursday that Syrian refugees are no more dangerous to the U.S. than tourists, and he accused Republican presidential candidates of stoking fears about the refugees and closing the Guantanamo Bay terrorist detention center to score political points.

Speaking to reporters at a summit in the Philippines, Mr. Obama said the "overwhelming numbers" of Syrians who are applying for entry to the U.S. "are children, women, families — themselves victims of terrorism." He said they are already subject to rigorous vetting by U.S. security officials.

"The idea that somehow they pose a more significant threat than all the tourists who pour into the United States every single day just doesn't jive with reality," Mr. Obama said. "So my expectation is after the initial spasm of rhetoric, the people will settle down, take a look at the facts, and we'll be able to proceed."

A majority of governors are opposing Mr. Obama's plan to accept about 10,000 refugees, in light of the Paris terrorist attacks last week. Congress is moving to delay the president's plan; lawmakers also are fighting his goal of closing Guantanamo and bringing detainees to prisons in the U.S.

The White House is threatening to veto a Republican-drafted bill that would suspend the refugee program until security concerns are addressed.

The president said presidential candidates are pandering to Americans' fears about a terrorist attack in the U.S.

"In the aftermath of Paris, I think that there is just a very strong tendency for us to get worked up around issues that don't actually make us safer but make for good political soundbites," he said, "whether it's refugees or Guantanamo, those are [a] handy answer, particularly for folks who aren't interested in engaging in a more serious debate about how we invest in the long, hard slog of dealing with terrorism."

Mr. Obama said the rhetoric around Guantanamo "alienates Muslim-Americans" in the same way that the anti-refugee rhetoric does. He said the detention center "has been an enormous recruitment tool for organizations like" the Islamic State.

"We can keep the American people safe while shutting down that operation," the president said. "We have reduced that population further, and I expect that early by next year we may even have fewer than a hundred people at Guantanamo."

The administration refuted reports Wednesday that it is delaying its plan to shutter Guantanamo, but Mr. Obama said the White House is still working with Congress to reduce the detainee population.

"We are going to go through, meticulously, with Congress, what our options are, why we think this should be closed," he said. "I guarantee you there will be strong resistance."
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline GAJohnnie

Oh please keep talking you idiot! Nothing quite like this idiotic pronouncement from 0 showing up on the same newspaper page as the dozens of stories about terrorist posting as refugees being arrested all over the world

Offline Relic

The American people aren't buying this, in spite of the Obama media and Obama administration selling it.

The question is, what will Republicans do in opposition? Soil themselves?

Offline Millee

He's insane. 

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline musiclady

The American people aren't buying this, in spite of the Obama media and Obama administration selling it.

Ted Cruz is taking a tough stand.

And he's a Republican.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline musiclady

Dangerously insane.

He truly wants to destroy America.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Relic

Ted Cruz is taking a tough stand.

And he's a Republican.

One guy. There may be a few more. But, as a group, nothing.

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
He's insane.

I will say this: Syrian refugees are no bigger threat to America than Obama is.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 04:07:56 pm by Scottftlc »
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Hussein is obviously a Muslim. I get that.
Obama has constantly apologized for and in some cases supported terrorists and terrorists' causes his entire time in office.

His anti-Christian, anti-Western civilization, and pro-Islam mindset could not be more blatant.

He is obviously a supporter of the Muslim Brotherhood and radical jihad. He has taken on the role of being their foremost apologist in the world. I get that too. Obama likes Muslims who are so radical and dangerous, even other Muslims don't like them and don't want them around.

However, in this case he may have accidentally said something right. If he is saying that Muslim tourists are as dangerous as the so called refugees, then he has finally at last said something that I can agree with.

That is why all Muslims should be banned, tourists or otherwise, like Obama said, they are all dangerous.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline GourmetDan

Re: Obama says Syrian refugees are no bigger threat to U.S. than ‘tourists’
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2015, 04:28:06 pm »
He's insane.

I think he's beyond that.  A person who is insane cannot distinguish between good and evil.

If Bammy was just insane, he would make a mistake that turned out good from time to time... no... this guy is deliberately evil...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2015, 04:34:35 pm »
How about based on Obama's remarks, substantially curtailing tourism from Islamic countries, while also pausing refugee relocation as well ??

Do so and we are more safe, which should be his concern.

He effectively gambles with our safety almost taunting us; "some of you are going to get hurt with MY policies, so what difference does it make if it is tourists or refugees ??
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online mountaineer

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2015, 04:58:36 pm »
Who among us hasn't taken a vacation trip with nothing more on our minds than blowing up a theatre or sports arena in the foreign country we're visiting? There probably is a special section in the Fodor's and Frommer's travel books about "terrorist tourism."
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2015, 05:02:43 pm »
I think he's beyond that.  A person who is insane cannot distinguish between good and evil.

If Bammy was just insane, he would make a mistake that turned out good from time to time... no... this guy is deliberately evil...

Yep!   :beer:
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online andy58-in-nh

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2015, 05:31:40 pm »
He's insane.

Delusional, perhaps. But moreover, he's stubborn. Ineducable. Conceited. Prejudiced. Defensive. In a nutshell, he's This Guy:

"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline aligncare

« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2015, 05:41:08 pm »

Apparently, republicans will – as reflected by the sharp rise in his polls after the Paris ISIS attack – vote for Trump.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2015, 05:43:57 pm »
I will say this: Syrian refugees are no bigger threat to America than Obama is.

Zingg!

rangerrebew

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2015, 06:18:08 pm »

Obama Says Syrian Refugees No More Dangerous Than Tourists; 14 of the 19 9/11 Hijackers Had Tourist Visas

By Aaron Goldstein on 11.19.15 | 12:58PM

In his latest salvo on Syrian refugees, President Obama declared they pose no more threat to the United States than tourists. While at the APEC Conference in Manila, Obama stated, “The idea that somehow they pose a more significant threat than all the tourists who pour into the United States every single day just doesn’t jive with reality.”

Turkish authorities evidently disagree with Obama's assessment. Yesterday, they arrested eight people affiliated with ISIS posing as Syrian refugees who had just flown into Istanbul from Casablanca. I wonder if any of them said, "We'll always have Paris." These aren't exactly your average tourists.

Then again some tourists can be dangerous. After all, 14 of the 19 9/11 hijackers were in this country on tourist visas.

The bottom line is that President Obama is doing a lot of talking about Syrian refugees. But nothing he says is inspiring confidence or reassurance in an anxious nation.

The American Spectator Foundation is the 501(c)(3) organization responsible for publishing The American Spectator magazine and training aspiring journalists who espouse traditional American values. Your contributions are tax deductible to the extent permitted by law. Each donor receives a year-end summary of their giving for tax purposes.

Copyright 2013, The American Spectator. All rights reserved.
Source URL: http://spectator.org/blog/64719/obama-says-syrian-refugees-no-more-dangerous-tourists-14-19-911-hijackers-had-tourist

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2015, 01:30:26 am »
The White House is an awfully big facility.  If Barry thinks that Syrian Refugees are no more dangerous than tourists; I'm sure he won't mind them staying at the White House.  While he's busy pretending to be commander in chief, I'm sure Michelle and the girls would be more than happy to welcome them and help them get settled into their new home!  They have nothing to worry about as I'm sure that the refugees staying with them will have been properly vetted and pose no risk to their safety.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 01:31:28 am by libertybele »
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2015, 09:16:10 pm »

:hands: :hands: :hands: :hands: :hands: :hands: :hands: :hands: :hands: :hands: :hands: :hands: :hands: :hands:
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online mountaineer

« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2015, 01:47:16 am »
Former U.S. Secret Service agent Dan Bongino writes on his Facebook page:
Daniel Bongino
3 hrs ·

Here's what President Obama is not telling you. Our ability to throughly vet Syrian refugees, and guarantee that terrorists are not hiding among them, is limited at best.

When I was a young Secret Service agent investigating bank and credit card fraud cases we would, occasionally, come across an Arabic name. The federal databases to search these names properly were so limited that we used private companies to gather information on the subjects (i.e. Lexis-Nexis and the former Auto-trak), and even those databases were severely limited. Keep in mind that these were people living IN the United States, and many were U.S. citizens.

President Obama absolutely knows about these dangerous limitations on our ability to "vet" these people and, unbelievably, he presses forward with his cheap political rhetoric, knowing it has the potential for putting Americans in grave danger.

This isn't bad leadership, it's dangerous leadership.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org