Author Topic: Why Republicans Aren't Sold on Rubio  (Read 1869 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Why Republicans Aren't Sold on Rubio
« on: November 20, 2015, 02:22:04 pm »
http://www.bloombergview.com/articles/2015-11-19/republicans-aren-t-sold-on-marco-rubio

Why Republicans Aren't Sold on Rubio
182 Nov 19, 2015 4:05 PM EST
By Jonathan Bernstein

Republicans are supposedly even more worried that Donald Trump or Ben Carson could win their presidential nomination. Yet the one thing they could do about it -- send a clear signal in support of a single alternative -- still hasn’t happened.

The obvious choice at this point would seem to be Marco Rubio, the only true coalition-style candidate remaining in the contest. He has been steadily gaining in the endorsements race ever since September.

But compared with other cycles, Republican party actors are well behind their pace: They’re mostly sitting on their hands.

Why? It’s hard to explain something that isn’t happening, but here are several reasons they may be holding back:

1. Perhaps these Republicans are a lot less worried about Trump (and Carson) than they appear to be. If so, they may believe the nomination will be in relatively safe hands, and may be holding out in order to retain leverage over all the candidates.

2. It’s possible the party actors are shying away from Rubio because of his previous support for comprehensive immigration reform. Some may oppose him on the issue; others may be concerned that a candidate with his history will find it hard to win over Republican voters.

3. Maybe there's something they know about Rubio that we don't know that's making them hesitate.

4. It’s also possible Rubio isn’t impressing people in person. The endorsements game isn’t all about individual impressions, but a lot of these people -- not just politicians, but also campaign and governing professionals, donors and activists, formal party officials and staff, party-aligned interest group leaders and the partisan press -- spend time with the candidates, and their choices may be personal, regardless of what makes sense for the party. After all: If Rubio becomes president, they have to live (and work) with him.

5. Perhaps it isn't about Rubio at all. Maybe some high-profile Republicans just don’t want to get involved. Parties normally care intensely about nomination politics. If they don't this year, something has gone seriously wrong with the Republican Party.

6. Or maybe the Republican party actors are moving in a certain direction, but they are just moving slowly. After a 12-day drought, Rubio picked up endorsements from House Republicans on Wednesday and Thursday. He’s still behind Jeb Bush in the race for major endorsements, but he’s passed everyone else in the Republican field and is gaining. So maybe by New Year’s Day, it will be obvious that Rubio is the party’s choice, and it won’t matter much that it took a few extra months.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline GAJohnnie

Re: Why Republicans Aren't Sold on Rubio
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2015, 02:23:12 pm »
Because his record indicates he is an unprincipled opportunist. We have enough unprincipled opportunist in leadership positions in DC. We do not need to send them another one.

Offline Relic

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2015, 02:32:22 pm »
Because his record indicates he is an unprincipled opportunist. We have enough unprincipled opportunist in leadership positions in DC. We do not need to send them another one.

Exactly. That's what I see, and that's why I don't want Rubio.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2015, 02:38:06 pm »
2. It’s possible the party actors are shying away from Rubio because of his previous support for comprehensive immigration reform. Some may oppose him on the issue; others may be concerned that a candidate with his history will find it hard to win over Republican voters.

Yeah. Instead, Republican voters are kissing the butt of a man with a history of supporting partial-birth abortion, Hillary Clinton, Barack Obama, is itching to tax the rich to the max, and wants to brand Muslims with a scarlet letter.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2015, 02:38:57 pm »

Are you talking about Trump? 

Offline Relic

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2015, 02:49:28 pm »

Are you so fixated that every thread has to be about Trump?
Go ahead, sell Rubio. Lay out why he's so far superior.

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2015, 02:56:26 pm »

Nice. I spit my coffee on that one.  :silly:
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2015, 03:01:08 pm »
Are you so fixated that every thread has to be about Trump?
Go ahead, sell Rubio. Lay out why he's so far superior.

He's not a blowhard who laces his speeches with profanity and personal attacks.   That's about 60% of why I support Rubio.
He also knows more about foreign policy and articulates it better than ANY of the other candidates.

When someone who supports Trump trashes Rubio and calls him "unprincipled" that's what, in baseball, is called a hanging curve.  Too easy to knock out of the park.

Offline Relic

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2015, 03:13:46 pm »
He's not a blowhard who laces his speeches with profanity and personal attacks.   That's about 60% of why I support Rubio.
He also knows more about foreign policy and articulates it better than ANY of the other candidates.

When someone who supports Trump trashes Rubio and calls him "unprincipled" that's what, in baseball, is called a hanging curve.  Too easy to knock out of the park.

In chess, it's known as a stalemate. You bash Trump, he bashes Rubio, no ground is gained or lost.

I like what Trump brought to the campaign, but I think his intention could have been to be a stalking horse. When he saw the opportunity for more, he grabbed on. But that's only a guess. Trump won't be president. Not if what I see and hear around me is any indication.

I don't care for Rubio, because he fits the description GAJohnnie posted.

Anyone is better than Hillary. The candidate who appeals most to me right now, but I'm not sold yet, is Ted Cruz. We'll have to differ there, I know what you think of Cruz.

Offline GAJohnnie

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2015, 03:45:52 pm »

Got it. A slick talking smooth con man is to be supported simply because his is not the vulgar, blow hard. Forget that Rubio would be a Bush type Establishment "Business as usual" Republican. Forget he would be a total disaster as President. Just focus on how well spoken he is!

Funny that the same thing GOP media types said about Obama in 2008. Don't look at the substance , just look at the style!

Offline GAJohnnie

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2015, 03:48:35 pm »
Got it. Anyone who does not worship your candidate of choice "supports Trump"

NO, I am looking at the substance of the candidates, not merely going into your sort of habitual daily hysteric scream fits just because I dislike a certain candidate campaign style.

Conservative use to be about "Substance over Style". Sad to see that is changing.

Offline GAJohnnie

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2015, 03:50:58 pm »

This is the sort of personal attack, hysteric posting I see on Leftist websites. Are you sure you are not on the wrong side?

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2015, 03:52:06 pm »

Got it. A slick talking smooth con man is to be supported simply because his is not the vulgar, blow hard. Forget that Rubio would be a Bush type Establishment "Business as usual" Republican. Forget he would be a total disaster as President. Just focus on how well spoken he is!

Funny that the same thing GOP media types said about Obama in 2008. Don't look at the substance , just look at the style!

GAJohnnie - you're on fire today - some great posts!  Trump doesn't look or speak the part of a "distinguished statesman".    :silly: :silly: :silly:

It's like, I hate the direction this country is going - so I'm going to vote for someone that's been working in that corrupt system - so he will change the way things are in Washington DC - because.....wait for it......he will know how to get things done!   :silly: :silly: :silly:

Thanks GAJ - you can say it better than I can.   :beer:

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2015, 03:53:00 pm »
I don't get to vote until March 1 2016. Still more than 4 months down the road at this point but assuming nothing changes I will cast that vote for Ted Cruz.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2015, 04:17:01 pm »

I think he's got some principles, but they're a bit squishy.  This is not a time for squish. 

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2015, 04:18:33 pm »

Because you don't like Trump you support Rubio?   :shrug:

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2015, 04:41:22 pm »

Funny, I think of Ted Cruz as a smooth talking con man.  He is not liked or respected by his colleagues, which tells me all I need to know about how he will work with the Congress.

No thanks.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2015, 04:43:30 pm »
This is the sort of personal attack, hysteric posting I see on Leftist websites. Are you sure you are not on the wrong side?

Trump is the KING of personal attacks and hysteria.  Ask him.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2015, 04:44:54 pm »
Because you don't like Trump you support Rubio?   :shrug:

No.  I like Rubio best.

But, because I DESPISE Trump I'd vote for anybody else.

Offline Relic

« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2015, 04:47:58 pm »
Funny, I think of Ted Cruz as a smooth talking con man.  He is not liked or respected by his colleagues, which tells me all I need to know about how he will work with the Congress.

No thanks.

But his colleagues are, for the most part, sell outs and criminals. So, that might actually be something that recommends him.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2015, 04:49:21 pm »

No thanks.

I think of Ted Cruz and the only truly HONEST politician I have ever encountered!  And as to "He is not liked or respected by his colleagues, which tells me all I need to know about how he will work with the Congress." I draw a vastly different conclusion from that than you do!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2015, 04:51:11 pm »
But his colleagues are, for the most part, sell outs and criminals. So, that might actually be something that recommends him.

EGGSACTLY!!  :beer:

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2015, 04:58:01 pm »

Yes.  Every single Republican and Democrat but Cruz is a "sell out and a criminal." 

Do you know how nutty that is?  Of course, Cruz thinks that of himself cuz he's a narcissist like Obama, but an external observer would say he doesn't work well with others and won't get much done in Congress.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2015, 05:00:01 pm »
I think of Ted Cruz and the only truly HONEST politician I have ever encountered!  And as to "He is not liked or respected by his colleagues, which tells me all I need to know about how he will work with the Congress." I draw a vastly different conclusion from that than you do!

Of course you do.  Just how much has Cruz accomplished in three years in Congress?  Name one bill that he's sponsored that's passed.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2015, 05:02:18 pm »
Yes.  Every single Republican and Democrat but Cruz is a "sell out and a criminal." 

Do you know how nutty that is?  Of course, Cruz thinks that of himself cuz he's a narcissist like Obama, but an external observer would say he doesn't work well with others and won't get much done in Congress.

Do you know how to read English?  Do you know how nutty the fact that you obviously don't  makes you look?

- J. R. R. Tolkien