Author Topic: Trump Says We Need ‘Some Governmental Program’ To Help Make College Affordable  (Read 5429 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Speaking during a town hall meeting in Iowa Thursday, Republican frontrunner Donald Trump told the crowd the way to make college affordable for students is “to start some governmental program.”

“Well the only way you can do it is you have to start some governmental program and you have governmental programs right now,” Trump told the crowd....

...“You know the one program that the U.S. makes a whole lot of money with is student loans,” Trump added, “and that’s maybe the one program they shouldn’t be making money with. So we’re going to have to start a program. We’re going to do something very big with loans because you have to get these people going. They really feel down and out.”

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2015/11/20/trump-says-we-need-some-governmental-program-to-help-make-college-affordable/#ixzz3s2MsMZiZ

Offline NavyCanDo

Again, with another comment sounding more like Hillary.

The biggest contributor we have with the rising cost of a college education is the Government, and their  No Child Left Behind – all roads lead to college program, which is directly leading to over-crowded campuses staffed by  very liberal professors, and students racking up heavy student loans that they will not be able to pay off for years.  Not every child needs college – and I would go so far as saying the majority do not.  Trade Schools should be the emphasis, and not government run, but instead subsidized by Industry that needs skilled workers.   
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline kevindavis007

Again, with another comment sounding more like Hillary.

The biggest contributor we have with the rising cost of a college education is the Government, and their  No Child Left Behind – all roads lead to college program, which is directly leading to over-crowded campuses staffed by  very liberal professors, and students racking up heavy student loans that they will not be able to pay off for years.  Not every child needs college – and I would go so far as saying the majority do not.  Trade Schools should be the emphasis, and not government run, but instead subsidized by Industry that needs skilled workers.   

Rubio is righy, we need more welders and less philosophers
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Online mountaineer

Just about every college student nowadays gets a government-guaranteed loan. The colleges know the money will be there, so they raise tuition and fees even higher - and then the kiddies have to borrow even more.

Edit to add: And then there are the salaries, e.g., the new president of Marshall University (in case no one's heard of it, it's in Huntington, W.Va.), who will receive $430,000 per year plus innumerable perks. Thank goodness for some sensible institutions of higher education, like Hillsdale, Grove City College and College of the Ozarks.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 09:23:01 pm by mountaineer »
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
Just about every college student nowadays gets a government-guaranteed loan. The colleges know the money will be there, so they raise tuition and fees even higher - and then the kiddies have to borrow even more.

The entire thing makes me sick, and it really highlights the sociopathic tendencies of our government. Instead of finding ways to make it easier and more affordable for young people to get an education, the government squeezes every penny possible out of economically illiterate young adults that are just trying to get started.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 09:02:43 pm by Dexter »
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
The entire thing makes me sick, and it really highlights the sociopathic tendencies of our government. Instead of finding ways to make it easier and more affordable for young people to get an education, the government squeezes every penny possible out of economically illiterate young adults that are just trying to get started.
You don't need a college degree to be a welder, or a great many good paying vocations.

The notion that everybody should go to college is a big hoax, pushed by educators, but it misleads "young adults that are just trying to get started."

Since educators are predominantly liberals, they bear responsibility for this misinformation.

And don't try to snow me with the idea he/she will lead a more fulfilling life as a welder, if he/she has a liberal arts degree either.

The entire thing is a giant rip-off, by the "government business. "

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Rubio is right, we need more welders and less philosophers

On that  he is entirely right! And you can throw in electricians, plumbers, AC techs, and many other professional trades as well!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Dexter

You don't need a college degree to be a welder, or a great many good paying vocations.

No, but you do need to go to college for a great many jobs, and that number will only go up as we become a more advanced civilization. It is definitely untrue that all people can or should go to college, but it definitely is true that many, many people can or should go to college. How many of you have bright young children/grandchildren that have aspirations of going to college and landing their dream job? Do you encourage them to chase their dreams, or do you tell them they should be more practical and pick up welding instead?

And don't try to snow me with the idea he/she will lead a more fulfilling life as a welder, if he/she has a liberal arts degree either.

No, but I bet he/she will lead a more fulfilling life conquering his/her dreams rather than settling for a blue collar job that he/she is uninterested in.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 09:26:53 pm by Dexter »
-Socrates

Online mountaineer

Quite agree, Bigun. A young person would be smart to pursue training in HVAC, auto and truck repair, computer repair and the like.

I wish I had taken another path after high school!

Offline Paladin

But, guys, if we don't get as many young people to go to college as we can, how will we be able to indoctrinate them into Liberalism? Then when they graduate they can pose as being well educated even though for the most part they are little more than well trained robots.
Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.

Offline Dexter

I went to college. I got my bachelor's degree in meteorology. I couldn't land my dream job—or any job other than the one I still had in high school. Looking back, going to college was a huge mistake. (And that was what I thought was the SAFE route! Most everyone else said I should have pursued a musical career; I can only imagine how much of a disaster that would have been.) Fortunately I was able to keep my debt down and manageable.

If I ever had a kid, which is impossible because modern decent women don't fall for guys of my social class anyway, I would absolutely advise him or her to go into a field that makes a lot of money or has virtually guaranteed work. The way things are going, nurses and health aides are probably going to be the only ones that fit that description soon. (That, of course, means men have a very dim future.)

Sometimes you get burned; that's just how life is. That doesn't mean young people shouldn't chase their dreams with everything they have. Life is all about doing the things you love with what little time you're given. If you predetermine your limitations you will never know what your true potential is.
-Socrates

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
No, but you do need to go to college for a great many jobs, and that number will only go up as we become a more advanced civilization. It is definitely untrue that all people can or should go to college, but it definitely is true that many, many people can or should go to college. How many of you have bright young children/grandchildren that have aspirations of going to college and landing their dream job? Do you encourage them to chase their dreams or do you tell them they should be more practical and pick up welding instead?

No, but I bet he/she will lead a more fulfilling life conquering his/her dreams rather than settling for a blue collar job that he/she is uninterested in.
I went to college. I got my bachelor's degree in meteorology. I couldn't land my dream job—or any job other than the one I still had in high school. Looking back, going to college was a huge mistake. (And that was what I thought was the SAFE route! Most everyone else said I should have pursued a musical career; I can only imagine how much of a disaster that would have been.) Fortunately I was able to keep my debt down and manageable. But I learned the hard way: without inside connections, degrees are worthless. Furthermore, they have a shelf life: the longer you're out of school, the less employers will consider you, and it's not like you can just go back and get another one in the same field.

If I ever had a kid, which is impossible because modern decent women don't fall for guys of my social class anyway, I would absolutely advise him or her to go into a field that makes a lot of money or has virtually guaranteed work. The way things are going, nurses and health aides are probably going to be the only ones that fit that description soon. (That, of course, means men have a very dim future.) I'd also advise him or her to save their money, live modestly, and when they make enough money, quit that job, then follow their dream.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline sinkspur

No, but you do need to go to college for a great many jobs, and that number will only go up as we become a more advanced civilization. It is definitely untrue that all people can or should go to college, but it definitely is true that many, many people can or should go to college. How many of you have bright young children/grandchildren that have aspirations of going to college and landing their dream job? Do you encourage them to chase their dreams, or do you tell them they should be more practical and pick up welding instead?

Dreams to become a lawyer or a mortgage banker?  Or dreams to drive a truck or start a little business?  College degrees are only a requirement in most careers because some HR grunt says so.  College degree programs riddled with diversity courses,  feminist studies and identity politics are worthless.  Most of what I learned in college I got through outside reading and my liberal arts degree did me no good in my IT sales career. Maybe it helped my ability to form a coherent sentence, but that's about it.

I think every kid should be encouraged to chase their dreams but not ridiculed because those dreams don't include college.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
I went to college. I got my bachelor's degree in meteorology. I couldn't land my dream job—or any job other than the one I still had in high school. Looking back, going to college was a huge mistake. (And that was what I thought was the SAFE route! Most everyone else said I should have pursued a musical career; I can only imagine how much of a disaster that would have been.) Fortunately I was able to keep my debt down and manageable. But I learned the hard way: without inside connections, degrees are worthless. Furthermore, they have a shelf life: the longer you're out of school, the less employers will consider you, and it's not like you can just go back and get another one in the same field.

If I ever had a kid, which is impossible because modern decent women don't fall for guys of my social class anyway, I would absolutely advise him or her to go into a field that makes a lot of money or has virtually guaranteed work. The way things are going, nurses and health aides are probably going to be the only ones that fit that description soon. (That, of course, means men have a very dim future.) I'd also advise him or her to save their money, live modestly, and when they make enough money, quit that job, then follow their dream.

I have a friend who started out to be a lawyer but life happened and he became a Master Plumber instead. Wound up taking over the family business when his dad died suddenly and has made more money than ALL ove his law school buddies over the course of time.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Dexter

Dreams to become a lawyer or a mortgage banker?  Or dreams to drive a truck or start a little business?

If somebody's dream doesn't involve/require a college education then more power to them. People should seek to do what they love regardless of its perceived significance. 

College degrees are only a requirement in most careers because some HR grunt says so.  College degree programs riddled with diversity courses,  feminist studies and identity politics are worthless.  Most of what I learned in college I got through outside reading and my liberal arts degree did me no good in my IT sales career. Maybe it helped my ability to form a coherent sentence, but that's about it.

Until those HR grunts change their ways that will continue to be the way of the world. That's just how it is and we have to deal with the cards we've been dealt.

I think every kid should be encouraged to chase their dreams but not ridiculed because those dreams don't include college.

Absolutely.
-Socrates

Online massadvj

• Editorial Advisor

Edit to add: And then there are the salaries, e.g., the new president of Marshall University (in case no one's heard of it, it's in Huntington, W.Va.), who will receive $430,000 per year plus innumerable perks. Thank goodness for some sensible institutions of higher education, like Hillsdale, Grove City College and College of the Ozarks.

It is really getting bad.  The universities are taking the windfall and loading up new staff with Democrat patronage jobs.  In the past few years my university has added a Vice President of Diversity, an office of LBGT outreach and a new Office of Social Justice to go along with several other administrative offices that are already bloated with people who do nothing but make-work.  All of this is being paid for on the backs of these kids taking out loans they'd never qualify for except by government guarantees.  Then they graduate, get a job for $35K/year and find they have to pay back a loan that totals more than they make in a year, and also sign up for Obamacare to the tune of $750 per month minimum.

On the other hand, 70 percent of these kids voted for Obama so maybe they are getting what they deserve. 
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 09:53:22 pm by massadvj »

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
It is really getting bad.  The universities are taking the windfall and loading up new staff with Democrat patronage jobs.  In the past few years my university has added a Vice President of Diversity, an office of LBGT outreach and a new Office of Social Justice to go along with several other administrative offices that are already bloated with people who do nothing but make-work.
That's not to mention construction.

When I went to college, there wasn't a moment I went there that there wasn't some major construction project going on. When one would finish, it was right onto the next one. They're still building, tearing down buildings that are barely 50 years old and building new ones just for the sake of building new ones, it seems, just to keep the construction unions occupied.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
That's not to mention construction.

When I went to college, there wasn't a moment I went there that there wasn't some major construction project going on. When one would finish, it was right onto the next one. They're still building, tearing down buildings that are barely 50 years old and building new ones just for the sake of building new ones, it seems, just to keep the construction unions occupied.

Oh, they do love new buildings, no doubt about it.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
It is really getting bad.  The universities are taking the windfall and loading up new staff with Democrat patronage jobs.  In the past few years my university has added a Vice President of Diversity, an office of LBGT outreach and a new Office of Social Justice to go along with several other administrative offices that are already bloated with people who do nothing but make-work.  All of this is being paid for on the backs of these kids taking out loans they'd never qualify for except by government guarantees.  Then they graduate, get a job for $35K/year and find they have to pay back the loan and also sign up for Obamacare to the tume of $750 per month minimum.

On the other hand, 70 percent of these kids voted for Obama so maybe they are getting what they deserve.

How many of your incoming freshmen have to spend a lot of their time and the taxpayer's money taking remedial courses just to get to the point where they can actually DO college level work?

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline NavyCanDo

I would never ever mention this to my wife for obvious reasons, but she went to college (paid for by her dad), and I went from High School directly into the Navy, never attending college, and never really wanting to because of my vocational aspirations - which was to be a police officer after the Navy, or work at the Naval ship yard where my dad and brother worked. Well neither of those career paths happened, but through hard work and determination I landed a job in aerospace and today pull in 84K, and adding to that on average another $2000 a year raise.       My wife with her college degree, in her best year of employment  made 24K.   
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
I stopped at "Trump Says...."

:whistle:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

The notion that everybody should go to college is a big hoax, pushed by educators, but it misleads "young adults that are just trying to get started."

Since educators are predominantly liberals, they bear responsibility for this misinformation.

Liberals and cronyists have been pushing for requiring trade certifications for as many jobs as possible to make sure you can't go do something on your own. Even in Texas, one can't braid hair or even be an interior decorator without a trade certificate issued by just a handful of schools. Heck, there is even a certificate requirement for bathing horses. Government isn't the solution, it is the problem.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Oh, they do love new buildings, no doubt about it.

And if it' anything like it is here not one of those buildings is actually usable when the university get's them!  Have to spend MANY $$ out of the local maintenance budget to make them usabe before anyone can actually move in.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online mountaineer

How many of your incoming freshmen have to spend a lot of their time and the taxpayer's money taking remedial courses just to get to the point where they can actually DO college level work?
At the small state college where my husband worked until his retirement a few months ago, fully 50% of incoming freshman require remedial classes. This college is not particularly selective, needless to say, but even the "good" students are barely literate. Just look at the typical college student newspaper - and then compare it to the student newspaper of our parents' day. Shocking and terrifying.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
At the small state college where my husband worked until his retirement a few months ago, fully 50% of incoming freshman require remedial classes. This college is not particularly selective, needless to say, but even the "good" students are barely literate. Just look at the typical college student newspaper - and then compare it to the student newspaper of our parents' day. Shocking and terrifying.

And IMHO not by accident!

- J. R. R. Tolkien