Author Topic: Michelle Obama dances the Conga while hosting Broadway workshop for performing arts students in the White House [my add: before the Paris blood even has dried]  (Read 718 times)

Offline mountaineer

Michelle Obama dances the Conga while hosting Broadway workshop for performing arts students in the White House
By Associated Press and Dailymail.com Reporter
Published: 00:22 EST, 17 November 2015  | Updated: 11:59 EST, 17 November 2015
Michelle Obama brought Broadway and some of its brightest stars to the White House on Monday to host a workshop and celebrate performing arts students from around the country.

Gloria Estefan, legendary composer Andrew Llyod Webber, Whoopi Goldberg, and Glee star Matthew Morrison were just some of the big names welcomed to the East Room on Monday. Estefan sang music from On Your Feet!, a show based on the story of her life, and Morrison sang music from Finding Neverland.

Other performances featured music from Fun Home, An American in Paris, School of Rock, and Something Rotten.

The first lady told the 40 'extraordinary' high school students that her famous guests were there to help them.

'These folks are here today to honor you and to hopefully inspire you,' she said.

'They're also here with an important message for you about what it takes to succeed, not just on Broadway, but in life', she said, according to the Huffington Post.

The students participated in workshops on acting, directing, singing, costume design, makeup and musical composition. And Obama made sure to show off some of her famous moves while dancing with Estefan and choreographer Sergio Trujillo to the singer's hit song Conga. ...

Full story and more photos at Daily Mail (U.K.)

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline mountaineer

10-year-old Bobbi MacKenzie ‘Rocks’ out at the White House
By Cindy Adams
November 17, 2015 | 7:21pm
Bobbi MacKenzie sang at the White House Monday. You don’t know Bobbi MacKenzie? Oh, please. 12,208 theatergoers a week do. At the Winter Garden. Bobbi stops the show cold every performance in “School of Rock — The Musical.”

Next month Bobbi is 11. She’s 4-foot-4. My eyelashes weigh more. Clear, straight out, this peanut announces: “I’m from Portland [Oregon]. My mother’s a disc jockey there. I have two sisters. I’m singing since I’m 3. I sang the national anthem for the NBA Trail Blazers.

“My mother took me to auditions, and my father, who’s in New York with me, called the team and asked could I sing there.”

Before hearing this kid’s whole career, which is already longer than Aretha Franklin’s, I asked about the White House.

“We learned about it last week. I started crying and laughing. I wore a new navy blue dress with buckles. Us kids plus backup singers went by bus after our show, got in at midnight and stayed over at a hotel, then we walked to the White House.

“I was to sing our big number ‘If Only You Would Listen’ at 5 o’clock after we rehearsed. Just going through security 10 a.m., checking our bags, took an hour.

“Mrs. Obama also wore blue, light blue. She said hello, then asked, ‘How do you wish someone luck in show business?’ I told her, ‘Say, “Break a leg,” ’ so she touched me on the head, high-fived me, hugged me and said, ‘Break a leg.’

“She laughed and applauded. I was a little nervous. I prayed beforehand as I always do and just thought about what I had to do. On my solo, I breathe hard so sometimes I do breathing exercises. I like the audience laughing. And the applause is exciting.”

This crew brought two child wranglers, musicians, plus costumers because Bobbi & Co. changed into their little plaid pleated professional “Rock” skirts.

Price being no object in terms of free entertainment, 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. prepped a very un-Michelle-like mac ’n’ cheese, chips, fried whatever and soda barbecue buffet lunch.

And manners being no object in terms of visiting the prez, Bobbi & Co. used every free minute texting on their cellphones.
NY Post
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
I see Michelle is, once again, the manliest guy in the room.

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline famousdayandyear

I see Michelle is, once again, the manliest guy in the room.

Our first [fill in blank] keeping it classy.

Offline aligncare

Performing arts students. Great. Just what we need – more actors and musicians. America doesn't have enough of those, right?

I guess a workshop for engineering or math students would be "too white and too Asian" and too boring for wookie.