Author Topic: Gowdy: ‘What I’m Really Afraid of Is a Foreign Policy That Creates More Widows and Orphans’  (Read 341 times)

rangerrebew

Gowdy: ‘What I’m Really Afraid of Is a Foreign Policy That Creates More Widows and Orphans’

(CNSNews.com) – At a House Judiciary Subcommittee on Immigration and Border Security hearing Thursday on the Syrian refugee crisis, Rep. Trey Gowdy (R-S.C.) said what he’s “really afraid of is a foreign policy that creates more widows and orphans.”

“The president says we’re scared of widows and orphans. With all due respect to him, what I’m really afraid of is a foreign policy that creates more widows and orphans, so where maybe he ought to start … is a foreign policy in the Middle East, including Syria, where people can go back to their homelands, which is their preference, go back to their homelands,” Gowdy said.

As CNSNews.com previously reported [1], during a visit to Manila, Philippines, where he attended the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) summit, Obama mocked Republicans, saying GOP presidential candidates are “scared of widows and orphans coming into the United States of America.”

“But apparently they’re scared of widows and orphans coming into the United States of America as part of our tradition of compassion,” he said. “At first, they were too scared of the press being too tough on them during debates. Now they’re worried about three-year-old orphans. That doesn’t sound very tough to me.”

Gowdy said the president should defeat the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS), whom Obama referred to as the junior varsity (JV) team.

“Maybe you ought to defeat that JW team that you thought you had contained. That would be the very best thing you could do to help people who aspire to a better life,” Gowdy said.

“CIA director [John] Brennan said what happened in France was not a one-off event. We also know ISIS terrorists are intent on attacking America and our allies, including here,” Gowdy said. “Director Brennan said ISIS has an external agenda they are determined to carry out.

“Another administration official said, ‘I wouldn’t put it past ISIS to infiltrate operatives among refugees, so that’s a huge concern of ours.’ Those are not the words of some GOP presidential hopeful. Those are the words of our very own intelligence officials who serve this administration,” Gowdy added.

Those in charge of U.S. foreign policy “seem more interested in treating the symptoms,” instead of addressing “the underlying pathology that results in displaced people,” Gowdy said. “There are refugees from the Middle East and northern Africa, because those regions are on fire and riddled with chaos, and our bright lines and policies of containment and smart power or whatever we call it today have failed.”

Gowdy said the ISIS “terrorists took the lives of over 100 innocent people in France, and injured many more for no other reason than the fact that they could.”

“They killed 100 because they couldn’t kill 1,000, and their objective is evil for the sake of evil. It is murder for the sake of murder. It is wanton and willful violence, premeditated depravity, calculated to take as many innocent lives as possible,” he added.
Source URL: http://cnsnews.com/news/article/melanie-hunter/gowdy-what-im-really-afraid-foreign-policy-creates-more-widows-and