Author Topic: Ryan plotting 'meaningless show vote' on refugees. New speaker talks tough but won't pull trigger on crucial weapon  (Read 1783 times)

Offline GourmetDan

The Republicans have been dealt a HUGE winning hand - Royal flush vs a pair of deuces -  on this and NEED to go the mat with it! Pull out ALL of the stops!

The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party.   

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
The Republicans have been dealt a HUGE winning hand - Royal flush vs a pair of deuces -  on this and NEED to go the mat with it! Pull out ALL of the stops!

I don't think the Democrats even have a pair...(Ha!)...I think they are holding 2-4-6-7-8 in this hand.  This issue WINS for Republicans if they play their hand.
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Offline Longiron

Where are all of the "Give him a chance" people we had posting around here?

They are to busy bashing TRUMP. Indicated he would screw the AMERICAN people by end of year and guess what? Where is the RINO Freedom Cacus? Counting their new found dollars except for the 5 that voted against RYAN. **nononono*
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 05:45:58 pm by Longiron »

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
I don't think the Democrats even have a pair...(Ha!)...I think they are holding 2-4-6-7-8 in this hand.  This issue WINS for Republicans if they play their hand.

I agree! But the $64 Billion question is WILL they play their hand!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
That's a tad callous - the dead won't care if Obama is blamed and Obama won't give a crap about the dead outside of the photo-ops he might have at their funerals.  If Congress does not lay down everything to stop this, they become complicit with Obama on the policy...because they will have failed to take it seriously.  Go along to get along won't work. A government shutdown is not needed, given the security situation it is not advisable in any way.  But they need to force a veto from Obama and if enough Democrats can not be compelled to go along with an over-ride, they need to give up their big Holiday break and keep sending it to him for more vetoes - one after the other - while the Governors hang strong.  They need to keep making a stand on this, stop all other Congressional action to focus solely on this - every veto and every failed over-ride vote gets covered, every time they bring it up it is debated and it gives all the Republican presidential candidates get a platform.  Make it a cause, because every Obama veto is a stake in Hillary's heart.  Keep Congress focused on just this issue and make Obama keep vetoing it over and over and over.  Public pressure may force Democrats to retreat on this...and if not, they will have to go into next year with this hung tightly around their necks.

Real political strategy v. the other alternative of farting in their general direction.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Real political strategy v. the other alternative of farting in their general direction.

They equivalent of not passing and putting bills on the presidents desk because you know he will just veto them!  Sheer Idiocy!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Relic

This! National Security is an issue that even LIVs trust Republicans more than Democrats. Make this front and center. Let the LIVs see what exactly Democrats will do to them. And beyond politics, keep us safe for crying out loud.

Offline GourmetDan

This! National Security is an issue that even LIVs trust Republicans more than Democrats. Make this front and center. Let the LIVs see what exactly Democrats will do to them. And beyond politics, keep us safe for crying out loud.

The right thing to do isn't hard to figure out.

Advancing the globalist agenda while deceiving the American people isn't hard either... just say "That's not who we are as a people"...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
They equivalent of not passing and putting bills on the presidents desk because you know he will just veto them!  Sheer Idiocy!

And that is the thing I've never understood...why don't they force vetoes? They keep crying about the possibility of shutting down the govt and how it will hurt the GOP. We've shut down the govt how many times since Obama has been in office, 2 or 3, and guess what? REPUBLICANS ARE IN THE MAJORITY OF BOTH HOUSES.

These little GOPe asshats keep trying to slip that canard past us and it holds no water. Right now, we have a perfect storm opportunity to damage both Obama and Hillary while helping our candidates to get that third branch of govt under our control, and so far the GOP is too afraid to use it.

I don't get it.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 05:56:34 pm by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
And that is the thing I've never understood...why don't they force vetoes? They keep crying about the possibility of shutting down the govt and how it will hurt the GOP. We've shut down the govt how many times since Obama has been in office, 2 or 3, and guess what? REPUBLICANS ARE IN THE MAJORITY OF BOTH HOUSES.

These little GOPe asshats keep trying to slip that canard past us and it holds no water. Right now, we have a perfect storm opportunity to damage both Obama and Hillary while helping our candidates to get that third branch of govt under our control, and so far the GOP is too afraid to use it.

I don't get it.

Agree on all counts!  :beer:

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline aligncare

I said give him a chance...but he had better not F*** this up - this is the silver stake to put through Hillary's heart and it can completely neuter Obama and send him over the edge (he's getting near it now, from his latest diatribes) into open insanity.  If Ryan plays patty-cake politics with the Democrats on a toothless statement then I'm done with him for good.  This is THE issue.  This issue destroys the leftists.  He had better wield it with force or he can be tossed on the trash heap with Boehner.

Does Congress have any role in governing any longer...or are they all just too chickenshit to look past their paychecks and payola?

Same here. I wanted and expected Ryan to be Obama's loyal opposition, not his loyal butt boy.

Offline andy58-in-nh

This is an issue where perhaps 90% of the American people oppose letting Syrian immigrants in.

If the GOP can't win on a 90% national security issue, they ought to disband. 
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
This is an issue where perhaps 90% of the American people oppose letting Syrian immigrants in.

If the GOP can't win on a 90% national security issue, they ought to disband.

Yep!  :beer:

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline aligncare

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Offline sinkspur

That position is being much too afraid of taking any action.  What you are saying is the Democrats win no matter what happens.  Not on this issue.  This is THE issue.  This is the place to take a stand - on the security of the United States.  If Obama waits till the last minute and vetoes this, shutting down the government, then you have had weeks to pound your point that the bill to stop this is on Obama's desk.  Obama is sinking himself and taking Hillary with him.  That kind of shutdown - that kind of play - does not go on the Republicans.  That kind of action goes right back onto Obama and by connection Hillary.  The Democrats lose on this issue.  This is the one to force down their throats.

I think you're wrong about this. There is NO INSTANCE of the GOP benefitting when the government shuts down.  There's always a first time, but it's a roll of the dice in this case.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
I think you're wrong about this. There is NO INSTANCE of the GOP benefitting when the government shuts down.  There's always a first time, but it's a roll of the dice in this case.

We've gained the majority of both houses since 2010 despite a couple of shutdown showdowns, and never lost it when we shut it down during the Clinton years. The evidence doesn't support your theory.
The Republic is lost.

Offline sinkspur

We've gained the majority of both houses since 2010 despite a couple of shutdown showdowns, and never lost it when we shut it down during the Clinton years. The evidence doesn't support your theory.

Had it not been for the Obamacare website screwup in 2013, the GOP would have suffered severely.  The public blamed the GOP for the shutdown and the party's favorability numbers dropped 20 points.

I have no doubt, however, that neither McConnell nor Ryan will allow such a foolish outcome.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
Had it not been for the Obamacare website screwup in 2013, the GOP would have suffered severely.  The public blamed the GOP for the shutdown and the party's favorability numbers dropped 20 points.

I have no doubt, however, that neither McConnell nor Ryan will allow such a foolish outcome.

Your scenario is conjecture. Fact is they blamed the GOP because they were manipulated to do so by the MSM, because Boner and McConman had no PR strategy. The favorability polls were smokescreen - the bottom line is it didn't affect enough people to stick in the public's mind. They quickly forgot about it because there were at least a dozen or more Obama screwups closer to home floating out there to grab their attention.

I don't believe on taking a risk of shutting down the govt at the drop of a hat, but this is the time to force a veto, if Ryan will get his PR together and hammer it on the point that the Prez is risking nat'l security for the craven political agenda of gaining more votes for his party down the road via bringing in huge numbers of unvetted refugees and immigrants, it is a good risk to take.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 07:57:14 pm by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.