Author Topic: Obama: 'Shameful' to propose 'religious test' for Syrian refugees  (Read 498 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://thehill.com/policy/national-security/260260-obama-hits-bush-refugee-plan-as-not-american

By Julian Hattem - 11/16/15 11:11 AM EST

President Obama on Monday condemned calls from Republican presidential candidates to only allow Christian refugees from Syria into the United States, describing the push as “shameful” and “not American.”

In a press conference following the G-20 meeting in Antalya, Turkey, Obama dug in his heels on allowing 10,000 new refugees into the country this year despite increasing opposition from conservatives following the terrorist attacks in Paris.

“The people who are fleeing Syria are the most harmed by terrorism, they are the most vulnerable as a consequence of civil war and strife,” Obama said in an unprompted defense of his plan.

Obama’s ire appeared directed at Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) and former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush (R), who over the weekend called for the U.S. to focus on the Christians fleeing the Syrian chaos.

“When I hear folks say that, ‘Maybe we should just admit the Christians but not the Muslims,’ when I hear political leaders suggesting that there would be a religious test for which person who’s fleeing from a war-torn country is admitted, when some of those folks themselves come from families who benefitted from protection when they were fleeing political persecution, that’s shameful,” Obama said.

Cruz’s family is from Cuba. The Texan often mentions how his father sought refuge in the U.S. to flee the repressive Communist island.

Over the weekend, both Cruz and Bush said that the Friday evening attacks in Paris ought to prompt a change in the Obama administration’s plan to admit more Syrian refugees.

“We need to be working to provide a safe haven for those Christians who are being persecuted and facing genocide, and at the same time we shouldn't be letting terrorists into America,” Cruz said at a campaign stop in South Carolina.

"There is no meaningful risk of Christians committing acts of terror,” Cruz added to reporters, according to the Washington Post. “If there were a group of radical Christians pledging to murder anyone who had a different religious view than they, we would have a different national security situation."

Bush took a similar line.

“We should focus our efforts as it relates to the refugees with the Christians that are being slaughtered,” Bush said on CNN’s “State of the Union.”

“That’s not American,” Obama retorted on Monday, without specifically referencing Bush or Cruz by name. “That’s not who we are. We don’t have religious tests to our compassion.”

In what seemed to be a pointed jab at Bush — who has chided Obama and prominent Democrats for refraining to discuss “radical Islam” — the president on Monday offered rare praise for former President George W. Bush.

Obama was “proud,” he said, to hear the former president maintain in the months after 9/11 that the U.S. was not at war with Islam, but rather a specific terrorist group.

“It is good to remember that the United States does not have a religious test and we are a nation of many peoples of different faiths, which mean that we show compassion to everybody,” Obama said. “Those are the universal values we stand for.”

“We have to each of us do our part, and the United States has to step up and do its part,” he added.

On Capitol Hill and cable news shows, conservatives and defense hawks have long questioned the White House’s plan to ramp up the number of refugees allowed into the country. Those concerns appear likely to reach a fever pitch following Friday night’s violence in Paris, which appears to have been carried out by at least one man who slipped into Francewhile posing as a refugee.

Of the more than 4 million Syrian refugees, the U.S. so far has only accepted roughly 2,000, a number that pales in comparison to the millions flowing into Lebanon, Turkey, Jordan and other neighboring countries.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Re: Obama: 'Shameful' to propose 'religious test' for Syrian refugees
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2015, 11:52:28 pm »
Of the more than 4 million Syrian refugees, the U.S. so far has only accepted roughly 2,000, a number that pales in comparison

As we  have just seen, it only takes a handful to kill hundreds.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2015, 12:39:32 am »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2015, 03:14:53 am »
Great graphic, Bigun.

To paraphrase Dirty Harry...  "Do you feel lucky, America?"

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2015, 03:41:01 am »
Great graphic, Bigun.

To paraphrase Dirty Harry...  "Do you feel lucky, America?"

Here's another I think you might like!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2015, 03:47:44 am »
The most shameful thing on earth, next to the Islamic terrorists themselves, is the current president of the United States.
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2015, 03:49:10 am »
The most shameful thing on earth, next to the Islamic terrorists themselves, is the current president of the United States.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Paladin

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2015, 04:34:41 am »
Related: "ISIS Genocide Victims Do Not Include Christians, the State Department Is Poised to Rule"

Piece worth a read at NR: http://www.nationalreview.com/article/427044/christians-isis-genocide-obama-administration

Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.

Offline flowers

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2015, 04:04:00 pm »
yep!

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2015, 04:09:07 pm »
“The people who are fleeing Syria are the most harmed by terrorism, they are the most vulnerable as a consequence of civil war and strife,” Obama said in an unprompted defense of his plan.

What he really means is that he wants to import as many jihadis as possible so that they will initiate a Paris-style attack that will let Spanky confiscate all guns and end 2nd Amendment rights.

Can you imagine a 'reporter' asking him that question in a news conference?  Well... if we had reporters that cared about America...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan