Author Topic: Trump surges among likely Republican primary voters: Reuters/Ipsos poll  (Read 6939 times)

Offline musiclady

Re: Trump surges among likely Republican primary voters: Reuters/Ipsos poll
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2015, 10:28:24 pm »
Perfect quote. Perfect summation.

You're damn we're angry. That is exactly right.
The status-quo is over.

I'm going to repeat what I have said before....

NO good decision is ever based on anger.  Anger can be a motivator to think and make a good decision, but if the decision is made simply based on emotion, it is ALWAYS a bad one.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2015, 10:32:32 pm »
Trump has been leading the polls for over 130 days now. The only other GOP candidates to have done so have gone on to win the nomination (Dole, McCain). So at this point, it appears the nomination is Trump's.

The only way that's gonna change is if someone rises in the polls to knock him out of the lead. Which of Trump's competitors has that potential?

None that I see.

If you pick only favorable polls you can get that 130 day number, and that is what Trump does when he says he's leading in all the polls at his stump speeches.   But trump does not lead on many polls, and you know that and so does he. Real Clear politics clearly shows which polls he leads, and which polls he doesn't.   And perhaps more telling, it shows a polls of each GOP candidate vs. Hillary if the general was held today.

Trump vs. Clinton    Clinton 56, Trump 41   Clinton +15
Carson vs. Clinton    Carson 48, Clinton 50   Clinton +2
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2015, 10:38:56 pm »
Perfect quote. Perfect summation.

You're damn we're angry. That is exactly right.
The status-quo is over.

Yeah.  We're tired of drinking sewer water, so we'll start drinking nuclear waste instead.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 10:40:04 pm by sinkspur »
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2015, 10:54:36 pm »
I hate to say this but the time is fast approaching that if the GOP wants to defeat Trump in the primary most of the candidates are going to have to get out and coalesce behind one challenger.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2015, 10:57:53 pm »
I hate to say this but the time is fast approaching that if the GOP wants to defeat Trump in the primary most of the candidates are going to have to get out and coalesce behind one challenger.

You're exactly right about that.  Unfortunately, Santorum and Huckabee and Graham and Jindal and Paul won't do that.  They somehow think there's lurking support out there for them beyond what every poll has said.

It would be harder, but Fiorina and Christie and Kasich and Jeb have to get out too if there's any chance to beat Trump.  My choice would be Rubio, but if it had to be Cruz, I'd hold my nose and do it.

We simply can't go into a general election with Donald Trump at the head of our ticket.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 10:58:22 pm by sinkspur »

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2015, 11:06:57 pm »
You're exactly right about that.  Unfortunately, Santorum and Huckabee and Graham and Jindal and Paul won't do that.  They somehow think there's lurking support out there for them beyond what every poll has said.

It would be harder, but Fiorina and Christie and Kasich and Jeb have to get out too if there's any chance to beat Trump.  My choice would be Rubio, but if it had to be Cruz, I'd hold my nose and do it.

We simply can't go into a general election with Donald Trump at the head of our ticket.

What if it had to be Carson?  He appears to have the best chance against Hitlery, plus he is second behind Trump at this point.

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2015, 11:08:09 pm »

I agree.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2015, 11:08:50 pm »
What if it had to be Carson?  He appears to have the best chance against Hitlery, plus he is second behind Trump at this point.

He's right above Trump in terms of lack of qualifications.  But, if it meant getting rid of Trump, I'd support him and pray like hell.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2015, 11:17:06 pm »

Completely agree.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2015, 11:19:53 pm »
If any of the other candidates were smart, they would remind voters of this from just a couple months ago.

Donald Trump says U.S. should 'possibly' accept (Syrian) refugees
http://www.cnn.com/2015/09/04/politics/donald-trump-refugee-migrant-crisis-syria/

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2015, 11:22:10 pm »
Vote Hillary and be happy!
I remember a few weeks ago, when you admitted you would vote for a democrat. Are you now saying it again?

We need straight talk with each other here on this site, about such matters.

It helps to understand the character and seriousness of members.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2015, 11:29:01 pm »
He's right above Trump in terms of lack of qualifications.  But, if it meant getting rid of Trump, I'd support him and pray like hell.

Yeah, it does seem to have gotten personal with you regarding Donald Trump.

You were so confident that he'd destroyed himself by now...and we're 90 days out.  And rather than admit you've been out of touch regarding Trump, you now anoint yourself an activist bent on taking his candidacy out.

And 'damnit, if that won't work, I ain't voting for the POS'

....and so on, and so on....... :whistle:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline musiclady

« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2015, 11:35:14 pm »
I remember a few weeks ago, when you admitted you would vote for a democrat. Are you now saying it again?

We need straight talk with each other here on this site, about such matters.

It helps to understand the character and seriousness of members.

Thank you for saying that, truth_seeker.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2015, 11:36:27 pm »
Yeah, it does seem to have gotten personal with you regarding Donald Trump.

You were so confident that he'd destroyed himself by now...and we're 90 days out.  And rather than admit you've been out of touch regarding Trump, you now anoint yourself an activist bent on taking his candidacy out.

And 'damnit, if that won't work, I ain't voting for the POS'

....and so on, and so on....... :whistle:

I'm not out of touch with the country on Trump, just the starry-eyed GOP primary voters who are swayed by emotion.   Every poll taken in the last three months (since your boy loves polls) shows Trump losing to Hillary.

So, yeah, I don't want a loser at the top of the ticket.  And if that means we get rid of a foul-mouthed verbal assassin at the same time, that would be great.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2015, 11:37:09 pm »
I have often heard professional commentators divide the GOP slate into segments, like

--Outsiders-Trump, Fiorina, Carson
--Establishment/economic-Bush, Kasich, Rubio, Trump, Christie
--Conservatives (libertarians)-Cruz, Paul
--Social conservatives-Santorum, Huckabee, Carson, Cruz
--National security-Rubio, Graham

That is an over simplification and I didn't list everybody--and I listed some twice like the commentators

When it inevitably narrows down, who is the consensus final 2, 3, or 4 around here?

Paris shows how quickly an unexpected occurrence can alter the playing field. Logic indicates that today, every one of these people would come out strong on national security.

I hereby declare I will vote for the nominee. Period. I am man enough to admit when I am wrong, and adjust my thinking.

If the consensus of my fellow Republicans/conservatives that they want to run with Donald Trump, I can adapt.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 11:38:55 pm by truth_seeker »
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2015, 12:08:29 am »
I'm going to repeat what I have said before....

NO good decision is ever based on anger.  Anger can be a motivator to think and make a good decision, but if the decision is made simply based on emotion, it is ALWAYS a bad one.

Counterpoint:
NO good decision is ever based on complacency and rote habit, especially if it ALWAYS fails. Only a fool keeps doing what they are doing if they can clearly see it doesn't work.

How did George Costanza put it? If everything I have ever done has been wrong, then the opposite must be right.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2015, 12:42:08 am »
Counterpoint:
NO good decision is ever based on complacency and rote habit, especially if it ALWAYS fails. Only a fool keeps doing what they are doing if they can clearly see it doesn't work.

How did George Costanza put it? If everything I have ever done has been wrong, then the opposite must be right.

There is no complacency involved in being opposed to Trump.  In fact, it is my lack of complacency that makes me so strongly against having him in the Oval Office.  I am sick to death of having a childish narcissist Democrat running the country, and it makes me sick to think that people are considering putting another one just because they're angry.

Use the anger to move us forward and make us strong.  Don't succumb to the anger that makes you put another dictator-wannabe in the Oval Office.......just because he's claims to be on "our" side.

THINK!!

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2015, 12:47:35 am »
There is no complacency involved in being opposed to Trump.  In fact, it is my lack of complacency that makes me so strongly against having him in the Oval Office.  I am sick to death of having a childish narcissist Democrat running the country, and it makes me sick to think that people are considering putting another one just because they're angry.

Use the anger to move us forward and make us strong.  Don't succumb to the anger that makes you put another dictator-wannabe in the Oval Office.......just because he's claims to be on "our" side.

THINK!!

Exactly!  Well said!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2015, 12:50:48 am »
Although I do not support Trump, I also do not think he would be a disaster in the general election.  The "Low Info Voters" are pop culture obsessed, and Trump is a pop icon.  Ultimately, they'll vote for the guy because they saw how good he was at getting things done on television, plus they'd rather see him on their TV screens for the next four years than Hillary.

I actually think Trump would with the floor with Hillary.  But I still would prefer he was not the nominee. He has taken too many positions I disagree with.

Online 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2015, 01:04:43 am »
I don't understand the reaction.

Look, we put Dole up, and he lost.
We put McCain up, and he lost.
We put Romney up, and he lost.
If we put another Bush up, he will lose.

What is the problem? What is the difference?

If everyone is so sure Trump will lose, then why do they care? How is that any different from what has always happened?

If we run Trump and he loses, then it will be the same result as if we ran Romney or, McCain, or Jeb.

Since we lose every time anyway, then there is no risk in running Trump. We will just wind up where we would be anyway.

The fear from the Pubs is not that he will lose. This is a false argument.

What they fear, is that he would win. And Republicans are not used to, or prepared for actually winning an election. It scares them.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #45 on: November 15, 2015, 01:16:02 am »

I study all the candidates. Not that it matters much. I rarely back a winner in primary or general elections. With my luck, events frequently unfold without my approving of them. I suspect the same will happen this time. But, there's always that chance.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #46 on: November 15, 2015, 01:25:48 am »

If everyone is so sure Trump will lose, then why do they care? How is that any different from what has always happened?

If we run Trump and he loses, then it will be the same result as if we ran Romney or, McCain, or Jeb.

Since we lose every time anyway, then there is no risk in running Trump. We will just wind up where we would be anyway.

What they fear, is that he would win. And Republicans are not used to, or prepared for actually winning an election. It scares them.

It scares them that the guy in the Oval Office, while a registered Republican, would not be a 'Team' player.

You know a GOP-controlled Congress would keep him in check, so it's strange when the only complaint that cuts through all the bullshit is that he's tasteless and rude.

Well, BFD!   I'll bet Vince Lombardi or George Patton were tasteless and rude too!  But they were winners.

And like it or not, Trump is a winner.   We should be glad he's on our side, and doesn't have political proclivities like Bernie Sanders.

....saw a Prius with a "Bernie in 16!" bumper sticker on it....driven by a twenty something Korean.   Flipped him off real good, I tell ya!!   :laugh:
« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 01:26:37 am by DCPatriot »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #47 on: November 15, 2015, 01:31:33 am »

"Fear of winning"?  That must be it.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Online 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #48 on: November 15, 2015, 01:50:58 am »
"Fear of winning"?  That must be it.

Well,  there certainly is no fear of losing.
That can be proven histrically, over and over again.

Oceander

« Reply #49 on: November 15, 2015, 02:25:42 am »

Mmmm.  The wonderful smell of tripe.

President Trump would be a disaster.  Not as much of a disaster as a President Clinton, granted, but a disaster nonetheless, and would most likely make it impossible for the republicans to win the White House, or even control Congress, for another 20 years.

The man is a hater.  He's a big-government liberal.  He's a psychopath.