Author Topic: Donald Trump tells 10-year-old that ‘space is terrific’ but potholes are more important  (Read 2628 times)

Offline kevindavis007

MANCHESTER, N.H. — One of the last questions Donald Trump took during a "Politics and Eggs" event here early Wednesday morning came from a 10-year-old boy who recently won a spelling bee.

"And are you a spelling maven?" Trump asked, continuing his habit of making it difficult for question-askers to spit out their whole query before he launches into an answer that may or may not relate to what they asked.

The local boy laughed, told the presidential candidate "yeah," and said: "I want to know your opinions on NASA."

Trump wanted to make sure he correctly heard the question, turning to those around him to clarify if the boy was asking about the national space program or the North American Free Trade Agreement. A woman near the boy shouted: "Space!"

"You know, in the old days, it was great," Trump told the boy, along with an audience of more than 600. "Right now, we have bigger problems — you understand that? We've got to fix our potholes. You know, we don't exactly have a lot of money."

Read More: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2015/11/11/donald-trump-tells-10-year-old-that-space-is-terrific-but-potholes-are-more-important/

Now I know why I hate this jerk..
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
I think the point that Trump was making and keep in mind he was speaking in relative terms to a 10 year old is our infrastructure is falling apart at the seams and money needs to be allocated to that rather than allocate money to a space program.  Sorry, but as much good that has come out of NASA over the years, I tend to agree with Trump.  We are trillions of dollars in debt.  Let's spend money on what is necessary and get our country up and running again and then we can think about spending money elsewhere.

I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline aligncare

I think the point that Trump was making and keep in mind he was speaking in relative terms to a 10 year old is our infrastructure is falling apart at the seams and money needs to be allocated to that rather than allocate money to a space program.  Sorry, but as much good that has come out of NASA over the years, I tend to agree with Trump.  We are trillions of dollars in debt.  Let's spend money on what is necessary and get our country up and running again and then we can think about spending money elsewhere.

Yeah, the universe will still be there...it's not as if it's going anywhere. :laugh:

Offline kevindavis007

Our infrastructure is not falling apart. We do have the money, however the money is being spent elsewhere. Besides NASA takes .5% of our national budget.. It is like popping a zit while ignoring a cancerous mole.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline NavyCanDo

If I would have said in 1983, that in the coming 21st century we could no longer get ourselves into orbit, much less space without the Russians taking us there, people would have called me a damn liar.

This whole we can't afford it sounds a lot like the malaise speech of Jimmy Carter - the we're no longer a great country, and we need to face the awful truth speech.  I like optimism from a president. The whole country does. What Trump said was was the opposite, and sounded like a Democrat.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline kevindavis007

If I would have said in 1983, that in the coming 21st century we could no longer get ourselves into orbit, much less space without the Russians taking us there, people would have called me a damn liar.

This whole we can't afford it sounds a lot like the malaise speech of Jimmy Carter - the we're no longer a great country, and we need to face the awful truth speech.  I like optimism from a president. The whole country does. What Trump said was was the opposite, and sounded like a Democrat.

I have been hearing we can't afford the space program cause of either the homeless, people are starving, and now that our 'infrastructure' is falling apart. 

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
If you go to the link and read the rest of the story - it fleshes out Trump's answer to the boy.

But it's not that Trump doesn't love space. After all, he once tweeted in August 2012: "It is very sad to see what @BarackObama has done with NASA. He has gutted the program and made us dependent on the Russians."

"I love NASA," Trump said Wednesday morning. "I love what it represents, I love what it stands for, and I hope that someday in the not-too-distant future, we can get that going. Space is terrific. Space is terrific."

Trump added that a lot of private companies have started to explore space, which he deemed "great" and "maybe even better" than the government leading such exploration.

"You love it, I can see, right? You love it?" Trump asked the boy, who eagerly responded yes. "Whatever it is you love, you do. Okay, one more question!"

I think the idea of private companies exploring space is an excellent idea.  His answer to the boy does not make me hate his guts.

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline mountaineer

Hey now, NASA's primary stated goal is outreach to Muslims, and we all know how crucial that is.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline sinkspur

If you go to the link and read the rest of the story - it fleshes out Trump's answer to the boy.

I think the idea of private companies exploring space is an excellent idea.  His answer to the boy does not make me hate his guts.

How does a CEO go to his board and justify "exploring space"?  A space program has always been an effort of a united country.  Remember Kennedy's challenge to go to the moon?

Now, I'm not one who gives a damn if we never go into space.  But space was always something "over the horizon" a challenge the country could undertake together.

Nobody's going to get excited over potholes.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
How does a CEO go to his board and justify "exploring space"?  A space program has always been an effort of a united country.  Remember Kennedy's challenge to go to the moon?

Now, I'm not one who gives a damn if we never go into space.  But space was always something "over the horizon" a challenge the country could undertake together.

Nobody's going to get excited over potholes.

I vividly remember watching the moon landing on television with my father, sister and brother - I swell with pride thinking about it.  I would love to see us get seriously excited about something like that again, instead of wasting so much of our resources on terrorism, wars on poverty and drugs and trying to prop up an economy under assault by our own government.

Very depressing to think about what we could be achieving. 

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
"You know, in the old days, it was great," Trump told the boy, along with an audience of more than 600. "Right now, we have bigger problems — you understand that? We've got to fix our potholes. You know, we don't exactly have a lot of money."

Makes me more inclined to vote FOR him.

Has not the meme in this (and other) conservative forums in recent years been how we are literally spending ourselves into a state beyond bankruptcy?

And here is an eminently pragmatic and practical response from Trump:
Fix the potholes first.
Because -- as a nation -- we no longer "have a lot of money".

He's dead-on right.

Offline kevindavis007

Makes me more inclined to vote FOR him.

Has not the meme in this (and other) conservative forums in recent years been how we are literally spending ourselves into a state beyond bankruptcy?

And here is an eminently pragmatic and practical response from Trump:
Fix the potholes first.
Because -- as a nation -- we no longer "have a lot of money".

He's dead-on right.

He is wrong.. I think that FDR had infrastructure projects and it didn't work.. Again NASA TAKES .5% OF OUR NATIONAL BUDGET! How is cutting NASA to pay for projects for his mob friends going to help his nation??

Offline NavyCanDo

The Space Shuttle program ended how long ago? I don't see private companies exactly taking that leap yet.   And this is far more important  than trying to get to the moon again, or to Mars. How about continuing Reagans legacy of missile defense from space - wrongly called "Star Wars" when in reality it would eventually have meant the obsolescence of ICBMs. We have now handed the lead to Russia and China to find their own uses of space for their own military and espionage purposes.     
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline kevindavis007

The Space Shuttle program ended how long ago? I don't see private companies exactly taking that leap yet.   And this is far more important  than trying to get to the moon again, or to Mars. How about continuing Reagans legacy of missile defense from space - wrongly called "Star Wars" when in reality it would eventually have meant the obsolescence of ICBMs. We have now handed the lead to Russia and China to find their own uses of space for their own military and espionage purposes.   

I do know that Rubio, Bush, Carson and Cruz is pro space.. While Trump and Paul is anti space.. I imagine that Clinton and Sanders is clearly anti space.

Offline flowers

Our infrastructure is not falling apart. We do have the money, however the money is being spent elsewhere. Besides NASA takes .5% of our national budget.. It is like popping a zit while ignoring a cancerous mole.
He is right. I have family in California. They say the roads are horrible.

Offline kevindavis007

Then maybe the state of California for should be spending money on the roads. Not some stupid high speed rail. It just a scam to help his mob friends

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
Manned space missions are a complete waste of money IMHO.  We get much more bang for our bucks with unmanned probes and robots, and that is where NASA ought to be focused.  The idea of a manned mission to Mars is purely a political play.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...

I do know that Rubio, Bush, Carson and Cruz is pro space.. While Trump and Paul is anti space.. I imagine that Clinton and Sanders is clearly anti space.

I think Clinton and Sanders are mentally in outer space, and they seem to like the environment, so I'd say the jury is still out.
The Republic is lost.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
If infrastructure is falling apart where you live, you should get all over the LOCAL political figures.

Don't expect the FedGov or President to solve a local problem.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline flowers

Then maybe the state of California for should be spending money on the roads. Not some stupid high speed rail. It just a scam to help his mob friends
True....it is a scam to employ his buddies for decades.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 07:29:49 pm by flowers »

Offline NavyCanDo

And California pothole repairs should be funded by Washington D.C.?   

Offline NavyCanDo

Manned space missions are a complete waste of money IMHO.  We get much more bang for our bucks with unmanned probes and robots, and that is where NASA ought to be focused.  The idea of a manned mission to Mars is purely a political play.

I agree there may not be a lot of payback from exploration of our solar system, and it may be a waste of money - But there is everything to be gained by being the LEADER in Earth to Orbit space flight. Letting Russia take over that role was a huge mistake.

Offline flowers

And California pothole repairs should be funded by Washington D.C.?
no.....WAit..........don't you mean taxpayers? What money does D.C. have of its own?   :smokin:

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
No Donald. Potholes are NOT more important to a ten year old.

Dreams are.

Your campaign slogan is "Make America Great Again."

What made it so great? Not an economy, not production, not even money. It was dreamers and the chance the American way of life gave them to chase the damned things. Seriously, that was a slam dunk question that you could have hit out of the park without even trying.

Life'll kick the idealism and dreams out of the kid soon enough.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink