Author Topic: Ben Carson Backs White House’s TPP Trade Deal  (Read 2020 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Ben Carson Backs White House’s TPP Trade Deal
« on: November 06, 2015, 11:35:14 pm »
Republican presidential candidate Ben Carson said Friday that he supports the Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement negotiated by the White House – aligning himself more with the GOP’s establishment wing than with the social conservatives who have powered his campaign.

Mr. Carson’s backing of the 12-nation Pacific trade deal places him at odds with Donald Trump, his chief rival for support among anti-establishment Republicans. Mr. Carson had expressed skepticism about the TPP, saying in a June interview with the Huffington Post that he would not give President Barack Obama “fast-track” authority to negotiate the deal.

Now, a day after the White House posted the text of the TPP deal online, Mr. Carson’s campaign said Friday that he supports the final product.

Mr. Carson, spokesman Doug Watts said, “believes the agreement does help to level the playing field in key markets and is important to improve our ties to trading partners in Asia as a counterbalance to China’s influence in the region.” Mr. Watts said Mr. Carson is “now inclined to support TPP, with reservations.”...

.... http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2015/11/06/ben-carson-backs-white-houses-tpp-trade-deal/

Far more troubling than pyramids or parsing the word admission versus invite.

Offline sinkspur

Re: Ben Carson Backs White House’s TPP Trade Deal
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2015, 11:39:49 pm »
This is not a negative for Carson.  Most of the GOP candidates support TPP as do most GOP Congresspeople.

So it's Trump and Rand Paul who are out of step with the Republican Party.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2015, 11:46:21 pm »
Far more troubling than pyramids or parsing the word admission versus invite.

I agree.  There are many things about Carson that trouble me.  I hope he goes the way of Santorum and Huckabee after Iowa. 

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2015, 12:05:57 am »
Actually, I support it.. I do think that Free Trade is good and protectionism is bad.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline GAJohnnie

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2015, 12:09:09 am »
Let see

Cruz: Votes for fast tracking TPP. Now says he is against it.

Carson: I was against TPP but now that we see the final product, there are things in here we can work with.

Trump: Our trade deals are a disaster, wait until I am President and I will negotiate real good trade deals.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2015, 12:13:38 am »
Let see

Carson: I was against TPP but now that we see the final product, there are things in here we can work with.

Trump: Our trade deals are a disaster, wait until I am President and I will negotiate real good trade deals.

Until Trump changes his mind.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2015, 12:20:32 am »
The CEO, all the top executives, and the board of directors of the Fortune 500 company that employs me and who deposits a nice paycheck into my checking account every other week, support TPP. One quarter of our sales are to China, and if following Trumps plan my company we would be highly penalized, so much so that it would severely hamper production and our ability to compete with the Europeans who are after our Chinese market share. 
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2015, 12:29:45 am »
The CEO, all the top executives, and the board of directors of the Fortune 500 company that employs me and who deposits a nice paycheck into my checking account every other week, support TPP. One quarter of our sales are to China, and if following Trumps plan my company we would be highly penalized, so much so that it would severely hamper production and our ability to compete with the Europeans who are after our Chinese market share.

In reality protectionism failed throughout history of this country.. We need to compete on a global scale..

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2015, 12:57:33 am »
Let see

Cruz voted based on what he was told by the Majority Leader of the Senate which was a lie; in fact Cruz stood before the Senate and called McConnell out on his lie and made it known as to why he voted the way he did.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Oceander

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2015, 01:00:11 am »
Let see

Of those three statements, Carson's is the best.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2015, 01:04:05 am »
At least we are back to discussing an actual tangible issue.

Oceander

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2015, 01:04:50 am »
At least we are back to discussing an actual tangible issue.

Shhh!  Don't let Trump hear you!

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2015, 03:01:46 am »
Of those three statements, Carson's is the best.
:amen:

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2015, 03:03:58 am »
Actually, I support it.. I do think that Free Trade is good and protectionism is bad.
RINO, RIINNNOOO, RINO, RINO, RINO, RINO, RINO, RINO, RINO,(passes out briefly), RINO, RINO, RINO, RIIINNNO, RINO, RINO.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2015, 03:14:20 am »
RINO, RIINNNOOO, RINO, RINO, RINO, RINO, RINO, RINO, RINO,(passes out briefly), RINO, RINO, RINO, RIIINNNO, RINO, RINO.

(Be honest, you used to work for Monty Python, right?) Because, yer cracking me up tonight!

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2015, 03:24:52 am »

I'm a RINO and I'm proud of it..

« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2015, 03:43:53 am »
(Be honest, you used to work for Monty Python, right?) Because, yer cracking me up tonight!
It warms my heart that I could put a smile on your face, Sir, in between my infuriating anti-Trump posts.  Humor and empathy are 2 traits that separate us from the animals.  I know I'll never be an intellectual giant like Buckley, Burke, or Sowell...but if I can lighten the mood on a forum discussing heady and heated topics...and remind the forum that we are all human...I feel like I'm doing my part, while you guys do the heavy lifting of dissecting and discussing the news of the day.

also I steal all my best jokes, so it's easier than actually thinking.  Thinking is really hard work.  I try to do as little of it as possible.

Offline Longiron

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2015, 04:05:10 pm »

Do you think Fair Trade is a good deal?

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2015, 05:55:35 pm »
I agree.  There are many things about Carson that trouble me.  I hope he goes the way of Santorum and Huckabee after Iowa.

Noooooooooo!  We MUST rally around him!!  We MUST!!  His candidacy is SO worth all of our attention and energy!!!!!

(is the sarcasm tag necessary?   :whistle: )

Offline mrclose

« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2015, 02:47:20 am »
Maybe some of you should read the 5000+ pages?

(snip)
Speaker of the House Rep. Paul Ryan (R-WI) previously denied that the Trans Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade deal impacted U.S. immigration; however, now that the full 5,544 pages of the TPP are public and being reviewed by experts, Ryan's statement was false.

Chapter 10 is a massive impact on our economy through immigration because it means that not only foreign companies will be coming to the United States to compete with American companies, but those foreign companies can send in their foreign employees - they don't have to hire Americans.

They don't have to pay American wages.

They are sending their own employees to the United States to provide a service and compete with American workers and American companies that are already providing that service, so you are going to displace American workers from jobs and you are going to undercut wages by increasing the supply of services.

Oh there's a heck of a lot more crap hidden within those 5000+ pages, consisting of thirty chapters!

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/11/06/tpp-trade-deal-hits-u-s-immigration-law-massive-way/
"Hell is empty, all the devil's are here!"
~ Self

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2015, 02:58:33 am »
Maybe some of you should read the 5000+ pages?

(snip)
Oh there's a heck of a lot more crap hidden within those 5000+ pages, consisting of thirty chapters!

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/11/06/tpp-trade-deal-hits-u-s-immigration-law-massive-way/

I wouldn't believe a single thing that's written in Brietbart these days.

Offline mrclose

« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2015, 02:59:16 am »
Then there is this:
Obamatrade's Preamble Backs Government Ownership of Business

http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/terence-p-jeffrey/obamatrade-text-affirms-legitimate-role-state-owned-enterprises

For those of you that don't understand the implications of this .. I am stealing one of the commentators very understandable explanations.
(With credit, of course)

(From a poster known only as Mark)

States should govern the markets and businesses within their jurisdiction, not compete against them.

States can very easily pass legislation that will handicap any business that does better than a competing state-run entity. Something private businesses cannot do.

State-run businesses can also draw revenue from state taxes, where the people of the state will be seen as investors.

How will you know what you are investing in? Private business draws capital from, and owes back monies to private investors, who know exactly what they are investing in and expect a return on investment. Generally speaking, those investors are the owners of the company, who invest at great risk.

What Obama is advocating, is thinly-veiled state communism. This concept can, and has a long, ugly history of suppressing a free enterprise-market.

I can only hope that you understand the implications this will have on America's future, because it will be a devastating turn toward communism.
~ Self

Offline mrclose

« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2015, 03:03:38 am »
I wouldn't believe a single thing that's written in Brietbart these days.

But you'll believe what you're told by ... who?

The manuscript is out there if you have the time to read all 5000+ pages.
~ Self

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2015, 03:22:13 am »
But you'll believe what you're told by ... who?

The manuscript is out there if you have the time to read all 5000+ pages.

Don't have time to read it. 
The people who don't support the TPP are the usual suspects:  Democrats, unions, protectionists, conspiracy nuts.

Don't quote somebody commenting on the TPP.  Quote the TPP, if the manuscript is out there.

Offline mrclose

« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2015, 03:30:46 am »
Don't have time to read it. 
The people who don't support the TPP are the usual suspects:  Democrats, unions, protectionists, conspiracy nuts.

Don't quote somebody commenting on the TPP.  Quote the TPP, if the manuscript is out there.
How about a true conservatives view, someone who has read it?

Sessions said this isn’t just a “trade agreement” or even a full-fledged treaty. It’s the creation of a new global governing structure akin to the European Union—one that cedes U.S. sovereignty to a yet-to-be-created international governing body.

“At bottom, this is not a mere trade agreement,” Sessions said. “It bears the hallmarks of a nascent European Union. It is another step towards a world where people, goods, and services can travel freely across international boundaries – and a world where those boundaries mean less and less every day.”

You trust Jeff Sessions?

http://www.sessions.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/news-releases?ID=711D14A5-8B65-4E4B-AAE1-7DCAA93EE60B

http://www.sessions.senate.gov/public/
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 03:36:01 am by mrclose »
~ Self