Author Topic: Imagining a World without Polls By Jonah Goldberg  (Read 2736 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Imagining a World without Polls By Jonah Goldberg
« on: November 06, 2015, 01:54:55 pm »
http://www.nationalreview.com/node/426669/print

Imagining a World without Polls
By Jonah Goldberg — November 6, 2015

What if the polls just stopped working?

Admittedly, this needs work as a plot device for a Stephen King novel. But for politics, it might be pretty awesome.

This week, businessman Matt Bevin won a stunning upset in the Kentucky governor’s race. It was only the second time in more than four decades that a Republican took the governor’s mansion in the Bluegrass State. Bevin’s margin of victory: nine percentage points.

Bevin’s win was big political news for a lot of reasons. Kentucky’s state health-care exchange, Kynect, was supposed to be the shining success story of Obamacare. Bevin vowed to dismantle it, a fatal mistake according to many inside-the-Beltway types.

The results in Kentucky — along with state-senate elections in Virginia — also demonstrated that however successful Barack Obama has been as a president, he’s been terrible for the Democratic party. On his watch, Democrats have lost more than 900 seats in state legislatures, 12 governorships, 69 congressional seats, and 13 Senate seats. The GOP, according to the Washington Post’s Chris Cillizza, has full or partial control of 76 percent of state legislatures.

continued
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: Imagining a World without Polls By Jonah Goldberg
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2015, 01:58:42 pm »
Ahem!  As I have been saying polls are pretty much worthless and getting more so every day because of lifestyle changes among the polling sample base.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline aligncare

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2015, 02:46:51 pm »

"What if the polls just stopped working?"

Well then, poll dancers hit the floor.

Oceander

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2015, 01:16:50 am »
"What if the polls just stopped working?"

Well then, poll dancers hit the floor.

:silly:

:beer:

Oceander

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2015, 01:20:37 am »

Imagine there's no heaven
It's easy if you try
No hell below us
Above us only sky
Imagine all the people living for today
Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion too
Imagine all the people living life in peace

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2015, 05:35:40 pm »
Ahem!  As I have been saying polls are pretty much worthless and getting more so every day because of lifestyle changes among the polling sample base.

I don't think polls are worthless.  They are often designed for a desired result and those results are used to set the agenda and media dialogue.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2015, 05:51:01 pm »

I don't think polls are worthless.  They are often designed for a desired result and those results are used to set the agenda and media dialogue.

I that regard you are entirely correct!    :thud:
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 05:54:18 pm by Bigun »

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2015, 06:10:46 pm »
I that regard you are entirely correct! 

:beer:

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2015, 06:46:52 pm »
Is there a post election analysis for Kentucky? Why were the latest polls so far off?

If done correctly, there is nothing wrong with the "science" of polling, which is merely statistical sampling.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2015, 06:54:57 pm »
Is there a post election analysis for Kentucky? Why were the latest polls so far off?

If done correctly, there is nothing wrong with the "science" of polling, which is merely statistical sampling.

I have never argued otherwise.  What I do argue with is accepting any and all public consumption polling at face value.  The same people who know how to do perfectly valid statistical sampling know how to skew the sample in any fashion they might wish to skew it and routinely do so.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2015, 07:00:51 pm »
I have never argued otherwise.  What I do argue with is accepting any and all public consumption polling at face value.  The same people who know how to do perfectly valid statistical sampling know how to skew the sample in any fashion they might wish to skew it and routinely do so.

Any thoughts on why the polls were wrong, for Kentucky?

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2015, 07:04:07 pm »
Any thoughts on why the polls were wrong, for Kentucky?

Yes. Primarily faulty assumptions and the rapidly increasing difficultly in obtaining a valid sample.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2015, 07:30:55 pm »
Yes. Primarily faulty assumptions and the rapidly increasing difficultly in obtaining a valid sample.
I am interested in two largely separate subjects;

--Dishonest polls intended to influence the outcome, and

--Difficulty to take a statistically representative sample in "fair" polls

The first makes no attempt to be accurate, but the latter does.

I am interested in the shortcomings of polling, with regard to methods and the latter.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2015, 01:52:40 am »
I don't talk to pollsters.

Mainly, because the phone isn't answered at my house.

But even if I did have to talk to one of them, I'd lie!

Offline PzLdr

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2015, 01:18:42 pm »
I'd rather imagine one without Liberals. Most polls don't deliberately lie all the time.
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2015, 01:41:49 pm »
I am interested in two largely separate subjects;

--Dishonest polls intended to influence the outcome, and

--Difficulty to take a statistically representative sample in "fair" polls

The first makes no attempt to be accurate, but the latter does.

I am interested in the shortcomings of polling, with regard to methods and the latter.

What you and I would call "dishonest" polls are the ones which start with an end result  and then design the poll to get exactly that result.  It's all about making the necessary assumptions, knowing how to frame questions, who to call, and what time to call ect. These are done ALL the time for all kinds of reasons.

"Honest" polls  are those which actually seek to measure the opinions of certian spectrum of the population about a specific subject (general public, voters, registered voters, republican primary voters, etc.) . 

Those polls require accurated data about the spectrum of opinions they seek to measure and the ability to contact a broad spectrum of the folks within that spectrum on a timely basis. Both of those things are becoming increasingly difficult to get/do for a variety of reasons including the increasing mobility of the general population (data becomes outdated much more quickly now than in the past), greatly reduced numbers of people who have actual land line telephones, and the increasing unwillingness of those wh do have them to participate in the poll. to name a few.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2015, 01:52:28 pm »

What you and I would call "dishonest" polls are the ones which start with an end result  and then design the poll to get exactly that result.  It's all about making the necessary assumptions, knowing how to frame questions, who to call, and what time to call ect. These are done ALL the time for all kinds of reasons.

"Honest" polls  are those which actually seek to measure the opinions of certian spectrum of the population about a specific subject (general public, voters, registered voters, republican primary voters, etc.) . 

Those polls require accurated data about the spectrum of opinions they seek to measure and the ability to contact a broad spectrum of the folks within that spectrum on a timely basis. Both of those things are becoming increasingly difficult to get/do for a variety of reasons including the increasing mobility of the general population (data becomes outdated much more quickly now than in the past), greatly reduced numbers of people who have actual land line telephones, and the increasing unwillingness of those wh do have them to participate in the poll. to name a few.

A common problem with political polls is that they necessarily depend on assumptions based upon previous election cycles, especially those immediately preceding. Even as facts, conditions and circumstances change on the ground, standardized methodologies assume stasis, and thus introduce error into their own measurements. 
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2015, 01:56:59 pm »
A common problem with political polls is that they necessarily depend on assumptions based upon previous election cycles, especially those immediately preceding. Even as facts, conditions and circumstances change on the ground, standardized methodologies assume stasis, and thus introduce error into their own measurements.

Exactly right! That is precicely what I meant when I simply said  "bad assumptions".

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2015, 06:25:39 pm »
So if the polls are no good, is Santorum really in the lead in Iowa and not Trump? He won Iowa last time.

No, we accept Trump is leading, because of polls. Then we turn around and say we don't believe polls.

I am interested in how Bevin won in Kentucky. Why polls were wrong, what the GOP di to get better turnout.

And to learn if Bevin's campaign made effective use of electronic media.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2015, 06:30:43 pm »

It would be interesting to see how differently people look at candidates without group/tribal mentality. How much of what is popular to each of us is because it is perceived popular to those like us?  There are certain candidates who have run before but didn't get an iota of support because the media pretty much ignored them, then later they run but they are given attention so it creates a popularity cycle.

Oceander

« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2015, 10:56:35 pm »
So if the polls are no good, is Santorum really in the lead in Iowa and not Trump? He won Iowa last time.

No, we accept Trump is leading, because of polls. Then we turn around and say we don't believe polls.

I am interested in how Bevin won in Kentucky. Why polls were wrong, what the GOP di to get better turnout.

Good point.  The first part might be confirmation bias.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2015, 12:41:46 am »

I live in Kentucky.  For weeks, months even - I got an occasional email or flyer from Bevin's campaign and heard an occasional commercial on the air.  I got a little worried because I was hearing anti-Bevin commercials which were really over the top lies - like Bevin wanted to drug-test older people on Medicare.  They were revolting commercials and they seemed to air at every commercial break on the radio.  The ones I saw on TV were equally prevalent and dishonest. 

As it got closer to the election - a few weeks before - polls were saying Bevin was five points behind Conway.  I was in despair and really had resigned myself we were going to get another crappy Democrat governor (we've gotten used to that here).  A day or two before the election, I heard Bevin on Beck's show and Hannity's show and it seemed he was playing down his chances of winning - giving the statistics that we've only had - like two Republican governors in 75 years.  Depressing!

But, Bevin said the polls were tightening and they were pretty much tied - he was begging people to get out and vote.  When I voted - I was the only voter at the polling location.  I hadn't seen that in a while! 

I kept checking the election returns and saw Bevin was slightly ahead - but I figured Louisville or Lexington hadn't come in yet.  When they called it for Bevin - you could have knocked me over!

The only explanation I can think of (other than cheating by grossly manipulating the polls) is that Conway's commercials were so insulting and on so very often all through every single day - that people just got sick to death of hearing them.  I know I was.

Couple that with the state going bankrupt covering the thousands of new people on Medicaid because of Obamacare - and that October 31st was the last day our power plant was able to get coal, 800 people laid off at our local steel plant.......our state is like 70% Democrat - old time union job Democrats.  I think the Democrats just didn't have the heart to get out and vote.

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

- J. R. R. Tolkien