Author Topic: Christie, Huckabee relegated to undercard at next GOP debate  (Read 656 times)

Offline Paladin

Christie, Huckabee relegated to undercard at next GOP debate
« on: November 06, 2015, 02:14:23 am »
"NEWARK, N.J. (AP) — Chris Christie and Mike Huckabee have been bumped from the main stage at next week's GOP presidential debate, while George Pataki and Lindsey Graham have been cut from the lineup altogether.

Debate sponsor Fox Business Network announced the moves Thursday evening, dealing a major blow to all four candidates, particularly Christie, the New Jersey governor, and Huckabee, a former Arkansas governor, as they struggled to stand out in the crowded Republican field amid signs of momentum in states where the first primary contests will be held.

The decision underscores concerns about the pivotal role that national opinion surveys have been playing in shaping the contest for the GOP nomination. Statistically, pollsters say, there is no significant difference between candidates lumped together near the bottom of the pack in national polls, which often have a margin of error of 3 percentage points or more.

"I tell people, 'Ignore the national polls and just follow those early states,'" said Republican pollster Frank Luntz, who argues that early opinion surveys are notoriously unreliable. "Except that now national polls drive the debates, and debates drive the polling."

According to debate criteria issued by Fox Business, candidates must score 2.5 percent or higher in an average of the four most recent major polls conducted through Nov. 4 to be featured in the prime-time debate. They must hit the 1 percent mark to qualify for an undercard debate airing before the main event.

As a result of the new standards, the prime-time affair will feature eight candidates — the smallest lineup so far. Eleven candidates were featured in the party's opening primetime debate in August.

The prime-time lineup: businessman Donald Trump, retired neurosurgeon Ben Carson, former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush, Florida Sen. Marco Rubio, Texas Sen. Ted Cruz, former technology executive Carly Fiorina, Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul and Ohio Gov. John Kasich. The undercard event features just four candidates: Christie, Huckabee, former Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum and Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal."

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/christie-huckabee-relegated-to-undercard-at-next-gop-debate/ar-BBmTeYL?ocid=spartandhp
Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: Christie, Huckabee relegated to undercard at next GOP debate
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2015, 02:20:04 am »
Frank Luntz is absolutely right in what he says here! No question about it.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2015, 01:17:42 pm »
I was a little surprised at this as  I  thought that both candidate did very well in the last debate; apparently not enough to keep them in the race.  Unfortunately now that they aren't part of the top tier debates I see their chances of rising in the polls as slim.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2015, 01:51:07 pm »
The only reason Kasich made the team was because CNBC fired so many questions his way putting him in the spotlight. Christie or Huckabee are not in my top 5 - but both have very good things to say, and deliver them well. I would welcome them to the prime time event.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline musiclady

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2015, 01:53:32 pm »
The only reason Kasich made the team was because CNBC fired so many questions his way putting him in the spotlight. Christie or Huckabee are not in my top 5 - but both have very good things to say, and deliver them well. I would welcome them to the prime time event.

I think Christie and Huckabee have both done better than Kasich.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2015, 02:16:56 pm »
I DO NOT like allowing the media to pick our candidates for us and THAT is exactly what is going on here regardless of my personal prefferences in candidates.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2015, 02:51:50 pm »
The problem is that are too many candidates (Rand Paul), that have no shot of winning (Jeb Bush).  The 900 people GOP Presidential Race is no longer cute and candidates (Bobby Jindal) that have no chance right now or really had no chance in hell (Jim Gilmore)...
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 02:52:17 pm by kevindavis »
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”