General Category > Sports/Entertainment/MSM/Social Media

Serena Williams Call Black Lives Matter an 'Equality Movement,' While Giving Them Credit for Things They Don’t Do

(1/1)

rangerrebew:

Serena Williams Call Black Lives Matter an 'Equality Movement,' While Giving Them Credit for Things They Don’t Do
By Dylan Gwinn | November 2, 2015 | 4:57 PM EST

Tennis star Serena Williams spoke out in Wired Magazine on the subject of race and equality. Unfortunately, while doing so, she chose to give props to a group that is only concerned with race, and not at all with equality.

After talking about following through on her dream to open a school in Africa, and her strong desire to see more equal representation of blacks in the technology sector, Serena then decided to give props to a group that has absolutely nothing to do with either of those things:

“So to those of you involved in equality movements like Black Lives Matter, I say this: Keep it up. Don’t let those trolls stop you. We’ve been through so much for so many centuries, and we shall overcome this too (see “Get Up, Stand Up”). To other people, I say: When someone’s harassing someone else, speak up! J. K. Rowling spoke up for me this summer, and it was an amazing feeling—I thought, well, “I can speak up too.””

Wait, BLM is an equality movement? The same BLM that booed Martin O’Malley and attacked former NFL player Ray Lewis for daring to say that ‘All Lives Matter?’ Wouldn’t a movement based on equality be able to reflexively and without hesitation say that ‘All Lives Mater?’

And since when has BLM made the onward and upward social climb of black people the focus of their movement? The way Serena has seemingly made it her focus?

From the “About Us” tab on the BLM website, it states:

#BlackLivesMatter was created in 2012 after Trayvon Martin’s murderer, George Zimmerman, was acquitted for his crime, and dead 17-year old Trayvon was post-humously placed on trial for his own murder. Rooted in the experiences of Black people in this country who actively resist our de-humanization, #BlackLivesMatter is a call to action and a response to the virulent anti-Black racism that permeates our society. Black Lives Matter is a unique contribution that goes beyond extrajudicial killings of Black people by police and vigilantes.

It goes beyond the narrow nationalism that can be prevalent within Black communities, which merely call on Black people to love Black, live Black and buy Black, keeping straight cis Black men in the front of the movement while our sisters, queer and trans and disabled folk take up roles in the background or not at all.

Black Lives Matter affirms the lives of Black queer and trans folks, disabled folks, black-undocumented folks, folks with records, women and all Black lives along the gender spectrum.  It centers those that have been marginalized within Black liberation movements.  It is a tactic to (re)build the Black liberation movement.”

Not a whole lot about getting your kid the academic scholarship to MIT there. Serena’s intentions appear to be good and pure, but her understanding of a movement that is self-described as “Black Liberation,” and most noted for advocating violence, is not.

Source URL: http://newsbusters.org/blogs/culture/dylan-gwinn/2015/11/02/serena-williams-call-black-lives-matter-equality-movement-while

mountaineer:
Says another black millionaire athletic prodigy (like Tiger Woods) who likely never experienced racism a day in her life.   **nononono*

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version