Author Topic: Ben Carson Is Inspiring, but Not for President...Nicholas Kristof  (Read 2939 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/01/opinion/sunday/ben-carson-is-inspiring-but-not-for-president.html?src=me

Ben Carson Is Inspiring, but Not for President

OCT. 31, 2015

DR. BEN CARSON has the most moving personal narrative in modern presidential politics.

His mother, one of 24 children, had only a third-grade education. She was married at age 13, bore Ben and his brother, and then raised the boys as an impoverished single mother in Detroit.

As a young boy, Carson was a terrible student. “Most of my classmates thought I was the stupidest person in the world,” he recalls in his book “One Nation.” “They called me ‘Dummy.’ ”

But his mother responded by tightly limiting Ben’s television time and requiring the boys to read two books a week from the library, and then submit book reports to her, even though she couldn’t read them.

continued
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline aligncare

Re: Ben Carson Is Inspiring, but Not for President...Nicholas Kristof
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2015, 01:57:10 pm »

From the NYT editorial:

"The problem is that there’s growing evidence that Carson’s policy solutions are plain wrong. Social support programs for young children in particular nurture opportunity and even save public money in the long run. When done right, these are investments with a high return."

No evidence for this. Just feel-good progressive pablum.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2015, 02:03:28 pm »
Is this editorial trying to make up for the ugly leftist racist attacks on Carson (like calling him a 'coon')?
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2015, 02:04:55 pm »
From the NYT editorial:

"The problem is that there’s growing evidence that Carson’s policy solutions are plain wrong. Social support programs for young children in particular nurture opportunity and even save public money in the long run. When done right, these are investments with a high return."

No evidence for this. Just feel-good progressive pablum.

He gets out of it by saying 'when done right' ..........knowing that leftist social programs never have been, nor ever will be 'done right.'

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline aligncare

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2015, 02:09:47 pm »
He gets out of it by saying 'when done right' ..........knowing that leftist social programs never have been, nor ever will be 'done right.'

There's no evidence government can qualitatively replace good parenting. Carson's life story cited in the introduction is all the proof one needs. Ben Carson's mother shaped Ben's life, not Detroit's public schools.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2015, 02:10:55 pm »

"Done right" to a leftest means that the problem is exaserbated to the max and NEVER EVER actually fixed!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2015, 03:13:46 pm »
Kristof is a disingenuous lefty, but he's right about Carson.

He is not qualified to be president.  He has not thought through most of his policies, which is why he's constantly changing them.  He shoots from the hip, then blames the media when he says something stupid.

Can't have that in a president. 
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2015, 03:19:24 pm »
Kristof is a disingenuous lefty, but he's right about Carson.  He is not qualified to be president. .../ 

:thumbsup2:

Offline musiclady

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2015, 03:54:29 pm »
There's no evidence government can qualitatively replace good parenting. Carson's life story cited in the introduction is all the proof one needs. Ben Carson's mother shaped Ben's life, not Detroit's public schools.

Exactly.  Carson is "inspiring" in spite of the soft bigotry of leftist polices, not because of them.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2015, 03:56:07 pm »
"Done right" to a leftest means that the problem is exaserbated to the max and NEVER EVER actually fixed!

So true.  If problems are solved, they lose their talking points, people are actually helped out of poverty, and they lose their voting base.  The last thing in the world they want is to help the poor.

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2015, 04:15:33 pm »
Exactly.  Carson is "inspiring" .... 

So is my dentist.  But that doesn't mean he's able to run the American economy, military and outmaneuver Congressional opposition.

Good man.  Bad fit.   :shrug:

Offline musiclady

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2015, 04:39:12 pm »
So is my dentist.  But that doesn't mean he's able to run the American economy, military and outmaneuver Congressional opposition.

Good man.  Bad fit.   :shrug:

That remains to be seen.

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2015, 04:44:37 pm »
That remains to be seen.

Let's hope not.   :0001:

Offline musiclady

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2015, 05:01:08 pm »
Let's hope not.   :0001:

So if he proves up to the task in the coming year, and somehow gets elected and serves as a strong President, you will be disappointed?

Weird.

rangerrebew

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2015, 05:10:07 pm »
Kristof is a disingenuous lefty, but he's right about Carson.

He is not qualified to be president.  He has not thought through most of his policies, which is why he's constantly changing them.  He shoots from the hip, then blames the media when he says something stupid.

Can't have that in a president.

It seems to me what you said of Carson was/is exactly true of Obama.  Based on what you said the only difference is one is liberal the other conservative.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2015, 05:15:46 pm »
I cannot vote for Carson because he is a Black guy. Of course he is a great guy and I would have no problem working for him.

Obama has turned me off of the whole perpetual Black grievances game.

Carson may seem reasonable and normal now, but I still fear the switch-aroo  like Obama did.

I am worn out with Blackness and constantly worrying only on Black issues. Screw the Blacks. We all have a tough life. If they can't deal with that, if they can't cut it, then 'Oh well', tough break man. But don't try to make your failure my fault. I don't care.

Carson will only give us years more of PC bullshit and I can't take anymore. I need a break for a while from Liberal insanity.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

rangerrebew

« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2015, 05:21:25 pm »
I, for one, appreciate your honesty and well reasoned position.  I remember a few years ago listening to Walter Williams say essentially the same thing you are; after Obama it would be difficult for a black man to ever be elected to POTUS.

Oceander

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2015, 07:40:41 pm »

Exactly.  The only way to do them right is to not do them at all.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2015, 07:43:35 pm »

:amen:  :amen: and  :amen:
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline musiclady

« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2015, 07:50:09 pm »

Ain't THAT the truth!

« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2015, 09:13:02 pm »
So if he proves up to the task in the coming year, and somehow gets elected and serves as a strong President, you will be disappointed?

Weird. 

You misunderstand.  I hope Carson doesn't get anywhere near the oval office.  We don't need another novice in the Oval Office when America needs a fighter on so many fronts.

Hope this explanation helps.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2015, 09:17:43 pm »
You misunderstand.  I hope Carson doesn't get anywhere near the oval office.  We don't need another novice in the Oval Office when America needs a fighter on so many fronts.

Hope this explanation helps.

It does help.  Nice to know you don't want the novice Trump in the Oval Office either.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2015, 09:57:52 pm »
It does help.  Nice to know you don't want the novice Trump in the Oval Office either.

:beer:

« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2015, 11:10:24 pm »

If Trump were a novice, I wouldn't want him there either.  But he's not.

Trump's got the business, management and international experience it takes.  Plus he's not owned by any person or any interest group----And he's got moxie!! 

I like him.  I like him a lot.   ^-^

Offline aligncare

« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2015, 11:30:06 pm »
If Trump were a novice, I wouldn't want him there either.  But he's not.

Trump's got the business, management and international experience it takes.  Plus he's not owned by any person or any interest group----And he's got moxie!! 

I like him.  I like him a lot.   ^-^

And don't forget, he's been preparing for the presidency for over 15 years. See the book he published in 2000, The America we deserve.