Author Topic: Paul Singer, Influential Billionaire, Throws Support to Marco Rubio for President  (Read 5031 times)

Oceander

I don't know about you guys, but I take all my political cues from billionaire, pro-amnesty hedge fund managers.  When one of them tells me how to vote, I listen.  And usually vote the opposite way.

:silly:

Not necessarily a bad idea, since hedge fund managers are not synonymous with the small businesses that are the backbone of a free market economy and, generally, speaking, almost always have their hands in the cookie jar when it comes to cronyism and liberal economic shakedowns.

Offline musiclady

That's the cold hard truth of it.  It's not good if you get the candidate you most agree with if he can't win in the general election.

Right.

And one of the things that looms large here is that Trump has a very poor chance of winning the general election.

It's one of his greatest weaknesses.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Oceander

Right.

And one of the things that looms large here is that Trump has a very poor chance of winning the general election.

Oh hush you silly hater you!  THE DONALD will show you; why, just the other day I heard he'd invented this new fangled contraption - sliced bread - that is going to revolutionize the world of sandwiches.   :smokin:

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Right.

That's your 'problem'......believing that your opinions are more mainstream than they really are.   :laugh:

We all fell victim to this malady back in 2012 when we thought Romney should have beaten Obama handily. 

Trump is 'stealing' Democrat voters right and center.  I believe more than enough to compensate Republicans who refuse to back him.   

And...those are from the stable of voters that Hillary Clinton is going to need.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Oceander

That's your 'problem'......believing that your opinions are more mainstream than they really are.   :laugh:

We all fell victim to this malady back in 2012 when we thought Romney should have beaten Obama handily. 

Trump is 'stealing' Democrat voters right and center.  I believe more than enough to compensate Republicans who refuse to back him.   

And...those are from the stable of voters that Hillary Clinton is going to need.

:bigsilly:

Offline musiclady

My statement had nothing to do with my 'opinion.'  Trump's unfavorability ratings are sky high.  People know his name, but don't like him.

Objectively, with his bad numbers, he doesn't have as good a chance to beat Hillary as several other potential nominees do.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Don't particularly care what Donald Trump says about dealing with the millions of illegals. 

Am a lot of things, but naive is not one of them.  I expect him to at the very least, secure the Southern border and SLAM and LOCK the door allowing LEGAL immigrants entering our country until we get rid of every Democrat/Leftist working in Immigration Control Enforcement (ICE)

I'll let everybody else get all twisted arguing over a candidate's conservative pedigree...because my focus is picking the one that has the best chance of defeating the Democrat next November.   Especially, if it's Hillary Clinton.

:hands:  :thumbsup2:  :hands:

Offline libertybele

My statement had nothing to do with my 'opinion.'  Trump's unfavorability ratings are sky high.  People know his name, but don't like him.

Objectively, with his bad numbers, he doesn't have as good a chance to beat Hillary as several other potential nominees do.

??? Polls I have seen show that Hillary has more of an unfavorability rating than Trump and he is winning in the polls against her.  I think once the primaries start in Feburary we are perhaps going to see a more definitive playing field emerging.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline musiclady

??? Polls I have seen show that Hillary has more of an unfavorability rating than Trump and he is winning in the polls against her.  I think once the primaries start in Feburary we are perhaps going to see a more definitive playing field emerging.

My point was that Trump's unfavorables are higher than other candidates running against him.

Your guy Cruz has a better shot against Hillary than Trump does.  Rubio definitely does.  Carson does.  Fiorina does.

Polls change and vary, but pretty much everyone running on the R side is a better choice against Hillary than Donald is.

Offline kevindavis007

My point was that Trump's unfavorables are higher than other candidates running against him.

Your guy Cruz has a better shot against Hillary than Trump does.  Rubio definitely does.  Carson does.  Fiorina does.

Polls change and vary, but pretty much everyone running on the R side is a better choice against Hillary than Donald is.

Donald has burned so many bridges.

Also the Democrats will use the following against Trump: Trump University scam, his 4 bankruptcies, and so on.

Sorry but my gut feeling tells me that Trump will be a bad choice as our nominee.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
musiclady wrote:
"I know he's been all over the map, but he has never been for open borders"

Rubio signed onto "the gang of eight" for immigration "reform" (i.e., amnesty) a few years' back.

He's since tried to cover his tracks.

But he is not ever to be trusted, particularly on immigration.

Sure, he looks nice, speaks well. Same as that guy who ran (and won) back in 2008.

It's no accident that he's got support from open borders folks with deep pockets!

Oceander

Don't particularly care what Donald Trump says about dealing with the millions of illegals. 

Am a lot of things, but naive is not one of them.  I expect him to at the very least, secure the Southern border and SLAM and LOCK the door allowing LEGAL immigrants entering our country until we get rid of every Democrat/Leftist working in Immigration Control Enforcement (ICE)

I'll let everybody else get all twisted arguing over a candidate's conservative pedigree...because my focus is picking the one that has the best chance of defeating the Democrat next November.   Especially, if it's Hillary Clinton.

(wish there was an even bigger silly).

The only way THE DONALD does that is through executive orders - in other words, by being nothing more than Obama in white face.

And where does he get the money for all these projects?  He has a track record of taking investors to the cleaners in bankruptcy - perhaps he'll do it by bankrupting the American taxpayer this time.

Oceander

musiclady wrote:
"I know he's been all over the map, but he has never been for open borders"

Rubio signed onto "the gang of eight" for immigration "reform" (i.e., amnesty) a few years' back.

He's since tried to cover his tracks.

But he is not ever to be trusted, particularly on immigration.

Sure, he looks nice, speaks well. Same as that guy who ran (and won) back in 2008.

It's no accident that he's got support from open borders folks with deep pockets!

Wish he'd stop being embarrassed about something that was one of the more genuinely leaderly things he's done.

Offline Longiron

The only way THE DONALD does that is through executive orders - in other words, by being nothing more than Obama in white face.

And where does he get the money for all these projects?  He has a track record of taking investors to the cleaners in bankruptcy - perhaps he'll do it by bankrupting the American taxpayer this time.

Your hatred for Trump is so bad that it has effective any judgement in reality, especially business you might at one time had. **nononono*

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

It is interesting to me that 4 years ago I was making the same argument in favor of Romney.  Others pointed out that Romney wasn't conservative enough and I would say he had the best shot at beating Obama.  Now I'm the guy saying Trump ain't conservative.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 03:07:21 am by Once-Ler »

Offline libertybele

Donald has burned so many bridges.

Also the Democrats will use the following against Trump: Trump University scam, his 4 bankruptcies, and so on.

Sorry but my gut feeling tells me that Trump will be a bad choice as our nominee.

Personally, I just don't see him as the nominee ... but perhaps that's just wishful thinking.

I think we will wind up with Trump, Rubio, Bush and maybe Cruz.  I don't see Carson or Fiorina in for the long haul.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Oceander

Your hatred for Trump is so bad that it has effective any judgement in reality, especially business you might at one time had. **nononono*

You haven't the slightest clue, period.

I made the effort, once, of trying to explain why I find Trump less than compelling, and was essentially told to STFU because you Trump-fetishists don't want to deal with the substance, don't want to try and either accept, or counter, a few of the facts that doesn't accord with your subjective view of what they should be.

So since I can't get you to engage on the substance, what else is there, other than laughing at your obvious cognitive dissonance.

Offline Longiron

I haven't seen you cite any "truth" about Rubio.  It's hilarious that you think I "can't handle" the truth about him, when you've gone off the deep end with silly assumptions about my support for Rubio.

Why don't you stay in the style of TOS and call me  a "Rubiobot?" 

It would make every bit as much sense as the drivel you've posted here.

Rubio is NOT for "open borders."  That is a plain and simple fact.  Whether I agree or disagree with him on any of his multiple positions on immigration, it is not helpful for people to say things that are simply not factual about him.

And the fact that one of his donors has an immigration policy I don't agree with has no relevance to the truth about Rubio.

(For the record, I'm still looking seriously at 4 or 5 candidates, of which Rubio is only one.  Since I haven't hitched my wagon to one candidate, I'm a tad more objective than poor Longiron here).

Wanda bet you will never hitch to one candidate and the reason is u will have to take a position and defend it on here. You will be complaining about Trump and never offer any reason that your candidate of choice is better. That is the easy Lo info way, just bitch but don't offer any better solutions. You are good it and offer no solutions just complaints.  **nononono*

Offline libertybele

It is interesting to me that 4 years ago I was making the same argument in favor of Romney.  Others pointed out that Romney wasn't conservative enough and would say he had the best shot at beating Obama.  Now I'm the guy saying Trump ain't conservative.

Romney wasn't my first choice, but I really had no problem voting for him.  The way the polls were looking and all the predictions, I pretty much thought he was going to slam dunk Obama... well...here we sit. 

Even with Hillary's criminal record the liberal lunatics will still vote for her.   :thud:

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!

Oceander, you have very strong opinions.  And so, state them. 

That said, this administration has been injecting $83 BILLION a month....for going on eight years...in quantitative easing.  That the source of the money.

Now go home and get your shoebox!    :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Oceander

Oceander, you have very strong opinions.  And so, state them. 

That said, this administration has been injecting $83 BILLION a month....for going on eight years...in quantitative easing.  That the source of the money.

Now go home and get your shoebox!    :laugh:

When the three stooges wear thin, I can always count on you.

Offline Longiron

You haven't the slightest clue, period.

I made the effort, once, of trying to explain why I find Trump less than compelling, and was essentially told to STFU because you Trump-fetishists don't want to deal with the substance, don't want to try and either accept, or counter, a few of the facts that doesn't accord with your subjective view of what they should be.

So since I can't get you to engage on the substance, what else is there, other than laughing at your obvious cognitive dissonance.

Typical response. Substance In your case is Bashing Trump but give no reasons other than name calling, dumb, etc but he is a billionaire are U? Just once make a case and defend your choice? Whoever told you to STFU was spot on until you take a stance on you candidate of choice. You won't because that takes a pair and that was gone a long time ago in the RINO community. One problem you cannot handle is Trump has connected with the American people and it will take another candidate to take him out. Not the media, pundits Trump haters, Libs, RinoGOP, they all have tried thus far and not succeeded. FYI it will not be Bushie or Rubio either. :chairbang:

Offline sinkspur

My gut tells me the same thing. I think we would be looking at the worst defeat in decades with Trump on the ticket. There must be others
like me who cannot get swallow the idea of backing someone running companies into massive bankruptcies multiple times and then declaring it
was just a wise use of bankruptcy laws. Should he be our nominee I will support him, but only at that time.
Now I won't throw out that anti-Trump statement without adding that I back Rubio at this time so people will know where I am coming from and can respond
with their dissatisfaction with Rubio and I know there is a lot, especially dealing with immigration laws. Personally, I firmly believe
that Rubio could bring in a big increase in conservative Hispanic votes and energize the GOP connection with this fast
growing voter group.

Of course you are right.  Rubio would bring in Hispanic conservatives, where Trump would drive them away with his divisive language on immigration. 

Trump's a loser, and I have faith that the GOP primary voters will realize that. Rubio is the future of the Republican party, he and Paul Ryan.  Granny Hillary will look like a worn out shoe next to Marco Rubio.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline musiclady

Wanda bet you will never hitch to one candidate and the reason is u will have to take a position and defend it on here. You will be complaining about Trump and never offer any reason that your candidate of choice is better. That is the easy Lo info way, just bitch but don't offer any better solutions. You are good it and offer no solutions just complaints.  **nononono*

You couldn't have said anything more boneheadedly wrong if you had been working at it.

But thanks for the TOS deja vu experience.  I haven't read anything this moronic since I left there years ago.....

(And note the apparent educational level of the one who is calling ME "Low info!"    :silly:)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 02:22:47 am by musiclady »

Oceander

My gut tells me the same thing. I think we would be looking at the worst defeat in decades with Trump on the ticket. There must be others
like me who cannot get swallow the idea of backing someone running companies into massive bankruptcies multiple times and then declaring it
was just a wise use of bankruptcy laws. Should he be our nominee I will support him, but only at that time.
Now I won't throw out that anti-Trump statement without adding that I back Rubio at this time so people will know where I am coming from and can respond
with their dissatisfaction with Rubio and I know there is a lot, especially dealing with immigration laws. Personally, I firmly believe
that Rubio could bring in a big increase in conservative Hispanic votes and energize the GOP connection with this fast
growing voter group.

I agree with you.