Author Topic: WORLD SERIES: KC vs. NY (KC up 2-0)  (Read 2913 times)

Online Lando Lincoln

Re: WORLD SERIES: KC vs. NY (KC up 2-0)
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2015, 01:45:12 pm »
I seem to remember a another game!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bR8lqTnrpBc

Yes!  Yes!  I was a bit young but yes!
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2015, 01:51:50 pm »
Back then, the first pitch for tonite would be a fastball behind the ass of Escobar (actually, high and tight).  Can you imagine Bob Gibson on the mound?  You'd have to have your things in order to step in the batters box in tonite's game.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 01:53:04 pm by Lando Lincoln »
John Steinbeck

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2015, 01:52:50 pm »
Yes!  Yes!  I was a bit young but yes!

I was in Jr. High but we all watched that game in the gym.  Everybody! Students and teachers!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2015, 01:54:04 pm »
Back then, the first pitch for tonite would be a fastball behind the ass of Escobar (actually, high and tight).  Can you imagine Bob Gibson on the mound?  You'd have to have your things in order to step in the batters box in tonite's game.

I wouldn't have said it quite that way but YES!!!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2015, 01:55:49 pm »
I was in Jr. High but we all watched that game in the gym.  Everybody! Students and teachers!

Bigun, same here but a little different.  Our teachers allowed us to have our little radios - just so they weren't "too loud".  A lot of it is technology, but another sign we have lost our innocence and maybe our soul.
John Steinbeck

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2015, 02:04:04 pm »
Bigun, same here but a little different.  Our teachers allowed us to have our little radios - just so they weren't "too loud".  A lot of it is technology, but another sign we have lost our innocence and maybe our soul.

Not to mention our MINDS!  When I think of what my ancestors sacraficed to give us this great country and see it's current stae...I don't want to talk about it!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2015, 02:08:56 pm »
I seem to remember a another game!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bR8lqTnrpBc

The 1960 World Series when I saw my boyhood idol, Mickey Mantle, cry! 

The three games won by the Yankees were blowouts.   Yet, they lost.

Ever since, my creed was unshakable.   Great pitching beats great hitting....EVERY TIME!
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2015, 02:14:41 pm »
The 1960 World Series when I saw my boyhood idol, Mickey Mantle, cry! 

The three games won by the Yankees were blowouts.   Yet, they lost.

Ever since, my creed was unshakable.   Great pitching beats great hitting....EVERY TIME!

True then! True Now!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2015, 02:17:23 pm »
15-inch pitchers mound back then too.  Those power pitchers were imposing. 
John Steinbeck

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2015, 02:22:58 pm »
15-inch pitchers mound back then too.  Those power pitchers were imposing.

Maybe it's just me but I don't think the new mound height is the advantage others seem to think it is. In fact I think it isn't an advantage at all but a hinderance instead.

Maybe that is by design to help the hitters.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 02:25:19 pm by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2015, 02:31:26 pm »
Maybe it's just me but I don't think the new mound height is the advantage others seem to think it is. In fact I think it isn't an advantage at all but a hinderance instead.

Maybe that is by design to help the hitters.

That is why it was lowered.  Pitchers were viewed to be too dominant.  I think it was lowered to 10 in 1969 or 1970.  1968 saw Denny McClain win 31 games, for example. 
John Steinbeck

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2015, 02:34:07 pm »
That is why it was lowered.  Pitchers were viewed to be too dominant.  I think it was lowered to 10 in 1969 or 1970.  1968 saw Denny McClain win 31 games, for example.

OK! I missed that! May have beren just a little distracted at the time having just returned from my free all expenses paid Souteast Asian vacation and getting marrried.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2015, 02:38:36 pm »
OK! I missed that! May have beren just a little distracted at the time having just returned from my free all expenses paid Souteast Asian vacation and getting marrried.

Yes, that would do it!  Only one AL hitter in 1968 had a .300 average - Carl Yastzremski at .301.  I just looked, it was lowered in 1969 because of the concern for pitching dominance.
John Steinbeck

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2015, 02:42:29 pm »
Yes, that would do it!  Only one AL hitter in 1968 had a .300 average - Carl Yastzremski at .301.  I just looked, it was lowered in 1969 because of the concern for pitching dominance.

Doesn't seem to have helped the hitters all that much (.182 hitters making a million a year)  and jucing the ball hasn't either.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 02:48:04 pm by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2015, 02:43:58 pm »

I would say that the 'breaking' ball coming from a higher elevation would definitely favor the pitcher. 

Also, back then the strike zone wasn't belt high....the way they seem to call it today.   And the plate back then wasn't a 'platter'...as too many umps deem it today.

Release points affect the 'break'...hold on too long and it'll bounce...not long enough and it sails...called a "hanging slider".
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2015, 02:50:37 pm »
I would say that the 'breaking' ball coming from a higher elevation would definitely favor the pitcher. 

Also, back then the strike zone wasn't belt high....the way they seem to call it today.   And the plate back then wasn't a 'platter'...as too many umps deem it today.

Release points affect the 'break'...hold on too long and it'll bounce...not long enough and it sails...called a "hanging slider".

The strike zone is SUPPOSED TO BE over any part of the plate anywhere between the top of the knee and the armpit.  Throw it above the belt these days and you will NEVER get a called strike!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2015, 02:59:00 pm »
Yes!  I forgot!

From Wikipedia:

Major League Baseball has occasionally increased or reduced the size of the strike zone in an attempt to control the balance of power between pitchers and hitters. After the record home run year by Roger Maris in 1961, the major leagues increased the size of the strike zone from the top of the batter's shoulders to the bottom of his knees. In 1968, pitchers such as Denny McLain and Bob Gibson among others dominated hitters, producing 339 shutouts. Carl Yastrzemski would be the only American League hitter to finish the season with a batting average higher than .300. In the National League, Gibson posted a 1.12 earned run average, the lowest in 54 years, while Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher Don Drysdale threw a record 58 and two-thirds consecutive scoreless innings during the 1968 season. As a result of the dropping offensive statistics, Major League Baseball took steps to reduce the advantage held by pitchers by lowering the height of the pitcher's mound from 15 inches to 10 inches, and by reducing the size of the strike zone for the 1969 season.
John Steinbeck

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2015, 03:02:16 pm »
Yes!  I forgot!

From Wikipedia:

Major League Baseball has occasionally increased or reduced the size of the strike zone in an attempt to control the balance of power between pitchers and hitters. After the record home run year by Roger Maris in 1961, the major leagues increased the size of the strike zone from the top of the batter's shoulders to the bottom of his knees. In 1968, pitchers such as Denny McLain and Bob Gibson among others dominated hitters, producing 339 shutouts. Carl Yastrzemski would be the only American League hitter to finish the season with a batting average higher than .300. In the National League, Gibson posted a 1.12 earned run average, the lowest in 54 years, while Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher Don Drysdale threw a record 58 and two-thirds consecutive scoreless innings during the 1968 season. As a result of the dropping offensive statistics, Major League Baseball took steps to reduce the advantage held by pitchers by lowering the height of the pitcher's mound from 15 inches to 10 inches, and by reducing the size of the strike zone for the 1969 season.

All of which is what I was refering to in the first place. They have ruined the game IMHO!

And they can stick their instant replay where the sun doesn't shine as well!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #43 on: October 31, 2015, 03:04:29 pm »
Chores beckon.  I enjoyed the chat and reminiscing of a bygone time.  Great day guys!
John Steinbeck

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #44 on: October 31, 2015, 03:07:45 pm »
Chores beckon.  I enjoyed the chat and reminiscing of a bygone time.  Great day guys!

:thumbsup:  :beer:

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #45 on: October 31, 2015, 03:32:15 pm »
Back for only a quick second. KC has to answer (um... retaliate), don't they?
John Steinbeck

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #46 on: October 31, 2015, 03:48:29 pm »
Back for only a quick second. KC has to answer (um... retaliate), don't they?

In the old days that would have been a given. Not sure about today.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
« Reply #47 on: October 31, 2015, 03:53:13 pm »
I still think this could be a longer series with home field and DH playing a role at the end. It's pretty obvious that the Mets are more comfortable at home. Today they a run a lefty out and the Royals have had more trouble with them. And like Syndergaard, Matz does not have all the innings on his arm this year that deGrom and Harvey do...not quite as worn down.  I think deGrom and Harvey will struggle as they have far more innings on their arms than they've ever had before and they are both max-effort pitchers.  I'd still call it KC in 6 or 7 but you can see now how dangerous the Mets hitters are, even with their best guy, Cespedes, hobbling.
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
« Reply #48 on: October 31, 2015, 04:00:09 pm »
Yeah, you will see something happen. I expect an umpire's warning before the game even starts. Syndergaard was stupid to speak out like he did.  They HAVE to go back to KC.  It might not happen right away, but it will happen.
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #49 on: October 31, 2015, 04:06:26 pm »
Syndergaard was stupid to speak out like he did.

AMEN! Whitey Ford would have  smileingly said something like "Yeah! That one got away from me a little bit!" and been done with it.

- J. R. R. Tolkien