Author Topic: John Boehner: Less Costly, Smaller Government Will Never Happen  (Read 539 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.newsmax.com/PrintTemplate.aspx/?nodeid=699816

Newsmax
John Boehner: Less Costly, Smaller Government Will Never Happen
Friday, October 30, 2015 12:56 PM

By: Sandy Fitzgerald

Now-former House Speaker John Boehner says that he came to Washington to fight for a smaller, less costly and more accountable government, and now that he's leaving the House, that still hasn't happened.

"I began to realize over the years there is no winning this fight," Boehner said in an interview with Fox News' Bill Hemmer on Thursday, just after his replacement, Paul Ryan, took the gavel.

The fight has been going on for over 200 years in Washington, he told Hemmer in the interview, which aired on Friday on the network's "America's Newsroom" program, and "it will be a constant struggle over how big should Washington be, how much should it take?"

Boehner said his biggest regret for the time he was speaker was the failure to reach the so-called "Grand Bargain," in 2012, which would have been an agreement with President Barack Obama and congressional leaders to curb spending while reducing the national debt and avoiding sequestration.

"I sat in the Oval Office with the president of the United States and [then-House Majority Leader] Eric Cantor, shook hands with the president and the deal was done," Boehner told Hemmer.

"$5 trillion in deficit reductions would have meant tens of trillions of dollars over the next 20 years in terms of really fixing our entitlement programs and getting us on to a much more solid foundation."

But instead, he said, Obama "walked away from the agreement and caused, really, the country to have a real struggle, because how are we going to raise the debt limit? How will we offset spending? The country went through a lot more than it needed to."

Still, Boehner said that he and Obama have had a good relationship, despite their disagreements about many issues.

"I think it's essential the leaders be able to work with each other, have a relationship, build some trust so we do the nation's business," said Boehner. "The president called me the day I announced my retirement and we had a nice conversation. At one point he said, 'Man, I'm going to miss you.' I said, 'Yes, you are, Mr. President, yes, you are.'"

And Boehner did leave office on a high point: Getting a pope to address a joint session of Congress. The speaker, a devout Catholic who was moved to tears while Pope Francis spoke, resigned his office the very next day.

But he said he does not have any regrets about quitting, as "it was the right decision, the right time. And you are right, I'm ready to go."
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: John Boehner: Less Costly, Smaller Government Will Never Happen
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2015, 05:14:50 pm »
So his answer to Obama screwing him is to bend over again and again and again and again...
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2015, 05:24:13 pm »
So his answer to Obama screwing him is to bend over again and again and again and again...

His answer will be to become a high-powered lobbyist, essentially joining the side of bigger, more costly government. We'll be the ones bending over. As always.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2015, 05:31:50 pm »
His answer will be to become a high-powered lobbyist, essentially joining the side of bigger, more costly government. We'll be the ones bending over. As always.

Yep! And it STILL pisses me off royally!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2015, 01:36:09 am »
John Boehner:
"Less Costly, Smaller Government Will Never Happen"

And it's exactly because of despicable elected officials like you, Mr. Boehner, as to why it won't.

Good riddance.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2015, 01:50:55 am »
Another "journalist" making up the news.  Boehner did not say "Less Costly, Smaller Government Will Never Happen."
« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 01:51:18 am by Once-Ler »